What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 Viking Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Vikings.com sure changed quickly. All offseason Daunte stood on the left side of the screen. Now Childress stands.

No link yet, but I heard the Vikes made an offer to Stephen Neal today. Here's a link about him visiting with the Vikes.

No link yet, but I heard the Vikes made an offer to Stephen Neal today. Here's a link about him visiting with the Vikes.
That would be freaking great! It they could shore up both guard spots, that gives them a LOT of flexibility with those draft picks.Linebacker in the first @ 17. The two 2nd rounders could be used on any combination of guys capable of playing right tackle (O'Callaghan, Trueblood, etc) and get a better starter than Offord at SS (e.g. Bullocks) or even take a chance on a guy like Omar Jacobs.

At least the Vikings front office is TYRING for a change.

I read that on another board. What a nice OL that would make.

Which one was he? Was he fraud monitoring?

I read that on another board. What a nice OL that would make.
Just read on another board that the Vikes signed Neal. :thumbup:

Pioneer Press Happenings

As they ponder whether to match the Vikings' offer to all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson, the Seattle Seahawks also are considering whether to bring receiver Nate Burleson back home.

Burleson, a Seattle native, will visit with the Seahawks on Thursday and Friday, his agent Ken Sarnoff said.

Burleson confirmed the visit and said, "I always loved the Seahawks and Sonics, because I was a hometown guy."
I like Burleson, but we are awfully deep at wide receiver; K-Rob, M-Rob (I thought he signed a 2 year deal 2 years ago :bag: ), Travis Taylor and Troy Williamson. I would like to see him stay but would be just as happy with a 3rd round pick.
Just visiting: The Vikings met with guard Stephen Neal on Tuesday. Neal has a connection to coach Brad Childress.

Although he has technically spent his entire five-year career with the New England Patriots, Neal actually started in 2001 with the Philadelphia Eagles, where Childress was offensive coordinator. Neal, who never played football in college, started on the Eagles' practice squad before the Patriots signed him to their regular roster.
Don't know a lot about this guy.
Briefly: Jermaine Wiggins, Matt Birk, Antoine Winfield and Brad Johnson were in New York on Tuesday for a photo shoot of them modeling newly designed Vikings uniforms. The pictures will be featured on billboards around the Twin Cities.
News to me...
Green Bay Packers fullback William Henderson is visiting the Vikings today.
Intrigued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something else that crossed my mind last night was Jon Runyon (sp??). What are the chances he signs with Minnesota to play right tackle?

I like Burleson, but we are awfully deep at wide receiver; K-Rob, M-Rob (I thought he signed a 2 year deal 2 years ago  :bag: ), Travis Taylor and Troy Williamson. 
To me, that does not look "deep".
Agreed. What has that crop of receivers done from a non-homer point of view? 3 1,000 yard seasons (1006 from Burly, 1400 MRob, 1240 KRob)? And I don't want to hear the 'look who was throwing to him' crap. Good receivers produce.

I like Burleson, but we are awfully deep at wide receiver; K-Rob, M-Rob (I thought he signed a 2 year deal 2 years ago  :bag: ), Travis Taylor and Troy Williamson. 
To me, that does not look "deep".
Agreed. What has that crop of receivers done from a non-homer point of view? 3 1,000 yard seasons (1006 from Burly, 1400 MRob, 1240 KRob)? And I don't want to hear the 'look who was throwing to him' crap. Good receivers produce.
Fair enough, but I are not talking about overall talent or starting two talent, I was talking about depth. I think K-Rob, M-Rob, Taylor, Burleson and Williamson provide 4 legit weapons for a quarterback. I don't think any of them offer us a T.O.\Harrison\Moss\Chad Johnson #1 option, but I think all four could be a solid #2 for the majority of NFL teams, thus I think they have good depth.

With the Vikings having two second round picks, I can see them trading with NO and taking a QB early in the draft. If NO could get a 1 & 2 I think they might trade out.

I think the Vikes have do alright so far, Pepper was a problem and now he's gone.

With the Vikings having two second round picks, I can see them trading with NO and taking a QB early in the draft. If NO could get a 1 & 2 I think they might trade out.

I think the Vikes have do alright so far, Pepper was a problem and now he's gone.
:no: It will take our 1st, both 2nds, possibly a pick next year and/or a player (Burly was mentioned in PP).

With the Vikings having two second round picks, I can see them trading with NO and taking a QB early in the draft.  If NO could get a 1 & 2 I think they might trade out.

Even my packages (mentioned above) may not be enough. The Giants basically moved up 3 spots to get Eli Manning by giving San Diego an extra 1st round and 2nd round pick. For comparison sake, Minnesota would have to move up 15 spots, so they would have to give up significantly more than an extra 1st and extra 2nd pick.

It will take our 1st, both 2nds, possibly a pick next year and/or a player (Burly was mentioned in PP).
The Z5 leaguemate is smart. Again...There is no way...NO WAY... an NFL team holding the second overall pick is going to trade out of that slot; down to 17 for the price of a pair of second round picks and or the price of a future number one pick and a couple of second rounders. If you are in the Top 5 picks, then you do not drop out of the Top 10. The trade is not equitable in terms of player talent.

The talent level between player available at pick #2 and pick number #17 is HUGE. #2 is a franchise, critical position player. #17 is the second or third best player at a given position. BIG difference. Sure, that pair of second rounders looks great in FF or Madden terms but the reality is that those two players are a greater risk to develop than the same single player available with the #2. It does not add up. Where is the value proposition for the Saints?

Yes, New Orleans, you do have the #2 overall but let me show you how great our #17 and pair of second rounders would look on your team! Someone would have an easier time selling ice to an Eskimo.

It is going to take this year's first; both of the seconds; a legit player (Burleson might not be that guy) and or another #1. Teams at the tail end of the Top 10, like the Lions, would have a hard time moving from 9 to 2.

The Vikings have a good shot of moving to a spot between 5 and 10 with what they have, which DOES put them in position (most likely) to get either Cutler or Young.

With the question marks surrounding both those guys (and after watching 2 college football games, Texas vs OSU and Texas VS USC, I have developed a SERIOUS man-crush on Vince Young) I would rather the Vikings keep their picks and go BPA with them.

The Vikings have a good shot of moving to a spot between 5 and 10 with what they have, which DOES put them in position (most likely) to get either Cutler or Young.

With the question marks surrounding both those guys (and after watching 2 college football games, Texas vs OSU and Texas VS USC, I have developed a SERIOUS man-crush on Vince Young) I would rather the Vikings keep their picks and go BPA with them.
I have no love for Vince Youngpepper nor do I have any love for Cutler; however I have a lot of love for Leinart.But I too would like to see them stand pat and take the BPA.

That is possible especially given the mutliple needs of several of the teams picking between 5-10. It becomes an even easier trade to make if and when Hawk, Williams, Ferguson and V. Davis are off the board. At that point the Vikes probably have enough juice to get something done. Young's good and this coming from a Sooner. The kid wins games. Guys play hard for him. There will be a learning curve but, if given the time to develop and put into an offense that suits him as opposed to a force fit, he'll do just fine.

But Vince in a West Coast Offence? I'd take Cutler if that's the the offence we are going to roll with for the future. Also I saw a couple of Vandy games this year and I like Cutler. Vince has a ton of talent, but I don't want to go through the trials and tribs of a running QB (Vickish).

But Vince in a West Coast Offence? I'd take Cutler if that's the the offence we are going to roll with for the future. Also I saw a couple of Vandy games this year and I like Cutler. Vince has a ton of talent, but I don't want to go through the trials and tribs of a running QB (Vickish).
I'm one that is in the camp of Young being more like McNabb or Cunningham than a Vick. In other words, I'd much rather have a proven winner with off-the-charts talent in Young than a potential winner with yet-unseen abilities in Cutler.

I'm one that is in the camp of Young being more like McNabb or Cunningham than a Vick. In other words, I'd much rather have a proven winner with off-the-charts talent in Young than a potential winner with yet-unseen abilities in Cutler.
But he won in college running up and down the field like a man among boys. He is not going to do that (for long anyway) at the next level. He will get hit and hurt if he tries to win at the Pro level the way he won at the collegiate level.

But he won in college running up and down the field like a man among boys. He is not going to do that (for long anyway) at the next level. He will get hit and hurt if he tries to win at the Pro level the way he won at the collegiate level.
Even if he doesn't, I think he's a great passer too. His athleticism overshadows it.Without looking, can you match the top 3 qbs to their stats? These are passing stats only.

comp/att/yds pct td/int

273/462/3073 59.1% 21/9

212/325/3036 65.2% 26/10

283/431/3815 65.7% 28/8

But he won in college running up and down the field like a man among boys.  He is not going to do that (for long anyway) at the next level.  He will get hit and hurt if he tries to win at the Pro level the way he won at the collegiate level.
Even if he doesn't, I think he's a great passer too. His athleticism overshadows it.Without looking, can you match the top 3 qbs to their stats? These are passing stats only.

comp/att/yds pct td/int

273/462/3073 59.1% 21/9

212/325/3036 65.2% 26/10

283/431/3815 65.7% 28/8
No, I can't.

But he won in college running up and down the field like a man among boys.  He is not going to do that (for long anyway) at the next level.  He will get hit and hurt if he tries to win at the Pro level the way he won at the collegiate level.

comp/att/yds pct td/int

273/462/3073 59.1% 21/9

212/325/3036 65.2% 26/10

283/431/3815 65.7% 28/8
No, I can't.
Interesting, isn't it? I'll add rushing stats in a second.

So if the passing stats are so close as to be nearly indistinguishable, but the running ability is so heavily tilted toward Young, why is he the question mark?

Jay Cutler

Passing: 273/462/3073 59.1% 21/9

Rushing: 106/215 1

Vince Young

Passing: 212/325/3036 65.2% 26/10

Rushing: 155/1050 12

Matt Leinart

Passing: 283/431/3815 65.7% 28/8

Rushing: 51/36 6

So if the passing stats are so close as to be nearly indistinguishable, but the running ability is so heavily tilted toward Young, why is he the question mark?

Jay Cutler

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

College stats? Wow, not too many variables there are there...But if you want to use them this is what they say to me. Out of roughly 500 passing plays for Texas Vince tucked it and ran about one third of the time. Do you think he's just going to stop that behavior and sit in the pocket and make all the reads (especially all the reads required in the WCO). Because if he runs even 1/4 of the time in the NFL he's going to get hurt, and I don't want to cringe every time my QB takes off. Yes it would be exciting and I'm sure he would gain some big yards, but I don't want the worry that goes along with a "running" QB. Why do you think Atlanta won't part with their backup QB?

Jay Cutler

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

College stats? Wow, not too many variables there are there...But if you want to use them this is what they say to me. Out of roughly 500 passing plays for Texas Vince tucked it and ran about one third of the time. Do you think he's just going to stop that behavior and sit in the pocket and make all the reads (especially all the reads required in the WCO). Because if he runs even 1/4 of the time in the NFL he's going to get hurt, and I don't want to cringe every time my QB takes off. Yes it would be exciting and I'm sure he would gain some big yards, but I don't want the worry that goes along with a "running" QB. Why do you think Atlanta won't part with their backup QB?
I give up.

Jay Cutler

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

I give up.
Actually no I don't. I think Leinart not being able to move out of a collapsing pocket is just as much of an injury risk as a scramblng Young.

Not sure about the number font but, I think I like them.Changes to the helmets? A yellow facemask may be cool.
:yucky: I like the current purple ones. The ones I do not like are the white ones. The gold and purple stripes look silly. They should take the stripes off and move a purple stripe to the cuff, like on their practice uniforms. Purple pants with the white jersey might improve them as well.

I know I will probably be blasted here for not liking the whites, because they are "classic" but I have never liked them and I have been a Vikings fan for my whole life.

Jay Cutler

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

I give up.
Actually no I don't. I think Leinart not being able to move out of a collapsing pocket is just as much of an injury risk as a scramblng Young.
Agreed, that's why I'd prefer Cutler - at least he could move if he had to.Look, if by some grace of good fortune one of the 3 falls to them or they trade up to get one I'd be very happy - I think either of the 3 would do well after a year of sitting behind Johnson and learning the offense. Unless we trade into the top 5 or so I just don't see us getting Young or Leinart.

Look, if by some grace of good fortune one of the 3 falls to them or they trade up to get one I'd be very happy - I think either of the 3 would do well after a year of sitting behind Johnson and learning the offense. Unless we trade into the top 5 or so I just don't see us getting Young or Leinart.
:goodposting: :hifive:

Look, if by some grace of good fortune one of the 3 falls to them or they trade up to get one I'd be very happy - I think either of the 3 would do well after a year of sitting behind Johnson and learning the offense.  Unless we trade into the top 5 or so I just don't see us getting Young or Leinart.
:awkwardmanhug:By the way, I just hope they don't touch the helmet.

Look, if by some grace of good fortune one of the 3 falls to them or they trade up to get one I'd be very happy - I think either of the 3 would do well after a year of sitting behind Johnson and learning the offense.  Unless we trade into the top 5 or so I just don't see us getting Young or Leinart.
You and your double entendre's. :blush:

AWWWWHHHH! I am getting all misty! :cry:

This would probably be a triple entendre but I read somewhere that the Viking "horn" on the helmet is refered to around the league as the "smiling sperm".I hope the vikings shoot all there horn on free agency this year.

I started a different post but probably just could have posted this question here, since Andy, Blue and Reg are the ones most likely to know:

Lavar Arrington was in Minneapolis last night, having dinner with Chiildress at Manny's. I have seen NOTHING about him being on our radar... I have to say that I would LOVE it if we signed him....

Did any of you hear anything about him coming and/or being someone we were targeting in Free Agency?

Anything happen with this guy?

I started a different post but probably just could have posted this question here, since Andy, Blue and Reg are the ones most likely to know:

Lavar Arrington was in Minneapolis last night, having dinner with Chiildress at Manny's. I have seen NOTHING about him being on our radar... I have to say that I would LOVE it if we signed him....

Did any of you hear anything about him coming and/or being someone we were targeting in Free Agency?
:shrug: If anybody knows, it would be Reg, the man has a link for everything.

Well I think your still wrong on the Cutler thoughts BO and Andy Du. Vince reminds me of a cross between Vick and Dante, not more like Cunningham or McNabb. Leinart was in a great system with stud athletes all around him. He seems like another coming of Weinke or Wuerfful. At least he's smart and has good size and yes I could be wrong here but I hope someone grabs Leinart before we have a chance.

If we do go LB or Safety with our #1 pick then save to say we go QB and OL (or LB/S that we didn't get at #1) in round 2?

I have not heard anything about this. I keep hearing Bengals, Miami, and Philly on this one.
The Giants still don't have a weak-side linebacker, though, and there now seems to be little hope of them landing LaVar Arrington. A source familiar with his plans told The News that "LaVar is talking seriously with other teams and has no plans to revisit the Giants." It is believed that the Cincinnati Bengals have become the front-runner for his services, and he's expected to visit there in the coming days.
The Giants have been anxious to add Arrington, knowing he could be the centerpiece of their defense. But they're going to have to outbid Arrington's former defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis and the Cincinnati Bengals; the Miami Dolphins, whose linebacker coach George Edwards already has coached Arrington to two Pro Bowls; the Philadelphia Eagles, who have been monitoring Arrington's whereabouts on an almost daily basis; and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Well I think your still wrong on the Cutler thoughts BO and Andy Du. Vince reminds me of a cross between Vick and Dante, not more like Cunningham or McNabb. Leinart was in a great system with stud athletes all around him. He seems like another coming of Weinke or Wuerfful. At least he's smart and has good size and yes I could be wrong here but I hope someone grabs Leinart before we have a chance.

If we do go LB or Safety with our #1 pick then save to say we go QB and OL (or LB/S that we didn't get at #1) in round 2?
I am just not that big on Cutler. I watched some of his film, watched him at the combine and he doesn't seem all that refine. The only guy who is not talking up Cutler to be a top-5 franchise quarterback is Kiper, and oddly enough he doesn't own any draft picks in the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread