What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

C.J. Spiller Hype(r) Train (1 Viewer)

I know this is the NFL, and I know that Spiller didn't face nearly as many talented defensive players in college as he will in the NFL. But watching the film on this guy, I can't help but be amazed at his talent. It's like he's running at a completely different speed than anyone else on the field. And don't get me started on his cuts and change of direction. Brilliant.

Since there are very few RBs in the league that receive a huge percentage of their team's carries (Peterson, Johnson, Jackson, MJD, Gore, Turner, etc.) we know that most teams use at least two RBs the majority of the time. So there is no doubt that Fred Jackson (and perhaps Lynch) will be involved in this offense.

Still, I can't help but think that Spiller is going to be a solid #2 RB this year with a chance at a low #1 upside. If you look at Carolina, there you have two extremely talented RBs. But DeAngelo is still being drafted in the first 24 picks of most drafts. So even if Spiller only touches the ball 15 times a game, I can't help but think this guy has a shot to break a long TD every time he touches the ball.

I know this is the NFL, and I know that Spiller didn't face nearly as many talented defensive players in college as he will in the NFL. But watching the film on this guy, I can't help but be amazed at his talent. It's like he's running at a completely different speed than anyone else on the field. And don't get me started on his cuts and change of direction. Brilliant. Since there are very few RBs in the league that receive a huge percentage of their team's carries (Peterson, Johnson, Jackson, MJD, Gore, Turner, etc.) we know that most teams use at least two RBs the majority of the time. So there is no doubt that Fred Jackson (and perhaps Lynch) will be involved in this offense.Still, I can't help but think that Spiller is going to be a solid #2 RB this year with a chance at a low #1 upside. If you look at Carolina, there you have two extremely talented RBs. But DeAngelo is still being drafted in the first 24 picks of most drafts. So even if Spiller only touches the ball 15 times a game, I can't help but think this guy has a shot to break a long TD every time he touches the ball.
I got sucked into the fbg hype bigtime this year. My main auction league i drafted best and spiller as my rb1 and rb2. Couldnt stop there, had to get finley as well... :moneybag:

I know this is the NFL, and I know that Spiller didn't face nearly as many talented defensive players in college as he will in the NFL. But watching the film on this guy, I can't help but be amazed at his talent. It's like he's running at a completely different speed than anyone else on the field. And don't get me started on his cuts and change of direction. Brilliant. Since there are very few RBs in the league that receive a huge percentage of their team's carries (Peterson, Johnson, Jackson, MJD, Gore, Turner, etc.) we know that most teams use at least two RBs the majority of the time. So there is no doubt that Fred Jackson (and perhaps Lynch) will be involved in this offense.Still, I can't help but think that Spiller is going to be a solid #2 RB this year with a chance at a low #1 upside. If you look at Carolina, there you have two extremely talented RBs. But DeAngelo is still being drafted in the first 24 picks of most drafts. So even if Spiller only touches the ball 15 times a game, I can't help but think this guy has a shot to break a long TD every time he touches the ball.
I don't think it is really fair to compare Spiller and Williams. Williams has already had a 1500 yard 20 TD season, plus 3 straight seasons averaging 5.0 ypc.

I got sucked into the fbg hype bigtime this year. My main auction league i drafted best and spiller as my rb1 and rb2. Couldnt stop there, had to get finley as well... :moneybag:
I had Finley on my dynasty team last year and had to drop him due to massive injury problems on my roster :wall: In my dynasty draft this year ($100 salary cap) I knew I wanted one of the big three (Matthews, Best, or Spiller). Another owner outbid me for Matthews ($31!!!) so I netted Spiller for only $11. Best went for a modest $17.

I don't think it is really fair to compare Spiller and Williams. Williams has already had a 1500 yard 20 TD season, plus 3 straight seasons averaging 5.0 ypc.
I agree. I didn't mean to imply that Spiller is as valuable as Williams. I think some people in this hobby obsess over drafting a guy who grabs the large majority of his team's carries. But unless you're drafting high in the first round, you can't get a guy like that. So my point was that Spiller can still net a bunch of fantasy points even if he's part of a platoon.

I agree. I didn't mean to imply that Spiller is as valuable as Williams. I think some people in this hobby obsess over drafting a guy who grabs the large majority of his team's carries. But unless you're drafting high in the first round, you can't get a guy like that. So my point was that Spiller can still net a bunch of fantasy points even if he's part of a platoon.
Ok, I am with you. I think Spiller is actually a great value where he is going.

Spiller joins Best and Finley as this year's most hyped players. But quite frankly, how can you watch Spiller's game tapes and not get excited? The guy is a freak.

Spiller joins Best and Finley as this year's most hyped players. But quite frankly, how can you watch Spiller's game tapes and not get excited? The guy is a freak.
I am actually buying the hype on all 3. I'd say the same thing about Best, every time he has touched the ball this preseason, he has looked electric.

I am actually buying the hype on all 3. I'd say the same thing about Best, every time he has touched the ball this preseason, he has looked electric.
Yes, the Bills and the Lions have been terrible teams of late. But part of what makes bad teams turn good is electric players. Best and Spiller are electric players.

I got Spiller with the 62nd pick....I love that I was able to land him there, but considering I had the 11th of 12 picks and Jonathan Stewart is my RB1, I sure hope CJ lives up to the hype.

Consider me on board!

......and off topic, but this money league draft was on Yahoo, and they have Best at 26th overall now (he ended up being autopicked by 1 of the 2 people that didnt show). Since you can get Spiller 2 rounds or so later in most drafts, I think he's a huge value comparatively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drafted Spiller at 6.09 in a 12 team league with 16 man rosters tonight (non ppr). He's my #3 behind Gore and Mendy so count me on board!!

I got Spiller with the 62nd pick....I love that I was able to land him there, but considering I had the 11th of 12 picks and Jonathan Stewart is my RB1, I sure hope CJ lives up to the hype. Consider me on board!......and off topic, but this money league draft was on Yahoo, and they have Best at 26th overall now (he ended up being autopicked by 1 of the 2 people that didnt show). Since you can get Spiller 2 rounds or so later in most drafts, I think he's a huge value comparatively.
The big difference between Best and Spiller is opportunity. The Lions have fully committed to Best being the man. The Bills have Jackson and Lynch and the coach hasn't come out with any kind of decision.

The Subway ad on my yahoo league homepage has a picture of Spiller on it saying their subs are "hotter than my 2 a days"

Could this have waited until after the draft :hophead:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Subway ad on my yahoo league homepage has a picture of Spiller on it saying their subs are "hotter than my 2 a days"Could this have waited until after the draft :lmao:
Huh? Link?
Pretty sure if I linked it you'd just get the yahoo fantasy area and a screen that says cannot view this league because youre not in it.Its a different ad at this time, but there is a 2 x 2 square Adchoices area near the top right of the league home screen. It was a Subway ad that had a picture of Spiller running in a Subway cutoff with a buffalo chickeck and jalapeno chicken melt sub next to him and in quotes "hotter than my 2 a days"Caught me off guard

Was amazed Spiller lasted till 10.06 in my league today with 10 teams. I already had AP, CedBen, and Foster at that point, otherwise would have snagged him too.

Took him again in a current Phenoms draft, round 5 this time. Paid more than a few weeks ago, but I think he lives up to that.

55th overall with the next RBs off the board being Reggie Bush, MBIII, Ricky Williams, and TJ....I'll gladly take Spiller there

Why does the Spiller Hype train have less than half the amount of cars as the Best Hype train?

Is the consensus that Best will have a better season? Spiller people worried about Jackson and Lynch? Punt and kick returns?

Why does the Spiller Hype train have less than half the amount of cars as the Best Hype train?Is the consensus that Best will have a better season? Spiller people worried about Jackson and Lynch? Punt and kick returns?
Oh, I took him at #60 in a redraft. Definitely the best option on the board.

Why does the Spiller Hype train have less than half the amount of cars as the Best Hype train?Is the consensus that Best will have a better season? Spiller people worried about Jackson and Lynch? Punt and kick returns?
Oh, I took him at #60 in a redraft. Definitely the best option on the board.
First draft two weeks ago: I took Spiller in round 7, Best went in round 5.Second draft last night: I look Spiller in round 5, Best went in round 3. I like Best this year simply because of touches, but think Spiller is definitely a comparable talent. I think Best's value shrunk significantly over the last month, and Spiller's has not shot up nearly as fast due to demand of touches. That being said, I still think Spiller could really impress this year.

For anyone doubting Spiller's role:

It may not carry great significance; then again, it might. The Buffalo Bills have listed rookie C.J. Spiller at the top of their running back depth chart in their game release for Sunday's Week 1 matchup against Miami - which will also be Spiller's NFL debut.

As BuffaloBills.com notes, the depth chart is deemed "unofficial" by the club. Furthermore, veterans Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch are both listed as second-teamers; Jackson may only be there due to his ongoing recovery from a preseason hand injury. We've always known that Spiller's role would be significant - in fact, it's looking likely that he'll be the focal point of the offense - but "starter" was not a term we ever really applied to the electric rookie.

Spiller is also the first-team kick returner - Jackson and Lynch show up there, too, along with Leodis McKelvin and Donald Jones - and the backup punt returner (Roscoe Parrish).

In the end, this probably doesn't mean much. Spiller was always going to play a lot, and his being atop an unofficial depth chart shouldn't diminish the roles that Jackson and Lynch are likely to get, either. Still, the Bills aren't being shy with Spiller; he's front and center in virtually every way imaginable. Just add this one to the growing list
.http://mobile.buffalorumblings.com/

For anyone doubting Spiller's role:

It may not carry great significance; then again, it might. The Buffalo Bills have listed rookie C.J. Spiller at the top of their running back depth chart in their game release for Sunday's Week 1 matchup against Miami - which will also be Spiller's NFL debut.

As BuffaloBills.com notes, the depth chart is deemed "unofficial" by the club. Furthermore, veterans Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch are both listed as second-teamers; Jackson may only be there due to his ongoing recovery from a preseason hand injury. We've always known that Spiller's role would be significant - in fact, it's looking likely that he'll be the focal point of the offense - but "starter" was not a term we ever really applied to the electric rookie.

Spiller is also the first-team kick returner - Jackson and Lynch show up there, too, along with Leodis McKelvin and Donald Jones - and the backup punt returner (Roscoe Parrish).

In the end, this probably doesn't mean much. Spiller was always going to play a lot, and his being atop an unofficial depth chart shouldn't diminish the roles that Jackson and Lynch are likely to get, either. Still, the Bills aren't being shy with Spiller; he's front and center in virtually every way imaginable. Just add this one to the growing list
.http://mobile.buffalorumblings.com/
This is nice, and I hope its true since I own the guy in both leagues I'm in, but I really only read speculation. I don't really read anything "official" by the team, not that I doubt you, just sayin'.

Coach Chan Gailey confirmed that C.J. Spiller will start against the Dolphins on Sunday.

Even if Fred Jackson (hand) is active, as expected, Spiller is going to be the focal point of this offense. Beat writer Allen Wilson expects the No. 9 overall pick to get "at least 20 touches" on offense, on top of his work on returns. Considering Spiller's game-breaking talent, he has the upside to put up monster numbers with this kind of workload. As Wilson says, Jackson and Lynch had "best prepare themselves for a lesser role on offense."

Gailey names rookie RB Spiller as starter over Lynch, JacksonAssociated Press

Published: Sept. 8, 2010 at 03:10 p.m. Updated: Sept. 8, 2010 at 01:36 p.m. Liked: 3 | Comments: 13 Email Like Print Read Discuss

By Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Ever since he was selected ninth overall in April's NFL Draft, running back C.J. Spiller has been unafraid to discuss how much he wants to play a role in turning around a Buffalo Bills franchise that's been an afterthought for much of the past decade.

He's getting a chance to start proving it.

Coach Chan Gailey on Wednesday picked Spiller as his starter this weekend, when the Bills open the season by hosting Miami. Gailey based his decision on the dynamic spark Spiller showed through much of the preseason by leading the team in scoring with three rushing touchdowns.

Gailey says Spiller would have gotten the nod as starter even if Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch, who split the starting duties last year, had not missed much of the past month with injuries.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Article on NFL.com - the bolded part stood out to me as to how much of a role Spiller is going to have. Gailey clearly wants him to be the main ball carrier out of the backfield.

Published: Sept. 8, 2010 at 03:10 p.m. Updated: Sept. 8, 2010 at 01:36 p.m. Liked: 3 | Comments: 13 Email Like Print Read Discuss

By Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Ever since he was selected ninth overall in April's NFL Draft, running back C.J. Spiller has been unafraid to discuss how much he wants to play a role in turning around a Buffalo Bills franchise that's been an afterthought for much of the past decade.

Coach Chan Gailey on Wednesday picked Spiller as his starter this weekend, when the Bills open the season by hosting Miami. Gailey based his decision on the dynamic spark Spiller showed through much of the preseason by leading the team in scoring with three rushing touchdowns.

Gailey says Spiller would have gotten the nod as starter even if Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch, who split the starting duties last year, had not missed much of the past month with injuries.

Article on NFL.com - the bolded part stood out to me as to how much of a role Spiller is going to have. Gailey clearly wants him to be the main ball carrier out of the backfield.
I'm very interested in seeing Dodd's revised projections. Their preseason projection numbers for Spiller were based on the fact that he was not the main ball carrier. Now that he is I wonder where he ranks.

By Associated Press

"But I thought he landed in a bad situation and will have to wait to be the main ball carrier"..................

By Associated Press

"But I thought he landed in a bad situation and will have to wait to be the main ball carrier"..................
:mellow:

I got sucked in on the hype as well. My other two leagues are a bit more competitive than my PPR draft last night so I ended up with Best, Spiller and M. Williams TB. I like all three of them where I got them based on who else was available. They are my RB2, RB3 (flex starter) and WR3, so they won't kill me if they don't explode, but if the bandwagons are correct on them, my team could roll. I think that is what I like about them. All three are the #1s on their team and all 3 could possibly end up top 12. All of them probably won't, but they have the talent and opportunity.

Huge upside on this guy. Where do people have him ranked this week? I can imagine 17 carries for 80 yards and 4 receptions for 30, and an outside chance of a TD. Who are you guys starting him over?

Huge upside on this guy. Where do people have him ranked this week? I can imagine 17 carries for 80 yards and 4 receptions for 30, and an outside chance of a TD. Who are you guys starting him over?
Strongly considering sitting Mendenhall for him (PPR). Honestly was very surprised where he showed in Dodds/Blooms rankings. Kinda tough to argue if he'll be "the guy" this week.

Anybody float any offers out to a spiller owner in your leagues? I'm wondering how cheap his price tag has become. If he doesn't do anything against GB this week, i think i'm going to move on him.

Anybody float any offers out to a spiller owner in your leagues? I'm wondering how cheap his price tag has become. If he doesn't do anything against GB this week, i think i'm going to move on him.
Some dude offered me Collie/Heap for my spiller/finley. That sums up how pathetic my week 1 was....

Some dude offered me Collie/Heap for my spiller/finley. That sums up how pathetic my week 1 was....
finley will be fine this week , spiller i dont know about, i think the bills are in for a long season........

Spiller was dropped in my league ... unfortunately I don't have room on my bench to pick him up. He still has value.

He's a hold for now. I'm hoping things get turned around in Buffalo a bit and this was his worst game. He can only go up from here. His talent is real....

I see the Bills under your name so I'm curious as to why you have any glimmer of hope for him.Their backfield is muttled with Jackson, Lynch, and SpillerEdwards is not very goodTheir schedule vs. the run is brutal this yearAnother poster suggested that Gailey is trying to save him like he did Charles last year, but my short term view for him is not very positive. If you were in my league, I'd probably trade him for scraps.

Terrible week 1, but considering that most people probably drafted him in the 5th-8th round, to trade him, or even drop him, after one week is just crazy. I would definitely advocate not starting him until he shows us something, though.

Spiller struggles in pro debutUpdated 9/12/10

Spiller, C.J. RB BUF

News: Bills RB C.J. Spiller got involved early in Buffalo's Week 1 loss to Miami, touching the ball six times on the first 11 plays, but couldn't find much room in the Dolphins defense. The rookie out of Clemson finished with 6 rushing yards on a team-high seven carries and 8 yards on four catches. "I know it's not the best I can play," Spiller said. "I've got to pick it up." Analysis: Spiller looked shifty on occasion Sunday, but he certainly got a good lesson about the speed of defenders in the pro game. His Fantasy owners also got a lesson regarding how Buffalo intends to use Spiller, who led the team in rushers, was second in targets behind Lee Evans and got his hands on the one returnable kickoff the Bills had. In Week 2, Spiller will take on the Packers, who have one of the more solid defensive units in the league. This poor opening performance from Spiller will mean a pretty big slip down the Fantasy rankings, so only consider him as a low-end flex option for Week 2.

Users who are viewing this thread