What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 1980's One Hit Wonders . . .​​​​ #1 - LIPPS, INC. - Funkytown *** (2 Viewers)

Co-founder Mark Mothersbaugh went on to write and produce music for TV,  film, and video games and has had more projects than could be listed here.
Always liked this trivia. From Wikipedia:

In early 1970, Lewis and Casale formed the idea of the "devolution" of the human race after Casale's friend Jeffrey Miller was killed by Ohio National Guardsmen on university grounds during what came to be known as the Kent State shootings.”

Chrissie Hynde was also a student there at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
#87 - DEVO - Whip It (#14 - 11/15/1980 - 25 weeks)
I don't believe this one came up in the other OHW thread. I would be surprised if people say they have never heard this one before.

LeBron's potentially former neighbors and their famous,  funky red hats/helmets. Even though the video for the song had already been produced, it did not appear on the first day of MTV's first day broadcasting.

Known for their quirky, robotic songs, the band put out 8 albums in their initial 12 year run. Like other 80's acts, they took 20 years off and returned for the 80's retro / reunion craze. Their cover of Working In A Coalmine from the film Heavy Metal was their closest thing to a second Top 40 hit, stalling at #43 on the Hot 100 chart.

Singer Gerald Casale went on to become a successful music video director and worked with acts like The Cars,  Rush, A Perfect Circle, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, , and Silverchair.

Co-founder Mark Mothersbaugh went on to write and produce music for TV,  film, and video games and has had more projects than could be listed here.

Up next, a song written by Bob Geldolf (Boomtown Rats) and Midge Ure (Ultravox), performed by four dozen of their closest friends with music performed by Ure, Phil Collins, John Taylor, and Andy Taylor.
Finally

great band

I don't believe this one came up in the other OHW thread. I would be surprised if people say they have never heard this one before.

LeBron's potentially former neighbors and their famous,  funky red hats/helmets. Even though the video for the song had already been produced, it did not appear on the first day of MTV's first day broadcasting.

Known for their quirky, robotic songs, the band put out 8 albums in their initial 12 year run. Like other 80's acts, they took 20 years off and returned for the 80's retro / reunion craze. Their cover of Working In A Coalmine from the film Heavy Metal was their closest thing to a second Top 40 hit, stalling at #43 on the Hot 100 chart.

Singer Gerald Casale went on to become a successful music video director and worked with acts like The Cars,  Rush, A Perfect Circle, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, , and Silverchair.

Up next, a song written by Bob Geldolf (Boomtown Rats) and Midge Ure (Ultravox), performed by four dozen of their closest friends with music performed by Ure, Phil Collins, John Taylor, and Andy Taylor.
It feels like Christmas in here!

This band gets slagged off a lot, but I like them. Freedom Of Choice, Beautiful World, tons of other solid tunes.

#86 - BAND-AID - Do They Know It's Christmas (#13 - 1/19/1985 - 9 weeks)
The bigger names included in this cavalcade of stars included some or all of U2, Bowie, McCartney, Sting, Phil Collins, Duran Duran, and George Michael.
The demi-gods and mere mortals include Kool & The Gang, Boomtown Rats, Utlravox, Bananarama, Spandeau Ballet, Culture Club, Style Council, Paul Young, Status Quo, Big Country, and Heaven 17.

I found it a little odd that the song only charted for 9 weeks. I guess that would make sense if Chritsmas came and went and people wanted to move on. There were future renditions and collaborations in 1989 (without as star studded a cast) . . . and again in 2004 . . . and again in 2014. I don't believe anyone appears on all four versions (Bono is included in 3 of them).

Coming up, a woman who earlier in her career appeared in a show called Orgy before she strapped in and hit the airwaves.

#84 - TERRI GIBBS - Somebody's Knockin' (#13 - 4/25/1981 - 22 weeks)
Gibbs lost her eyesight as a newborn but started to learn the piano at age three. She went on to release 7 country albums in 9 years, and like many others on this list, took a decade long break and returned to record four additional albums.

Also like many others on the list, her first single proved to be her most successful. Rich Man was the follow up to Somebody's Knockin' and climbed to #90 on the Hot 100. She hit the Country Top 40 seven times.

Up next, a British dance pop duo that started out as The Quick and only put out one album 

Anarchy99 said:
#84 - TERRI GIBBS - Somebody's Knockin' (#13 - 4/25/1981 - 22 weeks)
Gibbs lost her eyesight as a newborn but started to learn the piano at age three. She went on to release 7 country albums in 9 years, and like many others on this list, took a decade long break and returned to record four additional albums.

Also like many others on the list, her first single proved to be her most successful. Rich Man was the follow up to Somebody's Knockin' and climbed to #90 on the Hot 100. She hit the Country Top 40 seven times.

Up next, a British dance pop duo that started out as The Quick and only put out one album 
My mom had the "Somebody's Knockin'" LP when I was a kid. I remember thinking that she couldn't really be blind because she wore sunglasses. And why would a blind person need sunglasses? :bag:

Here's another countdown extra because I had this song stuck in my head all day. JON ASTLEY - Jane's Getting Serious.
It was a minor hit back in 1987 but was probably more famous for being in a ketchup commercial with Matt LeBlanc. LINK
I was not aware until today that Eric Clapton played guitar on that track.

Astley had much greater success as a record producer. He co-produced The Who's Who Are You album and has engineered / remastered a ton of albums for the likes of Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Bad Company, The Rolling Stones, and a ton of others. LINK

#83 - GIANT STEPS - Another Lover (#13 - 11/12/1988 - 22 weeks)
Giant Steps was a British Duo that originally called themselves The Quick.

The Quick hit the top of Billboard's Hot Dance Music / Club Play chart with a song called Zulu in 1981. They put out 4 or 5 albums and had some success internationally before abruptly turning into Giant Steps. I can't find any explanation as to why the sudden name change. Giant Steps released one album and then vanished.

Vocalist Colin Campsie went on to become more of a songwriter with tracks recorded by the likes of Kylie Minogue, Natalie Imbruglia, Chaka Khan, and Mel C. George McFarlane, the other half of Giant Steps, went on to produce, compose, and play on albums for other artists.

Coming up, a true one hit wonder (they only recorded a total of two songs) implores everyone to put the needle on the record.

#83 - GIANT STEPS - Another Lover (#13 - 11/12/1988 - 22 weeks)
Giant Steps was a British Duo that originally called themselves The Quick.

The Quick hit the top of Billboard's Hot Dance Music / Club Play chart with a song called Zulu in 1981. They put out 4 or 5 albums and had some success internationally before abruptly turning into Giant Steps. I can't find any explanation as to why the sudden name change. Giant Steps released one album and then vanished.

Vocalist Colin Campsie went on to become more of a songwriter with tracks recorded by the likes of Kylie Minogue, Natalie Imbruglia, Chaka Khan, and Mel C. George McFarlane, the other half of Giant Steps, went on to produce, compose, and play on albums for other artists.

Coming up, a true one hit wonder (they only recorded a total of two songs) implores everyone to put the needle on the record.
And here I thought David Brent's music career was a work of fiction.

I had a small part in this True One Hit Wonder

Hit #9 on the Billboard Top 100 (Not Dance or Urban)

Hit #3 in the Germany, #4 in UK, #6 in Belgium, #6 in Ireland, #8 in Canada, #10 in the Netherlands, #16 in Austria and #22 in New Zealand

And yes it sounds dated but remember when we recorded this it was over 35 years ago.

#82 - M|A|R|R|S - Pump Up The Volume (#13 - 2/20/1988 - 23 weeks)
MARRS rapid ascent was equaled by it's fast decline. It was a collaboration between the groups A.R. Kane and Colourbox. MARRS record Pump Up The Volume and a B side and never recorded together again. Colourbox never reformed. A.R. Kane continued on and put out three albums. 

Pump Up The Volume was one of the early songs to feature samples of other artists (the song has 29 samples). It was featured in the film Bright Lights, Big City. It hit #1 in five countries, as well as the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart. It's still played a fair amount today (I heard it twice at a theme park yesterday.)

Phil Collins played drums and produced the next song on the list, a track written by Russ Ballard.

#81 - FRIDA - I Know There's Something Going On (#13 - 3/26/1983 - 29 weeks)
The other "A" in ABBA (her full name is Anni-Frid Lyngstad). The first "A" was Agnetha Fältskog, who was featured when we covered the #29's with I Can't Shake Loose. Russ Ballard wrote both that song and I Know There's Something Going On. Ballard was the former lead singer and guitarist for the band Argent before embarking on a solo career. I couldn't find the link between Ballard and ABBA. But the song hit #1 in three countries and went Top 10 in ten others. Phil Collins played drums and Genesis / Phil solo band mate Daryl Stuermer plays guitar.

On deck, an Italian-based band takes to the jungle with a song that was featured in Listerine commercials in the 90's.

#81 - FRIDA - I Know There's Something Going On (#13 - 3/26/1983 - 29 weeks)
The other "A" in ABBA (her full name is Anni-Frid Lyngstad). The first "A" was Agnetha Fältskog, who was featured when we covered the #29's with I Can't Shake Loose. Russ Ballard wrote both that song and I Know There's Something Going On. Ballard was the former lead singer and guitarist for the band Argent before embarking on a solo career. I couldn't find the link between Ballard and ABBA. But the song hit #1 in three countries and went Top 10 in ten others. Phil Collins played drums and Genesis / Phil solo band mate Daryl Stuermer plays guitar.
I don't think there was a direct link between Ballard and ABBA except for the fact that he produced or wrote a string of megahits in the late '70s and early '80s.

I don't think there was a direct link between Ballard and ABBA except for the fact that he produced or wrote a string of megahits in the late '70s and early '80s.
He also did some solo stuff, including the cool tune/modest hit Voices.

Was featured in a Miami Vice episode.

The link to Phil Collins was that Frida was in the middle of a divorce to one of the "B's" in ABBA and apparently listened to Collins' first solo album over and over and liked it so much she wanted him to produce her album. 

He also did some solo stuff, including the cool tune/modest hit Voices.
"Voices" would fit perfectly on a list of songs that were popular in the '80s (due to MTV, radio airplay, or dance club exposure) but never charted in the top-40.

Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe
This is another one directly linked to Miami Vice.

I remember it like yesterday. I was in the basement/TV room of a good friend.

His parents were out of town, and I had just recently started smokin cigs - menthol...🤮

Well, we were watching this, and I smoked nearly a pack - since it was not often (never) I got to smoke indoors.

I have not had a menthol since - wish I could say the same for regular cigs. ☹️

Still love the song tho.  ✊  😎 🚬

#80 - BALTIMORA - Tarzan Boy (#13 - 3/1/1986 - 38 weeks)
I had forgotten about this one but remember it well. Baltimora was essentially a duo of Maurizio Bassi, a music producer and musician from Milan, and Jimmy McShane, an emergency medical technician who worked for the Red Cross in Northern Ireland.

They put out 2 albums in the 80's and enjoyed more success in Europe (Tarzan Boy hit the Top 10 in 9 countries). It still charted well in the U.S., staying on the Hot 100 chart for a staggering 38 weeks.

The song enjoyed a second run on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1993 as a remix, climbing to No. 51 thanks to its appearance in a Listerine commercial. The song was also featured in the films Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III (1993), Beverly Hills Ninja (1997), A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014) and The Wolfpack (2015).

Coming up, a remake that features vocals and percussion only but no other instruments.

I thought this would be a cool goal song for my sons hockey team. I did the music and was tired of Chelsea dagger so switched to

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

😎

Bruce Cockburn never achieved much International success, but he was huge in Canada. Ditto for Red Rider/ Tom Cochrane's solo career.

I remember Lunatic Fringe on the radio a lot in 1981-82.  It got a second life on the Vision Quest Soundtrack.  

Nick Lowe's big song was Cruel to be Kind, but that was released in 78-79 I believe.

#79 - THE NYLONS - Kiss Him Goodbye (#12 - 8/1/1987 - 17 weeks)
Our first entree of the #12's, The Nylons were (are?) a Canadian a cappella group comprised of gay men that recorded covers of already popular songs. They had minor charting hits with Happy Together and The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Kiss Him Goodbye does not carry the same spark, attitude, or bravado as the original as performed by Steam. Another cover that charted that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  There will be bigger fish to fry, so not really worth delving more into this one.

Up next, a song title that Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Tony Romo, or Jason Witten would say.

Users who are viewing this thread