What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (1 Viewer)

Don’t see how you fire a manager that won 106 games though. 

I mean he didn’t know Kershaw would suck...
Kershaw was a bit questionable, but Joe Kelly seemed his bigger mistake.  Leaving Kelly out there for a second inning while he had Jansen in the bullpen, even when Kelly started pooping the bed, was an odd decision, to say the least.

As a Phillies fan, I hate the Braves.  Hate them with the fury of a thousand suns.  But even I have to admit, I felt bad for them last night.  I felt like Rocky watching Apollo Creed get pummeled by Drago.  THROW THE TOWEL IN!!!!!  

As a Phillies fan, I hate the Braves.  Hate them with the fury of a thousand suns.  But even I have to admit, I felt bad for them last night.  I felt like Rocky watching Apollo Creed get pummeled by Drago.  THROW THE TOWEL IN!!!!!  
As an Indians fan, I was laughing all night. My day immediately brightened seeing them getting beat like a rented mule.

AVENGE 1995!!!!!

I have zero confidence and they've burned me way too many times in the last 25 years.
I feel your pain, GB.  Burned way too many times to have confidence.  To this day, I still do not watch the game when the Braves are in the field.  I flip back when they're batting.  I do watch sometimes depending on score and who is pitching but that's been my routine for years.  Sad.  

They haven't been the same since Wohlers threw that stupid slow curve to the yankee in 1996 when the braves were up 2 game to none and leading game 3.  One of the best fastballs and sliders in MLB.  Been nothing but losing in the playoffs ever since.  23 years of frustration.  

If the Rays won the AL and faced the Cards in the series would they have home field? Rays won more games but were the wild-card. 

Kershaw was a bit questionable, but Joe Kelly seemed his bigger mistake.  Leaving Kelly out there for a second inning while he had Jansen in the bullpen, even when Kelly started pooping the bed, was an odd decision, to say the least.
Definitely.  Once you get to extra innings, you no longer have save situations for the home team.  Get your best available pitchers in the game.  Jansen has historically been brought into the game in those situations.

They showed his relief numbers. They were pretty good. He also had dine quite well in 6 of his last 7 postseason home starts. Game 2 being the poor start. 1.89 era i believe in the previous 6. 
Cherry picking.  But mainly, Kershaw isn't what he was in his mid 20s, but Roberts keeps riding him like he is.  Yes, he does well sometimes, but it never makes sense to me to take a starting pitcher, one of the three you need to ride throughout to win the series, mess up their schedule, have them prepared differently than they normally do.

His relief appearances may be "ok" but I think they all affect his next performance.  Would have to look back and see.

Don’t see how you fire a manager that won 106 games though. 

I mean he didn’t know Kershaw would suck...
The Chargers fired Marty Schottenheimer after going 14-2, although there were other issues behind the scenes.

Maybe the better example is when the Capitals fired Bruce Boudreau after they won the Presidents Trophy and then lost in the first round.

The Chargers fired Marty Schottenheimer after going 14-2, although there were other issues behind the scenes.

Maybe the better example is when the Capitals fired Bruce Boudreau after they won the Presidents Trophy and then lost in the first round.
The Dodgers are massively talented.  Roberts isn't getting more out of them than another capable manager wouldn't.  But, he doesn't push the right buttons in the post season clearly.  It's painfully obvious to me, at least (obvious caveat that I'm an amateur observer so that's not worth too much).

If the Rays won the AL and faced the Cards in the series would they have home field? Rays won more games but were the wild-card. 
As a Yankees fan, definitely rooting for the Rays. I don’t think I’d could write a better plan to win the WS than the Astros and Dodgers losing. Atlanta never scared me that much.

Reminds a bit of when St. Louis played Boston the year that Boston came back on the Yankees and won in 7. The WS was a sweep and the ALCS was the real battle. I could see St. Louis beating Washington. 

Roberts does not know how to manage in the post season.  His constant tinkering and following a preconceived plan instead of adjusting to game flow and situations leads to losing series.  Astros 2 seasons ago his bullpen usage esp in game 2 lost it.  Leaving his best hitters out of the lineup last year vs Boston because they are lefties was asinine.  This year he was going to send Clayton Manning out after Buehler no matter what.  He should have counted his lucky stars he struck out the first batter and moved on.  Maeda has been lights out (and proved it).  Kelly came in and did his job (should have been 1 inn and done).   

Claim hindsight all you want, but Peyton Kershaw all season has been giving up first inning runs, HRs in particular.  NO surprise he got the first batter via K, then gave up back to back hrs.  Sure in the reg season and 1st inn its ok because theres time to come back.  But in the 7th/8th inning of a win or go home game?  AND had they won, you just used your game 1 starter in the NLCS.  Whats your NLCS rotation? And yes I get the "you have to win first to get there" but thats what the effin relief pitchers are for.  

At this point we can only hope they aspire to be as good as the 90s Braves and can win 1 WS while crushing reg season records.  But for now they aren't even the buffalo bills.

3 straight failures, each worse then the previous.  I think you have to move on from Roberts.

Definitely.  Once you get to extra innings, you no longer have save situations for the home team.  Get your best available pitchers in the game.  Jansen has historically been brought into the game in those situations.

Cherry picking.  But mainly, Kershaw isn't what he was in his mid 20s, but Roberts keeps riding him like he is.  Yes, he does well sometimes, but it never makes sense to me to take a starting pitcher, one of the three you need to ride throughout to win the series, mess up their schedule, have them prepared differently than they normally do.

His relief appearances may be "ok" but I think they all affect his next performance.  Would have to look back and see.
Looking at postseason stats for any player is basically cherry-picking, though. They'd need to have 10+ years in MLB and an inordinate number of postseason appearances to generate a decent sample size to begin with, and any player who does so is not going to be anything like the same player over those 10+ years anyway.  Then you start looking at starter vs reliever, home vs road, etc. and it's just a jumbled mess of conflicting info. IMO the most important data by far was the fact that he'd struck out the difficult-to-strike-out Adam Eaton on three pitches 15 minutes earlier to get his team out of a jam in the 7th. He looked like a world-beater.

I do think Roberts still should have gone batter by batter for the 8th, using a righty for Rendon and then Kolarek for Soto. Those were clearly the two biggest remaining outs and the best time to empty the chamber. But it wasn't an indefensible decision.  Roberts made more than one decision last night worse than trusting Kershaw there.

Alsdo the pitch to Rendon was a good one too- a breaking ball down and out of the zone. An MVP-caliber hitter just went down and pulled it into the first row. That was a "just gotta tip your hat" moment. The pitch to Soto was bad and Kolarek definitely should've been in the game once Rendon made in a one-run game, but :shrug:

Kapler gone.  
Don't understand why it took this long.  He needed to go.  And as bad as I thought he was, I hated his base coaches more.  I love the Astros 3rd base coach because his philosophy is "Even if the throw will beat the runner, he's still got to throw a strike."  So he's very aggressive sending people.  Some get thrown out, but that's fine.  More guys score than not.  Then I watch the Phillies and they're holding runners on third down by one when no one can hit the ball.  So frustrating.  Take a chance.  Make the outfielder make a play.  

What's going to be the crowd allegiance if TB wins tonight between Rays and Yankees. I'd imagine there are more Yankee fans in TB than Rays fans.

I actually like Davy Roberts as a mgr but boy does he make some stinky decisions. It was bold to bring in Joe Kelly in the 9th after his previous outing, but i could tell by the first pitch (which, as a Red Sox fan, i can always do on Kelly) that he was going to have a crackerjack inning. But, when i realized he might get brought back for the 10th, i just groaned and tried to talk me 95yo Ma (who LOVES her goofy li'l Joey) into switching to a Blue Bloods or sumn cuz i knew it was gonna be a bloodbath....

What's going to be the crowd allegiance if TB wins tonight between Rays and Yankees. I'd imagine there are more Yankee fans in TB than Rays fans.
there are plenty of Yankee fans here but nowhere near more than Rays fans. The Rays TV ratings are really good. It’s hard to get people to that barn. 

It’s usually 50/50 when they play a snooze fest in may. I think it’ll be 60/40 Rays. When they played the Red Sox in 08 and 13 it was 75/25 Rays. 

Last edited by a moderator:

What do you think postseason stats are to begin with? 

Kershaw had a really good year. He still had a quality start in the first game he pitched in this series. 

As far as riding him like he is still in his 20's, I know you aren't advocating that kershaw shouldn't be one of the starting pitchers in the playoffs and literally the only example we have of Roberts riding him in relief that didn't work out, just happened.

Looking at postseason stats for any player is basically cherry-picking, though. They'd need to have 10+ years in MLB and an inordinate number of postseason appearances to generate a decent sample size to begin with, and any player who does so is not going to be anything like the same player over those 10+ years anyway.  Then you start looking at starter vs reliever, home vs road, etc. and it's just a jumbled mess of conflicting info. IMO the most important data by far was the fact that he'd struck out the difficult-to-strike-out Adam Eaton on three pitches 15 minutes earlier to get his team out of a jam in the 7th. He looked like a world-beater.

I do think Roberts still should have gone batter by batter for the 8th, using a righty for Rendon and then Kolarek for Soto. Those were clearly the two biggest remaining outs and the best time to empty the chamber. But it wasn't an indefensible decision.  Roberts made more than one decision last night worse than trusting Kershaw there.

Alsdo the pitch to Rendon was a good one too- a breaking ball down and out of the zone. An MVP-caliber hitter just went down and pulled it into the first row. That was a "just gotta tip your hat" moment. The pitch to Soto was bad and Kolarek definitely should've been in the game once Rendon made in a one-run game, but :shrug:
I don't disagree, but I'm also not looking at any particular stat in the post season in Kershaw's history.  But, there is nothing in his post season history that over a period of time show's that Kershaw is the guy you want to be your salvation.  My original critique was that someone as analytics based as the Dodgers should be smarter than to rely on Kershaw in extended post season use based on his historical post season data in total (under .500, career post season ERA `2 runs higher than career average, and that includes numbers from his prime).

Barry McCockiner‏ @SexyTroopLover 11 hours ago

Clayton Kershaw is absolutely inconsolable at his locker right now. Just bursting with tears and yelling, "I F*CKING BLEW IT!! I'M A CHOKER!!". Several teammates are trying to calm him down. Just awful.
Dodgers manager Dave Roberts just went up to Kershaw and said, "let it out Clayton, let it out, it's my fault too". Kershaw is now weeping into Roberts' chest and sobbing uncontrollably. Ugh, hate to see this.
Roberts is now breastfeeding Kershaw to help calm him down. "That's good Clayton, just give it a little suck. Oh yeah". Tremendous leadership by Roberts in a trying time.
Kershaw is now mumbling, "me like nipple sucky". Roberts then calmly removed Kershaw's mouth from his teet. "Go on young one", Roberts cooed, "be free with nature". Unreal moment. This is why we love baseball.

there are plenty of Yankee fans here but nowhere near more than Rays fans. The Rays TV ratings are really good. It’s hard to get people to that barn. 

It’s usually 50/50 when they play a snooze fest in may. I think it’ll be 60/40 Rays. When they played the Red Sox in 08 and 13 it was 75/25 Rays. 
Thanks - was curious since TB was home to the Yanks training camp pre-Rays for such a long time. In Denver there were lots of old school Yankee fans because the Denver Bears were the Yankee AAA farm team in late 50's early 60's - in the games that the Rockies played the Yankees you had the typical NY transplants + the local Denver fans that made it like a home game for the Yankees.

Thanks - was curious since TB was home to the Yanks training camp pre-Rays for such a long time. In Denver there were lots of old school Yankee fans because the Denver Bears were the Yankee AAA farm team in late 50's early 60's - in the games that the Rockies played the Yankees you had the typical NY transplants + the local Denver fans that made it like a home game for the Yankees.
Definitely a ton of Yanks fans here for that reason and also they all ####ing move here to die. 

I don't disagree, but I'm also not looking at any particular stat in the post season in Kershaw's history.  But, there is nothing in his post season history that over a period of time show's that Kershaw is the guy you want to be your salvation.  My original critique was that someone as analytics based as the Dodgers should be smarter than to rely on Kershaw in extended post season use based on his historical post season data in total (under .500, career post season ERA `2 runs higher than career average, and that includes numbers from his prime).
I don't think an analytical team is going to be looking at his postseason W/L record and ERA. But whatever info they may have had at their disposal, the most important data by far at that juncture for any reasonable personwas him demolishing Adam Eaton on three pitches with two men on base to end the 7th a couple minutes earlier. What he did against, say, the Cardinals in the 2013 postseason isn't gonna carry a lot of relative weight compared to that data point.

Personally I would have gone with May for Rendon, Kolarek for Soto and Maeda from that point forward. But I at least understand the logic.  The logic behind sending out Kelly for a second inning with May, Kolarek, Jansen and Ryu still sitting in the pen ... that I do not understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kershaw did not perform last night but I would put the blame more on Roberts.  Kershaw has historically not been a prime time playoff pitcher.  Plus even thought he can still be effective he is not even the Kershaw of 4-5 years ago.   A starter can give up 1-2-3 runs early like Strasberg did yesterday and settle down and still have a good start. In the 8th inning that will cost you the game.  LA had the whole bullpen available and could have used matchups, guys who had done it all year.   These types of decision cost people their jobs and might cost Roberts his.

Kershaw did not perform last night but I would put the blame more on Roberts.  Kershaw has historically not been a prime time playoff pitcher.  Plus even thought he can still be effective he is not even the Kershaw of 4-5 years ago.   A starter can give up 1-2-3 runs early like Strasberg did yesterday and settle down and still have a good start. In the 8th inning that will cost you the game.  LA had the whole bullpen available and could have used matchups, guys who had done it all year.   These types of decision cost people their jobs and might cost Roberts his.
I know Roberts has done well with this team, but from an outsider looking in, I never understood him and pitchers.  I mean, I'm not sure how Rich Hill didn't punch him in the face a couple of times.  

"Well, he's pitched a good 4 innings and hasn't given up a walk or a couple hits.  Guess I should take him out."  Poor Rich Hill. :no:

I agree with this assessment.  He had a pile of options.  2 run lead going into the 8th with Rendon and Soto due up.  If you're not going to use Jansen there, then why bother?  They kind of announced the formula was Kershaw to Jansen, but why and why not in the 8th?  Managers manage to inning, not game situation IMO.  Use your best reliever against their best hitters seems logical to me.  Kershaw got a lefty out.  You still had 2 more lefties, including a guy who got Soto out 3x in the series if something blew up.  Instead, Roberts uses a lesser Kershaw to give it up again and winds up not using Jansen with a lead or the game on the line. 

I don't think an analytical team is going to be looking at his postseason W/L record and ERA. But whatever info they may have had at their disposal, the most important data by far at that juncture for any reasonable personwas him demolishing Adam Eaton on three pitches with two men on base to end the 7th a couple minutes earlier. What he did against, say, the Cardinals in the 2013 postseason isn't gonna carry a lot of relative weight compared to that data point.
The mistake was made by putting Kershaw in, not when to take him out.  I'm advocating for the Dodgers to not use him as a reliever in the post season at all.

You can think and hold whatever opinion you want, not saying you can't, but I'm not going to change my opinion that the Dodgers are wrong for relying so much on analytics, then making a non analytical decision when it matters.

I agree that I do not put the blame on Kershaw, but blame Roberts for the decision.

I really don’t feel Kershaw is worth anywhere near what they’re paying him. Past his prime and velocity down kind of low. 

It's pretty funny that a Nats fan is the one defending Kershaw, but ... you guys saw the Eaton AB with two men on base in the 7th, right?  Eaton has a 16.2% K rate on the season, good for 16th lowest in the NL, and Kershaw made him look like my 5 year old when he asks me to throw him "real" pitches instead of underhand soft tosses.  After watching that I would have had a hard time pulling him for the 8th too.

And the Rendon HR was a golf shot on a ball below the zone with movement. It's not like he served up a BP fastball middle-middle.  He saved that one for Soto :devil:

It's pretty funny that a Nats fan is the one defending Kershaw, but ... you guys saw the Eaton AB with two men on base in the 7th, right?  Eaton has a 16.2% K rate on the season, good for 16th lowest in the NL, and Kershaw made him look like my 5 year old when he asks me to throw him "real" pitches instead of underhand soft tosses.  After watching that I would have had a hard time pulling him for the 8th too.

And the Rendon HR was a golf shot on a ball below the zone with movement. It's not like he served up a BP fastball middle-middle.  He saved that one for Soto :devil:
Kershaw faced three batters.  1 K and 2 hrs.  Watching all season this was not an isolated event.  He has often had terrible first innings this season, often an out then giving up HRs.  His hitters picked him up as the game wore on.  Once he struck out Eaton his night should have been done with Roberts counting his lucky stars. esp with the pitchers avail in the pen.  With a day off either way, unload the pen and win the game.  

Yes Rendon hit a good pitch and Soto got a gift.  But no way Kersh should have been in there, no matter how he made Eaton look. And as usual, Roberts then steps into the quicksand, leaves Kelly in too long and gets the loss.

Dave Roberts does not know how to manage a payoff series.

Kershaw faced three batters.  1 K and 2 hrs.  Watching all season this was not an isolated event.  He has often had terrible first innings this season, often an out then giving up HRs.  His hitters picked him up as the game wore on.  Once he struck out Eaton his night should have been done with Roberts counting his lucky stars. esp with the pitchers avail in the pen.  With a day off either way, unload the pen and win the game.  

Yes Rendon hit a good pitch and Soto got a gift.  But no way Kersh should have been in there, no matter how he made Eaton look. And as usual, Roberts then steps into the quicksand, leaves Kelly in too long and gets the loss.

Dave Roberts does not know how to manage a payoff series.
I agree with the bolded. Just saying I understand the thinking, and don't consider it an egregious error.  Sending Kelly out for the 10th was an egregious error.

I agree with the bolded. Just saying I understand the thinking, and don't consider it an egregious error.  Sending Kelly out for the 10th was an egregious error.
Agree on Kelly.  I do think Kersh for the 8th was an egregious error.....

It's probably not an egregious error, but the table was set for failure IMO. 
....But may concede that this could be more accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread