What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (2 Viewers)

He can do both if it’s for the benefit of the US, just not for his own personal benefit.  
I am not sure about that ... I don't think its legal to bribe or extort foreign leaders for anyone's benefit.  But, I am a bit out of my depth here.

Of course, there is also a very fine line between "negotiating" and "extorting"...  I don't think Trump has any clue where that line might be - its all a part of doing business to him.

Even if there are tapes to prove this, the GOP base, donors, and elected leaders will accept any explanation used by his pathetic lackeys on TV.  That's what happens in every case with Trumpists. I hope all the details come out and the info can be used to help defeat him in the 2020 election. Maybe the scandal and the blind GOP defense of Trump results in a resounding defeat for the GOP . Its more likely the right will tale up the Ni shagu nazad! tactic and use it to fire up their base. 
If there’s tapes, he’s done. Even as bad as the GOP has been they will know that 2020 will be impossible. Someone like Romney will announce he’s running for President and Trump will be gone. It won’t be about doing the right thing for the country, it will be about doing the right thing for the party. That’s what it’s always been and of there’s tapes, that time is coming.

As @Sinn Fein pointed out, everything depends on the phone call- IF there is a tape of the phone call, and IF Congress and the public get ahold of it. If there is no tape or if we never hear it, Trump will get away with this. 

If they go to court to get the tape, it could take a year or longer. The White House will no doubt fight it all the way to the Supreme Court. Based on the unanimous decision against Nixon, Trump should lose this but you never know. In the meantime none of this is likely to be resolved prior to the election. 
I agree that actual recordings will be important.  However, even with them, there seems like plenty of wriggle room to claim no wrong doing.  We'll see but my guess is this ends up fading away like everything else.

If there’s tapes, he’s done. Even as bad as the GOP has been they will know that 2020 will be impossible. Someone like Romney will announce he’s running for President and Trump will be gone. It won’t be about doing the right thing for the country, it will be about doing the right thing for the party. That’s what it’s always been and of there’s tapes, that time is coming.
As much as I'd love to agree, I don't. The base won't care, and that will cause the GOP leadership to remain scared and silent.

As @Sinn Fein pointed out, everything depends on the phone call- IF there is a tape of the phone call, and IF Congress and the public get ahold of it. If there is no tape or if we never hear it, Trump will get away with this. 

If they go to court to get the tape, it could take a year or longer. The White House will no doubt fight it all the way to the Supreme Court. Based on the unanimous decision against Nixon, Trump should lose this but you never know. In the meantime none of this is likely to be resolved prior to the election. 
To echo Ivan a little bit this is not hard, there is a solution - open an impeachment proceeding, subpoena the tape and transcript and when Trump refuses it bring it to a court and ask for an emergency hearing. There is even an explicit Supreme Court precedent about a president withholding tapes and this is even stronger than the Nixon case because this isn't some private executive circle conversation. 

Even if there are tapes to prove this, the GOP base, donors, and elected leaders will accept any explanation used by his pathetic lackeys on TV.  That's what happens in every case with Trumpists. I hope all the details come out and the info can be used to help defeat him in the 2020 election. Maybe the scandal and the blind GOP defense of Trump results in a resounding defeat for the GOP . Its more likely the right will tale up the Ni shagu nazad! tactic and use it to fire up their base. 
Ha, this is funny.

But you are dreaming of a world that doesn't exist anymore.

The only way this hurts Trump is if there is an explicit quid-pro-quo on tape, and I doubt Trump is brazen enough to do such a thing.

Ha, this is funny.

The only way this hurts Trump is if there is an explicit quid-pro-quo on tape, and I doubt Trump is brazen enough to do such a thing
Right. There is no "done" anymore even if Trump is on tape. Why? Because Trump has been elevated to Supreme Ruler and can't commit crimes. 

Ha, this is funny.

The only way this hurts Trump is if there is an explicit quid-pro-quo on tape, and I doubt Trump is brazen enough to do such a thing.
The GOP is about their best interest and it will take a lot for Trump to not be their best interest. This will do it. I think there will be a quid-pro-quo included. I think Trump is that brazen and that dumb. He’s empowered by beating the Russia stuff and finally having an AG that acts like his personal lawyer.

Ha, this is funny.

The GOP is about their best interest and it will take a lot for Trump to not be their best interest. This will do it. I think there will be a quid-pro-quo included. I think Trump is that brazen and that dumb. He’s empowered by beating the Russia stuff and finally having an AG that acts like his personal lawyer.
I think you seriously underestimate the GOP's threshold for "crimes and misdemeanors" -- at least when a Republican President is involved.

The public has already been exhausted with the Russia story, so at this point an actual crime will not cause outrage. Republicans in Congress are well aware of this, and they're going to exploit it for as long as they can.

It may seem like it would be in the GOP's best interest to "do the right thing", but the strategy could easily backfire -- just as it did for the Republicans in 1976.

As much as I'd love to agree, I don't. The base won't care, and that will cause the GOP leadership to remain scared and silent.
What are they scared of?  There's zero reason to be scared.  If anything, they should be licking their chops with the realization that their support isn't far off in quality from the minions in Despicable Me

What are they scared of?  There's zero reason to be scared.  If anything, they should be licking their chops with the realization that their support isn't far off in quality from the minions in Despicable Me
Unemployment. Anyone crosses Trump, he's getting voted out. And that's all they care about. Country be damned. 

Kyle Griffin citing WH Pool report:

Trump on the whistleblower story and Biden:

"POTUS calls it a 'Ridiculous story' and a 'Partisan whistleblower' ... Asked whether he discussed Biden in this conversation, POTUS 'it doesn't matter what I discussed' and says 'someone ought to look into Joe Biden'."

:(

Unemployment. Anyone crosses Trump, he's getting voted out. And that's all they care about. Country be damned. 
Yeah....at this point, I don't believe there is anyone left in Congress who wants to do the right thing but is scared.....this silence isn't out of fear it's because they agree.

Trump says he has no idea who the whistleblower and has no idea about what they said but also somehow knows the person is highly partisan.

Also said all his conversations are "beautiful".

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
In my dreams.

Trump says he has no idea who the whistleblower and has no idea about what they said but also somehow knows the person is highly partisan.

Also said all his conversations are "beautiful".
Expanding on that:

Trump on the whistleblower complaint:

"Ridiculous"; "partisan person" -- but "don't know the identity"; was a "beautiful conversation," and his conversations are "always appropriate." Asked if he talked about Biden, he said, "it doesn't matter what I discussed."

There was a discussion elsewhere comparing the Watergate era to today and I don't see how you can escape the conclusion that the country's right no longer cares about governing honorably. It is determined to hold onto power, even if backed by a minority of voters, for every day that it can and no act of blatant grift will undermine that need. 

The whole the President is insulated from indictment argument is based upon a nearly 50 year legal opinion.  It has never been addressed by a Court.  This outdated legal opinion is now being coupled with executive privilege and extended by the Barr Justice Department to insulate the President from any prosecution, investigation, or application of legal restrictions, which completely removes him from Congressional or legal oversight.  Such a notion is completely absurd.  Sure, I get that a President shouldn't be accused of murder when calling in troops to quell a riot, or an inadequate response to a national emergency, or from speeding tickets for his motorcade, but murder is OK?  There is no oversight?  He can't be investigated?  That is crazy, authoritarian stuff that has no business in a representative democracy.  Impeach this clown.

Trump encourages the media to play up the whistleblower complaint so, he says, the media will look worse when this whole story implodes. "You're a joke," he says of the media.

:potkettle:

I think I’m more sick of the Democrats gyrating and bloviating  around impeachment at this point.  Whining turds. They can access whatever they want if they opt for a real impeachment process.

After the collusion fiasco I’m not inclined to believe any of them.  Put up or shut up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I’m more sick of the Democrats gyrating and bloviating  around impeachment at this point.  Whining turds. They can access whatever they want if they opt for a real impeachment process.

After the collision fiasco I’m not inclined to believe any of them.  Put up or shut up.
You know it was a Trump appointee that called this "credible and urgent" right?

After the collusion fiasco I’m not inclined to believe any of them.  Put up or shut up.
Like what everyone wears matching t-shirts?

You know it was a Trump appointee that called this "credible and urgent" right?
I agree with jonessed in principle, the Dem’s are being Nancy’s (looking at you, Pelosi) in all this.  IF Trump & Co. are operating extra-constitutionally, then it’s now time to quit complaining and actually take up the mantle of “checks and balances”; do something!  

There was a discussion elsewhere comparing the Watergate era to today and I don't see how you can escape the conclusion that the country's right no longer cares about governing honorably. It is determined to hold onto power, even if backed by a minority of voters, for every day that it can and no act of blatant grift will undermine that need. 
I attribute the change almost exclusively to right wing media.

I agree with jonessed in principle, the Dem’s are being Nancy’s (looking at you, Pelosi) in all this.  IF Trump & Co. are operating extra-constitutionally, then it’s now time to quit complaining and actually take up the mantle of “checks and balances”; do something!  
Oh that I totally agree with and perhaps I misread @jonessed post. I'm pissed they let Lewendowsky run all over them. They should have dragged him away in handcuffs.

What do Repubs and Mitch want?
Trump in 2020.  You new to politics? 

Dems are in quite the quandary, do they put all the eggs in the impeachment basket or do they back a lukewarm candidate in the election.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how Rudy went on tv to deny and also to confirm the rumors.  Shows a lot of moxie. 
It makes sense to cover all the bases.

This is a crazy story. If the widespread suspicions are true, that Trump was trying to induce a foreign country to interfere in our election, this will be the craziest story in U.S politics since 2016.

I keep thinking about the similarities between the Trump administration and Antonio Brown. They keep trying to outdo each other.

Trump in 2020.  You new to politics? 

Dems are in quite the quandary, do they put all the eggs in the impeachment basket or do they back a lukewarm candidate in the election.  
If this tape is real they won’t have any choice as @snitwitch wrote. 

As to your second point, Donald Trump makes any opponent a powerful one, likely to win. 

It makes sense to cover all the bases.

This is a crazy story. If the widespread suspicions are true, that Trump was trying to induce a foreign country to interfere in our election, this will be the craziest story in U.S politics since 2016.

I keep thinking about the similarities between the Trump administration and Antonio Brown. They keep trying to outdo each other.
I'm sure Robert Kraft will stand by both.

Disagree on both counts. Trump is absolutely brazen/stupid enough to do such a thing. Despite being a pathological liar, he is incredibly blunt and transparent. Also transactional and unburdened by ethics. So yeah, he’d come right out a say it.

However, it still won’t hurt him.  The base will believe his lies about what he said on tape rather than just listen to what he said on tape.

I attribute the change almost exclusively to right wing media.
That point was also made in the discussion elsewhere. At some point along the line, the right quit worrying about its actions becoming uncovered by the media and instead went about changing the media. I wonder whether Nixon or St. Ron was the main catalyst?

I am not a fan of Hillary Clinton, but she tweeted today and is right on: The President sought help from a foreign leader to help win an election. Again.
"There is not a politician in Congress who would not do the same.  Its called Winning! And, nobody does winning better than Donald Trump!"

-John Barron

Users who are viewing this thread