Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northern Voice

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon.

741 posts in this topic

Just now, Northern Voice said:

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I can't tell if I like this because of or in spite of that video.

HELLOEXACTLY

ok... time for an IDLES interlude. they're new to me this year, but this tune is from a couple years' back. they changed their style up a little bit for Brutalism, but I love this one as much as their new stuff. also dig their aesthetics.

1 person likes this

I have given it a few spins, but I have not really gotten into Brutalism that much... that being said my most listened to album this year was actually a 2016 release that I felt the same way about last year at this time :shrug:

4 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

I have given it a few spins, but I have not really gotten into Brutalism that much... that being said my most listened to album this year was actually a 2016 release that I felt the same way about last year at this time :shrug:

your face was feeling the same about something or other released last year etc.

dunno- the first chords of well done had me hooked.... the rest of the album made me a giant fan- but definitely not a grower for me... was deep in right away.

18 hours ago, dal_boys_phan said:

Round 3 - Dave Hause - The Flinch from the album “Bury Me In Philly”

Just a nice slick pop-punk song from this Philly native, evoking some Bryan Adams aspects.  My #3 song of the year can just as easily be #13, that’s how close they are.

:lmao: This is straight off every mid-80s movie soundtrack. Nice pick :thumbup: 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, dal_boys_phan said:

Round 4 - Greta Van Fleet (MI/USA) - Highway Tune from the 2017 EP “From The Fires”

Just realized who this was starting only a month ago.  Great tune that will definitely be in my Top 10 songs this year and given my love for anything Zeppelin-esque (anyone remember Kingdom Come back in the late ‘80’s), this EP would sneak into my Top 10 this year if it qualified.

This, yeah... I like this. Will need o spend some time on it tonight.  I, too, will ensure that whiskey is involved. 

1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

:lmao: This is straight off every mid-80s movie soundtrack. Nice pick :thumbup: 

Thanks.  I am trying to stay away from songs that could start political sword fights (like Dirty on Hause’s album) and just pick great songs - but this was one case where my song choice wasn’t altered to stay away from the political stuff.

There's a couple albums on my list that came out this year/didn't come out this year that I am not sure what to do with.  

3 hours ago, Jaysus said:

Wait, do EPs not count?  Because I currently have a 5-way tie for my #2 album of the year and that would eliminate one of them - lol.

I thought the FFA’s year-end poles did not allow drafting of EPs, but would welcome a flag from @Northern Voice if I am mistaken on that rule.

:penalty:

Will throw the flag (and hat) on myself - see that @Northern Voice corrected me earlier.

Edited by dal_boys_phan
Added flag for “Illegal Rulemaking” - 5 yard penalty, automatic first down
1 person likes this

Round 5 is a go. 

A reminder that there will be one pick each on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and 2 a days will resume next Monday. If you want to post both your picks at once on the weekend ( @Jaysus :bye:), obviously that's cool too. 

1 person likes this

It’s about time that I take my favorite song from my favorite album of the year, “Run the Jewels 3.”  It was technically released early to Spotify last Christmas Eve, but physical copies of the album weren’t released until January 2017, so it counts as far as I’m concerned.  Killer Mike’s opening verse on this track is one of my favorite verses of the year.  

Round 5:  Run the Jewels ft. Danny Brown - Hey Kids (Bumaye)

Edited by Buckfast 1
2 people like this

I love the Depeche Mode influence here and I sing the chorus of this to our rescue dog all the time :bag:

How can anybody have you?
How can anybody have you and lose you?
How can anybody have you and lose you
And not lose their minds, too?

Round 5 - St. Vincent - Los Ageless

2 people like this

33 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I love the Depeche Mode influence here and I sing the chorus of this to our rescue dog all the time :bag:

How can anybody have you?
How can anybody have you and lose you?
How can anybody have you and lose you
And not lose their minds, too?

Round 5 - St. Vincent - Los Ageless

Pop chorus of the year, IMO.  The stripped-down version that she played on the Daily Show last night was kind of haunting.  

2 people like this

3 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

There's a couple albums on my list that came out this year/didn't come out this year that I am not sure what to do with.  

Well if they came out last year, don't draft them. If they came out this year, feel free to draft away.

14 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Well if they came out last year, don't draft them. If they came out this year, feel free to draft away.

RtJ was the main one - listed as this year, but they dropped it early at the end of last year.  

There was another that I guess was released as EPs before, but this year came out as an LP that combined them.  Probably just skip over that one.  

1 person likes this

Round 4

Slowdive - Sugar for the Pill

LINK

There's a buzzard of gulls
They're drumming in the wind
Only lovers alive
Running in the dark

4 people like this

27 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

RtJ was the main one - listed as this year, but they dropped it early at the end of last year.  

There was another that I guess was released as EPs before, but this year came out as an LP that combined them.  Probably just skip over that one.  

I was just busting your balls 

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Rd 5 The Bus Song by Jay Som

Why don't we take the bus?
You say you don't like the smell
But I like the bus
I can be whoever I want to be

I am planning on doing Women's Weekend (and dropping 3 songs tomorrow :oldunsure:) Jay Som was in contention as my Sunday pick - different song though. 

31 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Yeah, unfortunately, I think RTJ3 has been unjustly excluded from some 2017 best album end-of-year lists based on its Christmas Eve 2016 release, even though it was released too late to make any of the 2016 lists.  Or maybe some people are just still sleeping on them.  But I think it is clearly fair game under the rules here.  

1 person likes this

Round 4:  Mourning Sound - Grizzly Bear

Let love age
And watch it burn out and die

Round 5:  Song - Sylvan Esso

Yes, I'm the song that you can't get out of your head

(will add Spotify links later...)

Edited by kupcho1
add links
4 people like this

On 12/4/2017 at 11:07 AM, Northern Voice said:

This will be a song draft of any song that was released or peaked in popularity in 2017. I'm not going to be picky about release dates. Anything that was released on a 2017 album is eligible, including live albums. Any single or song released digitally in 2017 is eligible. Anything that charted in 2017 is eligible. Anything that can be reasonably considered a 2017 song is eligible. All genres and styles of music - newcomers to song drafts encouraged. 

This is what I said re: eligibilty. It's pretty clear when albums were released, there is a set date but songs can peak the year after or sometimes the year before the album they're on is released, so if it seems like it was a song that was bigger in 2017 than 2016, even if just to you, then it's fine here. Albums are a bit more tricky...

39 minutes ago, Buckfast 1 said:

But I think it is clearly fair game under the rules here.  

:yes: 

Nice run of songs here... Like from the start of the draft forward.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Round 4

Slowdive - Sugar for the Pill

LINK

There's a buzzard of gulls
They're drumming in the wind
Only lovers alive
Running in the dark

I listened to this album when it came out, liked it and then completely forgot about it somehow.

43 minutes ago, kupcho1 said:

Round 4:  Mourning Sound - Grizzly Bear

Round 5:  Song - Sylvan Esso

(will add Spotify links later...)

grizzly bear's album this year is super consistent... hard to pick just one winner from it- all really good.

1 person likes this

5... Integration- The Bay Rays

this one reminds me of somebody/some-song... in a good way. walkmen? can't place it, but it scratches my scrotum just right. that said- I get the sense that these guys aren't quite ready for prime time- the little digging I've done, they seem a bit posery. but it's definitely one of the songs that gets me going every time I hear it.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Buckfast 1 said:

Yeah, unfortunately, I think RTJ3 has been unjustly excluded from some 2017 best album end-of-year lists based on its Christmas Eve 2016 release, even though it was released too late to make any of the 2016 lists.  Or maybe some people are just still sleeping on them.  But I think it is clearly fair game under the rules here.  

I was wondering about this for the year-end poll, as it would be my number two album of the year. 

1 person likes this

A slow jam for Round 4: H.E.R. - Changes

That’s just how the game goes

When you’re feeling alone

Everybody’s got somebody that they mess with on the low

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I was wondering about this for the year-end poll, as it would be my number two album of the year. 

The album was apparently always scheduled for the official release in January 2017, but Killer Mike and El-P blessed us with a Christmas miracle by releasing it to the streaming services early.  I don’t think you can hold them out of the 2017 best album rankings based on that, especially considering that the hard album wasn’t available for purchase until 2017.  

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

This is what I said re: eligibilty. It's pretty clear when albums were released, there is a set date but songs can peak the year after or sometimes the year before the album they're on is released, so if it seems like it was a song that was bigger in 2017 than 2016, even if just to you, then it's fine here. Albums are a bit more tricky...

Asking for a friend here...what do you think about songs from an album released in Q1 2016, but you never heard anything from it until Q2 2017.  Like, never even knew the band even existed.

Round 5 - NJ/USA - Robert Randolph & The Family Band - Shake It

I could pick any of the first five songs off this strong 2017 release from Robert Randolph and The Family Band, but this one is such a great jam I think it could use some love from the FFA.  Hope you enjoy some funk from the Garden State.

Edited by dal_boys_phan

2 hours ago, dal_boys_phan said:

Asking for a friend here...what do you think about songs from an album released in Q1 2016, but you never heard anything from it until Q2 2017.  Like, never even knew the band even existed.

Generally, if it entered public consciousness in 2017 as well I think it's fine. I'm really not picky, as long as its not trying to claim "One Dance" or "Boyfriend" or whatever the big hits in 2016 were for this year.

23 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Round 5   Big Thief - Shark Smile

See, I think that fact that there are bands called Wild Pink, Big Pink and Big Thief is just too much for my brain. And this is without all the Wild Nothing and Pink whatever other bands. I don't keep these bands straight. It's as bad as freaking Wolf bands. Anyway, I like this song but I really really like the Wild Pink song you picked earlier but ignored them all year because I I thought they were Big Pink or Wild Nothing or Mr. Big or who knows what. 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

See, I think that fact that there are bands called Wild Pink, Big Pink and Big Thief is just too much for my brain. And this is without all the Wild Nothing and Pink whatever other bands. I don't keep these bands straight. It's as bad as freaking Wolf bands. Anyway, I like this song but I really really like the Wild Pink song you picked earlier but ignored them all year because I I thought they were Big Pink or Wild Nothing or Mr. Big or who knows what. 

5 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

That might have been a strange rant for some people, so this was the 2010 NME song of the year. Big Pink - Dominos

Wild Nothing's Gemini was my #1 album of 2010!

2 people like this

On 12/6/2017 at 5:01 PM, kupcho1 said:

My 2nd pick: Feel it Still - Portugal the Man

Had this pegged as song of the year when it came out in in early March this year.  And despite the fact it's been co-opted by just about everyone (1st noticed it played as bumper music during the NHL draft), I don't care.  Creep in a T-Shirt was in a Taco Bell commercial (if memory serves).  Don't care.  Still a great song and SOD for all intents and purposes.

I love, love, love this song! I put it in the "New Songs You Love" thread earlier this year. 

This whole album is great. This is a band that deserves major recognition. 

1 person likes this