What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tips for a 1st Time Dad: HELP! (1 Viewer)

Skoo

Footballguy
My wife and I are expecting our first on April 3rd, found out a few weeks ago it's a boy!

Trying to do what I can to be prepared for the little guy, (though I know there's nothing that can really prepare you) more thinking of things I can buy or do around the house to get ready.

Bought a few things so far to start the baby-proofing, just wandering if you vets have some tips for me.

I know there's a million baby-related products and I know nothing about any of them so:

What products are absolutely essential/help make life easier?

What products are completely useless that I shouldn't waste my money on?

THANKS!  :thumbup:

Throw a diaper party.  Be sure to include on the invite not to bring any newborn or 1's.  They're in those for a month.  Maybe.  Bring 2's and higher.

Also, don't buy any toys.  Next trip to Aldi or Costco (get a membership), load up on boxes.  That's all they want to play in.  Toys are for suckers.

It's kind of context specific.  One thing I found was that a two level living space was a big pain in the *** with a newborn.  So I ended up making sure I had a complete solution to changing and feeding the baby on each level.  I put a minifridge and bottle warmer in the nursery so we didn't need to go downstairs to the kitchen.  And I put a changing station in the living room for the same reason. 

Relax the baby proofing, plenty of time before the kid actually starts moving around. Practice your swaddling and burping technique, keep lots of bibs on hand. We used our bouncer and fold-and-go for pretty much everything, maybe used the swing a little but not a ton.  

Dr. Brown's bottles if the wife isn't nursing

Mylicon drops for gas. kids scream sometimes because gas really hurts.  Mylicon drops are god-level solution.

swaddlers for sleeping

don't freak out about having total quiet, absolute perfect conditions for nap time, etc. that's just asking for trouble down the road. go about your normal life and adapt the kid to it.

• Smile
Reactions: Neo
Throw a diaper party.  Be sure to include on the invite not to bring any newborn or 1's.  They're in those for a month.  Maybe.  Bring 2's and higher.

Also, don't buy any toys.  Next trip to Aldi or Costco (get a membership), load up on boxes.  That's all they want to play in.  Toys are for suckers.
" enjoy your boxes little one"

"daddy is going in to the other room to play with mommys box"

Don't be above hand me downs.  Most kids clothes get worn once, maybe, before they grow out of it.  Accept them and pass on to others what you dont need/grows out of (obviously toss stained/ripped stuff, but most things can be passed on)

Don't be afraid to let grandparents help once in awhile so you can get some sleep.  Sleeping when they sleep isnt realistic.

Ear plugs are wonderful. If your wife is breastfeeding, there is nothing you can do to help at 3 am. Put earplugs in and get some sleep so you're both not tired and cranky all the time.

lol my Dad keeps saying we need to train him to be a left-handed reliever.

My wife and I both happen to be lefties, maybe we get a SUPER lefty?
Best job in sports, left handed reliever.  Pitch two one batter every other night and make a couple million per year....

Back to the question though... Dont stress, enjoy it, before too long the kid will wanting to watch Disney channel and be telling you how life works and you will miss the baby that just ate and slept so you could watch football.

Four sons, five kids in total (that I know of).....

Essential for me:  Baby Bjorn.  All five of my kids were happy campers in this thing.  Here's me last year.  Here's me over ten years ago.  Now, other than noting that my five kids have aged and destroyed me, you'll note no tears on the faces of my spawn.  That's because a happy child is a quiet child and they are happy because they are engaged and in a position they can't be in without help.  I'm happy because my hands are free to use the remote control, check scores on my phone or hold my beer.  I have cooked meals with the Bjorn, tended bar at parties with the Bjorn, lorded over my grill with the Bjorn....seriously, don't worry about how silly or femme this makes you look, you're going to want and need this.  Don't get the knock-off, don't get the Euro Wrap...get the Bjorn and just trust me. 

Get a good stroller. Don't get the MOST expensive stroller, but get a good one.  Try it out before you buy it.  Find one with good drink holders, room to store underneath, a retractable roof to keep out the sun or the rain (I'm in Oregon, so we walk in light rain) and make sure you can fold it up with ease to store in your trunk.  Jeep makes a good stroller....not top of the line, but solid.  

If people ask you what you need, you need gift cards.  And you need gift cards because you really don't know what you need right now.  But you will after the baby is born.  What did we need?  Diapers.  Diapers, diapers and more diapers.  Blessedly, my wife nursed my younger kids, so haven't bought an ounce of formula, but if your wife struggles with breastfeeding, you'll want those gift cards for formula.  It's $$$$$$$$$$.  Kids can live in onesies and since you're due in April, that means the first few months of his life will be in warm weather.  Forget loading up on clothes and as others have suggested, start buying for sizes down the line.  They grow really really fast.

Forget crap like Diaper Genies....just throw the damn diapers in the trashcan outside.  Forget about a wipe warmer or a bottle warmer for now.  You don't need them and if you find out you do, use one of the gift cards you asked for.  You don't HAVE to have a changing table either.  Use the sofa or a bed.  You also don't HAVE to make the nursery of his (your wife's) dreams.  He won't remember it and you'll just redo it when he's a 'big boy' at two.  For all the money you might drop creating the perfect nursery, use on a good (again, not the most expensive, just GOOD) crib and perhaps a nice rocking chair for your wife to use to rock the baby to sleep or nurse.  You can get a nice rocking chair on CL or Offerup.  No need to break the bank, but try it out first.

Oh, pro tip:  When you change your boy's diaper, point his wenis down towards his feet.  Trust me on this.  I've been peed on more than Kim Kardashian in a sex tape.  You learn from experience, but heed my advice.  Tip that cannon down.  Also, learn how to change a diaper like a NASCAR pit crew changes tires.  Start working on that right now.  Fresh air can be an open invite for little boys to fire at will.   

Some great advice in here! Thanks fellas!

I have been told that I'll be peed on, more than once lol.

The two things that freak me out at the moment are changing diapers and learning to survive on 3 hours of sleep or less.

Seriously, I have no idea how people cope with the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:

The two things that freak me out at the moment are changing diapers and learning to survive on 3 hours of sleep or less.

You'll get by.  We all have and do.  The adjustment is rough, but you'll figure it out.  Try to enjoy it, too.  You hear all of the bad stuff because bad stuff is what people want to get off their chest.  You'll blink and they'll be teenagers.  Sounds trite, but it's true.

You don't HAVE to have a changing table either.  Use the sofa or a bed.  You also don't HAVE to make the nursery of his (your wife's) dreams.  He won't remember it and you'll just redo it when he's a 'big boy' at two.  For all the money you might drop creating the perfect nursery, use on a good (again, not the most expensive, just GOOD) crib and perhaps a nice rocking chair for your wife to use to rock the baby to sleep or nurse.  You can get a nice rocking chair on CL or Offerup.  No need to break the bank, but try it out first.
pin it

Ear plugs are wonderful. If your wife is breastfeeding, there is nothing you can do to help at 3 am. Put earplugs in and get some sleep so you're both not tired and cranky all the time.

If she doesn't breastfeed, then yeah, suck it up princess and start drinking coffee.

You'll get by.  We all have and do.  The adjustment is rough, but you'll figure it out.  Try to enjoy it, too.  You hear all of the bad stuff because bad stuff is what people want to get off their chest.  You'll blink and they'll be teenagers.  Sounds trite, but it's true.
Thanks for all the advice man.

And I'm definitely super-excited for the whole thing, not really a worrier by nature though I'm sure that's about to change some :)

If she doesn't breastfeed, then yeah, suck it up princess and start drinking coffee.
Yeah, my older boys needed formula/bottles and I actually learned to like the 4am feedings.  It was so peaceful and quiet and I'd catch up on shows I missed on TIVO.  God, how I loved TIVO!

Congrats! My wife is due with our first on 2/7 so I'll follow along on tips as well. 

The best advice I can offer you being a couple months ahead...when it comes to registering for things/buying stuff, let her make pretty much every call unless there's something you really can't stand. Just focus on bringing logic and practicality to the discussion. Like with a stroller...make sure she isn't thinking about how it looks but how easy it is to fold up with one hand, load in and out of the car, etc. You don't need the one with perfect cup holders because you can buy an attachment for $10. 

Good luck. She's at the point now where there's a ton of back pain and calf pain and I'm massaging for about 3 hours straight when I get home from work. Luckily she turns in early and that's when I can recapture some sanity. But you gotta do it...as much as my hands may be sore after all that massaging, it's literally nothing compared to what these women go through. LITERALLY NEVER FORGET THAT. When you want to complain, do it here or with buddies. 

Best thing I got when my first was born was the original Xbox.  My wife worked 3 nights a week back then so I had plenty of bonding time.  Best times were me laying in my recliner, him sleeping on my chest, and me blasting aliens Master Chief style.

Based purely on my anecdotal observation, I am convinced there is a direct correlation between parenting difficulties and the parents' high strungness.  That being that those parents who freak out about their baby having everything perfect, home made baby food because store bought stuff isn't good enough, new GapKids outfits for any picture taking event, etc. etc have the most difficult kids to raise.  Relax and realize that billions of dads have come before you and we don't get a manual when you bring them home.  99% of parenting is common sense, and you'll get through it fine if you don't stress yourself out.

My biggest tip is to take advantage of the time where they can't wiggle away.  The newborn/infant period does not last long (6 months if you're lucky).  Take that time to sit and hold them, even if it's just both of you sleeping on the couch.  It's the only thing I miss from that period.

Other advice:

- I'll throw another vote in for the swing.  That thing was a lifesaver.

- Get great at the 15 minute power nap.  You'll have no problem falling asleep, it's the waking up that sucks.

- ALWAYS have the new diaper ready before taking the old one off... I'm talking, have it under the baby before you pull the diaper off.  Something about the air hitting his pecker that made my kid pee almost instantly.  The one time you don't have it ready, expect piss in the face.

this book was a life-saver- Dr Karp- Happiest Baby on the Block.

concept was that humans are the only animals born unable to care for themselves soon out of the womb- that the first three months should essentially be treated as another trimester... and that you should do your best to replicate what the baby experienced in the womb.

in doing so, karp recommends 5 "S"s that you can run through when the kid is upset. 

it's been a while for me, but IIRC: swaddling, "shh"ing... shaking.... slapping.... alfonso soriano. 

I'm not sure about a couple of those... but I can tell you that at 4am, when you're completely exhausted and still asleep, not having to think about solutions and cycling through the "S"s was a life-saver.

First off, that is the best due date possible. Congrats! Like me, your kid will be so awesome that they get a week off school, the Final 4, and  Opening Day just in his honor. And sometimes, just for the hell of it, jelly beans and Easter eggs every few years.

I wasn't breast fed though and I'm still trying to make up for that. It might be an Aries thing.

Get the baby out of the bassinet and into his own room ASAP. Fight the urge to let mom keep the baby in the room or,(shudder) out the baby in bed with you because it's "easier".

You don't need an Eddie Bauer diaper bag. Any old back pack will do. You just need a half dozen diapers, wipes, a spit cloth, maybe a spare onesie, and then enough "stuff" for a bottle or two.

Also, fight the urge to bathe everyone who comes to see the baby in hand sanitizer. You'll already be sleep-deprived and all you are accomplishing there is pissing off potential free babysitters.

Congrats and good luck!

It really isn't as bad as people make it out to be or you might be thinking.  A lot of it comes down to the person you are.  If you are calm collected in normal every day events this will be a breeze.  If you are high strung and loose your temper quick you will need to adjust quick.  

The sleep thing took a little bit to get used to, but you'd be surprised how little sleep you need to function.  The days of thinking you need 9 hours sleep are long gone.  You'll look back after he is a year old and say what did we do every night before kids. 

Congrats!

One more after reading a few of the other posts:

Your kid is going to crush some milestones and be behind at others.  Don't fret too much if your kid is not reaching a particular milestone as quickly as your baby books say they should.  That's only putting stress on you guys as parents.

this book was a life-saver- Dr Karp- Happiest Baby on the Block.

concept was that humans are the only animals born unable to care for themselves soon out of the womb- that the first three months should essentially be treated as another trimester... and that you should do your best to replicate what the baby experienced in the womb.

in doing so, karp recommends 5 "S"s that you can run through when the kid is upset. 

it's been a while for me, but IIRC: swaddling, "shh"ing... shaking.... slapping.... alfonso soriano. 

I'm not sure about a couple of those... but I can tell you that at 4am, when you're completely exhausted and still asleep, not having to think about solutions and cycling through the "S"s was a life-saver.
We did this also.  It definitely helped calm my kid.

Based purely on my anecdotal observation, I am convinced there is a direct correlation between parenting difficulties and the parents' high strungness.  That being that those parents who freak out about their baby having everything perfect, home made baby food because store bought stuff isn't good enough, new GapKids outfits for any picture taking event, etc. etc have the most difficult kids to raise.  Relax and realize that billions of dads have come before you and we don't get a manual when you bring them home.  99% of parenting is common sense, and you'll get through it fine if you don't stress yourself out.
My wife and I have talked about this a few times, started with trying to get pregnant. Some people get all worried about it and it becomes a stress, which we both agreed most likely just leads to no baby and more stress. We just had fun with it  :pickle:

Luckily my wife is an MICU nurse in a hospital, so she's pretty calm and collected about all this stuff.

I'll add that the thing I've learned so far, with a 5 and 9yo- when I find myself at my worst as a parent is when I've imposed my own expectations on the kids or the situation they're in. Need to let go of the expectations and be totally flexible. and then slap, shake or alfonso soriano.

or not.

we didn't sleep train. the kids were and are fine. of course... we lost a lot of sleep. but wife just didn't have it in her to do it.
We let ours cry it out around 2 months.  It took two nights of him crying for a total of about 1.25 hours before he was trained.  The first night was 45 minutes of pure heart wrenching agony and then again for 30 minutes the second night but after that, he slept like a champ.

Also, someone else mentioned going about your day while the kid naps.  That's absolutely 100% true.  Having complete silence while they sleep is a recipe for never being able to make noise again.

oh- also...

I remember thinking that the newborn months are kinda like an earthquake... which is a lateral force that will always find the weakest point in a structure (personal or inter-relational), shaking it until failure. good structures are either completely rigid and super strong, or usually flexible enough to roll with the quake.

Users who are viewing this thread