What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 FBG Subscriber Contest (3 Viewers)

Isaiah Hodgins, WR NYG.

Taking any NYG WR was incredibly dumb, but taking him was just...ugh. Took him over Nacua, Dell, just...ugh.
Based on the way he finished last year and how Jones was looking this had reasoning behind picking him. Looking in hindsight is bad but at the time Hodgins wasn't a bad process.
This sounds like a pep talk my Mom would give me whenever I screwed up as a kid.

What was your dumbest roster selection? Not the player who just didn’t pan out like a Jahan Dotson or Tony Pollard. But a player there was no justifiable reason to select?

I get what I was thinking, but that $3 spent on Marcus Mariota has not worked out well. (A few weeks ago I noticed him and had to actually google which team he was even on.)

Isaiah Hodgins, WR NYG.

Taking any NYG WR was incredibly dumb, but taking him was just...ugh. Took him over Nacua, Dell, just...ugh.
Based on the way he finished last year and how Jones was looking this had reasoning behind picking him. Looking in hindsight is bad but at the time Hodgins wasn't a bad process.
This sounds like a pep talk my Mom would give me whenever I screwed up as a kid.
glad I could help

What was your dumbest roster selection? Not the player who just didn’t pan out like a Jahan Dotson or Tony Pollard. But a player there was no justifiable reason to select?

Mine is a cheap one but absolutely zero idea what I was thinking:

Mack Hollins $4 Falcons: 4th or 5th receiving option on a run first offense.
I'm not gonna give you my dumbest pick, but instead the one I didn't pick.

Mostert

I allowed everyone to convince me he was too old to still be a viable RB. If he was on my roster, I would probably have a legit shot at the finals.

I'm not gonna give you my dumbest pick, but instead the one I didn't pick.

Mostert

I allowed everyone to convince me he was too old to still be a viable RB. If he was on my roster, I would probably have a legit shot at the finals.
Answer:
Van Jefferson ❗ without a doubt. I wasted a precious $8 in cap money on a box of donuts. 🍩🍩🍩
I thought with all the secrecy in the pre-season about Cooper Kupp and his injury situation, Van Jefferson would likely be the recipient of plenty of targets if Kupp was out for a while. I even remember thinking my suspicions were confirmed when they finally came clean on the seriousness of Kupp's injury. But I never expected Puka Nacua to emerge and suck up the majority of hte targets and fantasy points. Van Jefferson was not even the top 4 in the pecking order. This pick was a total miss!

and Parris Campbell as first runner up. Wasted $4 on a WR in an offense that could not complete a pass against a pop warner team.

I think I'm locked in finally

Your team has been successfully entered .

QB - Anthony Richardson - IND/11 - $15
QB - Jordan Love - GB/6 - $9
QB - Sam Howell - WAS/14 - $8
RB - Nick Chubb - CLE/5 - $30
RB - James Cook - BUF/13 - $18
RB - Alvin Kamara - NO/11 - $15
RB - Jaylen Warren - PIT/6 - $11
RB - Tank Bigsby - JAX/9 - $9
RB - Ty Chandler - MIN/13 - $3
WR - Calvin Ridley - JAX/9 - $21
WR - Jahan Dotson - WAS/14 - $14
WR - Zay Flowers - BAL/13 - $10
WR - Jayden Reed - GB/6 - $7
WR - Alec Pierce - IND/11 - $7
WR - Parris Campbell - NYG/13 - $4
WR - Tank Dell - HOU/7 - $3
WR - Puka Nacua - LAR/10 - $3
WR - Michael Wilson - ARI/14 - $3
TE - Darren Waller - NYG/13 - $17
TE - Dalton Kincaid - BUF/13 - $10
TE - Luke Musgrave - GB/6 - $6
TE - Jake Ferguson - DAL/7 - $6
PK - Cameron Dicker - LAC/5 - $4
PK - Brett Maher - LAR/10 - $3
PK - Ka'imi Fairbairn - HOU/7 - $3
TD - Washington Commanders - WAS/14 - $4
TD - Seattle Seahawks - SEA/5 - $4
TD - Atlanta Falcons - ATL/11 - $3
Total value: 250
I can't believe this team is still alive.

I guess it's a testament to the sizeable advantage you get from going with a larger roster, a couple of those low cost darts hit and they can carry you through a whole lot.

Might explain the high survival rate of the parasite Michael Wilson. People throwing multiple $3 WR darts missed on him but hit on Puka and Tank.

Isaiah Hodgins, WR NYG.

Ha, I'm right there with you... although I did at least pick up Nacua as well. But hey, if you've got to make a bad selection, at least make it only cost you $6, yeah?

Close Calls: It's all about George Santos this week, with I believe 7 teams advancing courtesy of his 4th FG with 10 seconds left on MNF. Rooster 108727 cut it the closest, a mere 0.35 points beyond the cut lion's grasp. I too survived courtesy of Santos, however his 3rd FG (the 55-yarder) was just enough to get me above the line.

Heartbreakers: Rooster 103014 was another Santos owner but who came up 0.85 short in the end. Rooster 106534 needed an additional 11 yards from Mattison and had a shot at it on the final crazy lateral play of MNF.

Faceplants: As jdk noted on Icarus Award, Rooster 108812 (BALLBREAKERS) had the biggest fall, and they'd even been on an exceptionally strong tear the past 4 weeks, averaging over 196. There were 4 other teams who had averaged over 187 points the past 4 weeks who must have been feeling good coming into week 12, but it all just fell apart on them. And Rooster 101843 had the biggest drop in performance, having averaged over 180 the past 4 weeks, then turning in the lowest contest score of all living teams (114.6) to get eliminated in week 12.

Luck Ran Out: Rooster 103215 finally had their remarkable run (6 weeks that they have survived the cut lion by 4.3 points or less) come to a close. Rooster 103912 and their 14.4 average clearance were also eliminated.

Playing With Fire: Rooster 104569 (KikoNation) now holds the smallest average weekly clearance with 16.5. And Rooster 105988 (GothamEvilEmpire) has the lowest "max score" of any surviving team, having never broken past the 167.75 they posted way back in week 2.

Most Improved: Rooster 105949 only cleared 175 points once the first 8 weeks, but has now done so 4 weeks in a row. Previous most improved Rooster 103725 survived but by a mere 4.8 this week, and Rooster 109158 had a decent showing of 179 points after reverting back in week 11 and making the cut by a mere 0.7.

Some expectedly strong survivors:
$34 Christian McCaffrey - 28.4 points, 91 of 102 survived (89%)
$25 Jalen Hurts - 45.5 points, 62 of 63 survived (98%)
$25 Josh Allen - 48.05 points, 40 of 42 survived (95%)
$4 Kyren Williams - 35.4 points, 53 of 54 survived (98%)

Some unexpectedly strong survivors:
$21 Cam Akers - 0 points, 10 of 11 survived (91%)
$20 James Conner - 5.2 points, 11 of 12 survived (92%)
$11 Quentin Johnson - 1.7 points, 13 of 15 survived (87%)
$8 Clyde Edwards-Helaire - 0.5 points, 7 of 7 survived (100%)
$6 Keaontay Ingram - 0 points, 16 of 18 survived (89%)

Low survival, relatively widely owned (70+ to start the week):
$30 Nick Chubb - 0 points, 38 of 76 survived (50%)
$21 Dameon Pierce - 2.3 points, 53 of 90 survived (59%)
$21 Justin Herbert - 20.55 points, 58 of 98 survived (59%)
$6 Brock Purdy - 15.55 points, 42 of 76 survived (55%)

LaPorta remains the most widely owned post-bye player, followed by Mostert, Dicker, Kamara, and Jaylen Warren.

Most widely owned with week 13 bye are Flowers, Waller, Kincaid, Cook, and K Herbert.

Most widely owned with week 14 bye are Howell and Dotson, then a big dropoff to WAS D, Michael Wilson, Brian Robinson Jr., and... Michael Badgley.

Personally, my "least widely owned" players now are Austin Ekeler (9 remaining) and Ja'Marr Chase (13 remaining).

Last edited:

Isaiah Hodgins, WR NYG.

Ha, I'm right there with you... although I did at least pick up Nacua as well. But hey, if you've got to make a bad selection, at least make it only cost you $6, yeah?
Yeah, can't complain too much. I'm still alive going into Week 13, which is the furthest I've ever made it.

Week 13 Dead Money
Injured/Benched/Low-Scorers/Bye​
+ Mostly Dead​
+ Monitoring​
<=$40​
19%​
7%​
4%​
$41-$60​
33%​
20%​
14%​
$61-$80​
32%​
36%​
32%​
$81-$100​
12%​
24%​
27%​
$101-$120​
4%​
11%​
19%​
>$120​
1%​
3%​
5%​

Notable status changes: Zack Moss and Kyren Williams back to "Active", and I downgraded Zeke to "Mostly Dead" (only broken 8 points once in past 4 games, and double-digits only once all season.

Monitoring
Chris Olave
Amari Cooper
Rashid Shaheed
Kenneth Walker III
De'Von Achane
Dallas Goedert
Joshua Palmer
Aaron Jones
D'Onta Foreman
Tee Higgins

Feeling decent about my week 13 chances with only $38 in all categories, it's at least a good place to start (93% of teams have more dead-ish money than me even if all the "monitoring" guys play), though I'm jealous of the 137 teams (27%) with $3 superstar Tank Dell contributing to their weekly score.

If I make it through to playoffs, I don't think my team has a winning shot though unless the Herbert/Ekeler connection gets ignited, Browning is good enough to let Chase shine, and I get some more TE help from Waller and/or Musgrave returning (I'm down to Herd Ferguson for now, who is slightly more owned than Dell with 147).

Last edited:

Uncharacteristically, I spent almost no time on my roster this year (and of course I've now lasted longer than I ever have with the exception of one or maybe two years in the last twenty that I've been playing this contest). My dumbest roster selection was probably Hunter Renfrow for $8. No idea what I was thinking at the time. He's the only player that hasn't counted for me at least once this season, and to think with that money I could've thrown a couple of darts and hit on Puka or Dell instead kills me.

But he has just had his best two games of the season the last two weeks so who knows? There's still time for him to make a difference for me...

I'm going to have to go with the unrostered kicker. That was probably a mistake. :shades: Cade York

I'm gonna say Tyreek Hill. Why? Because he carried my otherwise crappy team and gave me false hope!

I'm gonna say Tyreek Hill. Why? Because he carried my otherwise crappy team and gave me false hope!
Just shows how important having a stud receiver is - they can put up insane weekly numbers.

I hate to be that guy, but I can't identify someone on my roster that I think was a dumb choice. Believe me, there are previous years when I would have said, "every one of them!"

Matt Stafford and Bryce Young are the only guys on my roster who have never counted for me, but my main criterion for QBs is "inexpensive guys who are really unlikely to lose their jobs," and on that count, I wasn't wrong.
I knew Zack Moss would probably not be doing much later in the season, but he counted for me last week, he's back in the driver's seat for now, and he only cost me $4.
Dameon Pierce, George Pickens and Darren Waller have obviously been disappointing, but I'm not looking at them saying, "what was I thinking?" Maybe I should be?

Uncharacteristically, I spent almost no time on my roster this year (and of course I've now lasted longer than I ever have with the exception of one or maybe two years in the last twenty that I've been playing this contest). My dumbest roster selection was probably Hunter Renfrow for $8. No idea what I was thinking at the time. He's the only player that hasn't counted for me at least once this season, and to think with that money I could've thrown a couple of darts and hit on Puka or Dell instead kills me.

But he has just had his best two games of the season the last two weeks so who knows? There's still time for him to make a difference for me...
Notice how Renfrow is a much better contributor now that McDaniels is gone?

Down Walker, Waller and Goedert for sure this week. Olave still looking like a decent chance if he gets in a full practice tomorrow.

At least I get Moss back to a full workload, even if it is against the Titans. Going to need big games from Mixon, Mostert, Kamara, St. Brown, Dell and Ferguson to have any chance at making it to week 14 (That is where I bowed out last season, which was my first time in the contest). Make it past this week and I at least match last season's result.

Isaiah Hodgins, WR NYG.

You and me…i picked him after having Nuca and Dell picked….because I thought Isaiah would be more…consistent. Ughhhh

Isaiah Hodgins, WR NYG.

You and me…i picked him after having Nuca and Dell picked….because I thought Isaiah would be more…consistent. Ughhhh
Hey, he's been very consistent!

Last edited:
5:32 in, Hill scores 14.8 in a single play, which I will gladly take more of!

Dreams really do come true (even though second one was a mere 13.0)! Hill trying to single-handedly advance me to next week with 31.2 at halftime. Would appreciate Herbert/Ekeler showing up a bit in the second half like they did last week.

Currently around 125 with a ceiling probably in the 150 range. Doubt that's good enough this late.

Lost Dell for the season. As it is, probably not a quality team to make it in the playoffs next week even if I pass this week.

Last edited:
Currently around 125 with a ceiling probably in the 150 range. Doubt that's good enough this late.

Lost Dell for the season. As it is, probably not a quality team to make it in the playoffs next week even if I pass this week.
Why would 150 not be enough? Seems like not any super huge games other than a few players?

Why would 150 not be enough? Seems like not any super huge games other than a few players?
I meant the 125. Would love the 150. Dependent on Hurts (-3.8) mostly. Still have Moss going at 6.4 and his points count as my last Flex right now. Mixon and Moore left (-6.4 if Moss gets no more pts). Then Hopkins (-10.9).

Officially 130 after early games now.
Hurts (-3.8) Already over that
Mixon/Moore (-6.47)
Hopkins (-10.9)

Ceiling probably 160-170, but 150-155 probably the likely end score for me.

Injuries: Pickett, Walker, Dell (season), Goedert, Waller (possibly season). 25% of my team. Might get Walker and Goedert back next week. Definitely need em.

Last edited:
Lackluster performances from Herbert and Ekeler hurt, but 20+ scores from Hill, CMC, Kamara, Nacua, and Herd should see me through. 19.5 ahead of the lion (153.7) with all of Anders Carlson to go, and Jayden Reed and Ja'Marr Chase potentially replacing flexes of 3.7 and 4.3.

My team has at least 14 players with a zero this week.

Despite that, I'm 4.65 above the cut line with Love (-19.45), and Bigsby, Ridley, Jayden Reed (-0 and -4.3). Decent chance to keep the miracle alive and make it through.

Users who are viewing this thread