What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alt Country / Texas Country ***Official Thread*** (2 Viewers)

AMEN!

Robert Earl Keen has a bunch of really great songs.......

I am going to see him do his annual Christmas show this year at the Ryman. What a blast that show is. Last year I saw it in Midland TX and the year before @ Austin City Limits. It is now part of our annual Christmas festivities. 

I've seen him a few times in Phoenix and he always puts on a great show. He's slowed down a bit with age, but he's still just a blast to go see.

Have a great time!

I find myself listening to Outlaw Country on Sirius more and more.

But when they play Hank3  I can't change the station quick enough.
I like that station.......  just wish Mojo Nixon would tone it down with his language. I cannot listen to the station with our grandson in the car and he loves that music......his favorite song is REK/Todd Sniders "Play a Train Song." 

You can play great music without the profanity......There is no sense in it really...

Last edited by a moderator:
AMEN!

Robert Earl Keen has a bunch of really great songs.......

I am going to see him do his annual Christmas show this year at the Ryman. What a blast that show is. Last year I saw it in Midland TX and the year before @ Austin City Limits. It is now part of our annual Christmas festivities. 

:blackdot:  for the thread

On REK, one of my college professors toured with him a few years as his bassist. Said the bass line was rather simple but being on stage and hanging with REK was irreplaceable. 

NYE show at The Opry House was great.  Got there before the Hatch prints arrived, so us Jersey folks got to mingle with the locals in the merch area (outside?) for a bit before the show.

Opener was Kacey Musgraves, who has just a classic, clean sound to her music, accompanied by insightful lyrics.  Nice mix of the newer "Pagent Material" songs with older stuff from "Same Trailer, Different Park" during her hour on the stage with her band.  We were in the cheap ($75) seats at The Opry House, which is far removed from seeing Kacey from 25 feet at The Bowery Ballroom a few years ago.

Next up was Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit (with Amanda Shires).  Our 6th Isbell show in 2016 had "Stockholm" opening into a set with mostly newer material + Codeine and Alabama Pines up front, saving Decoration Day for later in the set.  DD was great tonight (especially with it's later slot in the set, allowing it to be immediately preceded By "Cover Me Up"), but the standout song for me this evening was a sublime "Flagship" featuring mainly Jason and his wife Amanda.  Jason commented that being in the hallowed circle of the Opry stage required a standout performance and they delivered.

Surprisingly, a number of folks (maybe almost 10% of the crowd) left after Isbell and before John Prime took the stage at 1115ish.  Not us.  Our first Prine show and not being a Prine listener in the past, I found his lyrics really dynamic.  Great band and I loved as we approached Midnight at 1157, he started another song.  Midway through, out marches the lovely Musgraves (who was waiting in the wings with the other bands and family members) with champagne, but Prine just chugged through the rest of the song before we took our NYE countdown.  At the end, he said that they did not know the words to Auld Lang Syne, so instead they led us through a rendition of "Happy Birthday" as "Happy New Year" with balloons coming down.  Kacey then joined John for a few songs ("Angel Of Montgomery" was fantastic).  After a few more with just John and his band, Amanda and Jason joined John for a few, as Jason was content with letting Amanda get the majority of the spotlight with one of her idols.

All said, a great night at The Opry House was had to close out 2016 and ring in 2017.

Rhett played a small venue last time he was in MIlwaukee, and is coming back in February at an even smaller place. Great for fans, but I hope he's doing alright. Its been a few years since he had the band together as far as I know. Some of my friends know him pretty well, so we always get tickets and usually get to hang out in the back after the show. He's a great guy, fun to hang with.
Saw the full band twice in the last 18 months. They are still touring a lot as Old 97s. Rhett just tours more. 

They just wrapped up a two night in Washington DC the last two nights. Rhett is touring solo for most of January (have tickets for the 20th), then the Old 97s have a ton of dates from Feb through April. Old 97s are alive and well.

Really cool story about the Opry. I love Kacey Musgraves so hard. Got to do a meet & greet with her last year before the Austin Rodeo Gala and she's as smoking hot as she is tiny.

Finally listened to Robert Earl Keen Live Dinner reunion CD last night. I would loved to have been at that show. Not sure what I would think about REK having Joe Ely do The Road Goes on Forever to close out the show.

Looks like there was a lot of people in Nashville over the holidays. I saw Gillian Welch/David Rawlings at the Ryman and they did a fantastic tribute to Guy Clark which included a great version of Dublin Blues.  It was my first show at the Ryman and it did not disappoint. 

I second the John Prine and REK love and will throw in Lyle Lovett as a great live performer.

I've decided I'm going to make an appeal to Ben Nichols/Lucero's management to play our BBQfest booth for a Sunset acoustic show on friday.... we have a decent budget, we have a precedent of great memphis artists having played, we have a fantastic light/sound system.... 

....fingers crossed. 

Brief amusing story.  A few weeks ago I convinced my reluctant wife to go with me to see Jason Isbell and she unexpectedly loved it.  One of the few acts we agree on is Lyle Lovett, whom we've seen together twice.  We also both love John Hiatt, but have never seen him.  We've tried but life always gets in the way.  So two days before Christmas I happen to be listening to a radio station out of Beaumont, about an hour away and I hear an ad for an upcoming Lyle Lovett/John Hiatt show in town.  I immediately raced home and ordered tickets for us and printed the tickets and wrapped them up as a present to her and put it under the tree.  She never listens to Beaumont radio so I figured she would be shocked.

Christmas morning we are waiting for our still-asleep niece to get up so we can open presents.  My wife suggests we each pick one out for the other to open while we wait for the niece to wake up.  I get her the Lyle/John tickets and she gets one for me.  She opens it up and her eyes get real big and she goes Are these John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett tickets?  I am shocked! Now open yours!"

Of course you know where this is going.  She got me the same thing, almost the same seats.  She had signed up for alerts any time John Hiatt shows were announced several years ago.  Anyway, anybody want to go see them in Beaumont in February?  I've got an extra pair.

Brief amusing story.  A few weeks ago I convinced my reluctant wife to go with me to see Jason Isbell and she unexpectedly loved it.  One of the few acts we agree on is Lyle Lovett, whom we've seen together twice.  We also both love John Hiatt, but have never seen him.  We've tried but life always gets in the way.  So two days before Christmas I happen to be listening to a radio station out of Beaumont, about an hour away and I hear an ad for an upcoming Lyle Lovett/John Hiatt show in town.  I immediately raced home and ordered tickets for us and printed the tickets and wrapped them up as a present to her and put it under the tree.  She never listens to Beaumont radio so I figured she would be shocked.

Christmas morning we are waiting for our still-asleep niece to get up so we can open presents.  My wife suggests we each pick one out for the other to open while we wait for the niece to wake up.  I get her the Lyle/John tickets and she gets one for me.  She opens it up and her eyes get real big and she goes Are these John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett tickets?  I am shocked! Now open yours!"

Of course you know where this is going.  She got me the same thing, almost the same seats.  She had signed up for alerts any time John Hiatt shows were announced several years ago.  Anyway, anybody want to go see them in Beaumont in February?  I've got an extra pair.
That's a funny story and it will be a great show. 

I saw John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely and Guy Clark show where there was 4 seats and 4 acoustic guitars and they went round and round playing songs and trading stories.  Out of the 100's of shows I've seen that was one of the best. 

This would require going to Beaumont, right?

I am going to see Justin Townes Earle Sunday night. Looking forward to it. He is playing in a venue in Tucson that I have never been in. Looks like a pretty small place.

Okay, but you gotta admit that "Bro-Country" totally works as a label, right?
i don't.  "Bro-country" is the label applied by people who think any song with a truck/hot girls/beer in it is the same.   They're not.  I'm fine with people who don't like particular songs...and I'm certainly guilty of not liking bands who NEVER do anything else than one type, but I don't like labels for groups of people.

I think Alt Country is a bad label too.   Texas country at least makes sense....a certain sound started there, like Bakersfield country.   Alt-country, as it gets applied, is too broad to be helpful

i don't.  "Bro-country" is the label applied by people who think any song with a truck/hot girls/beer in it is the same.   They're not.  I'm fine with people who don't like particular songs...and I'm certainly guilty of not liking bands who NEVER do anything else than one type, but I don't like labels for groups of people.

I think Alt Country is a bad label too.   Texas country at least makes sense....a certain sound started there, like Bakersfield country.   Alt-country, as it gets applied, is too broad to be helpful
They are all helpful labels, in that they differentiate from the horrid and unlistenable mainstream "Modern" or "Young" country.

They are all helpful labels, in that they differentiate from the horrid and unlistenable mainstream "Modern" or "Young" country.
meh, ok.

e.g. I think a few of FlGaLine songs are horribly canned and too predictable.  But "Dirt" and "H.O.L.Y." are well written.

but I like some parts of all the country genre, so you and I are very different there.

meh, ok.

e.g. I think a few of FlGaLine songs are horribly canned and too predictable.  But "Dirt" and "H.O.L.Y." are well written.

but I like some parts of all the country genre, so you and I are very different there.
I am no expert, for sure. But on Sirius, if it is on Outlaw or Roadhouse, I can usually listen to it, even if I don't love it. 

All of their other country stations drive me away within a few seconds. Except the Bluegrass one, but that really is a different category in my mind.

You tell me. (Note: questionable sound quality)

https://youtu.be/sFROU-4EOE0

My favorite tends to shift over time between Shake Your Magnolia, Like I Am, Good One Comin' On, and Pretty Little Lie. 

Powerful and heartbreaking. 

Ugh, at the risk of peppering this thread with shameless "look at me" posts, I recorded a live cover of this song alone in a room one evening four months after Chance passed away. It is the closest I've come to being able to incorporate anything even remotely related to his battle into a performance. It's just too hard.

https://youtu.be/UstrRQNM7ns
2 things:

1) it's no wonder you do shows...damn, you're good at both the guitar AND the vocals.   

2) what's the deal with guitars players and wristbands...whether leather (Aldean) or the Bjorn Borg wristbands you're sporting in the first (I HOPE those are for sweat)

DO I NEED TO BUY SOME, PLEASE ADVICE!!!

I am no expert, for sure. But on Sirius, if it is on Outlaw or Roadhouse, I can usually listen to it, even if I don't love it. 

All of their other country stations drive me away within a few seconds. Except the Bluegrass one, but that really is a different category in my mind.
I get that you hate the pop crossover stuff...many do.   But, like the genre, the Highway can surprise you.  Played John Mayer - "In the Blood" the other day and it is SPECTACULAR.  They also intro'd me to Midland and Luke Combs.

Labels can be helpful at times, but are often vague, broadly-used and mean different things to different people. Of course its all a matter of personal taste. I watched the CMA a month or two ago for about 30 minutes. I'm sure the musicians I saw were all very talented and successful, but I didn't hear anything I consider country music.

I get that you hate the pop crossover stuff...many do.   But, like the genre, the Highway can surprise you.  Played John Mayer - "In the Blood" the other day and it is SPECTACULAR.  They also intro'd me to Midland and Luke Combs.
There may be nothing more subjective than taste in music.

And I'll be the first to admit that I probably have odd musical taste.

Most of the time when I discover artists that I genuinely like (and I am not talking about a song or two), I find them in some really random way.

2 things:

1) it's no wonder you do shows...damn, you're good at both the guitar AND the vocals.   

2) what's the deal with guitars players and wristbands...whether leather (Aldean) or the Bjorn Borg wristbands you're sporting in the first (I HOPE those are for sweat)

DO I NEED TO BUY SOME, PLEASE ADVICE!!!
Wow, so appreciate the kind words.  It's a fun hobby.  And, yes, I wear the godawful tericloth wristbands at every show.  For better or worse, it's sorta my thing and people expect it.  It does help keep the sweat off my playing hands, but I'd be lying if I said that was the only (or even primary) reason I wear them.

There are three new(er) country albums I've really been enjoying.

Zephaniah Ohora- This Highway

The Cactus Blossoms- You're Dreaming

Lillie Mae-Forever and then some

some recent stuff I'm digging:

Dwight Yoakum - Swimming Pools, Movie Stars

Sturgill Simpson - Sailor's Guide to Earth (yes, its a little less country than prior records)

DBT's 3 disk live record from 2015

OCMS - Blonde/Blonde tribute record

Margo Price Midwest Farmer's Daughter

Stapelton From a Room Vol. 1

Isbell's Nashville Sound

Old 97s Graveyard Whistling

Dwight Yoakum - Swimming Pools, Movie Stars

Sturgill Simpson - Sailor's Guide to Earth (yes, its a little less country than prior records)

DBT's 3 disk live record from 2015

OCMS - Blonde/Blonde tribute record

Margo Price Midwest Farmer's Daughter

Stapelton From a Room Vol. 1

Isbell's Nashville Sound

I've got Yoakum, Simpson, Stapleton, Isbell and Old 97s and recommend them all. Saw Isbell a week ago for the third time and it was a great show as usual.

Wearing this one out. Saw Rhett Miller solo acoustic last Saturday and he still has his fastball. He played "Jesus Loves You" (my favorite). "Good With God" and "She Hates Everyone" off of the new album and they sounded great.

Wearing this one out. Saw Rhett Miller solo acoustic last Saturday and he still has his fastball. He played "Jesus Loves You" (my favorite). "Good With God" and "She Hates Everyone" off of the new album and they sounded great.
We've seen him solo and with the band in the past year.  Great professionals, always tight, great shows. We have an in with Miller so usually get comped and spend some time with him after the show.  Its one show that we never have any problems getting the ladies to join us. All the girls love Rhett - its been that way ever since I first saw him play about 20 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread