What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2019 (Spotify playlists in 1st post) (3 Viewers)

New Operators song "Faithless" is pretty awesome. 
Yep, great Release Radar for me today. The National and Operators were unexpected gems.  Plus good stuff by Ages and Ages  and Hot Chip.  Even the Ariana Grande that got snuck in there for April Fools wasn't half bad. 

I don't get the PUP love. It's fine? :shrug:
I guess it was the utter dismissal of the first LP, which I found compelling, by the music press that got my dander going a bit. I can rarely make it through a modern pop-punk album these days, and to be able to get me to give it a couple of spins excited me. I think it's complex enough to warrant a few listens. 

But I take your point. I can see where if you're steeped in the punk genre, and you take your pop-punk with a grain of salt, it would just come across as okay. 

rockaction said:
I guess it was the utter dismissal of the first LP, which I found compelling, by the music press that got my dander going a bit. I can rarely make it through a modern pop-punk album these days, and to be able to get me to give it a couple of spins excited me. I think it's complex enough to warrant a few listens. 

But I take your point. I can see where if you're steeped in the punk genre, and you take your pop-punk with a grain of salt, it would just come across as okay. 
Honestly, I think I'm just picky. The number of bands I put in the "eh, it's ok" bin has gotten way larger.

and if you play your cards right, I"ll post his middleschool boys' chorus of the music of shakespeare hey nonny nonny no in which I learned Gene Wilder's "springtime the only ring a ding time" wasn't an original wilder tune.

GPJ has that reaction to almost everything (new music wise).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been on an early 90's indie kick lately. Listening to Walt Mink and Butterglory a lot. Stumbled on this newish band Froth who has an album called Duress coming out. Their single "Laurel" scratches that 90's indie itch for me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLicpdQOA7I
I knew I knew the name... Froth's 2017 album made a couple appearances in that year's playlist for me- worth a listen. thanks for the heads up- will keep an eye out for the new one.

I can't do a Spotify link here at work, but I'm digging Tales of America by J.S. Ondara.  I saw a feature on him on PBS of all places and have been listening to the album last night and on the way to work this morning.  Great stuff!

His story is interesting.  A Kenyan who became fascinated by Bob Dylan and other America folk artists after going down a rabbit hole after losing a bet that "Knockin' on Heavens Door" was originally a Guns N Roses song.  He ended up immigrating to Minnesota and here we are.

I don't think the folk/signer-songwriter genre is too popular in these threads but I know a number of you have eclectic tastes.

I've been intentionally avoiding the new Masked Intruder for... reasons? Anyway, it's catchy AF and fits in well with the Pkew Pkew Pkew / PUP bender I've been on.

good looking RR this week, about to dive in:

courtney barnett

amason

wand

cayucas

the gotobeds

VANT

omni

FONTAINES D.C. (full album is out! includes a lot of the previously released singles and EPs)

versing

j mascis

baroness

grimes

pip blom

froth (same that fiddles? mentioned)

chemical bros

ausmuteants

plague vendor (still don't like the name).

eta: I guess GRMLN is on holiday

completely missed that there's a new West Thebarton single. sounds really good.

the FONTAINES D.C. tune on my RR was boys in the better land- one of my favorite tunes from last year. but they've redone it for the album... not as good, IMO. added a tinny keyboard part that makes it much less rawk.

New Clowns album has been released.

Nature / Nurture

I've listened to it about a dozen times already and it's just not connecting with me the way their last album, Lucid Again, did.  Nothing awful, but nothing groin-tingling either.

J

New Clowns album has been released.

Nature / Nurture

I've listened to it about a dozen times already and it's just not connecting with me the way their last album, Lucid Again, did.  Nothing awful, but nothing groin-tingling either.

J
this was on my personal radar, but I forgot about it... thanks for the heads up.  Last album will be hard to follow up. 

OMG OMG OMG OMG

I never heard of Zig Zags until I caught up with my release radar today, but I found my new favorite song of 2019 and am anxiously awaiting the LP release on May 10th. 

Check out Fallout if want to bang your head like if that dude from Megadeath was still in Metallica. 
hah this is good but man it sounds exactly like kill em all

OMG OMG OMG OMG

I never heard of Zig Zags until I caught up with my release radar today, but I found my new favorite song of 2019 and am anxiously awaiting the LP release on May 10th. 

Check out Fallout if want to bang your head like if that dude from Megadeath was still in Metallica. 
hah this is good but man it sounds exactly like kill em all

I've been on an early 90's indie kick lately. Listening to Walt Mink and Butterglory a lot. Stumbled on this newish band Froth who has an album called Duress coming out. Their single "Laurel" scratches that 90's indie itch for me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLicpdQOA7I
how did you start listening to those bands?  were already a fan and went back or new to you?  thanks for the froth tip will check it. 

how did you start listening to those bands?  were already a fan and went back or new to you?  thanks for the froth tip will check it. 
A couple of bands I listened to in my 20's. Walt Mink played Chicago a lot back then. Never saw Butterglory but they had a low rent Pavement thing going on that I dug.

A couple of bands I listened to in my 20's. Walt Mink played Chicago a lot back then. Never saw Butterglory but they had a low rent Pavement thing going on that I dug.
I loved all that ####.  Polvo archers of loaf, pond, railroad jerk, chavez, hammerhead, drop 19s, unwound, thinking fellers, heavy vegetable, poster children, swirlies, arcwelder, red red meat, unrest, acetone on and on

revisiting a couple albums released earlier this year...

Yak

FEWS

prefer the Yak, but FEWS is good when in the mood for some all-caps self-important post stuff.

revisiting a couple albums released earlier this year...

Yak

FEWS

prefer the Yak, but FEWS is good when in the mood for some all-caps self-important post stuff.
That Yak album is one of my favorites from this year so far.

The new John Vanderslice album is quite good, if you like Vanderslice.  And based on the fact that when I searched his name the other day the only 4 hits that come up are mine, I may be the only one here that does.  

That Yak album is one of my favorites from this year so far.

The new John Vanderslice album is quite good, if you like Vanderslice.  And based on the fact that when I searched his name the other day the only 4 hits that come up are mine, I may be the only one here that does.  
Sounds like a Fletch alias, imo.

I don't think I've heard of or heard him, but will fix that now.

Sounds like a Fletch alias, imo.

I don't think I've heard of or heard him, but will fix that now.
Knowing our musical overlap, I'm going to guess not in your wheelhouse....

A few of my favorites: Me and my 424,  Exodus Damage, Gold Slate Pacific, Amitriptyline, Time Travel is Lonely

RR this week...

Foxygen (already listened- I like)

city calm down

modest mouse

kurt vile

fat white family

lizzo

wiley (he's back on my spotify)

nots (really liked what I've heard of them)

dream syndicate 

helms alee

goat girl

sebadoh (?!)

tame impala

I listened to the new Wand under the influence last night and it was unsettling. Need to listen again with a clearer head. 

But on the bright side, new single from King Gizzard rips:

Planet B

:headbang:
#### yes! this one's on my RR today too... brain melter.

I listened to the new Wand under the influence last night and it was unsettling. Need to listen again with a clearer head. 
a song is on my RR- his vocals are so easy-going, it's hard to imagine getting unsettled, even if the songs go off the deep end... but looking forward to hearing the whole thing.

a song is on my RR- his vocals are so easy-going, it's hard to imagine getting unsettled, even if the songs go off the deep end... but looking forward to hearing the whole thing.
He sounds like Thom Yorke to me. I don’t know what it was. Maybe the juxtaposition of his voice and the music but it kinda creeped me out. Could have just been last night. 

OMG OMG OMG OMG

All of this and more becomes real on the Zig Zags’ self-titled debut LP, recorded and produced by Ty Segall for In The Red

cranberries tune was on my RR as well.

every tune I've heard from their latest/last album has been good. makes me sad.

Angel Du$t's Rock The #### On Forever from 2016 - LOVE ON FIRST LISTEN

Angel Du$t's Pretty Buff from 2019 - DO NOT LOVE ON FIRST LISTEN

:kicksrock:

Lucid Again by Clowns from 2017 is a grabber. "Not Coping" is my favorite new punk track of the past few years. Nature/Nurture from 2019 is not grabbing me. 

I am rough on this year's albums today. Dang. 

Users who are viewing this thread