What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benson Is Terrible (1 Viewer)

22 carries 50 yards.....TERRIBLE.Zero vision, zero explosiveness, zero heart.
And zero holes opened. :lmao:
Are you watching the games?
As I type this Im watching. I just dont agree with you is all. I sure hope that didnt offend you.
You are in some serious denial. Hey I own him in a couple of leagues as well. It is okay to admit you made a serious mistake drafting the bumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
And zero holes opened. :)
As I type this Im watching. I just dont agree with you is all. I sure hope that didnt offend you.
You are in some serious denial. Hey I own him in a couple of leagues as well. It is okay to admit you made a serious mistake drafting the bumb.
He's got60 yards and a TD against one of the best D's in football, im not greedy, I'll take that. What did you expect him to do against Green Bay considering they havent given up a rushing TD this year. :banned:

And zero holes opened. :)
He's got60 yards and a TD against one of the best D's in football, im not greedy, I'll take that. What did you expect him to do against Green Bay considering they havent given up a rushing TD this year. :banned:
Confused?Obviously.

And zero holes opened. :thumbup:
He's got60 yards and a TD against one of the best D's in football, im not greedy, I'll take that. What did you expect him to do against Green Bay considering they havent given up a rushing TD this year. :confused:
You obviously have Benson colored glasses.He has played terrible, 27 carries 64 yards is Curtis Enis bad.

He's got60 yards and a TD against one of the best D's in football, im not greedy, I'll take that. What did you expect him to do against Green Bay considering they havent given up a rushing TD this year. :confused:
For me, it's just the way he looks. I've watched him two weeks in a row now, and he seems unsure. He doesn't hit the hole with any authority, when he does hit the hole. I know GB has a good D, and Detroit has good DT's, but that still doesn't excuse how slow Benson looks once he gets the hand-off. I was completely sold on Benson before the year, have him as my #2 in all 3 of my serious money leagues, but he has shown me nothing.

I dropped Benson and picked up Lamont Jordan and Selvin Young. Don't know why someone dropped Jordan. Benson just looks like he is close to a serious benching, and the other Chicago RB's don't inspire confidence either.

You obviously have Benson colored glasses.He has played terrible, 27 carries 64 yards is Curtis Enis bad.
Sorry to hear that. He got me some points tonight tho. :pickle:

He's got60 yards and a TD against one of the best D's in football, im not greedy, I'll take that. What did you expect him to do against Green Bay considering they havent given up a rushing TD this year. :unsure:
For me, it's just the way he looks. I've watched him two weeks in a row now, and he seems unsure. He doesn't hit the hole with any authority, when he does hit the hole. I know GB has a good D, and Detroit has good DT's, but that still doesn't excuse how slow Benson looks once he gets the hand-off. I was completely sold on Benson before the year, have him as my #2 in all 3 of my serious money leagues, but he has shown me nothing.
I've watched every game he's played. He always looks like that. I tried to warn people at the beginning of the year. :shrug:

He's got60 yards and a TD against one of the best D's in football, im not greedy, I'll take that. What did you expect him to do against Green Bay considering they havent given up a rushing TD this year. :unsure:
I've watched every game he's played. He always looks like that. I tried to warn people at the beginning of the year. :shrug:
all this and he is still putting up better numbers than LJ . . .

I do think that Benson's physical running, while not effective in itself, wore down and tired out the GB line, which in turn allowed Griese some time to make some plays.

What did LT have against the Packers?

This comparison has never made any sense.

And Sjax, MJD, Maroney and TJ and on and on.....

Why do people bother comparing him to other backs having bad years? Benson looks like crap, 101 carries, 303 yards, that is absolutely horrible. Enough comparing, this is about Benson and he looks like dog doodoo.

As a Benson owner in redrafts I got him as depth A. and B. while he has been an overall disappointment this year, he seems to be getting a little better each week which is a pleasant surprise at this point.

And zero holes opened. :confused:
He's got60 yards and a TD against one of the best D's in football, im not greedy, I'll take that. What did you expect him to do against Green Bay considering they havent given up a rushing TD this year. :lmao:
I've watched every game he's played. He always looks like that. I tried to warn people at the beginning of the year. :lmao:
Numbers wise, sure, he is doing just enough to be my RB#2. I am fortunate in that my WR's are very solid, allowing me to run 3 WR to cover my flex. However, I see no potential for anything more than what Benson has provided. If he doesn't get a score, he's going to be single digits. I just don't see the explosion from him that it takes to have those big games, 125+ yds. He may fall into a multiple TD game at some point this year, but the yardage is gonna be tough sledding I fear, all year. He just isn't going to be the guy that you point to and say "I won this game because of him" at any time this year. Second round picks should have a game or two like that.

As a Benson owner in redrafts I got him as depth A. and B. while he has been an overall disappointment this year, he seems to be getting a little better each week which is a pleasant surprise.

Y'know, he's not hurt. He's gonna get the rock regardless. And he's good for a consistent 10 or so points per game.

If you have Benson on your team and you're losing he's not your only problem.

My 14 team, PPR, redraft team is 5-0 with him.

My money dynasty team was 3-0 when I traded him and Wes Welker for Edge James. The other team has won both games and I'm still undefeated.

Knowing his limitations, he CAN be effective on your team and somebody you CAN trade to the right person.

If you keep your expectations tiny, you'll go through life not being so whiny.

27 carries with a long of only 11 and after that I think his long was 6.

You CANNOT be a good FF running back if you average 3.1 yards a carry and NEVER break a long run.

I bet he doesn't have a run longer than 15 this season.

Somebody needs to put a rubber band around his balls before the game to get him pissed maybe then he will run mad. When he does then he could actually try and run over somebody instead of gong OB or hit a hole going full speed or break a tackle.

He's got60 yards and a TD against one of the best D's in football, im not greedy, I'll take that. What did you expect him to do against Green Bay considering they havent given up a rushing TD this year. :goodposting:
What did LT have against the Packers?
LT was Kijana Carter bad that day.

There is just no way anybody watching this offense can put the majority of the blame on Benson. This o-line hasnt been able to open any holes, all year long. Its pathetic.

I'm a Bears fan and have been lukewarm on Benson all year (and offseason). I knew he wasn't a game breaker, but thought he would be more effective grinding out games. I think his lack of vision and the lack of push by the o-line (all year) has led to his poor play. He doesn't cut back etc. with any skill, something Thomas Jones is great at. But Jones wasn't much of a downhill runner, which Benson is (they really were a great combo).

I think that Benson will eek out a 1k year and 8 TDs, but will have a YPC of around 3.6 by year end. Not what most of us Bears fans (or Benson FF owners) had hoped for.

I don't think his poor play can be totally chalked up to him sucking, as the line has been bad this year, but I think a good percentage of the blame is his. He simply isn't that good.

he's looking a little better, and as each week goes by, the defenses will get worn down a little more an his numbers will start to improve

I totally agree, and I have him in one league too and am regretting it. He is getting opportunities but looks slow and tentative. Yes, there were not a lot of great holes but when there were holes instead of bursting through for 7,8,9, 10 plus yards, he would get three or four.

And zero holes opened. :lmao:
He's got60 yards and a TD against one of the best D's in football, im not greedy, I'll take that. What did you expect him to do against Green Bay considering they havent given up a rushing TD this year. :thumbdown:

As many other posters have already said, Benson does not look good and never really has looked good during his short time in the league. He runs slow and has very little wiggle or shiftiness. He lacks vision. He looks powerful at times and then other times he gets tackled without much effort.

All that said, he's healthy unlike a lot of other #1 RB's and he will probably improve as the season progresses. Maybe it starts to click for him. I think he will improve before the year is done. But if you are in a Dynasty or Keeper league, I just don't see Benson as a guy you would want to build your team around. He clearly does not have the skillset required to be an elite NFL RB.

Benson did lead the way tonight.
Hate Hate HateYou do realize Benson's running is what the Packers were worried about and set up the game winning TD. The Offensive line has been horrid this season.....note John Tait didn't play tonite, Ruben Brown is 36 and so is Fred Miller. Young talented lineman are needed next offseason.

Hate Hate HateYou do realize Benson's running is what the Packers were worried about and set up the game winning TD. The Offensive line has been horrid this season.....note John Tait didn't play tonite, Ruben Brown is 36 and so is Fred Miller. Young talented lineman are needed next offseason.
Hey god bless Benson, He ran, and he ran and he ran. He is what he is - a barley servicable RB. 5 weeks into the season and he still looks below average. Should change your name to Briggs leads the way. He was far more valuable to the Bears than Benson tonight, hell anynight.

I agree, Angelo will address this need in the draft and free agency. We are an awful run blocking team, Any RB except for LT would look bad in this line. I'm assuming people actually know how football works and they understand the simple fundamentals of the game but when your O line does not open up holes for you I don't care who you are you are not going to run through 300 pound lineman. I saw this today and last week and prior to that too. I don't care what you football illiterates think or see.

Hate Hate HateYou do realize Benson's running is what the Packers were worried about and set up the game winning TD.

The Offensive line has been horrid this season.....note John Tait didn't play tonite, Ruben Brown is 36 and so is Fred Miller. Young talented lineman are needed next offseason.
I agree, Angelo will address this need in the draft and free agency. We are an awful run blocking team, Any RB except for LT would look bad in this line. I'm assuming people actually know how football works and they understand the simple fundamentals of the game but when your O line does not open up holes for you I don't care who you are you are not going to run through 300 pound lineman. I saw this today and last week and prior to that too. I don't care what you football illiterates think or see.
This will make your opinion more credible.

Hate Hate HateYou do realize Benson's running is what the Packers were worried about and set up the game winning TD.

The Offensive line has been horrid this season.....note John Tait didn't play tonite, Ruben Brown is 36 and so is Fred Miller. Young talented lineman are needed next offseason.
How bout the actual commentary on the post I quoted

How bout the actual commentary on the post I quoted
I've watched every game Benson has played since he's been in Chicago. He's no more or less to blame than the rest of the offense. The entire offense sucks. That being said, he does very little to give the team any kind of spark on offense. He's a mediocre back at best. As I and others have said, he's slow and can't break tackles very well. He also can't create anything on his own. Anyone watching the games can see this. Last year, it was because he wasn't given the full load, which was a lame excuse anyway. This year, it's because the line isn't blocking for him. When will any of the blame ever fall on Benson? Seriously

Make all the excuses you want, Benson sucks - O-Line, no O-line it dont matter. But hey all us Illiterates what do we know, should we mistrust our own eyes?. Should we see that plodding, head down, run into his own man, no cut back, no heart, Big "P" as a legitimate RB. Benson leads the Way? Get the F*** out of here. The Bears deserve better from a first round pick, much better. This is damn near as stupid as insisting that Brandon Finger Tip Tackle Jackson is going to be a Great RB for the Pack. Did he make a couple of good runs tonight, sure. But mostly he just ran into the pile. 2.2 yards a carry and a cloud of dust. Welcome back Enis, you are wounded duck SOB. I think J.J. Arrington may be a better back at this point. Give Benson a white cane and seeing eye dog, it will be the only way he runs to an open lane. Never ever seen a guy with less vision, of course if he would put his head up he might be able to see where the heck he was going. The O-line plays better when they have some idea of where the RB is going to run to, they are probably scared he is going to run right up thier backside and roll up on one of their ankles, ending their season and possibly their carreer. We know how football works were just not smoking the Benson Crack Pipe.

He seems pretty intent on running to where he's supposed to run, not looking and seeing if he cuts outside, he might be able to fall forward for 4 yards instead of 2.

I thought the play-calling Sunday night was bleh. Of course, I think most of the play-calling in the NFL is that way. I even kind of convinced my boss of it Sunday night when the Bears threw an incompletion on first down, called timeout and ran up the middle with Benson on 2nd-and-10 ... just as I predicted and as I see OVER AND OVER AND OVER in the NFL.

That said, I got my first legit offer for Benson after tonight's game. If I can massage it a little, I'll probably take it.

I'll pass it on when/if it happens.

Why do people bother comparing him to other backs having bad years? Benson looks like crap, 101 carries, 303 yards, that is absolutely horrible. Enough comparing, this is about Benson and he looks like dog doodoo.
the problem is that other high profile backs look just as bad . . . what is Bush doing nowadays??has Benson had a good year?? NO WAY, but even LT's first three weeks were putrid (in terms of ypc) and yet we're on page eight of Benson . . . where's LJ's ten page thread???obviously, most of these teams have OL issues, and anyone watching the games can see that. Benson doesn't break tackles?? It's pretty hard to break them when you have three or four guys on you every down - and he doesnt get tackled by his shoestring like Bush . . .does anyone notice why Benson continues to receive carries if he stinks??? Because Smith knows the OL is at fault . . . if he didnt think that way, then highly touted rookie Wolfe and backup Peterson would get more looks . . .

22 carries 50 yards.....TERRIBLE.Zero vision, zero explosiveness, zero heart.It looks like he isn't even trying to break a tackle.I hate this guy.
I think some people just look at the box scores and say a guy blows. I don't own Benson, but the issue is not Benson, it is the line. I thought Benson looked good yesterday, yes, good. he made some very nice shifty, fast and powerful moves. He ran hard. The issue is that there are no holes and he can't run downhill when he is dodging or breaking tackles behind the LOS. Two plays come to mind: 1) Griese does not audible and against an 8 man front and a blitz, he just hands the ball off to Benson who gets the ball just in time to be hit by 2 guys...loss of 3. The other one was where he gets the handoff and gets hit immediately (4 yards deep)but stays up as he moves across the line and then gets hit again, but keeps his balance and keeps moving towards the sideline and then drives forward just to get to the LOS. great zero yard run.Now, I am not saying that Benson is elite, but if you people do not think that the OL and the offense have A LOT (not a little) to do with the success of a RB, then you simply don't understand the game. Benson might be a fumbler and Benson is not a breakaway back either, but he could be a Rudi Johnson type of back if he had Carson Palmer and 2 excellent WR's pulling some of the attention away from the LOS. Case in point, I own Kenton Keith and at the expense of me losing trade value, the guy has very little. What he has are some good holes to run through and defenses that are totally trying to stop Manning. If people can't see that Benson is a lot better than this guy, well I said enough.Case in point 2, do you think LT is all of a sudden a much worse RB or do you think that maybe he is not looking as good because the OL hasn't played well (or the schemes)?

Serious question: Coming out of college what were the positives about Benson that made him such a highly regarded talent?
Not every team had him as highly regarded as the Bears. He was hyped because of his numbers, but some considered him to be lacking heart and a few thought he was Ricky Williams on a bad head trip day (Benson's eccentricity came across in the interviews). Benson had a very good offensive line at Texas that allowed him to run between the tackles, consistently get into the second level, and then punish smaller defenders with his size and strength (which was superior at the college level).The problem in the NFL is that the holes open and close faster than in college. And the linebackers and defensive backs are bigger, faster, and hit harder. Some guys never adjust to that.

Benson could be effective as a change of pace guy if paired with an elusive slasher type of runner that can wear down a defense (similar to Willie Parker and Najeh Davenport in Pittsburgh). But, unfortunately, the Bears aren't paying him the amount of money they have invested to be a change of pace guy and that is why he won't last here. That and fans in Chicago who fondly remember the days of Walter Payton will not stand for a guy that runs out of bounds and doesn't finish off plays. :popcorn:

Serious question: Coming out of college what were the positives about Benson that made him such a highly regarded talent?
As much as I think Benson isnot a real good NFL Back, he was a STUD in college, a complete Stud. He had holes the size of dump trucks to run through and he was fast. I dont think he was as good a college player as Ron Dayne, but he was a Fantastic College Back.

CEDRIC BENSON, Senior, Texas

BIO: 2004 Doak Walker Award winner and a unanimous All-Conference choice after posting 326/1,834/19 on the ground and adding 22/179/1 as a pass catcher. Junior totals included 258/1,360/21 after 305/1,293/12 as a sophomore. Originally broke the century barrier as a freshman when he burst onto the scene totaling 223/1,053/12. Has led Texas in rushing the past four years.

POSITIVES: Big, powerful ballcarrier who controls games or breaks them wide open. Patient back who displays vision at the line of scrimmage or down the field, waits for blocks to develop, then follows them. Possesses some wiggle and juke in his runs, sets up defenders, making them miss at the point. Runs with good lean, possesses excellent first step quickness and plays with outstanding balance and body control. Has a burst of speed, runs with authority and gets a good degree of momentum going. Very tough to bring down, squeezes through the small holes in the defense and at the same time a quick footed runner who avoids defenders. Quickly cuts back against the grain or slides off tackles. Strong, carries the pile and picks up close to 50 percent of his yardage off initial contact. Helps the quarterback sell play action passes, immediately becomes the hot receiver on blitz situations and possesses solid hands catching the ball.

NEGATIVES: Gives minimal attempts blocking. Seemingly goes down rather easily at times or finishes the play running out of bounds. Experienced fumbling problems this season. Made some very selfish comments prior to his junior campaign when asked to share the load at running back.

ANALYSIS: An outstanding athlete who gave up a career in baseball, Benson has all the physical skills to be a premier NFL back. Has the abilities to be a three-down player effective in passing situations. Must pick up the tempo of his blocking and does not always show a fire in his belly, yet when hitting on all cylinders a franchise running back.

PROJECTION: Early First Round

CEDRIC BENSON, Senior, Texas

BIO: 2004 Doak Walker Award winner and a unanimous All-Conference choice after posting 326/1,834/19 on the ground and adding 22/179/1 as a pass catcher. Junior totals included 258/1,360/21 after 305/1,293/12 as a sophomore. Originally broke the century barrier as a freshman when he burst onto the scene totaling 223/1,053/12. Has led Texas in rushing the past four years.

POSITIVES: Big, powerful ballcarrier who controls games or breaks them wide open. Patient back who displays vision at the line of scrimmage or down the field, waits for blocks to develop, then follows them. Possesses some wiggle and juke in his runs, sets up defenders, making them miss at the point. Runs with good lean, possesses excellent first step quickness and plays with outstanding balance and body control. Has a burst of speed, runs with authority and gets a good degree of momentum going. Very tough to bring down, squeezes through the small holes in the defense and at the same time a quick footed runner who avoids defenders. Quickly cuts back against the grain or slides off tackles. Strong, carries the pile and picks up close to 50 percent of his yardage off initial contact. Helps the quarterback sell play action passes, immediately becomes the hot receiver on blitz situations and possesses solid hands catching the ball.

NEGATIVES: Gives minimal attempts blocking. Seemingly goes down rather easily at times or finishes the play running out of bounds. Experienced fumbling problems this season. Made some very selfish comments prior to his junior campaign when asked to share the load at running back.

ANALYSIS: An outstanding athlete who gave up a career in baseball, Benson has all the physical skills to be a premier NFL back. Has the abilities to be a three-down player effective in passing situations. Must pick up the tempo of his blocking and does not always show a fire in his belly, yet when hitting on all cylinders a franchise running back.

PROJECTION: Early First Round
wow, i guess some things never change

CEDRIC BENSON, Senior, TexasBIO: 2004 Doak Walker Award winner and a unanimous All-Conference choice after posting 326/1,834/19 on the ground and adding 22/179/1 as a pass catcher. Junior totals included 258/1,360/21 after 305/1,293/12 as a sophomore. Originally broke the century barrier as a freshman when he burst onto the scene totaling 223/1,053/12. Has led Texas in rushing the past four years.POSITIVES: Big, powerful ballcarrier who controls games or breaks them wide open. Patient back who displays vision at the line of scrimmage or down the field, waits for blocks to develop, then follows them. Possesses some wiggle and juke in his runs, sets up defenders, making them miss at the point. Runs with good lean, possesses excellent first step quickness and plays with outstanding balance and body control. Has a burst of speed, runs with authority and gets a good degree of momentum going. Very tough to bring down, squeezes through the small holes in the defense and at the same time a quick footed runner who avoids defenders. Quickly cuts back against the grain or slides off tackles. Strong, carries the pile and picks up close to 50 percent of his yardage off initial contact. Helps the quarterback sell play action passes, immediately becomes the hot receiver on blitz situations and possesses solid hands catching the ball.NEGATIVES: Gives minimal attempts blocking. Seemingly goes down rather easily at times or finishes the play running out of bounds. Experienced fumbling problems this season. Made some very selfish comments prior to his junior campaign when asked to share the load at running back.ANALYSIS: An outstanding athlete who gave up a career in baseball, Benson has all the physical skills to be a premier NFL back. Has the abilities to be a three-down player effective in passing situations. Must pick up the tempo of his blocking and does not always show a fire in his belly, yet when hitting on all cylinders a franchise running back.PROJECTION: Early First Round
:towelwave: Good work digging it up!!

Users who are viewing this thread