What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday (2 Viewers)

Congrats. According to my data, this was a great move. 

Got my wife one for Christmas a few years ago. She used it three times and then we sold it to her friend for a thousand dollar discount.  I tried it once but realized I haven’t enjoyed riding bicycles since I was 15.

Good luck!

Bought one for Mrs O for Christmas a couple years ago after she said she wanted it. Sold it to one of her friends for half price a few months later. 

Scroll up good buddy 

It was a joke.  You had already posted the same thing twice in this thread.  That said, knowing you, you may have bought one of these twice and sold it to a a friend for a bill under market value.  

My studio ride on Sat will be my 700th, took my first on 12/30/16. 

Lots of folks bump their ride totals with 5 min warm-up/cool-down rides on either side of a 20 min ride (that's 3 "rides" :rolleyes: ). Not this guy! Zero of my rides have been for less than 30 min, avg duration is over 45, and I've ridden 70% of days over that 2 yr 8 mo span - which includes weeks off here and there for vacations/work travel. It's definitely become a bit more of a chore than it once was but the way I feel when I finish a ride keeps me getting back on it.

Lots of folks bump their ride totals with 5 min warm-up/cool-down rides on either side of a 20 min ride (that's 3 "rides" :rolleyes: ). Not this guy! Zero of my rides have been for less than 30 min, avg duration is over 45, and I've ridden 70% of days over that 2 yr 8 mo span - which includes weeks off here and there for vacations/work travel. It's definitely become a bit more of a chore than it once was but the way I feel when I finish a ride keeps me getting back on it.
I'll jump in live from Mississippi! 

And Congrats.  I know your 700 is legit.  

That is amazing!  At this point, I go in fits and spurts, ultimately averaging only around 2 rides a week.  But that's better than the zero rides a week I was doing before.  The wife is a regular user.  But you are a friggin' superstar!

Ok debating on getting one of these. I need to get in better shape and actually like the exercise bike but wonder if worth going all in like this. Any good way to test them out so I can decide?

Ok debating on getting one of these. I need to get in better shape and actually like the exercise bike but wonder if worth going all in like this. Any good way to test them out so I can decide?
Go here and see if they have a showroom near you.  You can book a time to try it out.  It's free and they provide the shoes.

What time?
Jess King absolutely kicked my ### this morning.  45 minute ride with way more intensity that the rides I did with Hannah Marie Corbin.  Completely drenched.  Great workout, but think I need to build up, especially for extended out of the saddle cycles.  So far we love it.  Wife did a 20 minute ride an hour later, then my daughter did a 45 minute hip hop ride.  Today it's the best investment we've made.  Don't know about tomorrow but it looks promising.  Friend told me I should start with Power Zone classes first.

Jess King absolutely kicked my ### this morning.  45 minute ride with way more intensity that the rides I did with Hannah Marie Corbin.  Completely drenched.  Great workout, but think I need to build up, especially for extended out of the saddle cycles.  So far we love it.  Wife did a 20 minute ride an hour later, then my daughter did a 45 minute hip hop ride.  Today it's the best investment we've made.  Don't know about tomorrow but it looks promising.  Friend told me I should start with Power Zone classes first.
I think Ally Love’s 30 minute rides are a decent intermediate level (and she’s got a great personality) before getting to the killer workouts. 

Yup, Power Zone classes are great. Take the Matt Wilpers 20 min FTP test to determine your zones and go from there. Wilpers and Jess King rides are 90% of what I do.

Great time at the studio. I was the first guy she called out and it was a good one, she called me “boo”.  :wub:

I will say I absolutely busted my hump but total output was much less (100+) than what the same effort would get me at home or work. There is a ton of variance in calibrations so take leaderboard standings w a grain of salt. Better to just measure progress vs your own past performances.

Yup, Power Zone classes are great. Take the Matt Wilpers 20 min FTP test to determine your zones and go from there. Wilpers and Jess King rides are 90% of what I do.

Great time at the studio. I was the first guy she called out and it was a good one, she called me “boo”.  :wub:

I will say I absolutely busted my hump but total output was much less (100+) than what the same effort would get me at home or work. There is a ton of variance in calibrations so take leaderboard standings w a grain of salt. Better to just measure progress vs your own past performances.
I take it you couldn't give (or maybe receive) hi-fives in the studio?  Or you were just being shady haha!  She did give you quite the shout out.  

Her rides are brutal.  I need to get on the bike more. 

I turn the leader board off now.   I think my bike has gotten a little out of whack since I bought it.  The first month I could hit 15 miles in a 45 min ride easy...now it takes all I got.  Then you have the guy that went over 1000 output.  What gives with those guys?  How is that even done?  

How do these rides compare to the real thing from a calorie standpoint?  For an enjoyment standpoint?

My benchmark ride is a 15 miler with some moderate hills to keep things interesting.  It is a pretty safe ride, mostly neighborhood streets and bike paths.  I'm out of the seat on hills but otherwise seated.  Hybrid bike (Cannondale), 20 years old now.  I paid about $500 for it new.  According to the random cycling app I put on my phone (Zeopoxa) I burn about 900 kcal on that ride, which takes an hour.  I love cycling outdoors, and to/from work.  I have a cheap eddy current resistance bike in the basement, purely for winter and maintenance, which isn't much fun but didn't cost much of anything.

jb1020 said:
I take it you couldn't give (or maybe receive) hi-fives in the studio?  Or you were just being shady haha!  She did give you quite the shout out.  

Her rides are brutal.  I need to get on the bike more. 

I turn the leader board off now.   I think my bike has gotten a little out of whack since I bought it.  The first month I could hit 15 miles in a 45 min ride easy...now it takes all I got.  Then you have the guy that went over 1000 output.  What gives with those guys?  How is that even done?  
I don’t think the calibration (from bike to bike or even between updates) is super consistent.

Just rode the ride. Great shout out right at the beginning. She knew right where you were. Nice!  Also, that ride kicked my ###. Set my output record for 45 minute rides. Granted, I haven’t done too many 45 minute rides, but still. 

And that person with a 1000 output just around 30 minutes in?  That’s absurd. 

Last edited by a moderator:
..we replaced our gym membership - where we would never go - with a Peloton treadmill....very cool and love using it as well as the stretching/lifting classes.....we have a regular bike and are looking at upgrading to the Peloton bike....good info in here - biggest for me is how rough is it to get used to the seat?  Ive taken spin classes before and the seat is so painful it almost ruins the workout lol.....also I see there are lock in shoes - worth it?  

Definitely using the at home stuff more than going to the gym - should pay for itself within 2-3 yrs even with the monthly membership

We just got a peloton for our building's gym, but the gym is on the ground floor and has a view of the building across the street.  It's not on a higher floor that has a view of the NYC skyline or in a garden or anything like that.  Will it even work if it's not in a place with an amazing setting or view?

Lots of debates with my friends on IPO day whether this stock will fly long term.  So I'm the one who goes to the gym several times a week anyway.  And I've been good about getting 3 rides a week on the Peleton on top of it.  (Ally Love is my favorite).  My wife and daughter? Not so much.   So I can see how this would turn into an expensive clothes hanger in some households.

We just got a peloton for our building's gym, but the gym is on the ground floor and has a view of the building across the street.  It's not on a higher floor that has a view of the NYC skyline or in a garden or anything like that.  Will it even work if it's not in a place with an amazing setting or view?
Does your company have a remote mountain cabin with big picture windows overseeing a snowy valley?  Perhaps they could move the Peleton there.

Does your company have a remote mountain cabin with big picture windows overseeing a snowy valley?  Perhaps they could move the Peleton there.
Unfortunately, no.  This one is in the gym in my apartment building, though.  I asked if we could move it to my vacation house in Tuscany, but the rest of the building wouldn't go for it.

..we replaced our gym membership - where we would never go - with a Peloton treadmill....very cool and love using it as well as the stretching/lifting classes.....we have a regular bike and are looking at upgrading to the Peloton bike....good info in here - biggest for me is how rough is it to get used to the seat?  Ive taken spin classes before and the seat is so painful it almost ruins the workout lol.....also I see there are lock in shoes - worth it?  

Definitely using the at home stuff more than going to the gym - should pay for itself within 2-3 yrs even with the monthly membership
Clip in shoes are worth it. The heart rate monitor and the terrible water bottle they bundle with the bike are not. 

As for the seat, it’s fine. I got a pair of padded bike shorts that I use occasionally, and always try to use them when I’m doing a 30 minute or longer ride. But I can ride without them.

Clip in shoes are worth it. The heart rate monitor and the terrible water bottle they bundle with the bike are not. 

As for the seat, it’s fine. I got a pair of padded bike shorts that I use occasionally, and always try to use them when I’m doing a 30 minute or longer ride. But I can ride without them.
Ditto on the heart rate monitor that comes with the bike.  It blows.  I just use the monitor on my AppleWatch, but it's not synced to the screen.  I was very worried about the seat when we purchased it, but haven't had any issues at all.  And you're up out of the seat a fair amount on most of the rides. 

good stuff

anyone have the treadmil....its really good but nowhere near the content of the bike...lousy music and not enough beginner modes (ie:couch to 5K program) - I know the bike has been out much longer....does the content build re music and more offering for beginners?  

Not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread but if anyone is going to purchase a bike make sure to get a referral code from someone that already has one.  You get $100.00 off of accessories which makes the shoes only $25.00.  The person referring get $100.00 to use on the overpriced Peloton Boutique which is where you can buy fancy Peloton workout gear.

Not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread but if anyone is going to purchase a bike make sure to get a referral code from someone that already has one.  You get $100.00 off of accessories which makes the shoes only $25.00.  The person referring get $100.00 to use on the overpriced Peloton Boutique which is where you can buy fancy Peloton workout gear.
Might be taking the plunge and getting one here. Does anyone know if they traditionally offer any Black Friday deals?

Might be taking the plunge and getting one here. Does anyone know if they traditionally offer any Black Friday deals?
Do it, its an amazing option to have.  I use daily when home and will try to find hotels that have them when I can when on road. 

The only Black Friday deal I think they have had is where they give you some free accessories if you purchase the bike.   Things like shoes, weights, headphones etc.  Last year was like a $229 value but IMO the headphones and heart rate monitor that came with it are crap.

anyway, if you take the plunge and dont have a referral code yet, use ES7JPV and you will get $100 off accessories.

Do it, its an amazing option to have.  I use daily when home and will try to find hotels that have them when I can when on road. 

The only Black Friday deal I think they have had is where they give you some free accessories if you purchase the bike.   Things like shoes, weights, headphones etc.  Last year was like a $229 value but IMO the headphones and heart rate monitor that came with it are crap.

anyway, if you take the plunge and dont have a referral code yet, use ES7JPV and you will get $100 off accessories.
Thanks  :thumbup:

No problem, let me know if you have any other questions. My name on there is Axle5454

(also, if you have a friend that has it, ask for their referral code rather than mine, since they will also get $100 to use in the online store)
Agree with everything you've said.  I'm hooked.  Bought the bike in July.  Am about to hit a 60 day streak of workouts (which is way more then I've ever worked out before) and am down 20 lbs (combined with trying to eat better.)  The weird thing for me is I don't dread the workout.  It seems to be by far the quickest 30, 45 or 60 minute workout I've ever done.  And I hate to say it but I'm addicted to getting the blue dot ( :)  ) every day that I do a workout.  

Lots of debates with my friends on IPO day whether this stock will fly long term.  So I'm the one who goes to the gym several times a week anyway.  And I've been good about getting 3 rides a week on the Peleton on top of it.  (Ally Love is my favorite).  My wife and daughter? Not so much.   So I can see how this would turn into an expensive clothes hanger in some households.
That's a little bit of my worry.

Is there a strong market for used Pelotons? How does the membership part work there? Thinking of it both from buying but also selling if it winds up not being used enough. 

Do you have any examples by chance? Wife has been asking to buy one for months. Thinking Xmas might be the right time. I could use it too.

Thanks 
I think any standard clip in cycle shoe works with the Peloton.  I'm sure Amazon has a fine pair for under $50 or so.  

You can flip the pedals upside down and use regular shoes, but its not the same workout.  Theres a push/pull method to pedaling.  

That's a little bit of my worry.

Is there a strong market for used Pelotons? How does the membership part work there? Thinking of it both from buying but also selling if it winds up not being used enough. 
From reading the Peloton reddit group there seems to be a very good market for used bikes.  Depending on how many rides and general condition of the bike I've seen people post that they've bought used ones for anywhere from $1500 all the way up to $2000.  Obviously a lot of it is location dependent but it seems like there are tons of people trying to save a couple hundred dollars by buying a used bike.  Supposedly the bikes don't last long when they do come up for sale.  This is all second hand knowledge as I've never tried to buy or sell a used bike but it made me feel better about my purchase when I was trying to decide whether to make the jump.

Holy crap man, you’re killing it on the output, how you doing it? 
Thanks man.  Probably a combo of things, Ive always been a pretty solid endurance athlete, I hate losing so as long as I am not in first (which is never on these things), im constantly pushing and I also weigh just over 200 lbs which helps big time when out of the saddle.  My scores are always pretty consistent across the 15 or different bikes I’ve ridden on since I end up in a lot of hotels on them.  I think the biggest thing on these things are just to compete against yourself though.  They really give you a great workout.

Do you have any examples by chance? Wife has been asking to buy one for months. Thinking Xmas might be the right time. I could use it too.

Thanks 
I have the Peleton shoes so I’m not sure. But I believe there was a previous discussion in this thread if you’ll go back and review it. If memory serves, you have to buy a shoe with a particular type of cleat for it to work with the Peleton. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Peleton shoes so I’m not sure. But I believe there was a previous discussion in this thread if you’ll go back and review it. If memory serves, you have to buy a shoe with a particular type of cleat for it to work with the Peleton. 
Payne, I have these and they work. When we bought our peloton bike, my wife got the shoes and cleats from them, and I would highly advise just doing that unless you already have shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009FTIH2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Users who are viewing this thread