What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (6 Viewers)

On the bright side...the Texans won their 2nd game today, beating Tennessee in yet another shocker. The Texans, Jags, and Jets all have 2 wins and the Texans play both teams this year. The Lions would have to win 2 games and have one of those 3 teams lose out to not get the first pick in the draft. If it was any other team than the Lions, I would says its a lock. It would be so Lions-like to blow it.

didn’t understand not going for the 4th & 1 on the Browns 25 down by 6

then down by 3 he calls a draw on 3rd & 14

do we play to win the game?
Thought he had his best chance to get 14 yds with Swift as opposed to Boyle.

Campbell when he is in a position to win or go ahead gets conservative.

Only the Lions would get penalized in a key situation for trash talking about someone's mother. It must have been the mother of all swear words.

Campbell has made some very bizarre decisions this season.  Nobody cares as the team stinks and it does not matter but they should

Didn’t understand the very last call when they had the ball.  On your 36, 3rd and 14, 3:00 to go and they run Swift for 5.  Punt, never see the ball again.  They have to try and pass there. 

Already getting hyped for the potential (/likely) Tim Boyle vs Andy Dalton matchup on Turkey Day.

Defense is playing well. Offensive line was outstanding today. We had an NFL caliber place kicker, which is nice.

Some positives to build on. Boyle hadn’t played in 11 weeks bc of his broken thumb. Maybe he’ll throw for 125 or so, which might be enough.

Man this team is pathetic.

Defense is playing well. Offensive line was outstanding today. We had an NFL caliber place kicker, which is nice.

Some positives to build on. Boyle hadn’t played in 11 weeks bc of his broken thumb. Maybe he’ll throw for 125 or so, which might be enough.

Given the youth and lack of talent on defense, Aaron Glenn is doing a great job with what he has to work with. They desperately need edge rushers (hello Kayvon Thibodeau!) and hopefully Romeo Okwara comes back from his torn Achilles. 

The offensive line will definitely be the strength of the team going foward. They were great today. Penei Sewell is turning into a monster. Swift is elite. They desperately need WRs that can consistently get open and of course they need a QB in the worst way. The QB play has been atrocious. 

I remember on draft day many pundits thought the Lions would draft Micah Parsons to shore up the defense. After watching Parsons run down Mahomes all night he looks like a star already.

Lions have opened up a 1.5 game lead over the Jets, Jags, and Texans.
Tankathon has them taking Thibodeaux at 1.01 and Sam Howell dropping to them at 1.27. The Lions have many needs, but I'm not sure they'll get a team wanting to trade up for a defensive player. They need to do due diligence on all QBs.

Tankathon has them taking Thibodeaux at 1.01 and Sam Howell dropping to them at 1.27. The Lions have many needs, but I'm not sure they'll get a team wanting to trade up for a defensive player. They need to do due diligence on all QBs.
I don't agree. The time to add a QB will be 2023.

I remember on draft day many pundits thought the Lions would draft Micah Parsons to shore up the defense. After watching Parsons run down Mahomes all night he looks like a star already.
There was zero chance the Lions or probably any other team would pass on Penei Sewell and take Parsons on draft day. Pundits never thought Sewell would be available at 1.07. 

There was zero chance the Lions or probably any other team would pass on Penei Sewell and take Parsons on draft day. Pundits never thought Sewell would be available at 1.07. 
Most mocks had Sewell going before the Lions pick at 7 so they usually had someone else slotted in for the Lions. Justin Fields was one of those guys as well as Parsons, Surtain and Slater. 

Sewell is a great player, absolutely no regrets for me. Took a good unit to greatness level when Ragnow is healthy. Zero pressures yesterday - and he was on Myles Garrett or Jadeveon Clowney all day. Played well against Aaron Donald and Nick Bosey. Kid just turned 21 and already playing at a very high level. Has done great playing both tackle positions.

A lot of mocks had Parsons going to Detroit but nobody had him higher on their board than Penei. Nasty, mean, dirty, doesn’t take #### from anyone on the field, stellar family and good dude away from the facility. Absolute unit.

Parsons is playing well. He’s got a little more talent around than he would have in Detroit. There’s no guarantee he would be at this level as a Lion.

First win is only three days away, amiright? Team is playing well, although it’s ugly to watch. You would think a squad that is 0-9-1 is down in the dumps and questioning where this is going. Sure doesn’t sound like it hearing their interviews. They still believe in DC and the rest of the staff. Sooner or later you need that stuff to translate into wins, but I feel like they are growing as they go through this.

Tough year to be a fan, more so than normal. But still good stuff going on and overall I think they’re on the right track. But DC has to get off ha ultra conservative mindset and get back to being aggressive.

Should be some great football this weekend at Ford Field. Wish I could watch the MHSAA games Friday & Saturday.

I assume the thought was that the offense was putrid and was unlikely to score, even if they picked up the first down, so pull within 3, and hopefully tie it late with a long field goal. 

I assume the 3rd and 14 run was called with the plan of going for it on 4th. I guess they didn't pick up enough on the run to go for it?

Sewell is a great player, absolutely no regrets for me. Took a good unit to greatness level when Ragnow is healthy. Zero pressures yesterday - and he was on Myles Garrett or Jadeveon Clowney all day. Played well against Aaron Donald and Nick Bosey. Kid just turned 21 and already playing at a very high level. Has done great playing both tackle positions.

A lot of mocks had Parsons going to Detroit but nobody had him higher on their board than Penei. Nasty, mean, dirty, doesn’t take #### from anyone on the field, stellar family and good dude away from the facility. Absolute unit.

Parsons is playing well. He’s got a little more talent around than he would have in Detroit. There’s no guarantee he would be at this level as a Lion.

First win is only three days away, amiright? Team is playing well, although it’s ugly to watch. You would think a squad that is 0-9-1 is down in the dumps and questioning where this is going. Sure doesn’t sound like it hearing their interviews. They still believe in DC and the rest of the staff. Sooner or later you need that stuff to translate into wins, but I feel like they are growing as they go through this.

Tough year to be a fan, more so than normal. But still good stuff going on and overall I think they’re on the right track. But DC has to get off ha ultra conservative mindset and get back to being aggressive.

Should be some great football this weekend at Ford Field. Wish I could watch the MHSAA games Friday & Saturday.
Pretty much agree with all of this. Thanksgiving is far and away their best chance to win. Khalil Mack being out is huge. 

I assume the thought was that the offense was putrid and was unlikely to score, even if they picked up the first down, so pull within 3, and hopefully tie it late with a long field goal. 

I assume the 3rd and 14 run was called with the plan of going for it on 4th. I guess they didn't pick up enough on the run to go for it?
I think Campbell was hoping to get half of it and then go for it on 4th and 7 or less. But I think you have to go for it regardless. I didn't have a problem with the field goal.

Seth Walder@SethWalder

Best chance to earn No. 1 overall pick, per FPI:

• Lions 69%
  • Jets 13%
  • Texans 9%
  • Jaguars 7%
  • Giants* 1%
*Cumulatively, between their two selections

Someone in the group chat of my fantasy football league was saying something about the glory of Thanksgiving football, and I said that as a Lions fan, there is no such thing as Thanksgiving glory. In fact, I joked, the greatest TG moment of my lifetime was probably when the refs screwed up Jerome Bettis' coin toss call in OT.

Then I was curious so I Googled "Greatest Lions Thanksgiving moments" and this article actually did list the coin toss as No. 1.

This is the life we have chosen.

do we really need to see Chicago at Detroit tomorrow? can anyone think of a more unwatchable game than this? I can only hope the hapless Lions beat Nagy's teddy bears - that will once and for all cement Nagy's fate as the teddy bears' head coach.

but to see the Lions inch one step closer to being the ONLY NFL team to go winless twice, would be priceless..

I'll be on the edge of my seat either way, I mean just to see the TV crew do the whole 'player of the game gets a turkey leg' bit, and there's actually no one to give the damn leg to. there's no mvp of the game, no one stood out. lol. 'we'll freeze this one for next season' 

favorite Tigers Stadium Thanksgiving memory 1970

There is so much to unpack here.

• 4 days after Saints beat us 19-17 with a 63 yard FG by Dempsey
  • Raiders were always good back then but that season was 43 year old QB-K George Blanda’s Miracle season. Coming into the game he had won five straight comeback games either by FG or coming off the bench to relieve Lamonica.
  • Lions were a good team but frustratedly only 5-4
Lions fumbled opening kickoff and gave up a TD on the next play. Raiders 14-0 after TDs of 28 and 24 yards to Fred Biletnikoff. Tremendous comeback spurred by Charlie Sanders and Mel Farr. No Blanda miracle.

What I remember most though is getting out of the car. There was snow on the ground after a big storm. I remember staring at my cousin’s new house....it was flat roofed, rectangular...weird. And from inside, we heard my Uncle Fred, an optometrist who passed away this summer, absolutely raging.

DAMMIT BARNEY! THAT’S THE SAME ####### PLAY THEY RAN LAST TIME!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lions 28 Raiders 14 November 28 1970 box score

Watch the clip in my last post - Hall of Fame WR beating a Hall of Fame CB, and yup, SAME ####### PLAY

I forget the connection but my uncle was Lem Barney’s eye doctor, He lived a helluva life and I’ve been thinking about him a lot this week.

Thats what Lions football on Thanksgiving means to me. Family. Memories, Frustration. That’s life, right? Doesn’t always go your way. You keep pushing on. Because nothing means more than family - that is everything.

Thanjsginibg

Watch the clip in my last post - Hall of Fame WR beating a Hall of Fame CB, and yup, SAME ####### PLAY

I forget the connection but my uncle was Lem Barney’s eye doctor, He lived a helluva life and I’ve been thinking about him a lot this week.

Thats what Lions football on Thanksgiving means to me. Family. Memories, Frustration. That’s life, right? Doesn’t always go your way. You keep pushing on. Because nothing means more than family - that is everything.
Thanksgiving means family and friends more than anything. My favorite holiday of the year. Our gatherings rotated among houses because there is some prep when you have 20 - 25 family and friends. We counted 35 different dishes one year, some traditional, some local like my mom's shrimp salad, and I'm not sure how it got started but I think it had to do with Key West shrimp. Even when the price of shrimp was high my mom didn't skrimp on shrimp. Now, almost everyone passed away or moved away from Miami. I'll be in California tomorrow visiting my 2 daughters who moved there during the pandemic. My vegan daughter will make shrimp salad using vegan shrimp. 

My favorite Thanksgiving fantasy moment involved the 1995 Lions. Our team, the Cheeseheads,  still with the same co-GMs in 2021, my friend Jose from middle school and me, had Scott Mitchell, Barry, and Jason Hanson. The Lions beat the Warren Moon led Vikings 44-38. The Cheesheads kicked butt that year thanks to the Lions.

do we really need to see Chicago at Detroit tomorrow? can anyone think of a more unwatchable game than this? I can only hope the hapless Lions beat Nagy's teddy bears - that will once and for all cement Nagy's fate as the teddy bears' head coach.

but to see the Lions inch one step closer to being the ONLY NFL team to go winless twice, would be priceless..

I'll be on the edge of my seat either way, I mean just to see the TV crew do the whole 'player of the game gets a turkey leg' bit, and there's actually no one to give the damn leg to. there's no mvp of the game, no one stood out. lol. 'we'll freeze this one for next season' 
I still remember the Thanksgiving game in the '80s when the Lions played the equally terrible Chiefs and NBC brought a sports psychologist into the booth to talk about the impact of losing.

BobbyLayne said:

That 1970 team was a very good team. Shutout the Packers in both games by a combined score of 60-0. The comeback victory over the Raiders on Thanksgiving was magnificent. Joe Schmidt was a good coach. He eventually quit due to interference from front office.

That 1970 team was a very good team. Shutout the Packers in both games by a combined score of 60-0. The comeback victory over the Raiders on Thanksgiving was magnificent. Joe Schmidt was a good coach. He eventually quit due to interference from front office.
Worst GM in the league, Russ Thomas. Former player (Lion) but had a CPA mentality. More interested in turning a profit than building a winner, treated players like dogs.

That was a really fun squad. Mel Farr and Altie Taylor were dynamic, Greg Landry was in his first year as a starter (Munson most of the year at the beginning IIRC) Charlie Sanders, good O-line with Ed Flanagan as a Pro Biwl C,  Barney, **** Lebeau was the other CB, Mike Wagner & Wayne Rasmussen as the Safeties,   great LB corps - Paul Naumoff, Mike Lucci, Wayne Walker - and the backup RB was a Heisman winner who ran for 1000 in 1971. Won their last 5 to sneak in as the Wild Card. Lost THE MOST BORING PLAYOFF GAME EVER 5-0 to the Cowboys.

I met most of those guys growing up. They had a barnstorming basketball team (think it was Sanders idea) & would go from small town to small town playing charity games. Walker was friends with Mickey Lolich, who had a cottage nearby, and we’d see them on the snowmobile trails or shooting rifles at the local Conservation Club range. 

Different era back then, most athletes had off season jobs and typically came to TC a little out of shape. Can you imagine the conniption fit if players today wanted to barnstorm?

Since consensus seems to be the 2022 QB class is weak - and we have a ton of needs anyway - then presumably we’ll be drafting a franchise QB in April 2023.

Predicting the 2023 QB Class

The 2022 QB class looks weak on paper…does that mean they will all stink? Certainly not, usually we get at least one franchise QB a year and this class likely will join that trend. However, the 2023 QB class is much more intriguing and the reason for that is STAR POWER. Right now, in late November, we are seeing two of the top prospects in the 2023 class dual it out for the Heisman trophy. C.J. Stroud and Bryce Young don’t lack an ounce of star power, but where do they stand as pro prospects and stack up against the rest of the class?

**Elite Tier**

Look, it’s early…it’s Late-November and we can’t even realistically stack up the 2022 class yet, so 2023 is a crap shoot. However, as of now, there are three extremely talented QBs that I think could all be viable 1st round picks.

**C.J. Stroud | Ohio State, RS FR**

Stroud struggled early in the season, but has absolutely taken off and is now the odds on favorite to win the Heisman Trophy following his 6 TD performance against Michigan State. I love the arm talent, I love the mental processing, I love the size, but what I love the most is the improvements that Stroud has made to his game along the way this season. He has completely rewritten any concerns I had early in the season and has seriously showcase his elite NFL ability through his first season as a starter. The biggest hurdle Stroud must face going forward is that he will lose a pair of receivers that very well could go in the 1st round, however, Jaxson Smith-Njigba has become a very viable WR in the Buckeyes offense and will be rejoining the Buckeyes next season, as well as the talented freshman RB TreyVeon Henderson.

**Bryce Young | Alabama, SO**

Young, who is just behind Stroud in Heisman odds, is on an absolute tear. In the month of November he has thrown for 1,100 yards and 12 TDs and hasn’t thrown a single interception…it’s only November 23 as I type this. I was a little worried early in the season, simply because it seemed that Alabama had simplified the offense a bit for him and he wasn’t really having to make many complicated reads, but what I forgot was that he is young and inexperienced…and now, a few months later, he is looking comfortable and poised to be a 1st round pick.

Seems like Young and Stroud are 1a and 1b as I type this, but check out the rest here:

Predicting the 2023 QB class

Users who are viewing this thread