What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022: Which NFL franchise is currently the most dysfunctional? (1 Viewer)

Which NFL Team gets your vote as the #4 dysfunctional organization?

• Houston Texans

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • New York Jets

Votes: 24 9.0%
  • Washington Commanders

Votes: 53 19.9%
  • Detroit Lions

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Jacksonville Jaguars

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 13 4.9%
  • New York Giants

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Chicago Bears

Votes: 38 14.2%
  • Dallas Cowboys

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Cleveland Browns

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • Other Team (please post which team)

Votes: 14 5.2%

• Total voters
I'd say Browns for trading for Watson and it being the Browns but just when you think WAS can't go any lower they manage too go above and beyond and go even lower than the last time. I feel sorry for the fanbase but also the NFC EAST is way more fun when all 4 teams are rolling and duking it out each year.

Arizona not even a contender in this pole?

5-13 in their last 18 games
1-11 in their last 12 home games

and they extended the GM & HC through 2027 in the offseason
and they extended the QB through 2028 in TC

It's Washington. This "statue" is another example.
It's not even that it's more a manakin than a statue. The optics of the area they put it in. Pipes hanging low from the ceiling. Cinder block walls. It looks like a sub basement even though it's the main concourse at FedEx field. That place is easily the worst stadium in the league.

Broncos general manager George Paton said everyone in the organization is being evaluated in the final two weeks of the regular season.​

In a Tuesday presser, Paton called the Broncos' Christmas Day meltdown against the Rams "unacceptable" and "embarrassing." Russell Wilson and the offense continued to struggle and players fought on the sideline yet again. The team was left with no choice but to fire head coach Nathaniel Hackett and replace him with the guy who does clock management on game days. Paton said the next Broncos head coach -- if the team can find someone who will take the job -- will not report to the GM, but to ownership. It's a disastrous chain of command that will likely ensure the Broncos are among the league's worst teams for the foreseeable future. There's no guarantee Paton, who signed off on the worst trade in NFL history -- bringing Wilson to Denver -- will make it to 2023. His Tuesday press conference, during which he asked for patience from Denver fans, implied as much.
SOURCE: Andrew Mason on Twitter
Dec 27, 2022, 12:07 PM ET

Broncos general manager George Paton said the team would consult Condoleezza Rice in its search for a new head coach.​

In a cringe-worthy Tuesday press conference, Paton said everyone in the Broncos organization would be evaluated in the season's final two weeks. Rice would help guide the team's search for a new head coach after Denver dismissed Nathaniel Hackett on Monday, following the team's blowout loss to the Rams, of all teams.
SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter
Dec 27, 2022, 12:27 PM ET

With the Washington Commanders being sold today, I would now anoint the Arizona Cardinals as the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.

Also in the running: Houston Texans, Chicago Bears, and Cleveland Browns. Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are worth a watch as well. Ownership of the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins keep them on the long list too.

With the Washington Commanders being sold today, I would now anoint the Arizona Cardinals as the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.

Also in the running: Houston Texans, Chicago Bears, and Cleveland Browns. Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are worth a watch as well. Ownership of the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins keep them on the long list too.
Tampa won the Super Bowl just 3 seasons ago and they have 2 in the last 20 years. Why would they be on your list?

Tampa won the Super Bowl just 3 seasons ago and they have 2 in the last 20 years. Why would they be on your list?
Projecting forward (thread does ask "currently" so I'm not as concerned with what happened two years ago vs what things will look like two years from now).

It's fair to ask how much of the recent success of the Bucs was primarily due to Tom Brady and the culture of the team while he was aboard. Yes, the organization had some solid drafts, but behind the scenes they seemed to be in transition a lot. Many of those shiny talents are now aging out and the quality of the roster appears to be going the wrong way. Also, have to question ownership's willingness to continue to push for wins after paying out so much money in the Brady Era. Worth a watch IMO. 🤷‍♂️

Projecting forward (thread does ask "currently" so I'm not as concerned with what happened two years ago vs what things will look like two years from now).

It's fair to ask how much of the recent success of the Bucs was primarily due to Tom Brady and the culture of the team while he was aboard. Yes, the organization had some solid drafts, but behind the scenes they seemed to be in transition a lot. Many of those shiny talents are now aging out and the quality of the roster appears to be going the wrong way. Also, have to question ownership's willingness to continue to push for wins after paying out so much money in the Brady Era. Worth a watch IMO. 🤷‍♂️
Interesting. I guess I took it personally. But, I don't see how you can call a franchise dysfunctional when they just won the Super Bowl two years ago. All franchises go through ups and downs.

Josh Harris isn't some management genius. Look at the Sixers. Let's see how the commies do for the next few years before they give up their title.

I think it might be Denver. Coach that looks like one of the all time worst hires and what's looking like a monumental blunder of a trade for Wilson.

Yeah, how in the world is Denver not an option for this poll?

Never got an answer here but starting 0-2 with home losses to Washington and Las Vegas I'll ask again - How in the world was Denver not an option for this poll?

I think it might be Denver. Coach that looks like one of the all time worst hires and what's looking like a monumental blunder of a trade for Wilson.

Never got an answer here but starting 0-2 with home losses to Washington and Las Vegas I'll ask again - How in the world was Denver not an option for this poll?
They've lost two games by a grand total of 3 points. It's a slow start in a new regime, but how is that "dysfunctional?"

Last edited:

They've lost two games by a grand total of 3 points. It's a slow start in a new regime, but how is that "dysfunctional?"

first team to ever start 0-2 with a point differential of 3

(and no, so far no has started 0-2 with -2 differential)

Bears making some strong moves in this lately…

honestly it belongs in museum

between Fields magical disaster tour, somehow constructing a roster weak at both OL and DL, and the worst Bears defense in their 103 year history....pretty pretty pretty special

my main question is who has the more mystifying vision of what they want to be, GM Ryan Poles or OC Luke Getsy?

Eberflus giving CEO style head coaches a bad name

I'm trying to figure out something to close this with which is encouraging, positive and hopeful....

...I got nothing

They were also just purchased by the wealthiest owner now in the league and hired, presumably still one of the best coaches.

Impatient much?

Broncos general manager George Paton said everyone in the organization is being evaluated in the final two weeks of the regular season.​

In a Tuesday presser, Paton called the Broncos' Christmas Day meltdown against the Rams "unacceptable" and "embarrassing." Russell Wilson and the offense continued to struggle and players fought on the sideline yet again. The team was left with no choice but to fire head coach Nathaniel Hackett and replace him with the guy who does clock management on game days. Paton said the next Broncos head coach -- if the team can find someone who will take the job -- will not report to the GM, but to ownership. It's a disastrous chain of command that will likely ensure the Broncos are among the league's worst teams for the foreseeable future. There's no guarantee Paton, who signed off on the worst trade in NFL history -- bringing Wilson to Denver -- will make it to 2023. His Tuesday press conference, during which he asked for patience from Denver fans, implied as much.
SOURCE: Andrew Mason on Twitter
Dec 27, 2022, 12:07 PM ET

Broncos general manager George Paton said the team would consult Condoleezza Rice in its search for a new head coach.​

In a cringe-worthy Tuesday press conference, Paton said everyone in the Broncos organization would be evaluated in the season's final two weeks. Rice would help guide the team's search for a new head coach after Denver dismissed Nathaniel Hackett on Monday, following the team's blowout loss to the Rams, of all teams.
SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter
Dec 27, 2022, 12:27 PM ET

Two losses at home to teams that have been in the cellar forever. Two losses at home that were really the cause of self destruction. And please, that surgical hail Mary at the end of the game is skewing your argument. Bat that down and the margin is 9.

They are on their 4th head coach since Kubiak left in 2016. Included in that mix is a coach that was so over his head he was laughed out of town before his first season was over. Dysfunction. Their new coach made fun of the last coach, publicly only now he's not cracking jokes anymore after going down 0-2.

Do you need me to bring up the Russell Wilson trade, the money they guaranteed him and how awful this has turned out to be? Because I could write a book on how ruinous this has been to their franchise. Dysfunction.

They brought back former head coach Vance Joseph to run their defense. How's that working out? Because if they can't beat the suck asssss Raiders and ho-hum Commies (at home!) how are they going to fare against KC and LAC?

Good find on Marvin Mimms I guess.

They were also just purchased by the wealthiest owner now in the league and hired, presumably still one of the best coaches.

Impatient much?

I asked the question last year when this thread was started and Payton wasn't their coach. So......

Impatient much?

I asked the question last year when this thread was started and Payton wasn't their coach. So......
So...things have gotten better since then?

Mega rich owner, great HC etc.

The Broncos and Patriots the only two teams who are 0-2 and both losses were at home.

Boy that's gotta be deflating.

Still neither comes anywhere near the despair in Chicago rn. Bad GM, OC, and a CEO style HC who doesn't like to be in the weeds, leaves the details to others.

Impatient much?

All the owners are mega rich. Having more money than Jerry Jones or Arthur Blank doesn't help in any way, shape or form. Just go ask, well, Jerry Jones. Salary cap is the great equalizer in the NFL. This isn't baseball and by all accounts, this mega rich owner cares about football about as much as my wife does.

Payton had success, yes. He has won a Super Bowl, yes. George Siefert won two, how are we measuring Payton's greatness? Regular season success? Getting the most out of Drew Brees?

Denver has to go to Miami this week, I'm not liking their chances. Good news is they have Chicago and the Jets after that. Bad news is they have KC, Green Bay, KC and Buffalo. Yikes.

The Broncos and Patriots the only two teams who are 0-2 and both losses were at home.

Boy that's gotta be deflating.

Still neither comes anywhere near the despair in Chicago rn. Bad GM, OC, and a CEO style HC who doesn't like to be in the weeds, leaves the details to others.

Chicago is a mess, no doubt. I just think Denver belongs in the "Also receiving votes" tier.

Impatient much?

All the owners are mega rich. Having more money than Jerry Jones or Arthur Blank doesn't help in any way, shape or form. Just go ask, well, Jerry Jones. Salary cap is the great equalizer in the NFL. This isn't baseball and by all accounts, this mega rich owner cares about football about as much as my wife does.

Payton had success, yes. He has won a Super Bowl, yes. George Siefert won two, how are we measuring Payton's greatness? Regular season success? Getting the most out of Drew Brees?

Denver has to go to Miami this week, I'm not liking their chances. Good news is they have Chicago and the Jets after that. Bad news is they have KC, Green Bay, KC and Buffalo. Yikes.
This is a thread about most dysfunctional franchises, take your billions and your fancy new coach and take it to the My Team Isn't Very Good This Year thread.

Impatient much?

This is a thread about most dysfunctional franchises, take your billions and your fancy new coach and take it to the My Team Isn't Very Good This Year thread.

Denver hasn't been good in many years. That's the point. And they are doing it through dysfunction.

Impatient much?

Denver hasn't been good in many years. That's the point. And they are doing it through dysfunction.
They won a Super Bowl eight years ago.

Must suck rooting for a franchise where that seems like a long time.

Impatient much?

They won a Super Bowl eight years ago.

Must suck rooting for a franchise where that seems like a long time.

The Giants won 2 Superbowls in the last 15 years. They made the poll. They've also been to the playoffs more recently than Denver.

Impatient much?

Broncos are impatient. They are flailing around in their decision making throwing stuff against the wall. The "positives" you mention are a symptom.
Mega rich owner wants to win now even though the roster is in shambles and they have no draft picks.

Sweet, what do they do? Trade a 1st and a 2nd for a freaking head coach? You've got to be kidding.

BTW, Panthers also belong in this conversation for their lack of patience.
Now, I'm still bitter that they didn't take Howell, but we can forgive, every team passed on him 4 times. But following that horrible gaffe......with possibly the best QB class in 40 years coming out in 2024, they give up the farm to move up to #1 in 2023.

We'll give Bryce Young some time, but the impatience will likely cost them dearly.

"Win now" sounds so great, but as we are seeing with the Broncos and Panthers, it just means short-term thinking.

Last edited:
Speaking of rich impatient owners being a problem that needs to be managed, not a solution.

Remember, if the Dolphins owner had his way, last year he'd have brought in a washed up Brady and Sean Payton. Luckily for the Dolphins, the League saved him from himself, and he ended up with Mikey McD.

Indy only three votes, but they gotta be at the top if there was a brand new poll, right?

you really haven't been paying attention to the Bears?

OK, no one does, that's not a fair Q.

think of it as the reverse Howie. Brizaro Roseman. future proof the roster by continually drafting and developing great DL prospects? naw, they went with the no name front; that way they don't have to compete with each other for sacks. remember that painful Y2 when Hurts was a bit painful bc the focus was on developing him as a passer? better than Y1 but man it was so inconsistent, then he made the incredible leap in Y3 to elite accuracy. sort of the same thing in the Windy City except they abandoned the plan after 6 games last year and developed an elite running back who lines up in the shotgun. didn't result in a Y3 leap, we're back on the "let's call 2 designed runs for our running QB per game and see ho wthat works out." stay tuned, he might become an elite running back again when they realize a year has passed since they last one a game. the Eagles have strength upon strength everywhere (yeah lil' shaky on the back end but it'll come around IMO.) the Bears have chose to construct a roster which has no strong positional groups, with a particular emphasis on an inept OL (stark contrast to the Iggles Top 2 unit.)

it's a lotta words but the tl;dr is you really should take a closer work bc years from now it will be a case study for young GMs on how to not go about your business.

Broncos with the Waltons look pretty awful right now. No long-term plans, barely any draft picks, and overall probably cap hell to come.

Mark Davis seems like a nice guy but his team is generally a laughing stock.

Jets seem to have somewhat of a plan, good drafting, but their QB situation is so bad now unfortunately.

I think the Cardinals are a joke too- what is their plan?

"Win now" sounds so great, but as we are seeing with the Broncos and Panthers, it just means short-term thinking.

J-E-T-S fans with the thousand yard stare of PTSD nod vacantly.....
Yeah, didn't like the Rodgers move even before he got hurt.

Didn't bring up the Jets and Browns because we give them a pass for short-term thinking. That's just what desperate franchises do.

Broncos aren't the worst organization, but for the last 24 months they've been acting like they are trying to get there.

Indy only three votes, but they gotta be at the top if there was a brand new poll, right?

you really haven't been paying attention to the Bears?

OK, no one does, that's not a fair Q.

think of it as the reverse Howie. Brizaro Roseman. future proof the roster by continually drafting and developing great DL prospects? naw, they went with the no name front; that way they don't have to compete with each other for sacks. remember that painful Y2 when Hurts was a bit painful bc the focus was on developing him as a passer? better than Y1 but man it was so inconsistent, then he made the incredible leap in Y3 to elite accuracy. sort of the same thing in the Windy City except they abandoned the plan after 6 games last year and developed an elite running back who lines up in the shotgun. didn't result in a Y3 leap, we're back on the "let's call 2 designed runs for our running QB per game and see ho wthat works out." stay tuned, he might become an elite running back again when they realize a year has passed since they last one a game. the Eagles have strength upon strength everywhere (yeah lil' shaky on the back end but it'll come around IMO.) the Bears have chose to construct a roster which has no strong positional groups, with a particular emphasis on an inept OL (stark contrast to the Iggles Top 2 unit.)

it's a lotta words but the tl;dr is you really should take a closer work bc years from now it will be a case study for young GMs on how to not go about your business.
As a Bears fan, it’s truly painful to watch.

As a Lions fan, I know what a bad GM looks like!

I actually like Eberflus. Good DC and with Indy he accomplished a lot with average talent. But he needs to stop being so hands off. The details are everything and his OC is going to get him fired. He’s very personable and I think he’s a good leader of men, but I can’t say he’s a good HC bc he picked that staff.

As a Lions fan, I know what a bad GM looks like!

I actually like Eberflus. Good DC and with Indy he accomplished a lot with average talent. But he needs to stop being so hands off. The details are everything and his OC is going to get him fired. He’s very personable and I think he’s a good leader of men, but I can’t say he’s a good HC bc he picked that staff.
Yes, not currently looking like head coach material. Lots of great coordinators don’t make good head coaches.

Users who are viewing this thread