What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (3 Viewers)

President literally threatens nation with armed state violence, insinuating things will be very bad, very very bad, presumably if investigations continue, get worse, or he's impeached.

Good lord folks.  Continued support of this guy is basically tantamount to being unamerican at this point. I'm sorry.

Very much the idea I suggested above (from the Atlantic):

The first clue that Mueller’s interest in Manafort goes beyond his financial crimes came early last month, when one of the top prosecutors on Mueller’s team, Andrew Weissmann, said in a closed-door hearing that a meeting Manafort had in August 2016 goes “very much to the heart of what the special counsel’s office is investigating.” (Manafort’s deputy Rick Gates was also at the meeting, The Washington Post said, citing court records. A status update for Gates, who has been cooperating with Mueller, is due on Friday.) During that meeting Manafort provided internal Trump-campaign polling data to Kilimnik and discussed a “Ukraine peace plan” favorable to Russia. Mueller was appointed in May 2017 to investigate “any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with” Trump’s campaign, as his appointment memo described it; Jackson agreed that the topic of Manafort’s meeting was at “the undisputed core of the Office of Special Counsel’s investigation.”

But Weissmann’s tantalizing comment wasn’t resolved in the government’s sentencing memo for Manafort; on the contrary, details about the August 2016 meeting were conspicuously absent from the 800-page document. The episode was briefly brought up in Manafort’s sentencing hearing on Wednesday, when Jackson reaffirmed that Manafort had lied to the government about the meeting in his conversations with Mueller’s team. “I still find that the special counsel’s office proved that Manafort intentionally gave false testimony with respect to that matter,” she said. And it was only one of “several matters he lied about with regard to Mr. Kilimnik,” she added.

The topics discussed during the August 2 meeting might be the closest thing to a “smoking gun” of collusion that has been revealed so far. A footnote in a court filing submitted by Manafort’s attorneys last month, first noticed by the national-security journalist Marcy Wheeler, indicates that Manafort and his deputy sent 75 pages of polling to Kilimnik and that Kilimnik sent at least six emails to the pair discussing the data. Richard Westling, Manafort’s lawyer, denied that Manafort had lied about the content of the August 2 meeting and said that while the data that Manafort shared with Kilimnik was “very detailed” and “relevant” to a meeting the campaign had had earlier in the day, it would not have been useful to the suspected Russian spy. "It frankly, to me, is gibberish,” Westling said. “It’s not easily understandable." Jackson shot back: "That’s what makes it significant and unusual.”

Still, the content of the 2016 meeting was only revealed by accident due to a redaction error by Manafort’s lawyers, and the significance of the episode to Mueller’s main probe, while hinted at by Weissmann, has yet to be fully explained.

“It’s hard to imagine that something so explosive and central to the mission of his investigation wouldn’t be addressed either in charges against someone (Manafort or others) or in a report,” Mimi Rocah, a former federal prosecutor in the Southern District of New York, wrote in an email. “And the fact that the special counsel hasn’t brought it out but it was only revealed inadvertently, reinforces the idea that [Mueller] is saving it for something else.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping for a Mueller Friday  :kicksrock:

JUST IN: The government is not done with Rick Gates. Special counsel lawyers tell the judge Gates "continues to cooperate with respect to several ongoing investigations, and accordingly the parties do not believe it is appropriate to commence the sentencing process at this time."

Trump had change of tone in Twitter today. Abandoning No Collusion!!!11 for Mueller never had legal authority so there should be no report. I’d read that as Barr told him ####’s going to get real.
I continue to believe that this is why noted entrepreneur Matt Whitaker is gone, too. What he saw was way worse than what he believed when he was but a naive Fox commentator.

Yeah - I think the idea of more indictments seems unlikely.

Its possible Mueller could indict, and then hand off to DOJ, if these are cases that arose out of his investigation, you would think his team would see them through.
I think that if there are no more indictments then a huge portion of what's been reported has to be fake news. I think that kind of outcome leads to Trump winning reelection, and many of the people in this thread (including me) looking like fools. Soooo I hope that's not where we're at.

I continue to believe that this is why noted entrepreneur Matt Whitaker is gone, too. What he saw was way worse than what he believed when he was but a naive Fox commentator.
He was on CNN as one of their provocative voices but I completely agree. I think he agreed be the stooge and shut down the investigation but then he got there and was briefed on the investigation and realized that he couldn’t just shut it down. I’m sure he was also read the riot act of what would happen if he leaked or obstructed.

I think that if there are no more indictments then a huge portion of what's been reported has to be fake news. I think that kind of outcome leads to Trump winning reelection, and many of the people in this thread (including me) looking like fools. Soooo I hope that's not where we're at.
I don't care about looking like a fool.  All I want is the truth to come out.  If there's no fire, so be it.  I trust the Mueller report, regardless of the political ramifications.

Trump is distasteful enough to not vote for regardless of Muh Russia.

I don't care about looking like a fool.  All I want is the truth to come out.  If there's no fire, so be it.  I trust the Mueller report, regardless of the political ramifications.

Trump is distasteful enough to not vote for regardless of Muh Russia.
More than that, I hope he wasn't involved at all.  I think it's unlikely at this point but feeling stupid is a small price to pay given the alternative.

More than that, I hope he wasn't involved at all.  I think it's unlikely at this point but feeling stupid is a small price to pay given the alternative.
Helloexactly.jpg

I won't be cheering a Mueller report showing collusion, an indictment of the president, or an impeachment.  These things are bad for the republic, but less bad than allowing a crook to remain in the Oval Office.

There’s certainly a big space of missing information and it’s possible that it’s ‘fake news’ but not likely. Several people on Twitter have pointed out that there’s a lot of people cooperating or gotten plea deals that we haven’t heard anything about their cooperation.

People like Flynn, Cohen and Gates we don’t really know what info they gave to get sweetheart deals and I doubt Mueller was just giving away great deals.

Anyone know what this means?

Ryan Goodman‏Verified account @rgoodlaw

Breaking: Federal court holds First Amendment does not protect Trump Campaign in alleged conspiracy with Russia-Wikileaks. Court holds that Supreme Court case (Bartnicki) does not apply for the reasons that Bob Bauer and I argued here:

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1106626013277184000
I think this is about the DNC lawsuit versus Trump's campaign, partly for events that happened through WL. I believe the campaign argued that WL and whatever the campaign did with it or for it was protected by free speech. The court said pfffftttt to that.

Anyone know what this means?

Ryan Goodman‏Verified account @rgoodlaw

FollowFollow @rgoodlaw

More

Breaking: Federal court holds First Amendment does not protect Trump Campaign in alleged conspiracy with Russia-Wikileaks. Court holds that Supreme Court case (Bartnicki) does not apply for the reasons that Bob Bauer and I argued here:

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1106626013277184000
Good summary (of the originial D.C. case)

https://www.lawfareblog.com/oral-argument-summary-cockrum-v-trump

Just a reminder:

Acting AG Whitaker: Mueller investigation 'close to being completed'

-January 29, 2019

Attorney General Bill Barr is preparing to announce as early as next week the completion of special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation, with plans for Barr to submit to Congress soon after a summary of Mueller's confidential report, according to people familiar with the plans.

-February 20, 2019

Of course, we will always have this:

“I’d be embarrassed if this is still haunting the White House by Thanksgiving and worse if it’s still haunting him by year end,” Cobb told Reuters

- August 18, 2017

Or this:

WASHINGTON (Tribune News Service) — Special Counsel Robert Mueller is expected to issue findings on core aspects of his Russia probe soon after the November midterm elections as he faces intensifying pressure to produce more indictments or shut down his investigation, according to two U.S. officials.

- October 17, 2018

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani had a bold prediction about the Russia investigation when he joined President Trump’s legal team this week: “I don’t think it’s going to take more than a week or two,” he told the New YorkPost, “to get a resolution.”

- April 20, 2018

Just a reminder:

Acting AG Whitaker: Mueller investigation 'close to being completed'

-January 29, 2019

Attorney General Bill Barr is preparing to announce as early as next week the completion of special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation, with plans for Barr to submit to Congress soon after a summary of Mueller's confidential report, according to people familiar with the plans.

-February 20, 2019
And don't forget The Mueller Report book -- still listed with a March 26th publication date, although now there is a disclaimer stating, "THE MARCH 26, 2019 PUBLICATION DATE IS A PLACEHOLDER. WE WILL PUBLISH OUR EDITION OF THE MUELLER REPORT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFTER IT IS RELEASED TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC BY THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE."

Also, the author has been changed from "Department Of Justice" to "Special Counsel's Office".  :coffee:

I do wonder what Giuliani and his team are doing with their time - given that they have already written the rebuttal report...
For once, I agree with Rudy. We have Trump on tape speaking to Lester Holt admitting obstruction of justice. It’s a video confession everyone saw. What’s the holdup?

For once, I agree with Rudy. We have Trump on tape speaking to Lester Holt admitting obstruction of justice. It’s a video confession everyone saw. What’s the holdup?
Catching him trading policy concessions in return for personal financial help is so much better. That's the Holy Grail of Presidential corruption. It's worth the time invested. Heck, take another year and get it all down tight.

More gaslighting...

he states in the exact same interview that firing Comey would make the investigation last longer, not stop it

More gaslighting...

he states in the exact same interview that firing Comey would make the investigation last longer, not stop it
And in the same breath, that same exchange you’re discussing, he said he fired Comey because he wanted the investigation done properly and it should have (then) been over long ago. Clearly he wanted someone as director who would be operating with the premise there was no collusion, possible crime or cause for counterintelligence.

https://www.rferl.org/a/lesin-autopsy-record/29824566.html

Washington Autopsy Files Offer New Details In Death Of Mikhail Lesin

March 16, 2019 00:20 GM
According to the D.C. police report, officials at the Four Seasons had called the U.S. Secret Service on November 3 when Lesin appeared to be heavily intoxicated, and the Secret Service advised that a guard be posted at his door to prevent him from leaving. He checked into the Dupont Circle Hotel a day later.
Reading this I think the subtext here was Secret Service or DOJ was supposed to be guarding him and they blew it.

And in the same breath, that same exchange you’re discussing, he said he fired Comey because he wanted the investigation done properly and it should have (then) been over long ago. Clearly he wanted someone as director who would be operating with the premise there was no collusion, possible crime or cause for counterintelligence.
Firing Comey would only put Clinton stooge McCabe in charge and any nominated director would have to be approved by the Senate and be subjected to being grilled...and having the same guy who personally botched the email investigation running the FBI while it conducted the Russia probe, whom both sides of the aisle had lost confidence in, would be bad for America.

Firing Comey would only put Clinton stooge McCabe in charge and any nominated director would have to be approved by the Senate and be subjected to being grilled...and having the same guy who personally botched the email investigation running the FBI while it conducted the Russia probe, whom both sides of the aisle had lost confidence in, would be bad for America.
I’m just telling you what Trump actually said in that same snip,.

Users who are viewing this thread