What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can We Civilly Discuss Thoughts On Vaccination? A Poll. (1 Viewer)

Where would you land among these descriptions?

• Vaccinated and no regret

Votes: 292 82.5%
  • Vaccinated but some regret

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Not Vaccinated and don't plan to

Votes: 32 9.0%
  • Not Vaccinated but considering it

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters
Would you also apply this same argument to influenza?  Should the government be mandating masks during flu season?  Should it mandate that everyone get a flu shot?
Well ...

Ramping up for an influenza response isn't crazy talk in a situation where an influenza strain comes significantly harder than the usual ones. I don't find "Would we do it for flu?" to be a compelling counteragument -- for one, neither COVID nor influenza is necessarily a single pathogen that acts in a reliable, predictable manner.

There you go. So now where does your safety extend to my ability to live a normal life when just existing in an open space threatens you? Perhaps if you want the safety, you can stay locked away while the rest of us who are assuming the risk for ourselves can get on with our lives. 

You want to live in a society with the rest of us humans? Gotta follow some rules.

My choices aren't harming the health of my community. Yours are.

If you want to go live in a society where you are free to infect people with whatever you want, that's up to you. I'm not sure what country that is but I'm sure there's a few out there.

You want to live in a society with the rest of us humans? Gotta follow some rules.

My choices aren't harming the health of my community. Yours are.

If you want to go live in a society where you are free to infect people with whatever you want, that's up to you. I'm not sure what country that is but I'm sure there's a few out there.
This is where it comes down to. Youve been told to believe the unvaccinated are plague and that they are the cause of all our problems now. Monsters.

And Again you say "free to infect people". I don't have control over infecting people any more than you do. Do you have control over whether people get wet when it rains or do people make their own choices on how to prevent getting wet?

I don't know the percentage, the important part is that COVID patients are starting to take up more and more of the beds.

But hey, like you said, it's a business! If a few people die waiting to get in, that just means business is doing well!
Right, but everyone always gives off the impression that every bed is covid when in reality hospitals aren't in the business to have a bunch of empty beds in the first place.  That's my point.  Compared to 97% the percentage of covid is going to be pretty low.

Good news is thanks to Trump we've got plenty of ventilators and space really never was an issue as we saw event centers, tents and boats being set up during the real first wave.  I think we'll be ok.  

This is where it comes down to. Youve been told to believe the unvaccinated are plague and that they are the cause of all our problems now. Monsters.

And Again you say "free to infect people". I don't have control over infecting people any more than you do. Do you have control over whether people get wet when it rains or do people make their own choices on how to prevent getting wet?

Nice strawman and all, but haven't we gone over this already?

Maybe you're hoping that I call you a monster. You've mentioned it twice now. I haven't.

But to me, it says a lot about why you are making this argument to begin with. That it's about culture and politics for you as opposed to facts.

And that's why you're refusing to admit the simple fact that humans can infect other humans with viruses.

No amount of mental backflips is going to change that very simple fact.

Well ...

Ramping up for an influenza response isn't crazy talk in a situation where an influenza strain comes significantly harder than the usual ones. I don't find "Would we do it for flu?" to be a compelling counteragument -- for one, neither COVID nor influenza is necessarily a single pathogen that acts in a reliable, predictable manner.
It's a compelling argument when it's never been done, not even close to the extent of this covid gaslighting.  It's just your what if. 

Nice strawman and all, but haven't we gone over this already?

Maybe you're hoping that I call you a monster. You've mentioned it twice now. I haven't.

But to me, it says a lot about why you are making this argument to begin with. That it's about culture and politics for you as opposed to facts.

And that's why you're refusing to admit the simple fact that humans can infect other humans with viruses.

No amount of mental backflips is going to change that very simple fact.

Selfish was the term being thrown around just prior to you showing up.  

Yes, if 600,000 Americans were dying a year from any of those things, I would support government mandates to get them under control.

Is that weird?
That 600,000 figure is mostly from the pre-vaccine era though.

Why are any mitigation measures mandatory now that people can get vaccines that essentially eliminate the risk of severe infection?

You just described every single western country from their founding all the way up to around March of 2020.

Why are any mitigation measures mandatory now that people can get vaccines that essentially eliminate the risk of severe infection?

Because people are refusing to get the vaccines.

If we were 90% vaccinated, I wouldn't need to wear a mask at work again like I do now.

You just described every single western country from their founding all the way up to around March of 2020.

What?

Every single American that went to public school had to show proof of vaccination before being allowed to attend.

This has been true for nearly a century.

If we were 90% vaccinated, I wouldn't need to wear a mask at work again like I do now.
Okay, fair enough.  I've mentioned elsewhere that I would support vaccine mandates before I would accept mask mandates, so there's a pretty good chance that you and I are at least on adjacent pages even if we're not on the exact same page.

In your odd all or nothing talking points, sure I guess your choices are locking yourself in your basement and not infecting somebody or going outside and having the chance of infecting somebody.   If only it was so black and white.   

What you do have control over is drastically reducing the odds of infecting somebody through your actions.     You have control over staying a decent distance from somebody, putting a mask on, getting the vaccination, informing people if you have symptoms, etc...  combining all those things drastically decreases your odds of infecting somebody.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a compelling argument when it's never been done [for the flu] ...
So what? If circumstances change, you change tack. Keep in mind I was specifically referring to a case where a flu strain came in significantly "hotter" than normal -- not a "flu as usual" situation.

Your post reads as though only unvaccinated people can transmit COVID.  That is not accurate.   
Skoo is right. In a society where 90% of the people are vaccinated, there would be some COVID spread but much diminished from what we have now. Both in rate of transmission and in severity of symptoms.

I'm not sure who here has said what in the various COVID threads, so I'll post in general: There is a thought out there that "since vaccinated people 'can get COVID!'", COVID spreads through a vaccinated population in pretty much the same way and rate it spreads through an unvaccinated population. This is flatly untrue.

I agree the reach 70% vaccine for herd immunity goal posts have moved
Herd immunity is not and has never been a firm, known-in-advance percentage. Herd immunity is instead a condition that can only be reliably ascertained after the fact. Furthermore, the different properties of individual strains (esp increases in replication rate) change how and when herd immunity is reached.

Herd immunity is not and has never been a firm, known-in-advance percentage. Herd immunity is instead a condition that can only be reliably ascertained after the fact. Furthermore, the different properties of individual strains (esp increases in replication rate) change how and when herd immunity is reached.
So you indiscriminately bumped it up to 90%.  Nice work.

Not enough people have gotten the vaccinations to date. A society has to get vaccinated, not just a collection of individuals.
Okay.  What if it turns out that herd immunity is mathematically impossible?  Masks forever?  Or at some point do we decide that enough is enough and vaccinated people can get back to their lives?

Okay.  What if it turns out that herd immunity is mathematically impossible?  Masks forever?  Or at some point do we decide that enough is enough and vaccinated people can get back to their lives?
Herd immunity is always mathematically possible. It's just a matter of how we collectively get there.

I don't share the idea that "masks" run counter to "getting back to our lives". You wear masks situationally and you otherwise mitigate until it's time not to. I wouldn't agree that we need a firm timetable for that in advance.

Masks might be a new normal.  I wear one when I can and I'm living my life just fine.  I'm also vaccinated, but recognize that I could catch and transmit COVID to people who haven't been vaccinated and they could, in turn, fill up our small rural hospital taking away beds from others with serious health issues.  Exceeding hospital capacity is the health crisis IMO.

I find that I'm having a difficult time following covid-related arguments now.  When somebody upthread mentioned "radical authoritarians," I thought "Oh, he must be talking about those videos coming out of Australia."  It never occurred to me that he might be referring to mandatory vaccination in schools.  That's not meant as a criticism of that poster, which is why I'm not calling him out here.  It's just that people's opinions on this topic are now officially so all-over-the-place that it's hard to tell what people are talking about based on just the little snippets that get posted.

Back in the olden days of, say, six months ago, this was easy.  Everybody was -- to a rough approximation -- either a covid hawk or a covid dove.  The former took covid very seriously and were broadly supportive of masks and lockdowns, while the latter didn't view it as a major threat and generally opposed most mitigation measures.  Now, though, there are a bunch of different camps that overlap with each other on some topics but not others.  

Like people who are pro-vaccination but disagree on whether vaccination should be mandatory.  When you add in the existence of people who are anti-vaccination, this conversation becomes a lot more difficult to keep straight.

Or like people who are vaccinated but disagree on whether masking makes sense.  Again, adding in the anti-vaccination folks complicates this discussion, as does the technically separate issue of whether masks should be mandated or not.  

Or like the various overlapping discussions about mitigation measures in K-12 schools vs. mitigation measures in adult spaces.  (This one tends to get me -- I often find myself typing up an "anti-mask" response to a poster only to realize that they were just talking about masking in schools, which I don't really have a stance on).  

Not sure if anybody else has noticed this or not.  Just that the conversation seems more chaotic to me than it was just a few months back.

This was why I laid out my stance on the 4 major issues (vaccines, masks, distancing, schools)*  There's a matrix here with folks in different buckets.  I honestly have no issue with anybody in that matrix save the people who aren't vaxxed, are anti-vax and are spreading propaganda about the vaccination and the pandemic.  Those people deserve our ire because they are on some (small) level responsible for this mess.

*There's probably more but those are the 4 I focused on.

Not enough people have gotten the vaccinations to date. A society has to get vaccinated, not just a collection of individuals.

This is the crux of the problem and why I get so frustrated by the never-ending mask debates - none of us would even have to consider a mask if the unselfish folks would just get the shot.  But instead they spout the nonsense like the last couple of pages which is easily refuted.  I don't want to wear a mask, I don't want anybody to have to wear a mask, I don't want to limit capacity at events or keep kids out of school or people out of work.  Just get the damn shot.

This is the crux of the problem and why I get so frustrated by the never-ending mask debates - none of us would even have to consider a mask if the unselfish folks would just get the shot.  But instead they spout the nonsense like the last couple of pages which is easily refuted.  I don't want to wear a mask, I don't want anybody to have to wear a mask, I don't want to limit capacity at events or keep kids out of school or people out of work.  Just get the damn shot.

How convenient for you and others to say that you don't want to wear masks or social distance, and instead keep searching for the unvaxxed boogeymen to blame. Heres something you won't like to hear: your expedient end-all solution isn't enough unless it's boosters in perpetuity - boosters that may not even work in the long run - boosters that are harming people...

https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data

Anyone who says they don't/won't wear masks or socially distance, but supports forcing people from their jobs or schools for not taking experimental drugs permanently into their bodies is being extremely hypocritical. You have become blinded by your Covid frustrations, and you are looking for the easy solution that simply doesn't exist (yet).

I'd prefer to get rid of mask mandates, but the one place I think they should be mandated is K-12 if the school has a population of kids where the vaccine is not available.  Young kids are a demographic, through no fault of their own, that are unable to vaccinate.  

So many examples throughout history where it was prudent to be skeptical of 'experts'. Your statement is dangerously myopic.
It's a little easier if you go with the consensus and look at their actions. Ie if 90% of doctors recommend the vaccine, and 90%+ also have gotten the vaccine...  I am guessing you are going to be right waaaaayyyyyyy more often than rolling with the outliers.  

Also too often sources find 'experts' that might be doctors, but don't currently practice, contagious diseases might not be their specialty, and not all doctors are top of their class.  

We see the exact same thing with global warming.  

I've already talked about my thoughts on masks but assuming there was a hypothetical mask mandate where I live (there never will be one again until a new more deadly virus appears - you can book that) I would probably be in favor of either waiting until all kids are eligible or the case count gets low again.

I'm more interested in your first part though - herd immunity.  I have several thoughts on this:

• We heard a lot about this early on and even in to the worst of the pandemic but I don't really hear much about it any more - is it because of variants and we just think we will never really get there??
  • I think there was so much talk about it that many younger people decided - hey, I wont' get the vaccine - we will get to herd immunity and then no one will bother me.  Well, too many people decided that or are anti-vax or nuts or whatever.  Some places will get closer than where I live but it's going to be much more a combination of natural plus vaccination for it to happen
  • As I just mentioned, Georgia is around 50% vaccinated.  That number isn't going to change much short of business, schools, etc. requiring it or Delta or some other variant just continues to burn through the population.  Right now we supposedly have had about 12% of the state get Covid.  I would be willing to be the number is closer to 30% - between kids, asymptomatic and people just refusing to get tested.  Obviously there will be overlap between vaccinated and having had it so let's say that's 10% (I'm making up some of these numbers for illustration purposed) - That would have us around 70% in the herd immunity game.  I think the worst infectious disease is around 90% needed for herd immunity so we have 20% to go or 2.6M people.  At our current rate of around 10k cases a day it would still take 260 days to reach herd immunity.  That would be about spring/summer of next year.
In all honesty, that's what I've been prepared for - spring/summer of 2022 for this to no longer be front of mind everyday and a huge discussion point.  Some places that are vaccinating faster are lucky and should get there sooner but that's the time period I've mentally prepared myself for as of now.  My biggest fear outside of some of my family that isn't vaccinated dying is a variant that takes us back to almost square one.  That would be horrific and I don't even like contemplating what that could mean for our society.

Is this true for FL, TX, GA, ie the states having issues now?
We are just barely over 50% for full vaccinations in the state of Florida. This is the problem with the talking point of %s because the reality is, that % is likely different for different parts of the country who have different circumstances and demographics.

Not to be Dr. Doom and Gloom but I am seriously thinking this will we always be at.  new strains, mutations, boosters, etc....We will be dealing with this for a LONG TIME...Maybe forever.   And yeah we may have to get to a point where we just say deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd prefer to get rid of mask mandates, but the one place I think they should be mandated is K-12 if the school has a population of kids where the vaccine is not available.  Young kids are a demographic, through no fault of their own, that are unable to vaccinate.  
I wanna know why.  We can vaccinate against all sorts of things, at early ages, why not COVID?   That simple thing doesn't make any of you question the safety of the shots?  At all?  It does me.  And I have had my shots.

I wanna know why.  We can vaccinate against all sorts of things, at early ages, why not COVID?   That simple thing doesn't make any of you question the safety of the shots?  At all?  It does me.  And I have had my shots.
I think this has been one of the most ridiculous and perplexing failures of the vaccine rollout. It does not make me question the safety. 

I think this has been one of the most ridiculous and perplexing failures of the vaccine rollout. It does not make me question the safety. 
Yeah, the ineptitude of our FDA isn't unique to this vaccine.  Not sure why we'd project their ineptitude onto the efficacy/safety etc of the vaccines themselves.  

It’s likely a dosing issue that they didn’t want to hold up the initial approval. At 18 or 16 you can pretty much consider them adults and dosing adjustments wouldn’t likely be needed. It might end up being the same dosing for the younger kids but if they did all ages at once they run the risk of delaying the approval. Just think if Pfizer or Moderna were delayed 3 or 6 months not old from the business standpoint but also the lives likely saved. The same is true about storage conditions and expiration dates, the companies went conservative on all of that to avoid delaying approval and gradually gotten more favorable conditions approved.

Users who are viewing this thread