What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (4 Viewers)

Wow was that an awful game to watch. Goff's average air yards per pass was 1.8. If your QB can only throw it 5 feet down the field he shouldn't be playing. Once Pitt realized the Lions couldn't/wouldn't pass the RBs got like 2.5/carry.

Campbell getting a lot of love for calling those 2 timeouts late in OT when the Steelers had the ball with down and distance favoring the Steelers...basically saying he wanted to try to win by hopefully getting the ball back with time on the clock rather than trying to protect the tie. Good for him.  :thumbup:

Lot of love?  Where?     All the shows today were blasting him.

The offensive line was absolutely terrible in pass blocking the entire game. Between that and Goff's awfulness, I don't blame Campbell for abandoning the pass game.

nysfl2 said:
The offensive line was absolutely terrible in pass blocking the entire game. Between that and Goff's awfulness, I don't blame Campbell for abandoning the pass game.
He didn’t abandon it. They ran on third & long the first series. Ran jumbo packages with a 6th lineman all day. That was partly due to knowing the weather ahead of time, partly Goff’s ineptitude. Also, Tiny Hands had a few turnover in their other wet weather game. Throw in the oblique injury and DC went with what he thought have them the best chance to win.

227 yards rushing so you can’t say the day was a disaster due the O line.

But you’re absolutely right, Goff didn’t have a clean pocket all day. But they ran very little play action and pretty much telegraphed their passing plays with personnel/formation, and I think the Steelers felt very confident sending everyone when they knew Goof was gonna drop back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if we step back and assess what has happened so far, I think Campbell has done a really good job keeping the team motivated. Went toe to toe with the Ravens and the Steelers, who clearly have far more talent on their rosters.

The defense was played very well after the first drive. I know Mason is horrendous but even still it was a pretty solid game performance. 

IDK what people were expecting this year but to me they’re playing exactly the way I hoped they would. They’re pretty weak across the board but they’re playing gritty ball. It was never about winning this year, but we did want to see effort.

Laid a couple eggs, no doubt, but on the whole I am happy with DC. I think he’s the right guy long term.

I think if we step back and assess what has happened so far, I think Campbell has done a really good job keeping the team motivated. Went toe to toe with the Ravens and the Steelers, who clearly have far more talent on their rosters.

The defense was played very well after the first drive. I know Mason is horrendous but even still it was a pretty solid game performance. 

IDK what people were expecting this year but to me they’re playing exactly the way I hoped they would. They’re pretty weak across the board but they’re playing gritty ball. It was never about winning this year, but we did want to see effort.

Laid a couple eggs, no doubt, but on the whole I am happy with DC. I think he’s the right guy long term.

Campbell said hire a good staff and let them do their job.  So now he undercuts OC Anthony Lynn after 8 games. Can`t sit well with the rest of Lions staff as Lynn is well respected. Campbell has never been an OC or called plays.

Campbell said hire a good staff and let them do their job.  So now he undercuts OC Anthony Lynn after 8 games. Can`t sit well with the rest of Lions staff as Lynn is well respected. Campbell has never been an OC or called plays.

Yes, I’ve read that (almost verbatim) and while there is some validity to the point, it’s also a bit of a cheap shot. Dude is trying to make something happen instead of being passive. The defense has played well enough to win at least three games but they can’t get anything going offensively. Disagree that’s gonna cause an issue internally. This isn’t junior high, the men  working with Campbell understand accountability.

DC has done an excellent job of not criticizing A Lynn, was even obliquely, in his public remarks. Keep that stuff in house. Didn’t announce ahead of time or make a big deal out of it. 

What were your expectations preseason? Did you think they were going to win 5-8 games? Where d rank them talent wise? I’d say they’re 32nd by a good margin.

OFF TOPIC - did you go out in the woods yesterday? I miss opening day.

Yes, I’ve read that (almost verbatim) and while there is some validity to the point, it’s also a bit of a cheap shot. Dude is trying to make something happen instead of being passive. The defense has played well enough to win at least three games but they can’t get anything going offensively. Disagree that’s gonna cause an issue internally. This isn’t junior high, the men  working with Campbell understand accountability.

DC has done an excellent job of not criticizing A Lynn, was even obliquely, in his public remarks. Keep that stuff in house. Didn’t announce ahead of time or make a big deal out of it. 

What were your expectations preseason? Did you think they were going to win 5-8 games? Where d rank them talent wise? I’d say they’re 32nd by a good margin.

OFF TOPIC - did you go out in the woods yesterday? I miss opening day.

Oh I agree on talent level.  But Campbell has made mistakes all season on downs and clock.  i get he is new but if this team was competing it would not be good.

In terms of play calling I truly believe Lynn would have given them a better chance to win Sunday and that is all you can ask for.

Before the season started I was thinking this was a 3-4 team. Hard to find any wins now.

Not sure where the narrative that Lynn is good at anything came from, he was godawful in San Diego.  If his resume prior to that is sparkling, it's irrelevant because it was so long ago.

Oh I agree on talent level.  But Campbell has made mistakes all season on downs and clock.  i get he is new but if this team was competing it would not be good.

In terms of play calling I truly believe Lynn would have given them a better chance to win Sunday and that is all you can ask for.

Before the season started I was thinking this was a 3-4 team. Hard to find any wins now.
Given their history, the Thanksgiving Day game is always a possibility. 

Bears, Vikings, Falcons & season finale v Packers (resting starters) are all winnable 

Would be so Lions to screw up their draft position by winning a handful of meaningless games 

Agree Campbell has kept team motivated and I'm glad he's their coach. He has the persistence needed to see the job done and his restoring pride in the Lions is the real deal.

However, his calling timeout with Pittsburgh moving the ball near the end of overtime was misguided and lacking common sense.  He set the Lions up to lose that game. Lose it on another FG from a very reliable PK. There was no way the Lions were going to score if Pittsburgh punted the ball. There was too little time for their anemic offense to get into position to score and Santoso wasn't going to deliver anyway.

Playing not to lose and taking the tie was something to build on and broke the chance of 0-17. If the Lions had lost another game by a field goal at the end of time it would have demoralized the team  Campbell would be saying again it was on him and everybody- media, players and fans would be nodding their heads. He got bailed out when Pittsburgh turned the ball over again.

I doubt whether the Lions will win any games this year. The Lions were given every break by Pittsburgh in that game- covid, injuries, 3 turnovers, costly penalties including an overturned Pittsburgh TD and a Lion turnover but couldn't win.

Both Atlanta and Minnesota have functioning offenses. Better chance vs Denver and Chicago. I thought they outplayed Chicago in first game but couldn't score in the red zone.

A change in QB might help and would open the field more for the running game as I would expect either backup to go more downfield than Goff but would expect more INTs and pick sixes. 

The Lions have signed their 5th and 6th kickers of the season

Rookie Riley Patterson was picked off the Pats practice squad and has the job for this week

Former Saints & Giants K Aldrick Rosas was signed to their practice squad 

Goff day-to day and will not practice today. Tim Boyle will get first team reps in practice. 

Boyle hasn't played much in his career so no idea what he will do if he plays but we already know Blough isn't very good. Part of me thinks Boyle may have played some already this seadon if he wasn't hurt. 

Moonlight said:
Agree Campbell has kept team motivated and I'm glad he's their coach. He has the persistence needed to see the job done and his restoring pride in the Lions is the real deal.

However, his calling timeout with Pittsburgh moving the ball near the end of overtime was misguided and lacking common sense.  He set the Lions up to lose that game. Lose it on another FG from a very reliable PK. There was no way the Lions were going to score if Pittsburgh punted the ball. There was too little time for their anemic offense to get into position to score and Santoso wasn't going to deliver anyway.

Playing not to lose and taking the tie was something to build on and broke the chance of 0-17. If the Lions had lost another game by a field goal at the end of time it would have demoralized the team  Campbell would be saying again it was on him and everybody- media, players and fans would be nodding their heads. He got bailed out when Pittsburgh turned the ball over again.

I doubt whether the Lions will win any games this year. The Lions were given every break by Pittsburgh in that game- covid, injuries, 3 turnovers, costly penalties including an overturned Pittsburgh TD and a Lion turnover but couldn't win.

Both Atlanta and Minnesota have functioning offenses. Better chance vs Denver and Chicago. I thought they outplayed Chicago in first game but couldn't score in the red zone.

A change in QB might help and would open the field more for the running game as I would expect either backup to go more downfield than Goff but would expect more INTs and pick sixes. 
Disagree here.  Campbell is trying to show them he isn't playing to not lose.  He desperately wants to win.  A tie may be better than a loss to us fans, but to him and the players I don't think it does a thing for them.

Goff day-to day and will not practice today. Tim Boyle will get first team reps in practice. 

Boyle hasn't played much in his career so no idea what he will do if he plays but we already know Blough isn't very good. Part of me thinks Boyle may have played some already this seadon if he wasn't hurt. 
Blough is a trash bag. If Boyle’s thumb is healed, why not.

We cut Randy Bulloch and Zane Gonzales preseason, with zero kickers on the initial 53 man. The Fat Guy has multiple FGs in 7 games this year for the Titans and Gonzo had 5 of those with the Panthers. I don’t think Prater is as great as he used to be but zero misses inside 40 and he’s made 100% of his PATs, but still probably makes sense to save 2-3M there.

Goff will throw today but DC said they’re prepared to go with Boyle. Wants to make the decision today not Sunday.

Taylor Decker’s elbow is not as bad as feared, practicing today & playing Sunday.

Jefferson out and Jamaal limited. Godwin Igwebuike might be the RB2 in Cleveland.

Josh Reynolds makes his Lions debut this week.

The Lions are 30th in sacks. Could you name the player who leads them in sacks. I’d venture to say 95-99% of Lions fans don’t even knew w he’s in the roster. Hint 1: his last sack was Week 5. Hint 2: Fairly certain his name has never been mentioned in this thread.

Anyway, it’s a problem. 17 pressures the last two weeks. There are NFL players who have 16 pressures in November all by themselves.

@Da Guru

“I don’t see it as a demotion,” Lynn said before practice on Thursday. “I’ve been in Dan’s shoes, and if I was 0-8, hell, I need to spark my team being an offensive guy, I probably would have done the same thing, to be honest with you. And I have. I’d be a hypocrite if I didn’t agree with what he did.”

the NFLs 6th winless team. 016-1 is still zero wins.

ugh.and we have to watch these bastids on Thanksgiving..it's time to change the teams every year.soooo tired of watching the dreadful lions. the scott mitchell games were fun, lots of offense. nothing positive since then. The Jets are bad, but the lions are otherworldly bad. same with the browines.always mutts.always will be.how about the NFL just flexes the best teams or matchup to play on thanksgiving. dallas v chiefs would be better than the lions vs anyone. they can't beat a CFL team.

in this day and age..can't we do something?!?! wasnt it that dope LBJ that made dallas and detroit thanksgiving day games?! 

Tanner9919 said:

ugh.and we have to watch these bastids on Thanksgiving..it's time to change the teams every year.soooo tired of watching the dreadful lions. the scott mitchell games were fun, lots of offense. nothing positive since then. The Jets are bad, but the lions are otherworldly bad. same with the browines.always mutts.always will be.how about the NFL just flexes the best teams or matchup to play on thanksgiving. dallas v chiefs would be better than the lions vs anyone. they can't beat a CFL team.

in this day and age..can't we do something?!?! wasnt it that dope LBJ that made dallas and detroit thanksgiving day games?! 
:cry:

Tanner9919 said:

Well since you came here to say it, I do not care that you do not like it.

The Lions were not the first NFL team to play on Thanksgiving. The Chicago Bears played the Chicago Cardinals 1922-33. The Lions have hosted a game every year since they moved to Detroit from Portsmouth in 1934 except during WWII.

For all their struggles throughout the remainder of most seasons – they’ve posted winning records in just 10 of the last 37 years – the Detroit Lions are competitive in Thanksgiving games. Their record is 37-42-2.

Division rivals the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears have provided the competition for nearly half the games. The Lions are 12-8-1 against Green Bay and 8-10 vs. Chicago. The Bears played the Lions 1934-38 while Packers were the opponent for 13 consecutive years beginning in 1951.

There are not a lot of things you can point to and say that’s a franchise tradition we can be proud of: former head coaches never getting another job, drafting Tight Ends in the first round, having great kickers and punters, playing on Turkey Day. I’ve always liked that for day the rest of the country has to experience what it’s like to be a Lions fan. Plus in the morning we have the second best Thanksgiving Day parade.

Will Boyle bomb vs the Browns? Or does he have a chance to be decent like other first-time QBs, such as Mike White, Josh Johnson. Even Mills had a couple of decent games. 

Will Boyle bomb vs the Browns? Or does he have a chance to be decent like other first-time QBs, such as Mike White, Josh Johnson. Even Mills had a couple of decent games. 

It's hard to expect anything too grand. Browns' Defense has looked more vulnerable recently, but the Lions' WRs don't scare anyone. On the other hand, Goff has had barely over 1000 yards with 1 TD and 4 INTs the last 5 games. So the bar isn't exactly high. Might as well see what happens.

Are they bad enough to select CLE @ home as a Survivor pick this week?  All indications would say yes but the "trap game" and looking ahead for CLE looms large w/ a first time starter. 

Are they bad enough to select CLE @ home as a Survivor pick this week?  All indications would say yes but the "trap game" and looking ahead for CLE looms large w/ a first time starter. 
Of course the Lions haven't won any road games or any home games either to be exact. However, their tie with Pittsburgh counted as a loss for both Pitts and Detroit in survivor. 

Yes the Lions are bad enough to lose to Cleveland on the road by 20, particularly if Mayfield plays. But there is so much luck in survivor.

Hard to expect much given the poor group of WRs he has to work with but it has to be better than what Goff has done. 
Lions leaving Goff in for the second half against Pitts when he's too injured to play this week is weird. Lions would have won the Pitts game with a QB who was a threat to pass.

Maybe this is just a face saving way to bench Goff. 

Big guy, big arm. Had (-16j yards rushing on 18 attempts with the Packers - he’s got a lot of victory formation kneel down experience.

Everyone is probably better off not looking at his college stats. But his college highlight reel - the one uploaded by user Tim Boyle (8 subscribers) - is pretty sweet.

We’re talking about Tim freaking Boyle. He’s got four career passes and I have a really good feeling about today.

TB12

Anybody know what the Jonah Jackson penalty was about? It was a killer.

Thought it might be taunting, did he moon the Browns sideline?

Users who are viewing this thread