What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, watching the odds move on where Lebron will land is like watching a game itself. Looks like @Good Posting Judge is the winner from last night:

32001 Lebron first game 2018/19 is with LAL +145      

32003 Lebron first game 2018/19 is with PHI +300      

32005 Lebron first game 2018/19 is with HOU +470      

Lebron first game 2018/19 is with BOS +550      

Lebron first game 2018/19 is with CLE +550      

Lebron first game 2018/19 is with SAS +1100      

Lebron first game 2018/19 is with LAC +2000      

Lebron first game 2018/19 is with NYK +2750 

Lakers went from -165 to +145, so whew on that. Seems like Boston made the biggest move, Cleveland as well. 

Needless to say i put another .5 unit on the Sixers at +300. July 1st can't come soon enough.....

ETA: speaking of which, Lebron and whoever else could make an absolute killing off of this game. Have to be smart about it, but get like 100 or 200 people to get to as many books as they want to (and believe me when gambling becomes legal in more places this could be a huge swing cause it would be real easy to pull off), and let the media move the lines to a point where you get a favorable line on your move. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's complicated...

Westbrook/OKCeans labeled Durant a cupcake when he left, which he then embraced and had a shirt made with cupcake on it and a ring on top instead of a cherry.

After winning the '15-'16 Championship in which the Calves improbably overcame a 3-1 deficit, LeBron James threw a Halloween party at which guests had to step over the "graves" of Steph Curry and Draymond Green and other Golden State notables in order to enter. 

Arthur is a cartoon character who notably clenches his fist when he is angry or frustrated. LeBron posted a picture of said fist when Kyrie Irving was traded to the Boston Celtics last summer. 

You really should follow NBA Twitter. It's a blast. 
I feel like I sort of try, but am too far out of touch with pop culture or just slow. 

lol, watching the odds move on where Lebron will land is like watching a game itself. Looks like @Good Posting Judge is the winner from last night:

32001 Lebron first game 2018/19 is with LAL +145      

32003 Lebron first game 2018/19 is with PHI +300      

32005 Lebron first game 2018/19 is with HOU +470      

Lebron first game 2018/19 is with BOS +550      

Lebron first game 2018/19 is with CLE +550      

Lebron first game 2018/19 is with SAS +1100      

Lebron first game 2018/19 is with LAC +2000      

Lebron first game 2018/19 is with NYK +2750 

Lakers went from -165 to +145, so whew on that. Seems like Boston made the biggest move, Cleveland as well. 

Needless to say i put another .5 unit on the Sixers at +300. July 1st can't come soon enough.....

ETA: speaking of which, Lebron and whoever else could make an absolute killing off of this game. Have to be smart about it, but get like 100 or 200 people to get to as many books as they want to (and believe me when gambling becomes legal in more places this could be a huge swing cause it would be real easy to pull off), and let the media move the lines to a point where you get a favorable line on your move. 
I think the whole yo-yo with the LAL odds was based on GP saying Lebron's kids were enrolled in an LA school. 

I think the Lakers' plan going back two years was to have space for two max free agents, specifically LeBron and Paul George. It's not some big secret...Magic was fined for tampering for courting George on The Tonight Show IIRC.
still just seems like a story driven by the beat writers and Lakers promotion team. Does anybody think if Lebron and George go to the Lakers that they can beat the Rockets or Warriors? hell, i might say the Pelicans or Jazz are better too. Not saying the Lakers wouldn't be a force and a scary team to play, i just can't imagine the frustration Lebron went through this year that he would want to go on a team again where he has to carry the load every single night.

aslo lot of recent news says it seems like George may stay in OKC. I think if George does re-sign in OKC chance of Lebron to LA are close to 5%. Of course the next 3 weeks will be riddled with stories galore, so who knows what to believe, but if there is truth to it it would be interesting.

still just seems like a story driven by the beat writers and Lakers promotion team. Does anybody think if Lebron and George go to the Lakers that they can beat the Rockets or Warriors? hell, i might say the Pelicans or Jazz are better too. Not saying the Lakers wouldn't be a force and a scary team to play, i just can't imagine the frustration Lebron went through this year that he would want to go on a team again where he has to carry the load every single night.

aslo lot of recent news says it seems like George may stay in OKC. I think if George does re-sign in OKC chance of Lebron to LA are close to 5%. Of course the next 3 weeks will be riddled with stories galore, so who knows what to believe, but if there is truth to it it would be interesting.
You do realize Paul George is 5 times better than anyone on the Cavs this year right? Not sure how that is him carrying the team again. 

lol, if this guy is accurate, Lakers aren't getting George and Lebron. Basically saying they need to trade Deng, which they have tried for years and no one takes him. or they can stretch Deng and have to let Randle go. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmQvxNf-9bI

It is best around the 3:30 mark when the guy shows what the team looks like to get 2 max FAs. they have friggin 5 other guys on the team. 

adding more to Lebron to Philly. 

NBA Insiders must be some people from this thread. 

Seven best Kawhi Leonard trades we'd like to see https://es.pn/2Kdl8Px

Destination: Philadelphia 76ers

76ers get: Kawhi Leonard and Derrick White

Spurs get: Robert Covington, Markelle Fultz, and the No. 10 pick

Bobby Marks: There are two questions that the 76ers' front office has to ask about this type of deal:

Can they sign Leonard (or a similar player) as a free agent in 2019 using cap space without sacrificing assets?

Are they confident Leonard will commit long term?

Before the first question is answered, Philadelphia will need to rely on coach Brett Brown and his relationship with Leonard from his days as an assistant in San Antonio. Because Philadelphia is restricted in what it can offer Leonard in an extension before free agency (four years, $107 million; six months after he is acquired), both sides would be relying on a handshake agreement before the trade is completed. Essentially, the Sixers would be risking three assets because they trust Leonard.

If the risk is warranted, Philadelphia would still have $26 million in room in 2018 and a lineup featuring Leonard, Ben Simmons, Dario Saric and Joel Embiid, plus its own first-round pick (No. 26). Philadelphia could also move veteran Jerryd Bayless and its own first to a team with room and see its cap space increase to $34.3 million, good enough to target LeBron James or Paul George.

The 76ers can take the same approach and roll over room to 2019 with $28 million in space.

Remember, as the Lakers have learned, cap space is no guarantee of signing an All-NBA-level player. For San Antonio, trading Leonard would be the last resort if the relationship between the organization and player cannot be repaired.

This trade would accomplish three things for San Antonio: It would send Leonard to the Eastern Conference; the Spurs would remain competitive with three players who can help now; and the Spurs could have $27 million in 2019 to add players to surround LaMarcus Aldridge, Patty Mills, Murray, Fultz, Covington and two first-round picks in 2018 (the Lakers' first and their own).

Anybody know why it takes so long for them to do the ROY award? Does it have to do with announcing closer to the draft to promote? I see they have playoffs MVP and every other official award done, just wondering why they drag their feet with ROY

BassNBrew said:
Leonard, Ben Simmons, Dario Saric, Joel Embiid, and JAMES is possible?  Would the Dubs even win one game in the the finals?
It’s possible without gutting most of the team. Now is it likely, I don’t believe so, but the difference in this scenario vs others is it doesn’t require a ton of salary cap gymnastics. Basically have to move Bayliss and his 8.6 mil/year, and hope some vets re-sign for cheap. 

It’s possible without gutting most of the team. Now is it likely, I don’t believe so, but the difference in this scenario vs others is it doesn’t require a ton of salary cap gymnastics. Basically have to move Bayliss and his 8.6 mil/year, and hope some vets re-sign for cheap. 
Moving Bayless would get them enough room to sign James to a max deal. But how would they get close to a salary match to get Kawhi? A three team trade? Not to mention, what would the Sixers have that the Spurs would want (let alone what a third team would want).

Insein said:
 the Spurs would remain competitive with three players who can help now;
We don't really know that Fultz can help the Spurs win now and Covington and most likely, at best, the 10th pick are more role player types.

Moving Bayless would get them enough room to sign James to a max deal. But how would they get close to a salary match to get Kawhi? A three team trade? Not to mention, what would the Sixers have that the Spurs would want (let alone what a third team would want).
Just going off the NBA Insiders report from ESPN that was showing different team scenarios for getting Kawhi. They said Sixers could trade Fultz, Convington and the 10th for Kawhi and Derek White. Their words.

They also have scenarios for Celtics, Lakers, Blazers, Raptors, Heat and a few others.

Just going off the NBA Insiders report from ESPN that was showing different team scenarios for getting Kawhi. They said Sixers could trade Fultz, Convington and the 10th for Kawhi and Derek White. Their words.

They also have scenarios for Celtics, Lakers, Blazers, Raptors, Heat and a few others.
yup, without looking it up, covington + fultz are around $20 currently, as is Kawhi.

Not directed at you, but while these crazy trade scenarios COULD technically happen, they leave out the fact that pretty much every team in the league would make an offer do Leonard. The Spurs will actually get offers of top assets, not just a bunch of players or picks that aren’t all that exciting. Put another way, SAS will get better offers than Fultz, Covington, and a so so draft pick. 

Not directed at you, but while these crazy trade scenarios COULD technically happen, they leave out the fact that pretty much every team in the league would make an offer do Leonard. The Spurs will actually get offers of top assets, not just a bunch of players or picks that aren’t all that exciting. Put another way, SAS will get better offers than Fultz, Covington, and a so so draft pick. 
They showed the Celtics offering Khyrie, 2018 1st and whatever other picks. Also suggested Hayward and Rozier straight up. So yea. They're just throw stuff out there for clicks.

They showed the Celtics offering Khyrie, 2018 1st and whatever other picks. Also suggested Hayward and Rozier straight up. So yea. They're just throw stuff out there for clicks.
Both of those seem better than the Sixers' "offer" - but seem light as well.

This one seems the most laughable though:

Lakers get: Kawhi Leonard

Spurs get: Lonzo Ball, Luol Deng, Kyle Kuzma

What NBA trades have you people seen where a star fetches "top assets"?
The Pacers/OKC seemed light at the time but it worked out fine for the Pacers. The Celts/Cle trade looked better on paper if IT would have been healthy and the Nets didn't play better than expected.

We don't really have a long history of stars being traded until recently.

The Pacers/OKC seemed light at the time but it worked out fine for the Pacers. The Celts/Cle trade looked better on paper if IT would have been healthy and the Nets didn't play better than expected.

We don't really have a long history of stars being traded until recently.
What did prime Charles Barkley return?

In an ideal situation, a top 5 player would bring back a huge whole. But just last year Khyrie was traded for a lottery pick and bodies. 
I'm not buying your assessment. That's how it turned out in the end, but that's not how it looked at the time. IT2 was more hurt than expected and didn't pan out in CLE, but he was 2nd team All NBA the season before and had averaged 29 ppg and was third in the league in scoring. Crowder was a decent starter and defender in BOS. And the Nets pick had a decent shot of being a Top 3 pick. All that for Kyrie with his injury history and not a lot left on his deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread