What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (14 Viewers)

You know, if the Browns love Njoku so much, they could have used him the last few years. --Njoku owner
Constant stream of bad takes on Njoku have been proven wrong but more importantly the Browns GM has shown prescience.
AB was ahead of the curve and has been many times and he deserves credit.
-------------------
Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_
His contract was spectacular. The Browns are SAVING money against the cap because of it. Njoku has been great. Plenty of folks **** on both.
PFF CLE Browns@PFF_Browns
David Njoku this season:
1f7e4.png 79.4 PFF grade (3rd)
1f7e0.png 81.9 REC grade (2nd)
1f7e4.png 24 REC (5th)
1f7e0.png 289 REC YDs (5th)
1f7e4.png 156 YAC (3rd)
1f7e0.png 5 contested catches (1st)
1f7e4.png 17 first downs (3rd)
The breakout year is real 1f624.png

17 total touches between Chubb and Hunt. Brissett with 45 attempts. But Stefanski’s playcalling isn’t the problem. Ok.

BTW- it wasn’t just the score. First half- Brissett -16 attempts
Chubb/Hunt- 11 attempts

Last edited:
There's a lot of shade being thrown on the DTs in this thread, rightfully so. As a group they are clearly sub par. But, I have actually been encouraged by some of the play I have seen out of Winfrey. I guess I just wanted to point out that the LB crew is just as bad. That loss of Walker was bigger than most realize. Add it up and clearly stopping the run is problematic. However, I sort of saw that coming. The biggest disappointment for me defensively is the lack of communication and effort, yes I said effort, from the defensive backfield. Opposing pass catchers are open more often than Denny's. I really thought this, in conjunction with a decent pass rush, would be a defensive strength going into the season. Making it worse is that it seems to unravel at clutch times...3rd and long...end of game...etc. These guys can't close.

On another note, I still can't figure out why we went for 2 when we were down by 9. There was like 6 1/2 minutes left at that point. Kick the damn ball. Make it a one possession game. Then you don't need to rely on a low percentage onside kick...kick away, make a D stop, maybe use a timeout or two if needed, and get the ball back with a few minutes left. Go for the 2 pointer if you can manage to score again. Why risk leaving yourself a 2 possession game late in the 4th??

Deion trade... Deion isn't a cure-all. He's 'best' defending the pass and is hit-or-miss in the run game but he's worlds better than Jacob Phillips ... Add, from what I've heard the Falcons have to eat the dead cap on the bulk of Jones' contract this year which means its basically a one-year million-dollar deal for us and the comp was a 6th in 2024 where we get a 7th back that year so basically NOTHING...
Better trade than I realized. We agreed to chop the last year of his contract, a savings of $13 million.
We 'may' even get a comp pick.
--------------------------------------------
Browns, Deion Jones agree to terminate last year of deal after trade
... Jones was scheduled to make over $13 million in 2023
... If Jones packs his bags and signs elsewhere in free agency, then he becomes a piece of the compensatory pick formula.
And for all of the 'just run the ball' or 'It's all Stefanski's problem' crowd.
First two runs we got 15 yards and 1 first down.
Next 10 runs, this is what we were able to get out of the running game.
27 yards. Ten times, zero rushing first downs.
  • 2nd & 10 at CLE 40​

(6:01 - 1st) N.Chubb right guard to CLV 40 for no gain (Ca.Davis).
    • 1st & 10 at NE 27​

(5:03 - 1st) D.Peoples-Jones right end to NE 25 for 2 yards (K.Dugger).
  • 1st & 10 at NE 27​

(0:15 - 1st) (No Huddle) N.Chubb left tackle to NE 24 for 3 yards (C.Barmore).
  • 2nd & 7 at NE 24​

(15:00 - 2nd) (Shotgun) N.Chubb left guard to NE 23 for 1 yard (C.Barmore).
  • 4th & 1 at NE 18​

(13:56 - 2nd) (No Huddle) J.Brissett right guard to NE 18 for no gain (M.Judon).
  • 1st & 10 at CLE 13​

(11:34 - 2nd) (Shotgun) N.Chubb right guard to CLV 15 for 2 yards (D.Wise).
  • 1st & 10 at CLE 27​

(10:19 - 2nd) N.Chubb left end to CLV 33 for 6 yards (A.Jennings).
  • 1st & 10 at CLE 48​

(8:39 - 2nd) N.Chubb left tackle to NE 49 for 3 yards (K.Dugger).
  • 1st & 10 at NE 38​

(1:13 - 2nd) (Shotgun) K.Hunt right end to NE 29 for 9 yards (M.Judon, D.McCourty).
Longest run with 1:13 left in a two-minute drill where the Pats dropped their safeties.
  • 1st & 10 at CLE 25​

(11:22 - 3rd) N.Chubb right guard to CLV 23 for -2 yards (M.Judon).
  • 1st & 10 at CLE 36​

(10:13 - 3rd) (No Huddle) K.Hunt right tackle to CLV 37 for 1 yard (M.Judon, M.Wilson).
Pats went up 24-6 so Belichick wanted us to run the ball/clock and adjusted his defense to bait us into running.
  • 1st & 10 at CLE 19​

(2:13 - 3rd) N.Chubb right tackle to CLV 24 for 5 yards (D.Ekuale, M.Bryant).
  • 1st & 10 at CLE 45​

(1:12 - 3rd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) N.Chubb right tackle pushed ob at NE 37 for 18 yards (M.Bryant).
  • 1st & 10 at NE 20​

(6:50 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) N.Chubb left tackle to NE 15 for 5 yards (S.Roberts). NE-D.Wise was injured during the play. His return is Probable.
Total 28 yards on the FINAL THREE runs when we were down significantly and Belichick wasn't defending the run, he wanted us to run, run out the clock because he's Bill Belichick and is the best DEFENSIVE/CLOCK MANAGING HC in the league by far.
The running game WAS NOT WORKING. Belichick has inside knowledge because he coached Brissett and dared him to pass because he knows how to defend him. He knew we'd sell-out with our run defense to stop his rushing attack so he took what we gave him in the passing game where he kept hammering at Phillips short zone and our rookie CB because DENZEL WARD was out.
It's not simple game of checkers where Yahoos calling for more runs and Stefanski's head are the smartest people in the room, but it certainly is not astrophysics.
And our DTs still suck.

Last edited:
The biggest disappointment for me defensively is the lack of communication and effort, yes I said effort, from the defensive backfield.
Agreed. I accepted preseason it is what it is with our run defense, but if this defense pressures the QB to put their talented secondary in position to make plays then those deficiences can be masked until (if) the young guys up front developed. What's transpiring in the secondary is hilarious because I laugh as a coping mechanism.

On another note, I still can't figure out why we went for 2 when we were down by 9.
If you're going to have a realistic shot at winning you'll need to go for 2 eventually, so the sooner you know the outcome the more informed approach you have to the final 6 minutes. i.e. I think it's highly likely with a conversion an onside kick would not have been attempted.

i was out of town and decided not to try to find somewhere to watch the game.

best decision i've made regarding this team in a long time.

i may try it again this weekend.

If you're going to have a realistic shot at winning you'll need to go for 2 eventually, so the sooner you know the outcome the more informed approach you have to the final 6 minutes. i.e. I think it's highly likely with a conversion an onside kick would not have been attempted.
I understand that a 2 pt. conversion was needed at some point. IMO, the best approach is to get it to a one possession game. I know a kick is not a sure thing, but it's a much higher percentage than going for 2. If I am a player on that team, I still have hope in a one possession game with 6 minutes left. I lose confidence in knowing we still need two possessions to have a chance with so little time left.

I understand that a 2 pt. conversion was needed at some point. IMO, the best approach is to get it to a one possession game. I know a kick is not a sure thing, but it's a much higher percentage than going for 2. If I am a player on that team, I still have hope in a one possession game with 6 minutes left. I lose confidence in knowing we still need two possessions to have a chance with so little time left.
Agree, and puts more pressure on the other team

That is 4 1/2 minutes and 3 more timeouts than the Jets had, but that's beside the point. What happens when we miss the 2 later? No matter when you go for 2 and don’t get it, you would need an extra possession. You would rather know that with 6 minutes left instead of 2.

Last edited:
...I have absolutely no idea how many games the Browns win this year.
Began this season without any expectations.
The schedule gets much harder.
------------------------------------
Jake Trotter@Jake_Trotter
Should add, the #BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png now have THE toughest remaining schedule in NFL (Browns had played the second-easiest schedule to this point)
According to FPI, #BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png now have an 11.7% chance to make the playoffs, 13th best odds in the AFC (ahead of the Texans, Broncos, Steelers)
The #BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png are 2-4 after facing QBs Baker Mayfield, Joe Flacco, Mitchell Trubisky, Marcus Mariota and Bailey Zappe (who just cooked them for 300+ though the air).
Cleveland is now about to face Lamar, Burrow, Tua, Allen and Brady over the next five games…

Last edited:
watched Fail Army with the kids and my parents on Sunday while checking the score occasionally.

i imagine that experience wasn't much different than actually watching the game.

told my wife i may watch the next game since it was Monday Night Football. she reminded me it was Halloween.

i think i may finally be free from the Browns.

good luck everyone. make sure to turn out the lights when you leave.

Cleveland Browns Lose LB Jacob Phillips for Season, Updates on David Njoku and Denzel Ward
...Hope that was a good learning opportunity for Jacob Phillips cause he's gonna need to be a lot better than that!
Lol, didn't even need to watch the film to pull the trigger and send Phillips back to the bench. I'm not expecting much from Deion Jones, but if he can just get to the right gap that'll unfortunately be an improvement.
Noticed on Sunday that Jones finally saw the field. Jacobs was getting pushed all over the field, not sure if that was due to his injury or not but Deion will get his shot going forward.

Now that Phillips is down with another loss might that be the end of the line for Greedy Williams...Taven Bryan...John Johnson...Kareem Hunt...Chris Hubbard...Joe Haeg...who else? I shoulda gotten onboard with @amnesiac earlier this month...

Now that Phillips is down with another loss might that be the end of the line for Greedy Williams...Taven Bryan...John Johnson...Kareem Hunt...Chris Hubbard...Joe Haeg...who else? I shoulda gotten onboard with @amnesiac earlier this month...
is that 8% chance of making the playoffs making you nervous?

i just hope they don't fire everyone at the end of the season. i don't think starting completely over again is the answer.

but then again, you never know for sure.

i just hope they don't fire everyone at the end of the season. i don't think starting completely over again is the answer.
We'll see what shakes out if agendas take priority over the next 2 1/2 months. High level I agree with you, but I'm getting Pettine-O'Neill vibes with Stefanski-Woods. It's different in that O'Neill was in over his head whereas the players appear to just not be listening to Woods, but the outcomes are not tangibly different. We have an ineffective defense that coaching appears to be loyal to and due to that lack of accountability (and a other key issues) is losing or has already lost the locker room. With a primetime game hosting an ascending division front runner in front of a bye on the heels of a 4 game losing streak barring a sudden course correction we may be on the brink of a mutiny...if we aren't already.

We'll see what shakes out if agendas take priority over the next 2 1/2 months. High level I agree with you, but I'm getting Pettine-O'Neill vibes with Stefanski-Woods. It's different in that O'Neill was in over his head whereas the players appear to just not be listening to Woods, but the outcomes are not tangibly different. We have an ineffective defense that coaching appears to be loyal to and due to that lack of accountability (and a other key issues) is losing or has already lost the locker room. With a primetime game hosting an ascending division front runner in front of a bye on the heels of a 4 game losing streak barring a sudden course correction we may be on the brink of a mutiny...if we aren't already.
i assume Woods lost the locker room weeks ago.

do you think Stefanski has as well?

PFF College
@PFF_College
Top defensive rooks from Preseason Week 1
1f4a5.png

==============================================
LINK
The above was from the first preseason game.
Emerson was the 16th defensive back taken. In total, 35 defenders were drafted before him.
We traded DOWN from the 2nd round to pick up the 68th pick. By trading down we got Martin Emerson in the 3rd round and with the additional picks from the Texans we landed CB K Cade York and DT Perrion Winfrey.
=============================================
Cleveland Browns Trade Out of Second Round in Move with Houston Texans
The #Browns get 68, 108 and 124 from the #Texans, who move up to 44 in this trade
Jason_OTC@Jason_OTC

Great trade for the #BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png. You shouldnt get this kind of value outside the 1st round
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is current grading of ALL NFL rookie defenders, not just DBs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Duffin
@JackDuffin
Oct 24

PFF Rookie Defender Rankings for 2022
1 - CB Jones
2 - CB Gardner
3 - ED Williams
4 - DT Davis
5 - CB Emerson Not bad for the 68th pick of the NFL Draft 1f525.png One that my analytics guardrails board loved and I was keeping an eye on all offseason 1f440.png
==================================
Marcus Jones was taken 6 picks after Emerson.

3​
4​
68​
Martin Emerson
Browns​
Mississippi State​
17​
3​
15​
79​
JT Woods​
Chargers​
Baylor​
18​
3​
17​
81​
Cordale Flott​
Giants​
Louisiana State​
19​
3​
21​
85​
Marcus Jones
Patriots​
Houston​
Sauce Gardner was taken with the 4th pick of the draft.
2022​
1​
1​
3​
3​
Derek Stingley​
Texans​
Louisiana State​
2​
1​
4​
4​
Ahmad Gardner​
Jets​
Cincinnati​
EDGE pass rusher Sam Williams was drafted in the 2nd round with the 58th pick by the Cowboys.
56​
Sam Williams​
Cowboys​
Mississippi​
DT Jordan Davis was drafted in the 1st round with the 13th pick by the Eagles.
1​
1​
13​
13​
Jordan Davis​
Eagles​
Georgia​
Emerson is better than I could have imagined when we took him. He isn't just a 'decent' DB he's one of the best defensive rookies in the league.
Compare the Emerson pick with all of the players taken before him in the AFCN this year.
Baltimore was LOADED with high draft picks with two 1st round selections and a 2nd.
So-far only Linderbaum has started and played well.
YearNo.RoundPickPlayerNamePositionCollege

Baltimore Ravens (see pre-1996 Cleveland Browns)​

2022​
1​
1​
14​
14​
Kyle Hamilton​
DB​
Notre Dame​
2​
1​
25​
25​
Tyler Linderbaum​
C​
Iowa​
3​
2​
13​
45​
David Ojabo​
LB​
Michigan​
Matt Wise
@TheMattWise

It's REALLY good when you're not hearing the name of your rookie center during the game. Early returns on Linderbaum are fantastic.

Cincinnati Bengals​

2022​
1​
1​
31​
31​
Daxton Hill​
DB​
Michigan​
2​
2​
28​
60​
Cam Taylor-Britt​
DB​
Nebraska​
Neither of the Bengals top picks are starting.

Pittsburgh Steelers​

2022​
1​
1​
20​
20​
Kenny Pickett​
QB​
Pittsburgh​
2​
2​
20​
52​
George Pickens​
WR​
Georgia​
Pickett is 'starting' but its too early to tell if he'll turn out or not.
Pickens has flashed and looked great but he's not starting.
We didn't have a 1st round pick and traded DOWN to get additional picks and Emerson has been playing well.
We are keeping pace with rest of the division and Watson will see the field later in the season.

What did we expect?? Jacoby Brissett?? Cmon
how many of the 5 losses do you believe are mostly due to the QB play?
2 or 3. He's been terrible late in games. I mean TERRIBLE.
Also, it's not like he's been special earlier in games either.
"Good" QB play and I'm confident we are 5-2, maybe better.
ok, i could meet you halfway at 2.

let me ask you another question, is Brissett's function to win games late?

in other words, should the team be good enough to win the game "earlier", and not ask Brissett to go out and "win" the game at the end?

personally, i think he's being asked to do things outside of his skillset, and the other pieces of this team have failed miserably.

how many games was the defense supposed to win on their own before the season started? 1-2? how many have they lost?

i get wanting an easy scapegoat, but this team is foundationally damaged.

Agree with this, except the terrible part. He's been bad. The problem isn't Brissett, though. He never should have been in the position to 'lose' a game. The defense has been terrible.

62.7 completion percentage
1600 yards (228/game)
6 TD's, 5 INT's
82.3 Passer Rating

He ain't going to the HOF but he also ain't the reason we're losing all these games.

in other words, should the team be good enough to win the game "earlier", and not ask Brissett to go out and "win" the game at the end?

personally, i think he's being asked to do things outside of his skillset, and the other pieces of this team have failed miserably.

how many games was the defense supposed to win on their own before the season started? 1-2? how many have they lost?

Brissett is playing as well as he can. That's the problem though. He just isn't very good.

Brissett is playing as well as he can. That's the problem though. He just isn't very good.
i agree. he's a backup.

On my way home listening to SiriusXM Fantasy, I swear I heard Howard Bender and Jim Bowden report that an agreement was in place to trade Hunt to the Rams. I don't see anything anywhere confirming that. In fact, the rumor mill on Hunt still seems to be all over the place. Did I hallucinate the whole thing?

On my way home listening to SiriusXM Fantasy, I swear I heard Howard Bender and Jim Bowden report that an agreement was in place to trade Hunt to the Rams. I don't see anything anywhere confirming that. In fact, the rumor mill on Hunt still seems to be all over the place. Did I hallucinate the whole thing?
Probably.
Trading Hunt is dumb unless the return is something ya just can't turn down, like a 2nd.
Otherwise, seems like a terrible move. No reason to get Chubb killed with 30 carries a game if we want to make moves like that, plus we aren't out of it till we hit 8 losses. Not like we have our 2023 1st to care about.

Probably.
Trading Hunt is dumb unless the return is something ya just can't turn down, like a 2nd.
Otherwise, seems like a terrible move. No reason to get Chubb killed with 30 carries a game if we want to make moves like that, plus we aren't out of it till we hit 8 losses. Not like we have our 2023 1st to care about.
Pete Smith
@_PeteSmith_
I dunno who needs to hear this, but Hunt has stunk as of late. Some of that lack of success isn't his fault. OLine miscommunications got him drilled twice in the backfield, but this happens every year with him.

Probably.
In the hypothetical scenario Hunt is traded there will not be an outcome in which Chubb suddenly gets 30 carries/game. He'll net similar work, D'Ern will get more initially, and eventually Jerome Ford.

Whoever trades for him is renting a back for a half season...I don't expect any windfall offers to be made. If Cleveland loses Monday night, they can pretty much throw in the towel on this season and it makes sense to get something...anything...for him before he leaves in free agency. If we win, I think it makes sense to keep him, and not take a low ball offer, as we are still in the mix.

Whoever trades for him is renting a back for a half season...I don't expect any windfall offers to be made. If Cleveland loses Monday night, they can pretty much throw in the towel on this season and it makes sense to get something...anything...for him before he leaves in free agency. If we win, I think it makes sense to keep him, and not take a low ball offer, as we are still in the mix.
I don't think taking peanuts for a fairly cheap good player is a good idea, especially if we don't have a 1st next year to cheer for.
Let's not send that message that a future 4th is more important than trying to win.
Keeping the team with some semblance of playing to win for when Deshaun is back has some value as well

I don't think taking peanuts for a fairly cheap good player is a good idea, especially if we don't have a 1st next year to cheer for.
Let's not send that message that a future 4th is more important than trying to win.
Keeping the team with some semblance of playing to win for when Deshaun is back has some value as well
I don't think the marginal difference between Hunt and D'Ern (and maybe Ford) is all that much.

Users who are viewing this thread