What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 Viking Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

BlueOnion

Footballguy
[thread started post signing of Taylor, Longwell, Leber, Hutchinson]

What is the consensus among Viking fans at this point?

Personall,y I am starting to focus on the draft which may be premature. However, it would appear Minnesota wants to take care of all their needs prior to the draft so they can draft the best player avaiable.

Position liklihood

Unlikly Selections:

WR, DE, CB, LT, LG

Possible Selections:

QB, RB, FB, TE, C, DT

Likely Selections:

RG, RT, MLB, OLB, SS

Here is early list of guys I would like to see Minnesota draft with their first pick, provided they would be available.

1 Lendal White

2 Chad Greenway

3 Ernie Sims

4 D'Qwell Jackson

5 David Joseph

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the Ben Leber pickup. Maybe he's better than we know.

I think they overpaid for Taylor, but I thought he'd end up being the starter in Baltimore this year, even if both he and Lewis resigned with them. WTF are the Ravens thinking signing Lewis to that much?

I like going after Hutch and don't care about kickers.

I am disappointed that they didn't go after one of the higher profile linebackers like Witherspoon and Arrington.

I would not like a Lendale White pick.

I WOULD like Greenway or Sims and think either would be a good one. Carpenter is another.

Either Joseph, Spencer, or Jean-Gilles at guard would be fine too.

My #1, most favoritist, bestest pick would be if DeAngelo Williams would drop to them.

I think Leber is a fast LB who can cover, and that's what you need in the new defense. I think he fits in well and could do better here in a defense that plays to his strengths.

I am quite happy with the off-season thus far. I have always been impressed with Chestor and think Lewis's 2,000 yard season was all that was holding him down. The Ravens obviously have a woddy for Lewis with the contract they gave him and in my mind is says that Chestor was never really given a fair shot.

Looking twords the draft I cannot see any way the Vikings draft a RB early...why sign a FA a nice contract and then spend a high pick on another?

I would love to see them take a LB in the first, if Huff happens to drop there then cool, but if we sign Hutchinson I don't see the OLine being much of an issue.

Do we really even see them looking at RB's now with Taylor in the fold (added to MeMo, Faison, "Whizz"...)?

I agree with Andy in saying that I would prefer to see DeAngelo in Purple before Lendale - however, I'd have to say now with their recent free-agent pickups - I'd imagine they'll look for some depth (read - "talented") LB's for the new defense Childress and the "Triangle of Authority" will be implementing.

Hutch signing would be awesome - however, Seattle will probably use the full seven days to match or let him walk.

Why did they sign Longwell so quickly...and do we feel like they even considered Vinateri (albeit at a higher price tag)?

Looking twords the draft I cannot see any way the Vikings draft a RB early...why sign a FA a nice contract and then spend a high pick on another?
Because DeAngelo Williams >> Chester Taylor, IMO.
I would love to see them take a LB in the first, if Huff happens to drop there then cool,
Huff won't drop that far. I think linebacker is the most likely choice.
but if we sign Hutchinson I don't see the OLine being much of an issue.
What do you see on the right side of the line.

I think Leber is a fast LB who can cover, and that's what you need in the new defense. I think he fits in well and could do better here in a defense that plays to his strengths.
Leber is a good LB, however he wasn't a good fit in the 3-4 and had to take a backup role. A lot of Charger fans were disappointed to see him go but think he has the talent to do well with the Vikings. If he is healthy, he should perform very well like he did in 2003.http://www.chargers.com/team/roster_detail...last_name=Leber

This just in:

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper is expected to be traded to the Miami Dolphins Tuesday, March 14, for a second-round draft choice in the upcoming NFL Draft.

This just in:

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper is expected to be traded to the Miami Dolphins Tuesday, March 14, for a second-round draft choice in the upcoming NFL Draft.
:towelwave: HELL YEAH!DLTDHYWTGLSY, CPep.

Because DeAngelo Williams >> Chester Taylor, IMO.
I would love to see them take a LB in the first, if Huff happens to drop there then cool,
Huff won't drop that far. I think linebacker is the most likely choice.
but if we sign Hutchinson I don't see the OLine being much of an issue.
What do you see on the right side of the line.
Here is an option that I haven't heard floated yet. With the 'Fins missing out on Brees (in theory), they trade a #2 for C-Pep, we package that with #17 overall and move up to get........AJ Hawk!!!! Fantastic 40 time, great instincts and is a playmaker. Seems like a perfect fit!

Here is an option that I haven't heard floated yet. With the 'Fins missing out on Brees (in theory), they trade a #2 for C-Pep, we package that with #17 overall and move up to get........AJ Hawk!!!!

Fantastic 40 time, great instincts and is a playmaker. Seems like a perfect fit!
So you think that the #17 and #51 picks = #5 overall?Put down the Madden, son.

Here is an option that I haven't heard floated yet. With the 'Fins missing out on Brees (in theory), they trade a #2 for C-Pep, we package that with #17 overall and move up to get........AJ Hawk!!!!

Fantastic 40 time, great instincts and is a playmaker. Seems like a perfect fit!
What it takes is what it takes. If they want to do it they will find a way. Missing out on Witherspoon has to mean an adjustment to their LB plans. And I can guarantee you that I am way too old to be your son. :boxing:

:P

What it takes is what it takes. If they want to do it they will find a way. Missing out on Witherspoon has to mean an adjustment to their LB plans. And I can guarantee you that I am way too old to be your son. :boxing:
I'm saying that the team at #5 would ask for more than #17 & #51, gramps.

I like what we've done so far in general. I like the Hutch move as we can afford it. Longwell is a good kicker and he's worth the lower money compared to if we went after Vinatieri. I'll take management's word on Beber.

But I am a bit soured today if that Culpepper thing goes through. We're trading him when his stock is the lowest.

I am souring on Lendal White. Over the weekend I read some pre-draft magazine and they were down on his work habit.

I am also souring on Ernie Sims. It has been reported that he has had some concussion problems in college; and usually concussion problems don't eventually go away; especially for a player who plays a high-impact position.

I wonder if Minnesota contacts Drew Brees and at least see if they can get in the ballpark.
I'm only asking because I don't really know the answer.Is there a chance that the Vikes would even think about Aaron Brooks?

Now I see on another post that Brooks might end up in Green Bay. Would the Vikes even think about Brooks now?

Serious question

I would like to see them move up and get Winston Justice. Think about that O-line if we get Hutch as well. LT-McKinnie, LG-Hutchinson, C-Birk, RG-Johnson or maybe Fonoti, RT-Justice. Back-ups Liwienski, Rosenthal, Whittle, and Johnson if Fonoti is re-signed. :excited:

I wonder if we'll make a package deal and move up a bit in the first and go after Jay Culter? Especially now with the extra #2 we have with the Dante deal

I wonder if we'll make a package deal and move up a bit in the first and go after Jay Culter? Especially now with the extra #2 we have with the Dante deal
How 'bout making a play for the #2? Draft Leinart. I think I'd have to change my shorts.

I wonder if we'll make a package deal and move up a bit in the first and go after Jay Culter?  Especially now with the extra #2 we have with the Dante deal
How 'bout making a play for the #2? Draft Leinart. I think I'd have to change my shorts.
According to PFT this is a possibility. NO is shopping the #2 now. Interested parties include: Raider, Jets, Lions, Vikes.

:thumbdown: to Culter. I think he is the click-name when it comes to name dropping for the NFL draft but I just don't see the potential with him. Talent wise I see him as a project 2nd or 3rd rounder ala Brian Griese, Drew Brees, Jake Plummer, Chris Simms type. He could hit, but I don't think it is likely nor do I look at him as a franchise quarterback.

However, I think so highly of Lienart I will not even entertain the idea of Minnesota getting him until\unless it actually happens.

I wonder if we'll make a package deal and move up a bit in the first and go after Jay Culter?  Especially now with the extra #2 we have with the Dante deal
According to PFT this is a possibility. NO is shopping the #2 now. Interested parties include: Raider, Jets, Lions, Vikes.
I have to think it's either that or trade a #2 for Schaub.

I have to think it's either that or trade a #2 for Schaub.
I would have to agree...although I have read a lot about McCown and the Vikings as well.

PFT jerking my chain again? Leinart would be dreamie! :wub:

It makes sense but, given the talent level of the top 5-6 players, I cannot see New Orleans dropping below the Raiders and or 49'ers. At that spot you leave yourself in a position to... A.) Draft Ferguson, Hawk, Williams(DE) or Davis B.)Trade down once again should you receive another offer that cannot be refused. However, you give yourself security and the right of refusal on that pick, first, and take the second trade under consideration after the fact. The Saints immediately dropping below the 5-7 range would be a mistake, opinion. Talent level in the football players left/available after that 5th or 6th pick is substantial, as compared to the top 5 players. Jets and Raiders make sense. Lions and Vikes would have to pony up with a significant offer, which would be a player/pick combination. If you hold a Top 10 pick, then you stay as close to that in a trade as possible. Rarely, if ever, does a team trade out of the top 10 during an NFL draft. The Saints hold the #2 overall and a pair mixed pair of mid first and late second rounders is not going to get that deal done. I still have two friends working for the Saints scouting department. I am going to lob them a call and see how accurate this rumor is.

But BO, Leinart has no (PRO) arm. Cutler is just like one of my all time favs in Tommy gun Kramer who never had a winning season in college yet he'll go in the first round.

I'd take Culter or Leinart any day.

But BO, Leinart has no (PRO) arm. Cutler is just like one of my all time favs in Tommy gun Kramer who never had a winning season in college yet he'll go in the first round.

Then I'm glad you're not running the Vikings.

But BO, Leinart has no (PRO) arm.  Cutler is just like one of my all time favs in Tommy gun Kramer who never had a winning season in college yet he'll go in the first round.

I love ole TK and his Albatraz (bar - sp??) stories at Mankato, but there is no way Cutler can drink that much, he went to Vanderbilt for crying out loud.

But BO, Leinart has no (PRO) arm.  Cutler is just like one of my all time favs in Tommy gun Kramer who never had a winning season in college yet he'll go in the first round.

I love ole TK and his Albatraz (bar - sp??) stories at Mankato, but there is no way Cutler can drink that much, he went to Vanderbilt for crying out loud.
:lmao:

I live in San Antonio and T. Kramer's drinking exploits are legendary...M. Mantle/B. Martin-esque.

I live in San Antonio and T. Kramer's drinking exploits are legendary...M. Mantle/B. Martin-esque.
Because of Tommy, I learned what a DWI was. :thumbup:

I recall hearing from somebody who knew somebody who was driving to the metrodome (early,early 80s) to see a game and pulled over to pick up a hitchhiker, apparently is was Tommy Kramer drunker than a skunk - trying to get to the game.

I have played golf with the guy more than once. There was a time when I could really throw back Jack Daniels and or beers with the best of them. I have never seen anyone...anywhere...drink like that guy. I'll put it to you this way.

At every hole and or specific holes on the course certain beverages in different quantities were ready for Kramer before he arrived at the tee box. It was just understood. Never seen anything like it.

He easily killed a case of beer and bottle of brown over 18 and still took everyone's money.

I have played golf with the guy more than once. There was a time when I could really throw back Jack Daniels and or beers with the best of them. I have never seen anyone...anywhere...drink like that guy. I'll put it to you this way.

At every hole and or specific holes on the course certain beverages in different quantities were ready for Kramer before he arrived at the tee box. It was just understood. Never seen anything like it.

He easily killed a case of beer and bottle of brown over 18 and still took everyone's money.
It's too bad, really. He was immensely talented and could have been considered great if he'd have adopted something other than "Drunken Boxing" style football.

The legend continues to grow.I remember as a kid (early 80s) asking my dad, "Why does Tommy Kramer have those red marks on his nose?"

God knows what the man looks like now.

I still wouldn't mind to see Minnesota trade a 2nd round pick to Baltimore for Ray Lewis; the middle triangle of Ray-Ray, Kevin W and Pat W would be outstanding.

I also would not mind seeing them package some picks and players together to move up to #2 and draft Lienart.

QUOTE(WhoDat @ Mar 14 2006, 02:37 PM)I have played golf with the guy more than once. There was a time when I could really throw back Jack Daniels and or beers with the best of them. I have never seen anyone...anywhere...drink like that guy. I'll put it to you this way. At every hole and or specific holes on the course certain beverages in different quantities were ready for Kramer before he arrived at the tee box. It was just understood. Never seen anything like it. He easily killed a case of beer and bottle of brown over 18 and still took everyone's money.It's too bad, really. He was immensely talented and could have been considered great if he'd have adopted something other than "Drunken Boxing" style football.
Oh, it is a sad story indeed and I completely agree. There is drinking, which is what 99.9% of the folks would agree that means including your average joe cool frat kid, and there is DRINKING, which is the .1% Kramer falls into. I have never seen anyone drink like that; remain upright; stay in control and continue to function in any manner much less continue to drop putt after putt.The guy has some demons. There is no doubting that.

There is drinking, which is what 99.9% of the folks would agree that means including your average joe cool frat kid, and there is DRINKING, which is the .1% Kramer falls into. I have never seen anyone drink like that; remain upright; stay in control and continue to function in any manner much less continue to drop putt after putt.

The guy has some demons. There is no doubting that.
I think it's called "functional" alcoholism.

There is drinking, which is what 99.9% of the folks would agree that means including your average joe cool frat kid, and there is DRINKING, which is the .1% Kramer falls into.  I have never seen anyone drink like that; remain upright; stay in control and continue to function in any manner much less continue to drop putt after putt.

The guy has some demons.  There is no doubting that.
I think it's called "functional" alcoholism.
Anybody know what his drink of choice was in 1986 because he functionally threw the hell out of the ball that year.

Users who are viewing this thread