What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

On Balance, How Proud Of America Are You? (1 Viewer)

On Balance, How Proud Of America Are You?

• Extremely Proud of America

Votes: 47 19.6%
  • Mostly Proud of America

Votes: 98 40.8%
  • On the fence

Votes: 55 22.9%
  • Mostly Ashamed of America

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • Extremely Ashamed of America

Votes: 10 4.2%

• Total voters
I went with "mostly proud". I answered based on the entire history of our country.  While I do think its the best country to live in--I do think that our past and present actions are not as glamourous and pride instilling as our history books and spin doctors make them out to be.  Our hands are not nearly as clean as we try to make them out to be. 

Mostly proud.

While I certainly don't approve of everything US politicians and citizens do and say, our country remains the most powerful and influential country in the world, and I am happy to be a citizen. I would rather live in the US than in any other country, regardless of what various rankings say.

McBok, what's up bro?!  Are you still in Phoenix?  I thought you moved back to Pitt.

I couldn't disagree more.  The US is the greatest country in the world because we can have this convo, and it isn't close.  Rapinoe can thumb her nose at the US, that's her prerogative.  Oh BTW, the reason she can do that is that we put processes in place 40 years ago to enable women's sports equivalence.  Does anyone notice that we tend to kick ### in women's sports on a global stage? The answer is no.  
Stop. She’s not thumbing her nose at the US. She’s thumbing it at Trump. 

Good post. While we’re still the greatest innovators and businesspeople on the planet, a lot of the America is the best! rhetoric is relying more on our track record than current trajectory.
I would compare it to a once great company selling out it's name for a little extra profit now.

Extremely proud although starting to get frustrated with a lot of the anti-American sentiment and the direction I see this country going in the next 20 years or so. I'm glad I lived when I did and dont have kids that will have to deal with what is to come.

Extremely proud although starting to get frustrated with a lot of the anti-American sentiment and the direction I see this country going in the next 20 years or so. I'm glad I lived when I did and dont have kids that will have to deal with what is to come.
I know it's not going to easy for them. But I have more hope that me kids will actually fix things, instead of just talking about it.

this is the greatest country in the world....yes, it has warts, but deal with it or go somewhere else....every opportunity you ever wanted is right here, including posting crap on this website...i can not understand the #####ing and moaning that goes on when the reality is you could live in a place where you don't get to have a say...bottom line, love it or leave it...

I don't think picking one overall greatest nation is really possible.  I mean I think we're pretty up there when it comes to day to day life.  But when you look at specific things, there are a lot of things that are done better elsewhere.  Healthcare? No brainer.  Food? Subjective, but we're really not tops here either.  Public transportation? Another no brainer that other countries blow us away there.  These are examples of areas I'm certainly not proud of our country for.  A lot of quality of life studies I've seen put places like Denmark or similar countries ahead of us, mostly for valid reason.   

I live here primarily because my family lives here, I speak the language and it's a culture and way of life I've known my whole life.  I have family in Europe and I think I would certainly be happy living there if my French was a bit better.  
Gotta disagree on the food.  There isn’t a country in the world that has close to the variety this country offers.  Although several countries have great local cuisines, I’m usually ready to get back to the states for Mexican, a steak, sushi, favorite coffee shop, etc. after a week or so of travel.  

Gotta disagree on the food.  There isn’t a country in the world that has close to the variety this country offers.  Although several countries have great local cuisines, I’m usually ready to get back to the states for Mexican, a steak, sushi, favorite coffee shop, etc. after a week or so of travel.  
That is awesome unless you are one of the 40,000,000 or so Americans going hungry on a regular basis. 

Food Insecurity in the US

Which is funny cause most of the food is from other countries :shrug:  

I know it's not going to easy for them. But I have more hope that me kids will actually fix things, instead of just talking about it.
I hope so but I don't have much confidence in the direction this country is going. More and more will rely on government to take care of them.

Which is funny cause most of the food is from other countries :shrug:  
And aside from maybe the steak, much much better in those other countries.

Let's review some of our accomplishments which we lead the world on and which I really do not see even see there is a close second to:

-Most medical advancements

-Most technology advancements in virtually every field

-Most advancements in creating a free society of diverse people.

-Most advancements in creating opportunity for anyone of any class to succeed.  

-Most advancements helping free other countries 

-Greatest economic achievement

Now you can argue some countries in some areas are doing something better than the US is now.   But without the US laying the ground work, none of this countries would be squat.  That is why we are the greatest nation this world has ever seen.   We lead the world and lifted them up.  

jon_mx said:
Let's review some of our accomplishments which we lead the world on and which I really do not see even see there is a close second to:

-Most medical advancements

-Most technology advancements in virtually every field

-Most advancements in creating a free society of diverse people.

-Most advancements in creating opportunity for anyone of any class to succeed.  

-Most advancements helping free other countries 

-Greatest economic achievement

Now you can argue some countries in some areas are doing something better than the US is now.   But without the US laying the ground work, none of this countries would be squat.  That is why we are the greatest nation this world has ever seen.   We lead the world and lifted them up.  
Agree with most of this, though income inequality and xenophobia are leading to our decline. Rome was pretty great back in the day, too, but being the best isn’t guaranteed to last forever.

Can the US do better in many areas?

Absolutely.

Is any other country in the world better across the board?

No.  Name any other country and go over it with a fine tooth comb like we do our own and it won't stand up.  No other country has even attempted to improve the world to the degree that we have. 

We were the primary reason Fascism was defeated and single handedly stopped Communism from taking over the world.  We still dominate the world in the almost all fields of science, secondary education, music, film, fashion and charity.

You think we have an immigration problem? Read up on Europe and their issues.  You think we have racism issues?  Again read up on the rest of the world.  Nobody fights more for human rights around the globe than we do.  Our country has over 320 million people and we let them say almost whatever they want online.  If every nation were being judged by its loudest, ugliest citizens, it will not fare any better.

The US is the most audacious experiment of all time and it has paid off in spades.  If you don't understand that and all of the context around the history of the world, you need a history lesson.  If you look at everything over the last 250 years and feel ashamed overall, then I think you are either deceived or uneducated. 

Outside of slavery, we really don't have a major flaw and every other great nation in the world has a similarly awful blemish on their resume.  Our current President is embarrassing on many fronts and kids at the border need cared for better.  But ashamed "on balance"?  Seems like an ignorant stance to take at best.

Absolutely.

No.  Name any other country and go over it with a fine tooth comb like we do our own and it won't stand up.  No other country has even attempted to improve the world to the degree that we have. 

We were the primary reason Fascism was defeated and single handedly stopped Communism from taking over the world.  We still dominate the world in the almost all fields of science, secondary education, music, film, fashion and charity.

You think we have an immigration problem? Read up on Europe and their issues.  You think we have racism issues?  Again read up on the rest of the world.  Nobody fights more for human rights around the globe than we do.  Our country has over 320 million people and we let them say almost whatever they want online.  If every nation were being judged by its loudest, ugliest citizens, it will not fare any better.

The US is the most audacious experiment of all time and it has paid off in spades.  If you don't understand that and all of the context around the history of the world, you need a history lesson.  If you look at everything over the last 250 years and feel ashamed overall, then I think you are either deceived or uneducated. 

Outside of slavery, we really don't have a major flaw and every other great nation in the world has a similarly awful blemish on their resume.  Our current President is embarrassing on many fronts and kids at the border need cared for better.  But ashamed "on balance"?  Seems like an ignorant stance to take at best.
I'm not ashamed, but it's not a ridiculous stance to suggest we aren't currently the best country for the happiness of the average citizen. Our track record of innovation and promoting peace is unparalleled, to be sure, but that doesn't automatically rank us #1 into perpetuity.

Here are a couple rankings that already say we ain't #1:

Number 8

19th happiest

I'm not ashamed, but it's not a ridiculous stance to suggest we aren't currently the best country for the happiness of the average citizen. Our track record of innovation and promoting peace is unparalleled, to be sure, but that doesn't automatically rank us #1 into perpetuity.

Number 8

19th happiest
Happiness of the average citizen is only one of thousands of possible measuring sticks.

I could pick apart each of those countries ranked above us in each of those lists in many other aspects.  I'd argue that even pitting the US against Scandanavian countries in anything isn't even remotely fair to either side.  So many of these attempts to rank countries become apples and oranges comparisons due to thousands of fundamental differences.

Happiness of the average citizen is only one of thousands of possible measuring sticks.

I could pick apart each of those countries ranked above us in each of those lists in many other aspects.  I'd argue that even pitting the US against Scandanavian countries in anything isn't even remotely fair to either side.  So many of these attempts to rank countries become apples and oranges comparisons due to thousands of fundamental differences.
I'd say it's the most important individual metric. Although subjective, it encompasses a lot of things which contribute to overall quality of life. 

But like others have said, It's kinda impossible to characterize any country as "best."

I'd say it's the most important individual metric. Although subjective, it encompasses a lot of things which contribute to overall quality of life. 

But like others have said, It's kinda impossible to characterize any country as "best."
But for who? Inject tens of thousands of Latin American immigrants into each of those Northern European countries and see how the overall "hapiness metrics" move.  Why aren't Southern European nations on those lists?  I can tell you almost assuredly it is due to their cultural history and immigration issues from Africa and the Middle East.

Countries that have either priced out or have geographic limitations to immigration from poor countries have an unfair advantage on these lists. To count that against us is unfair and comparing apples to oranges.

Agree with most of this, though income inequality and xenophobia are leading to our decline. Rome was pretty great back in the day, too, but being the best isn’t guaranteed to last forever.
Yes, but you look at the enormous eloborate castles and churches built around the world over the centuries prior to our existence, and understand the conditions the typical peasant lived in vs. royalty, and the US did a heck of a lot in advancing the living standards for the lower classes.   Despite still not being ideal and perhaps now going in the wrong direction, we moved the bar to an enormous improvement where the common folk have it pretty darn good.  Some countries may be better today, but it is our system of governance which lead the way for more countries to advance.  

But for who? Inject tens of thousands of Latin American immigrants into each of those Northern European countries and see how the overall "hapiness metrics" move.  Why aren't Southern European nations on those lists?  I can tell you almost assuredly it is due to their cultural history and immigration issues from Africa and the Middle East.

Countries that have either priced out or have geographic limitations to immigration from poor countries have an unfair advantage on these lists. To count that against us is unfair and comparing apples to oranges.
Nobody said it was a fair comparison. And I'm not a fan of the unsubtle suggestion that unhappiness is a function "immigration issues".

Yes, but you look at the enormous eloborate castles and churches built around the world over the centuries prior to our existence, and understand the conditions the typical peasant lived in vs. royalty, and the US did a heck of a lot in advancing the living standards for the lower classes.   Despite still not being ideal and perhaps now going in the wrong direction, we moved the bar to an enormous improvement where the common folk have it pretty darn good.  Some countries may be better today, but it is our system of governance which lead the way for more countries to advance.  
Sure, but the question is, Which country is currently the best?

Absolutely.

I generally agree with your post, but the bolded is not true, since it ignores how we treated (and still treat) Native Americans.

That said, I still agree the US is the best country in the world, as I posted previously.

I generally agree with your post, but the bolded is not true, since it ignores how we treated (and still treat) Native Americans.

That said, I still agree the US is the best country in the world, as I posted previously.
Japanese internment camps?

Treatment of women before suffrage?

Some of the wars we've been involved in?

Nobody said it was a fair comparison. And I'm not a fan of the unsubtle suggestion that unhappiness is a function "immigration issues".
Do immigration issues contribute to the true unhappiness of a nation?  Probably not and it is definitely not a certainty.

Do immigration issues negatively effect metrics that are used in the happiness rankings you posted?  I think that is a cold hard fact that cannot be disputed.

Don't be so naive as to think that the lifting up of a group of people from poverty will not have an overall pulling down effect on the lifestyle and resources of the population with which they integrate.  It is an inevitable effect.  However, I fully believe it is worth the effort and cost and should be what this country is about, happiness ranking be damned.  Which again brings me to why I think we are the greatest nation on earth, despite not outperforming Scandavia and Iceland in some arbitrary ranking sytem.

I think a lot of things that people are arguing over in America would require certain things that are sort of antithetical to the American experiment. One side cites immigration and diversity as a problem, the other side argues for a social democratic economic system like most of Europe has. But we're not only a nation of immigrants and absorption, but also one of economic dynamism and a lesser safety net or government intervention.

I guess I'd argue that the things that make American dynamism unique and diverse can both detract and add to America's place in the world as unique.

There is no country quite like America, including its inception. Whether this is good or not is debatable. Some people fall on one side; others on the other. The good thing about this, and the easy remedy, is that this is easily solved by emigration or expatriating one's self. Change is also possible, but I would advocate that it fall within the country's character and spirit. 

I said "major" flaw and I don't think any of those would qualify.

However, I think the treatment of Native Americans does qualify as a major flaw.  (And to be fair, I wrote that post at like 2:30 in the morning.)

My point was, if you run down the list of our major competition you will find similar or worse atrocities in their history.  Japan, England, France, Germany, China, and Russia all have done some awful horrible stuff to people in their past, some of it even more recent than our history with slavery.

Sure, but the question is, Which country is currently the best?
It wasn't, the question was are you proud of your country. It's a very American thing to go straight to the "we're #1!" stuff. It's what's struck me most reading this thread, there's no middle ground between "best country EVAH!#!#!#"... and "I don't have pride in my country"

I'd also like to say that our history is unique in that we proclaimed to extend rights to all of man; it's the definition of man we had a problem with, not the rights themselves.

To recognize "man" as an entity with rights was not our problem, and that was a huge break from the rest of the world. It's something to be proud of; not to completely dismiss as something as a stain on our history. Our progress is due to our vigilance over this definition, that we do not forget our history and see it accurately is good, not bad. 

It wasn't, the question was are you proud of your country. It's a very American thing to go straight to the "we're #1!" stuff. It's what's struck me most reading this thread, there's no middle ground between "best country EVAH!#!#!#"... and "I don't have pride in my country"
I think I very much struck a middle ground and I think other posters did, too.

I have tons of pride in my country and see it as something that could certainly use improvement in several categories where I feel we've gotten away from the original intent of what it was founded upon. 

Number 8

19th happiest
It is impossible to fairly rank and compare countries. Look at the populations of the countries on that first list that are ranked above the US:

1. Switzerland - 8.5M
  2. Japan - 126.8M
  3. Canada - 36.7M
  4. Germany - 82.7M
  5. UK - 66.0M
  6. Sweden - 10.1M
  7. Australia - 24.6M
  8. US - 325.7M
The US population is almost as large as the combined populations of the 7 countries ranked above it on this list. And on top of the sheer size difference in the populations, the population diversity is not remotely comparable. One in 7 US residents is foreign born, which means the US has more foreign born residents than 4 of the countries ranked above it in this list.

I also looked at the ranking methodology, and it is unclear... it appears that the US should rank above the UK on their list, which would put the US at #7. :shrug:  

Don't make the mistake of reading the posts and letting that be your understanding of the overall views on the subject.  If you look at the poll data, it clearly shows that the majority of people are "mostly proud of America" (which was my vote) and there is a steady decline toward the number of people that are ashamed.  The fact that there aren't that many people vocal about the middle ground is endemic of the nature of people in the middle ground: they just aren't as passionate about the subject.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that slavery and our treatment of Native Americans were the only negatives, just pointing out a second example to disprove the original premise that slavery was the only blemish.

With regard to Japanese internment camps, I don't condone what was done, but I can at least understand it.

With regard to treatment of women before (and after) suffrage, was the US really behind a lot of other countries in the world in its treatment of women? I don't know the answer.

Some of the wars we have been involved in were certainly best avoided, I can't disagree with that. But, on balance, IMO the US has been a massive net positive to the world in terms of military conflict (and military conflict avoided).

Do immigration issues contribute to the true unhappiness of a nation?  Probably not and it is definitely not a certainty.

Do immigration issues negatively effect metrics that are used in the happiness rankings you posted?  I think that is a cold hard fact that cannot be disputed.

Don't be so naive as to think that the lifting up of a group of people from poverty will not have an overall pulling down effect on the lifestyle and resources of the population with which they integrate.  It is an inevitable effect.  However, I fully believe it is worth the effort and cost and should be what this country is about, happiness ranking be damned.  Which again brings me to why I think we are the greatest nation on earth, despite not outperforming Scandavia and Iceland in some arbitrary ranking sytem.
It's also possible immigration contributes to the happiness of a country, is it not? Not all immigrants are impoverished refugees. Even if some of them are, I disagree with the concept their utilization of resources outweighs tangible benefits they bring to a community - jobs/services they perform, culture/cuisine they introduce, etc.

It's also possible immigration contributes to the happiness of a country, is it not? Not all immigrants are impoverished refugees. Even if some of them are, I disagree with the concept their utilization of resources outweighs tangible benefits they bring to a community - jobs/services they perform, culture/cuisine they introduce, etc.
:goodposting:

Agreed. And on the bolded, I was a bit surprised at the criticism in the thread about food in the US. The US has its own cuisine, which is pretty good IMO. But it is also true that you can get food from just about every culture in the world in the US. Sure, in many cases it isn't the same, but in many cases it is, at least in big cities with large immigrant populations.

No, it was the question I was addressing in my post, in response to multiple people saying America is the best . I realize the OP was different, but occasionally threads wander to related topics. It's not like its an unreasonable tangent.

My lack of pride in the country has nothing to do with how I think the US performs relative to the rest of the globe. For me, it is kinda silly to take pride in something I accomplished by chance (being born here) and contributed next to nothing to attaining its status. 

This doesn't mean I think America is terrible. On the contrary, it's a great place for me to live and there are few alternatives I'd consider. 

It's very true that we were born here by chance. We won the lottery, all things considered. I'm seriously proud of my country but realize that I had little to do with its founding nor its continued role in the world.

It is impossible to fairly rank and compare countries. Look at the populations of the countries on that first list that are ranked above the US:

1. Switzerland - 8.5M
  2. Japan - 126.8M
  3. Canada - 36.7M
  4. Germany - 82.7M
  5. UK - 66.0M
  6. Sweden - 10.1M
  7. Australia - 24.6M
  8. US - 325.7M
The US population is almost as large as the combined populations of the 7 countries ranked above it on this list. And on top of the sheer size difference in the populations, the population diversity is not remotely comparable. One in 7 US residents is foreign born, which means the US has more foreign born residents than 4 of the countries ranked above it in this list.

I also looked at the ranking methodology, and it is unclear... it appears that the US should rank above the UK on their list, which would put the US at #7. :shrug:  
Again, I see no reason why the comparisons must be fair, as each country has a unique set of circumstances. You can still pick the one you like best, by whatever criteria you value most.

My criteria are a happy, healthy population, in a setting where resources are allocated to minimize ignorance, disease and poverty. Wealth and innovation are great, but those are secondary  to overall quality of life of the populace.

Regarding "no middle ground", while many posts in this thread support that, the poll results here do not.

Also, the theme of this thread is introspection. It's great hear from non-US posters, but not everyone here knows who the non-US posters are. Including that in posts would add some useful context. 🍁

Somewhere between on the fence and ashamed.  When traveling abroad I'm frequently amazed at how better a lot of things are outside of the US.  So many things from healthcare to potato chips.  While there certainly are things to be proud of, the notion that we should have the level of pride like we are the greatest nation on earth really is a bit of a head shaker.
I suspect the typical American may be less aware of how things work outside our own country than are people of other countries. If so, that could affect our judgment regarding whether our country is the "best" or not, and the degree of "pride" we feel about this country as it is currently.

I'm not well-traveled myself, but many here are and I'd appreciate hearing thoughts on this.

I love the American pride from the anti abortion right wingers.  One question, how many children has the US killed abroad?  How about this year?  Was the cost of those life worth it overall, not just for the US interests.

Extremely Proud...

That doesn’t mean there aren’t black marks in our history.  It doesn’t mean we’ve as a nation made every right choice and chosen every just path.  It also doesn’t mean we have to be #1 in every ranking related to happiness or quality of life.

The US in the modern world carries the mantle of economic and military superpower...and with that comes a responsibility that we have always embraced since we ascended to that status.  Globally we are largely admired for many qualities; our ideals, leadership, service, innovation...and yes - diversity.

I was proud when Obama was President just like I’m proud now that Trump is.  My pride isn’t conditional based on who is sitting in the Oval Office.  My pride is based on our history, our outlook, our fabric.  It’s based on the accomplishments of this great nation; past present and future that has been the largest influence by far of the world we live in today. 

We are not perfect.  Nor will we ever be.  But we always strive for progress in every meaningful aspect of life and liberty.  And that path of progress is never smooth...but we always travel it.  Sometimes united and indeed sometimes divided.  But there is never a day where I don’t feel fortunate to be an American and to live an American life.  Others should be so lucky.

KCitons said:
So to reflect on the question is to reflect on your personal life. Are you living your best life? Is America offering you the chances to be your best? I have everything I could want or need. I've helped others to achieve their best. The older I get, the more I think about my children. Are they going to have the opportunity to live their best life? This forces me to look at things from a micro level and ignore everything else. 

I think a majority of this country is overloaded with issues that are deemed a crisis. CNN has their "Breaking News" banner up every day. I've become numb to what constitutes an important issue. Factor in the political positioning with each issue and I honestly just shrug my shoulders and change the channel.
This, so much this. If people were to stop looking at everything, and in particular everything they can find to be offended by (on both sides of the aisle), most of which has NO effect on their lives and they have NO ability to change anyway, and hunker down and worry about themselves and those in their immediate sphere of influence that they can have an impact on, this country would be a much better place. 

I for one, am extremely proud of this country. Why? Because it offers me the opportunity to bust my ### and make something of myself and give my kids more than I had. And I'm not talking about more stuff. My kids have plenty of that, maybe too much. I'm talking about experiences. Events, trips, concerts, shows, movies, plays, summer camps, private school, etc.

Are there people out there that don't have the same opportunities I have? Yes. Are there people out there that choose not to work hard enough to rise above their station? Sure. And that's their choice. I choose a different path and because I'm in this country, I am able to do more than I ever thought possible. We weren't put on this earth to pay bills and die. We were lucky enough to be born here. Take advantage of it. 

I love the American pride from the anti abortion right wingers.  One question, how many children has the US killed abroad?  How about this year?  Was the cost of those life worth it overall, not just for the US interests.
Nice soundbite to show angst over something that is so insanely complex that you can't possibly fathom all that goes into our actions abroad and the results of those actions. But that sure looks good in a four sentence rant. Do you feel better now? Or do you need to go to your safe place and lament what this nation has done. And if it's such a problem for you, let me help you with your bags. 

Users who are viewing this thread