What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cuba Vacation Chat: Activate (1 Viewer)

Plorfu

Footballguy
So, a group of us are gong to Cuba at the tail-end of April and the first week of May. We have an itinerary, for the most part, but will also be spending most of our time in Havana, with a little time in Cienfuegos (via bay of Pigs) and Trinidad. We'e looking forward to seeing the island before it's taken over by Arby's and Hard Rock.

One thing I really want to do is see a baseball game. I don't even care what level, but it's really difficult to even find a schedule online for this. However, I think there's a chance their national playoffs might be happening while we're there. So, for any of you that have done this, any advice is appreciated.

In addition to the above, we'll have a day trip in Vinales. 

So, CubaGuys - whacha got?

So, how was it?  I just booked a trip for the wife and I after Thanksgiving for 5 days.   Flying into Havana and have a Casa booked there...winging it after that.  Any suggestions?

So, how was it?  I just booked a trip for the wife and I after Thanksgiving for 5 days.   Flying into Havana and have a Casa booked there...winging it after that.  Any suggestions?
I assume it's pretty cheap to get there and stay? Can you give some insight on what this costs? Sounds like a cool trip.

Here for the next few days on vacation. Had an amazing day today and will do a full trip report when I return but was wondering if anyone knew of a real good spot to eat in Havana? 

@Plorfu

Here for the next few days on vacation. Had an amazing day today and will do a full trip report when I return but was wondering if anyone knew of a real good spot to eat in Havana? 

@Plorfu
For the most part, the food scene is kind of lacking there but we all enjoyed La Guarida. It's upstairs in a funky old mansion but you might want to get a reservation soon. If you skipped over a hotel and are staying in a casa, see if the family will cook a meal. Those ended up being pretty awesome.  I'll look through my pictures and see if there were any others. 

So, a group of us are gong to Cuba at the tail-end of April and the first week of May. We have an itinerary, for the most part, but will also be spending most of our time in Havana, with a little time in Cienfuegos (via bay of Pigs) and Trinidad. We'e looking forward to seeing the island before it's taken over by Arby's and Hard Rock.

One thing I really want to do is see a baseball game. I don't even care what level, but it's really difficult to even find a schedule online for this. However, I think there's a chance their national playoffs might be happening while we're there. So, for any of you that have done this, any advice is appreciated.

In addition to the above, we'll have a day trip in Vinales. 

So, CubaGuys - whacha got?
Vinales is beautiful and the highlight of the trip IMO.  There was a restaurant that was on a farm that was the best meal we had the entire 10-days were there.  I think it was 13-14 per person including drinks.  Old Havana is the most hopping, best restaurants, etc.  Make sure that you hire a car, preferably convertible, for a few hours to go up and down the Malecon.  We went and saw a Cuban show (it was a dinner show type deal) in old Havana that was awesome.

Make sure you bring plenty of cash, they do not accept credit cards anywhere.  Also, bring Euros or Canadian to avoid the 10%USD tax.  Make sure you exchange a state bank for the best rates.  Happy to answer any specific questions you may have. 

Vinales is beautiful and the highlight of the trip IMO.  There was a restaurant that was on a farm that was the best meal we had the entire 10-days were there.  I think it was 13-14 per person including drinks.  Old Havana is the most hopping, best restaurants, etc.  Make sure that you hire a car, preferably convertible, for a few hours to go up and down the Malecon.  We went and saw a Cuban show (it was a dinner show type deal) in old Havana that was awesome.

Make sure you bring plenty of cash, they do not accept credit cards anywhere.  Also, bring Euros or Canadian to avoid the 10%USD tax.  Make sure you exchange a state bank for the best rates.  Happy to answer any specific questions you may have. 
Thanks. This was posted a year ago, though. We actually did learn ahead of time to get cash and at the time Canadian was the best exchange rate, so that's what we went with. Sounds like we had similar trips - it was amazing and life changing. Uploading some pics to a Dropbox now and will share.

I think the main thing I would recommend to anyone is don't go there if you want a normal vacation, like a resort and a beach. You can get that anywhere and probably with better amenities. Sure, the ocean's beautiful and so is the country, but I think going there for a true cultural exchange, really talking to people, wandering around aimlessly (it's very safe there, even though the abject poverty makes a lot of places look like a stabbing ready to happen) is the way to do Cuba. Casas instead of hotels, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread