What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (1 Viewer)

I wasn’t planning on doubling up on a group in consecutive years, especially since this and Anarchy in the U.K. both ended up on the same album, but this is too big of a song to leave off my playlist. Plus it’s round 44, so I’m doing what I want ok?  Yo Mama selects:

44.ym - Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen (1977)

I’m going with the b-side No Feelings, not because I particularly love the song, but because it’s on the incredibly rare and valuable A&M single release (so I could hock it if my bar needs a capital influx). 

Let’s list some of the ways this song is awesome. The single release was conspicuously the same time as the Silver Jubilee for Queen Elizabeth, which pissed off lots of people. It was banned by the BBC and a number of other media outlets in the U.K.  Efforts were made to not count the record sales for the single to keep it from showing up as number 1 in the official singles chart. 

God save the queen
The fascist regime
They made you a moron
A potential H bomb

God save the queen
She's not a human being
and There's no future
And England's dreaming

Oh when there's no future
How can there be sin
We're the flowers
In the dustbin
We're the poison
In your human machine
We're the future…

Wonder why people got so upset at this song. 

Personally, I’d go with Monday’s, then Cars. I had 99 Luftballoons on my list but decided to go another direction that year. Love that Free album (took it in the desert island draft), but Alright Now is a bit overplayed for me. 

44th Round  Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger (single release year 1996)

I've never really investigated the Oasis catalog for a variety of reasons, but this song hits it out of the park IMO.  Huge, emotional vocal.  "Imagine" riffs at the beginning.  There's a lot of John Lennon in this song, and in this case I don't mind that.

There are two b-sides, of which I'll take one, Step Out.

The collaboration aspect here springs again from the Smokin' Mojo Filters supergroup, which included Noel Gallagher and Paul.  In addition, Zak Starkey was the drummer for Oasis for 4-5 years in the mid-aughts.  Finally and most importantly, Liam Gallagher's kid and Ringo's grandson were arrested together earlier this year and charged with "affray" after a ruckus at a supermarket.  Now that's collaboration!

I have a favor to ask the group - I'd like some input on my "any year free pick" - below is my current list. Can we discuss this a bit?  

(1968) Green Tamborine - The Lemon Pipers

My pick cause ...

Drop a dime before I walk away
Any song you want I'll gladly play
Money feeds my music machine
Now listen while I play
My green tambourine

... this one gets you every song ever!!!!

I just realized going through the spreadsheet and adding songs to spotify I skipped my 33 round pick.

33.Clap your hands now

Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit (Claptone Remix)

Clubbing days were a thing of the past when this thing came out, but this is like an old 4/4 house tune with a deep soul voice. fits well with the rest of the jukebox.
Whoa...now, that...THAT was cool. House isn't usually my thing, but - that was.
I loved it too. I had not heard this remix, as I discovered the song via a slightly different version (spoilered, but I doubt it would be considered spotlighting):

Gonna respond blindly without scrolling to see what others said:

Talk talk - hard pass

Green Tamborine - strong maybe

Alright Now - tough call vs Green Tamborine

Hold Your Head - okay song, but doesn't compete with the last 2

Thunder & Lightning - not familiar with this song...first listen, I think I enjoyed it most so far. But disclaimer - first listen.

I Don't Like Monday's (and I don't like this song)

Cars - this might be it

AEIOU - what the #### is this

99 Luftballoons - the cover version is better and it didn't make my cut

They Don't Know - if we're grading this on an 80's music scale it's not awful, but if we're grading this on a good music scale it is

What I Am - I think I remember this song, but am not quite sure. Immediate reaction - not bad, but forgettable. Probably why I'm not sure whether I remember the song or not.

---

I vote Cars but wouldn't fight Alright Now, Green Tamborine, or Thunder & Lightning.

44th Round  Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger (single release year 1996)

I've never really investigated the Oasis catalog for a variety of reasons, but this song hits it out of the park IMO.  Huge, emotional vocal.  "Imagine" riffs at the beginning.  There's a lot of John Lennon in this song, and in this case I don't mind that.

There are two b-sides, of which I'll take one, Step Out.

The collaboration aspect here springs again from the Smokin' Mojo Filters supergroup, which included Noel Gallagher and Paul.  In addition, Zak Starkey was the drummer for Oasis for 4-5 years in the mid-aughts.  Finally and most importantly, Liam Gallagher's kid and Ringo's grandson were arrested together earlier this year and charged with "affray" after a ruckus at a supermarket.  Now that's collaboration!
I may hate everything about this band, but between me and this group (whispers) I love this song. I'll never admit it to any of my friends though.

As an Irishman, i resent the Rats being considered a one-off in any fashion. It just aint so, even under Bink's new terms. Cars or AEIOU, whichever fits the mix best

In searching for this song when I typed in 'presidents kick' google autofill's top choice was 'kicked out of office.' Water came out my nose on that one.

Round 45 The Presidents Of The United States of America - Kick Out The Mother ####### Jams (1995)

I had this in the 95 slot til the beginning of this week when I realized my juke's got enough Zep already in it. I decided a little MC5 will do it some good - and maybe a taste of Detroit flavor will get @Ilov80s to come out of hiding and finish what he started.

Last edited by a moderator:
In searching for this song when I typed in 'presidents kick' google autofill's top choice was 'kicked out of office.' Water came out my nose on that one.

Round 45 The Presidents Of The United States of America - Kick Out The Mother ####### Jams (1995)

I had this in the 95 slot til the beginning of this week when I realized my juke's got enough Zep already in it. I decided a little MC5 will do it some good - and maybe a taste of Detroit flavor will get @Ilov80s to come out of hiding and finish what he started.
I will for sure finish it before this the draft wraps up. Just got sucked into the movie draft and some other projects for school to prep for the online period we will be starting with. 

45.xx Summer Wind, Frank Sinatra (1966) (MY DOUBLE DIP)

My favorite feeling in the whole wide world - and, mind you, i've been with 8 women @ once; taken adrenachrome, speedballs & clinical acid, climbed pyramids on 4 continents; done standup comedy; sired two sons; had an "author" call at the end of a play; John Belushi steal a bit from me and dozens of Scary Mary's applesauce specials on hot days - is when a woman i'm walking with folds herself into me and snakes both her arms around one of mine. Summer Wind is as close as music has come to replicating that sensation.

44.ee - Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America - The 1975 (2020)

The shape-shifting English band tries Bruce's suit on for size.  Like a lot of modern hipsters, they've opted for the "I'm On Fire" sound. 

The song is a postmodern take on Springsteen that substitutes irony for the Boss' earnestness.  Phoebe Bridgers sings the third verse.

My Free Play - 1980.  Most of my Free Play options were from the early 80s or 2015-2018 range.  But you old farts only allowed free plays from the 70s, because you're old.

This baseline is so sweet it was used in 3 of my short list songs.

43.xx Another One Bites The Dust - Queen (1980)

May take the B-side Dragon Attack - it has a good little groove, but may be a bit too rock'n'roll for my mix.

BTW, The name of my Bar/Juke has changed to:  Groove Sauce

44.ee - Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America - The 1975 (2020)

The shape-shifting English band tries Bruce's suit on for size.  Like a lot of modern hipsters, they've opted for the "I'm On Fire" sound. 

The song is a postmodern take on Springsteen that substitutes irony for the Boss' earnestness.  Phoebe Bridgers sings the third verse.
You're not kidding, I've tried to shoe horn a couple of their songs in my mix, but I just can't do it...

P.S. LOOOOVE Phoebe Bridgers.

We have five songs left to choose.  I have two I want in open years, plus the free roll.  I've been auditioning all kinds of songs for the other two spots, and nothing nothing is appealing to me.  :(  
Work may not allow, but if I'm wrong I intend to take a deep dive into my remaining open years tomorrow and Friday. May stop listening to what you all post though. I have a road map laid out for the rest of my draft, but like a few of my recent picks I'm a bit under whelmed by it. I've been quiet about it because it's very obvious others are struggling to the finish a lot more than I am!

Users who are viewing this thread