What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When is the last time you ran? (2 Viewers)

Actually, no. I hate running.

About 7 years my neighbor signed up for a half marathon and brought it up in conversation. Said she needed someone to run with. Seeing as I was overweight, and she was hot, I said: "Sure, why not?"

I was getting to be in a bad place. Drinking too much, eating terribly...I was going down a bad road. I started to run to change my lifestyle. Thanks to her she got me off my butt.

7 years later I've run 3 marathons, a dozen half marathons, and a couple of 5k's. I've lost about 24 pounds and kept it off. I no longer have to use cholesterol medicine. I have lost about an inch or two in belt sizes. I look and feel way younger than my 50 years.

I still hate to run. But I hate the guy I used to be more. So I keep running. 
So to get back into running all I need is a hot chick who needs a running partner?

Hmmm

40/NYC/Male.  Ran probably a couple of months ago in a 5k that my kids did.   Did a bit of training for it as well.  I have a bad back and so rarely run as the bothers me so do more low impact workouts (big fan of biking and rowing machine).  

Mods, might as well merge this with the ran a 10k thread.
I was looking more for people that run outside of training for a marathon. When you reach 50, and kids are out of the picture, do people still find reasons to run on a regular basis? Whether it's just for fun, as part of a sport, or from bees. 

I still play basketball and do sprints on occasion. I was always pretty fast, I would always finish near the top when sprinting during practice (football, basketball, volleyball).

I just hate long distance running. I'd rather sprint or do HIIT. I'm impressed by the guys who run 20-30 miles a week because I don't think I ever could.
No thanks!

I was looking more for people that run outside of training for a marathon. When you reach 50, and kids are out of the picture, do people still find reasons to run on a regular basis? Whether it's just for fun, as part of a sport, or from bees. 
The way I see it is I’m officially old when I can’t run or jump a fence or hop off a loading dock, etc...

By continuing to do these things I’m keeping myself agile and loose. Besides, it’s fun!

Now you are making this a depressing thread. I have 1 in college and the other is a senior in HS... while my wife and I have had fun being pseudo empty nesters, I miss them being smaller!
I know that will happen to me one day but I’m enjoying mine being older and having two driving - helps.  I’m able to more easily get out for runs.

The way I see it is I’m officially old when I can’t run or jump a fence or hop off a loading dock, etc...

By continuing to do these things I’m keeping myself agile and loose. Besides, it’s fun!
I know multiple people that have blown out a knee doing something similar to this. It's something that is always in the back of my mind. At my last job, I helped my employees on an 18' box truck occasionally. The box was about 4 feet off the ground. My lead driver would always caution me about climbing/jumping to the ground. He's been doing it for over 10 years and had seen people tear up knees and ankles. He would always ride the tommy lift down and he was 25 years younger than me. 

46/M/somewhere close to purgatory

So running on a treadmill doesn't count?  Running off a treadmill, it's been a couple of years at least.  

I've always hated running.  Like ChiefD, though, I could see myself getting into it for health reasons in the next few years.

I walk around my business complex twice a day though.  If that means anything.  

53 m hoping to get 65-70 miles in this week. Don’t particularly care for running but love the challenge of ultra races. My passion was cycling but after witnessing a 32 yo father basically get decapitated and die in seconds sliding into an on coming car, my passion for life won out and now I run

I run "just for fun" and to get in better shape. Having some race I've signed up for helps keep me motivated and keeps me from parking my butt on the couch and scrapping the whole thing.

Having my kids out of the picture actually makes it all that much easier. That and having my wife "on the wagon" with me. We actually have pseudo "date nights" a couple times a week now that involve workouts. She has no desire to run but we go to the Y together. Last night we went, I went outside and ran about 6 miles while she rode 11 miles on the bike inside. Afterwards, we ran some errands on the way home. 

53 m hoping to get 65-70 miles in this week. Don’t particularly care for running but love the challenge of ultra races. My passion was cycling but after witnessing a 32 yo father basically get decapitated and die in seconds sliding into an on coming car, my passion for life won out and now I run
Sorry for your loss. 

That's a lot of miles in a week. I should ask where people that run more than a few miles a week, do you have a special place you run every day? Beach, mountains, or just around a track? Do you live in a moderate climate region? Living in Nebraska, we can go a month without the temp getting above freezing. 

I know that will happen to me one day but I’m enjoying mine being older and having two driving - helps.  I’m able to more easily get out for runs.
Oh, trust me, my wife and I are loving this. We've taken a couple of short trips together and this whole running thing - especially getting ready for a marathon - would never have happened when they were younger. The free time now for a lot of things is awesome. I still miss them being little sometimes!

I run "just for fun" and to get in better shape. Having some race I've signed up for helps keep me motivated and keeps me from parking my butt on the couch and scrapping the whole thing.

Having my kids out of the picture actually makes it all that much easier. That and having my wife "on the wagon" with me. We actually have pseudo "date nights" a couple times a week now that involve workouts. She has no desire to run but we go to the Y together. Last night we went, I went outside and ran about 6 miles while she rode 11 miles on the bike inside. Afterwards, we ran some errands on the way home
Doesn't count.  ;)

I know multiple people that have blown out a knee doing something similar to this. It's something that is always in the back of my mind. At my last job, I helped my employees on an 18' box truck occasionally. The box was about 4 feet off the ground. My lead driver would always caution me about climbing/jumping to the ground. He's been doing it for over 10 years and had seen people tear up knees and ankles. He would always ride the tommy lift down and he was 25 years younger than me. 
I hear ya. Im assuming those are guys who aren’t in the best shape. I get that an injury can happen to anyone but I do a lot of box jumps and at the end of my sprints I run full speed and jump the length of a picnic table that’s at the school I exercise at. That’s my barometer. When the day comes that I can’t clear that picnic table - I’m toast. 

Aren't you worried about the wear n tear? I did 6 miles every other day for a few years and made the decision that I should switch to sprints and bike riding. 

Sorry for your loss. 

That's a lot of miles in a week. I should ask where people that run more than a few miles a week, do you have a special place you run every day? Beach, mountains, or just around a track? Do you live in a moderate climate region? Living in Nebraska, we can go a month without the temp getting above freezing. 
In in Indianapolis. I run a few different places. 1) Around my neighborhood and others close by - I can go anywhere from 3 to 15 miles without having to deal with traffic too much. 2) On the Monon Trail - old railroad track converted to a really nice paved trail that's about 25 miles total one way. 3) Combo of the canal and the cultural trail in downtown Indy. 4) A few different parks near home - both paved and trail runs are available with a short drive from home. 

Sorry for your loss. 

Also... when the weather gets crappy here, I've done 2 things - one was invest in a some decent running gear and kind of embraced running outside when it wasn't "too bad". For me that means no snow/ice on the ground and temps of 15-20 or warmer. If it's icy/slick or colder than that, I run on a treadmill at the Y or go to the downtown Y and run on the indoor track.

Aren't you worried about the wear n tear? I did 6 miles every other day for a few years and made the decision that I should switch to sprints and bike riding. 
Yes.  My back has been giving me issues but I'm 20 pounds overweight.  I'm hoping the pain goes away if the weight falls off.  I know I'll have to retire from running at some point, just have a few races on the bucket list to cross off first.  I'm sure I'll transition to mountain bike riding once I'm retired.  mtg'ing is a pain in the butt schedule wise relative to lacing up shoes and walking out the front door.

This should tell you how much I know about running. 
Don’t get me wrong, a lot of runners hate the cold too.  For many, though, the cold is not bad when wearing the proper cold weather gear....and better than sweating your ### off in 70 + degree weather!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, no. I hate running.

About 7 years my neighbor signed up for a half marathon and brought it up in conversation. Said she needed someone to run with. Seeing as I was overweight, and she was hot, I said: "Sure, why not?"

I was getting to be in a bad place. Drinking too much, eating terribly...I was going down a bad road. I started to run to change my lifestyle. Thanks to her she got me off my butt.

7 years later I've run 3 marathons, a dozen half marathons, and a couple of 5k's. I've lost about 24 pounds and kept it off. I no longer have to use cholesterol medicine. I have lost about an inch or two in belt sizes. I look and feel way younger than my 50 years.

I still hate to run. But I hate the guy I used to be more. So I keep running. 
Since I have started running early in my neighborhood early mornings I have noticed some other people running together.  What is hard for me to relate to is that they are having a full on conversation while they are running.  For me, probably because I am still out of shape, I am not able to comfortably have a conversation when I am running.

Since I have started running early in my neighborhood early mornings I have noticed some other people running together.  What is hard for me to relate to is that they are having a full on conversation while they are running.  For me, probably because I am still out of shape, I am not able to comfortably have a conversation when I am running.
Im in good shape and I dont get that either. I’m a loner to begin with so I enjoy my music or podcasts when I used to run longer distances.

Yes, that will improve over time as you get fitter.  Slowing down a little also helps.

I'm 59 and used to run 20-25 miles per week until about six years ago when my back said enough.  I ride my bike now but it's not the same. 

I gave running another try in 2017 but it didn't go well.  I still have illusions about it but I need to improve my core before starting.

Yes, that will improve over time as you get fitter.  Slowing down a little also helps.
I have never particularly enjoyed talking while running. Lack of coordination I think. Even at a slower pace, I tend to not breath well/effeciently if I run and talk at the same time. Similar problem happens if I jump rope for exercise if I am wanting to count the reps. Jump, count, breath - I have to pick 2. 

I ran a 10K 5 years or so ago and that was it.  Once my wife got pregnant with twins, our lives sorta just......stopped.  Which is stupid, because you can't neglect your body, but it's what happened.  They are 4 now and there's no reason I can't start running again, but I just don't want to.  I need to, but it sounds dreadful. 

I do run with my 2nd grade girls soccer team at our practices, but I am not in very good shape and get winded pretty easily.  That's not good.  I also need to lose 20-30 pounds and it's not like my diet is wonderful.  

I did sell my car in March and haven't bought another.  I walk in total 5 miles round trip walking/commuting by train to work.  So that's 25 miles a week and I'm pretty active on the weekends, but running....eh, just sounds painful.

47M, ran a couple times last week. Ran a faster 5K at 40 than age 20. I plan to try and beat it at 50. Knees are good but my motivation isn't.

Seems like a good place to ask this....

I never - NEVER - had any aches and/or pains associated with walking/running.  Until now.  The heels of my feet hurt, especially when I get up in the morning and hop out of bed.  Not enough to keep me off my feet or keep me from walking every day, but man, the pain is real.  I've been a Nike guy for a long time (they're in my backyard and I get good deals on them) but I'm starting to think I need to make a change.  At least I hope it's the shoes and not something else.  

Is this normal when you reach your mid to late 40s or am I just a big fat toad who needs to drop the weight to ease up on the wheels?   Should I try New Balance? :bag:

Every Sunday 6-7 miles.

Not enough.

Bike commute to and from work daily. Still not enough.
I was a commuter cyclist for over a decade, but my hours changed making it a less safe proposition, so I stopped. Bummer because that kept me in way better shape and prevented me from sauntering into work 5-10 min late like I do now.

I never - NEVER - had any aches and/or pains associated with walking/running.  Until now.  The heels of my feet hurt, especially when I get up in the morning and hop out of bed.  Not enough to keep me off my feet or keep me from walking every day, but man, the pain is real.  I've been a Nike guy for a long time (they're in my backyard and I get good deals on them) but I'm starting to think I need to make a change.  At least I hope it's the shoes and not something else.  

Is this normal when you reach your mid to late 40s or am I just a big fat toad who needs to drop the weight to ease up on the wheels?   Should I try New Balance? :bag:
Having good shoes is important - some to do with having right type for your running style; lot to do with having enough support. But good chance it's also the extra weight, depending on how much you are talking. I've got from 235 to 192-ish. The more I've lost, the less my feet, knees, and back hurt. Also has to do with making sure I do a much better job of stretching and such now than I ever did when younger. Amazing how much more that matter now than it did when I was 20-something.

64 next week; currently running 60+ miles a week in training for the Marine Corp Marathon in one month (s/b a qualifier for my fourth Boston Marathon in 2021).  I have hopes of placing top three in my age group in the MCM.  That said, marathons are a love/hate thing, as training becomes rather all-consuming.  I still do an annual triathlon as I enjoy the swimming, biking, and all-around fitness from that preparation. Marathon training makes me a very skinny dude. 

(Just started a thread regarding the fundraising I'm doing at MCM on behalf of The Elk Institute, a non-profit that serves vets dealing with PTSD and other traumas.)

Two things:

1) It might be related to your running style.  Are you a big heel striker?  Ideally, you'd land mid-foot or even fore-foot and 'spring' rather than clomp.

2) What might help in the morning, before getting out of bed, is to sit on your bed and use each foot to "write" the alphabet with your foot ...get the foot moving around in different directions to loosen things up.

Not normal and yes, you should lose the weight. 

I ran a 10K 5 years or so ago and that was it.  Once my wife got pregnant with twins, our lives sorta just......stopped.  Which is stupid, because you can't neglect your body, but it's what happened.  They are 4 now and there's no reason I can't start running again, but I just don't want to.  I need to, but it sounds dreadful. 

I do run with my 2nd grade girls soccer team at our practices, but I am not in very good shape and get winded pretty easily.  That's not good.  I also need to lose 20-30 pounds and it's not like my diet is wonderful.  

I did sell my car in March and haven't bought another.  I walk in total 5 miles round trip walking/commuting by train to work.  So that's 25 miles a week and I'm pretty active on the weekends, but running....eh, just sounds painful.

Would you like a crystal ball? We have twins as well. (our daughter was 15 months old when the boys were born). I look at the pictures from before kids. Wife and I were in much better shape. I remember my last semester at college, I would hang out in the gym for hours. Play pickup basketball, lift weights, etc. Then life got in the way. I know it's not an excuse. It seems like everything else takes priority over yourself. 

KCitons said:
Sorry. Not my intentions.

Back to the conversation at hand. Anyone do water aerobics? Would I look like a creepy perv if I showed up in my speedo?
you'd look like a creepy perv if you showed up and weren't wearing a speedo

Users who are viewing this thread