What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (9 Viewers)

Dr. Octopus said:
I'm trying to convince myself to do a thread similar to this one for the Stones, who have long been my favorite band. The problem is that they are not as beloved or as universal as the Beatles but their catalogue is much deeper (obviously due to longevity). I'd probably cap it as top 150 or 100 since in general people wouldn't care as much about the back of their catalogue as much as they would the Beatles.

I also don't want to flood the board with music list threads - although it would be a while until this came to fruition.
Sounds keen, except for the cap part.  Most people already know the famous stuff.  It's the deep tracks that are interesting to the nerds among us.

I'VE BEEN WORKING ON MINE FOR 9 YEARS!
I’m super super super-excited for yours.  I’ve decided to forgo the rest to focus on that one exclusively.  Only so many hours in the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like fun to me!  There are some inexplicable holes in my musical experience - The Who, for instance.  Every time one of their songs comes on I have some version of the following conversation:  

Me:  "Who's this?"

Mr. krista:  "The Who"

Me:  "What's that one song of theirs I really like?"

Mr. krista:  "Substitute"

Me:  "Oh yeah.  I should listen to more of their stuff someday."

I'm not suggesting they'd be one of the choices, but just acknowledging there are some fairly big names to work with here.  Elvis Costello is one of my favorites, and I know his catalog backward and forward, so he wouldn't be one.  I've listened to a ton of XTC in my life and wore a couple of their records completely out so probably not them either.
ELO? I'm sure you already love them based on all your music knowledge, but just in case. I think they're one of the most underrated bands of all time. 

ELO? I'm sure you already love them based on all your music knowledge, but just in case. I think they're one of the most underrated bands of all time. 
Ima big ELO fan as well - posted something about about a month ago - no real response - glad to see you a fan too.

When I tried to think of the most Beatlesque song in their catalog:

Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky  - maybe better choices - but this popped into my mind 1st

When just thinking of something fun:

E.L.O (Electric Light Orchestra) All Over The World

I don't know if I have a fav ELO song tho - never really thought much about it.

PS: K - sorry for the non-Beatle'in ... but... away    we         gooooo!!!!!

Sounds keen, except for the cap part.  Most people already know the famous stuff.  It's the deep tracks that are interesting to the nerds among us.
Well I've decided that in honor of krista's efforts I would go 204 songs deep into the Stones' catalogue for my rankings - which leaves plenty of room for deep tracks. They have a little over 400 recorded songs a lot of which are covers songs from live shows and their early records. Those get less weight but plenty will still make the top 204. Also a lot of their later albums contain a bunch of dreck which no one needs to listen to (even die hard Stones' fans) but there are also hidden gems on records like Bigger Bang and Bridges to Babylon that people should get some exposure to.

Obviously right now the board is all of a sudden flooded with song ranking lists so I'll wait that out a bit - I also have to tweek and re-tweek the rankings anyway. As @krista4knows when you love a band's complete works the minutia of the rankings is no easy task.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've decided that in honor of krista's efforts I would go 204 songs deep into the Stones' catalogue for my rankings - which leaves plenty of room for deep tracks. They have a little over 400 recorded songs a lot of which are covers songs from live shows and their early records. Those get less weight but plenty will still make the top 204. Also a lot of their later albums contain a bunch of dreck which no one needs to listen to (even die hard Stones' fans) but there are also hidden gems on records like Bigger Bang and Bridges to Babylon that people should get some exposure to.

Obviously right now the board is all of a sudden flooded with song ranking lists so I'll wait that out a bit - I also have to tweek and re-tweek the rankings anyway. As @krista4knows when you love a band's complete works the minutia of the rankings is no easy task.
I'm really looking forward to this one.  A top 204 sounds great.

In Beatles news, my mom just emailed me to say that one of the Jeopardy answers (or questions, I guess) this week was Norwegian Wood, and that a few months ago she wouldn't have gotten it right.  My work here is done.

In other Beatles news...damn, I forgot.  I had something.  I'm certain it wasn't important, since none of this actually is.

Tonight was the fundraiser gala for Camp Del Corazon.  The camp is for kids 7 to 17 that have had heart surgeries.  I donated @falguy $100 for winning the contest. That was part of 300 others that donated $100 at the end and that portion raised 30k.   Every $1250 sends a kid to camp for free.  It's one of the few camps that allows heart kids. 

Tonight was the fundraiser gala for Camp Del Corazon.  The camp is for kids 7 to 17 that have had heart surgeries.  I donated @falguy $100 for winning the contest. That was part of 300 others that donated $100 at the end and that portion raised 30k.   Every $1250 sends a kid to camp for free.  It's one of the few camps that allows heart kids. 
Bravo & well done, guys. 

👏

Wonderful.   :heart:  

Heard a boring "My Fab Four" yesterday on the Beatles Channel.  Increases the tingling anticipation of Krista's magnum opus even more. 
👍

Speakin' of My Fab Four, last week I went out shopping for cat toys and other supplies - and - while out, I musta told 10 different peeps about this thread & K's comin' stardom.

Count me committed...

Did you get an air date yet?
No.  He’d said late April or early May, and that he’d email about a week prior.  I might check with him next week if I haven’t heard anything.  It remains to be seen if I’ll share the air date with anyone else.   :)  

Didn't someone in this thread go to see the Beatles tribute called "Rain"?  I thought someone had gone and enjoyed, while other someones were opposed to the notion.  I noticed that the show is going to be at Chateau Ste. Michelle (mmmm, wine) this summer, and I thought my stepfather might enjoy it.  Then again, I could take that price, multiply it by eight, and buy Paul McCartney tickets instead.  

Didn't someone in this thread go to see the Beatles tribute called "Rain"?  I thought someone had gone and enjoyed, while other someones were opposed to the notion.  I noticed that the show is going to be at Chateau Ste. Michelle (mmmm, wine) this summer, and I thought my stepfather might enjoy it.  Then again, I could take that price, multiply it by eight, and buy Paul McCartney tickets instead.  
I'm going June 21

I was hoping we were going to take the kids but my son has marching band practice that night, which around here seems to be pretty serious business.

Heard a boring "My Fab Four" yesterday on the Beatles Channel.  Increases the tingling anticipation of Krista's magnum opus even more. 
I heard a really good one yesterday.  Regular schmoe, Jeff from somewhere in Ontario.  He did an excellent job, though; sounded like a natural.  Plus he selected the Golden Slumbers to The End part of the medley, Nowhere Man, She Loves You, and All My Loving.  Solid.

I was driving at the time with three others in my car, and when they introduced it had this sudden panic that it was going to be mine!

I heard a really good one yesterday.  Regular schmoe, Jeff from somewhere in Ontario.  He did an excellent job, though; sounded like a natural.  Plus he selected the Golden Slumbers to The End part of the medley, Nowhere Man, She Loves You, and All My Loving.  Solid.

I was driving at the time with three others in my car, and when they introduced it had this sudden panic that it was going to be mine!
See, that's the same one I heard.  And I call it boring simply because you could tell he wasn't incorporating quality shtick like you're going to.  He did sound pretty clean, and I respect the AR Medley choice.  

See, that's the same one I heard.  And I call it boring simply because you could tell he wasn't incorporating quality shtick like you're going to.  He did sound pretty clean, and I respect the AR Medley choice.  
Maybe he was incorporating quality shtick, but we just don't know his shtick.   :)   For instance, if I worked the word "Shaft" into mine, no one outside this thread will know that was shtick.

Maybe he was incorporating quality shtick, but we just don't know his shtick.   :)   For instance, if I worked the word "Shaft" into mine, no one outside this thread will know that was shtick.
Maybe they should, though.   Maybe they should.  
Honestly, "shaft" is pretty good shtick all on its own... 

Yous shafted me! 

Hop on me shaft....babyyy.

Does my shaft look too small in deese pants, honey-pie? 

Sorry, Shaft - yous handle is shtick ready for entire globe. 

I likes that! 

😎

Users who are viewing this thread