What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do any of you have the virus? Thread for those that do **We're up to FOUR, including your's truly** (2 Viewers)

According to Worldometer, just a hair over 1 of every 100 people in the US have tested positive.
And I bet if you limit to the Ferrari crowd like the FFA, the percentages are even far smaller. We’re good for now. 

4 coworkers , 2 of their wives and a son all got it. None ended up needing the hospital and all are good now. 

My daughter. And I can't be of any help as I am a month removed from ICU for a lung issue. I feel pretty helpless. Hopefully she doesn't get to bad of symptoms as she lost her mom in March and really doesn't have anyone to attend to her. COVID sucks.
Ugh - that’s sucks man.  If you don’t mind me asking - how old?  Good thoughts and vibes coming your way.

My daughter. And I can't be of any help as I am a month removed from ICU for a lung issue. I feel pretty helpless. Hopefully she doesn't get to bad of symptoms as she lost her mom in March and really doesn't have anyone to attend to her. COVID sucks.
Ugh. So sorry, DMac.

Is she close by at least? Does she have people who can check on her? Can you FaceTime?

Anything the FFA community can do?

Ugh - that’s sucks man.  If you don’t mind me asking - how old?  Good thoughts and vibes coming your way.
She turns 38 Friday. Happy birthday to her. Her age is a plus. Her weight is a minus as she is definitely heavy. I can't lie, her basic health is why I am so concerned.

Edit: When I did the math to answer the age question, I couldn't believe the number. When I was talking to her on the phone, I still see her as that 12 year old I used to drop off at school. 38, wow. But once her dad, always her dad. She'll always be my little girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. So sorry, DMac.

Is she close by at least? Does she have people who can check on her? Can you FaceTime?

Anything the FFA community can do?
I told her, phone, email, text. Don't leave me in the dark. Let me know how she is doing. If she needs ANYTHING, let me know. It is a 45 minute drive or so but that is fine. Anything she needs. She was very much a homebody. Has groceries delivered, doesn't go out. All she did was go to work with mandatory masks. Still got it. She did everything she could to be able to enjoy her birthday and somehow it still got her. Thing that pisses me off, her job could easily be WFH. But it is a government contract so we have to keep our thumbs on the workers! So I will spend the next 7 to 10 days praying her symptoms don't worsen. 

I tested positive for antibodies back in May, which meant I had COVID-19 in late March, when our County got hit hard.  I thought it was a cold that was turning into a sinus infection - runny nose, cough, headache, slight fever.  About 3 days in, I lost my sense of taste and smell.  After about 3 more days sleeping in the basement, it cleared up - my wife tested negative for antibodies, and I told her it was because she's so skilled at socially distancing from me.  Never got tested for COVID in March, and I'm sure they wouldn't have tested me at the time as my symptoms were mild.  Only reason I was tested for antibodies was that I volunteered for a clinical study in our County.  Turns out that the actual infection rate (those with antibodies) was about 10 times greater (total infection rate was about 23%) than the reported infection rate (those positive for COVID).  That study, and others measuring antibody response, are ongoing.

Pretty sure I got it at a trivia night at my local watering hole.  4/6 of the people on my team got sick and a slew of other regulars got sick as well - one was even put on a ventilator (overweight, 65 year old).  We are back to playing, but the news on antibodies is still unclear and a bit disturbing so maybe we aren't as safe as we once thought.  Might be time to play more golf.

I tested positive for antibodies back in May, which meant I had COVID-19 in late March, when our County got hit hard.  I thought it was a cold that was turning into a sinus infection - runny nose, cough, headache, slight fever.  About 3 days in, I lost my sense of taste and smell.  After about 3 more days sleeping in the basement, it cleared up - my wife tested negative for antibodies, and I told her it was because she's so skilled at socially distancing from me.  Never got tested for COVID in March, and I'm sure they wouldn't have tested me at the time as my symptoms were mild.  Only reason I was tested for antibodies was that I volunteered for a clinical study in our County.  Turns out that the actual infection rate (those with antibodies) was about 10 times greater (total infection rate was about 23%) than the reported infection rate (those positive for COVID).  That study, and others measuring antibody response, are ongoing.

Pretty sure I got it at a trivia night at my local watering hole.  4/6 of the people on my team got sick and a slew of other regulars got sick as well - one was even put on a ventilator (overweight, 65 year old).  We are back to playing, but the news on antibodies is still unclear and a bit disturbing so maybe we aren't as safe as we once thought.  Might be time to play more golf.
Glad you got through it ok. Still hoping the antibodies give you immunity- would suck if not.

I'd like to do the antibody testing....daughter and I both got very mildly sick (low grade fever and weak) for 4 or 5 days right when this started publicly in March. The testing isn't convenient for us though- have to go to another part of NYC

I'm dealing with hangover from terrible food/alcohol/dehydration poisoning last weekend that I'm still weak from. Tempted to get tested for the virus (not antibodies) down the block.

I have posted this before and I don't need to fire up a new thread about it but what do you all think of some Identification that's "Official" not jimmied together at the grass roots level but what about some type of visual ID that lets people know you have already had it? You pose no threat and also cannot get sick from others who have it.

I think it's fair if people follow the rules and then can prove they are no threat to others and can move freely about, that would seem like a logical and good thing to help those who have already suffered thru this. No reason to make people put their lives on hold when they are close to a zero factor in the stats or numbers. 

-Yes, people will be jealous that they have to mask up and you are free to move about but that's how it is. People in elected positions trying to control other people and how they live, that's not their job. They want to mandate masks, awesome. But they should also allow for people that have already experienced it to move forward with their lives as close to the way they were living prior. 

I have posted this before and I don't need to fire up a new thread about it but what do you all think of some Identification that's "Official" not jimmied together at the grass roots level but what about some type of visual ID that lets people know you have already had it? You pose no threat and also cannot get sick from others who have it.

I think it's fair if people follow the rules and then can prove they are no threat to others and can move freely about, that would seem like a logical and good thing to help those who have already suffered thru this. No reason to make people put their lives on hold when they are close to a zero factor in the stats or numbers. 

-Yes, people will be jealous that they have to mask up and you are free to move about but that's how it is. People in elected positions trying to control other people and how they live, that's not their job. They want to mandate masks, awesome. But they should also allow for people that have already experienced it to move forward with their lives as close to the way they were living prior. 
Do we know that if you have had it you cannot get it again?  I thought the jury was still out on that one...…..or at least too soon in the process to know for sure.

Might work once we are sure that antibodies = immunity. But right now we do not know that. There are reports already, although small sample size and unconfirmed as far as I've seen, of reinfections in some patients overseas. 

But even then, I'd think it would create a new problem of people faking their "immunity ID" etc., because, well, people. 

In talking to my doctor friends and other experts, it is "likely" that I have immunity, but it's unclear how long it will last.  It's also "likely" that IF, by some small chance, I get it again, it will be another mild case.  "Likely" is somewhat comforting, but the last thing I want is to be reckless and bring it home to my family, so I wear a mask, wash my hands a lot and avoid crowded areas.  There are still too many unknowns with this virus to stamp a big "I" (Immune? Infected? Ignoramus?) on my forehead IMO.

Except public health IS their job. It's not about controlling individuals, it's about protecting the community. I wish this politicization would stop. It's a big reason why this virus is kicking our ###. Go look at a chart of Covid cases in the US vs the EU. Roughly the same population and they had a head start but by mid-April they have started to get it in control and we're skyrocketing. It's this attitude that's the problem.

I've had the same idea about identifying those in the clear to help the economy get moving but the problem is we have no clear evidence yet that you can't get sick again. We don't know how effective antibodies are or how long they last.

In talking to my doctor friends and other experts, it is "likely" that I have immunity, but it's unclear how long it will last.  It's also "likely" that IF, by some small chance, I get it again, it will be another mild case.  "Likely" is somewhat comforting, but the last thing I want is to be reckless and bring it home to my family, so I wear a mask, wash my hands a lot and avoid crowded areas.  There are still too many unknowns with this virus to stamp a big "I" (Immune? Infected? Ignoramus?) on my forehead IMO.
How could they possibly know this to such a level to make a statement qualified by "likely"???  

How could they possibly know this to such a level to make a statement qualified by "likely"???  
From what I've read there's a thought that the body will recognize it more quickly and know how to react.  I believe they've maybe shown this with other coronavirus illnesses but not certain.

(1) I already had a mild case, so the theory is that since my body fought it off the first time, it will do it again.

(2) I have antibodies to help fight it off.

Is it a certainty that I won't get it again or that it will be a mild case, no, but my doc friends have told me that it is more likely than not.  They are also the first to tell me that it's just an educated guess based upon what they have experienced with this and other viruses.  That's somewhat comforting, but not enough for me to ditch my mask and hang out in crowds. 

One of the guys on my team tested positive in March (along with his wife).  We quarantined for 2 weeks and never showed symptoms.  My friend had to get re-tested to be able to see his mother on her deathbed, and although he still had the antibodies in his system 4 months later, they had greatly decreased since his first antibody test about 3 months prior.  I've read articles where people are afraid that you might get a false sense of security thinking if you had it once, you were immune to future cases.

Praying your daughter does well @DallasDMac

I don't understand why we're expecting not to be able to get this again once we've had it, isn't this in the same family as cold/flu (not saying same thing, obviously) and don't we go through cold/flu season every single year?

I realize that's a simplistic take, but...?

I don't understand why we're expecting not to be able to get this again once we've had it, isn't this in the same family as cold/flu (not saying same thing, obviously) and don't we go through cold/flu season every single year?

I realize that's a simplistic take, but...?
Well, you can get different strains of the flu in the same season (or concurrently even), but I don't think you can get the same strain because of the antibodies that you produced the first time. The hope is that you can't get this same strain of COVID again once you've had it, due to the antibodies it produces. But it's new so we don't know for sure, and are only drawing from the data as it slowly comes in. 

My daughter said today she has "super congestion" so that is new. But she has been checking her temperature regularly and no fever so far, so that is good. She probably needs more rest than she can get with me texting her constantly to see how she's doing...

Except public health IS their job. It's not about controlling individuals, it's about protecting the community. I wish this politicization would stop. It's a big reason why this virus is kicking our ###. Go look at a chart of Covid cases in the US vs the EU. Roughly the same population and they had a head start but by mid-April they have started to get it in control and we're skyrocketing. It's this attitude that's the problem.

I've had the same idea about identifying those in the clear to help the economy get moving but the problem is we have no clear evidence yet that you can't get sick again. We don't know how effective antibodies are or how long they last.
listened to an interesting Hidden Brain podcast the other day - https://www.npr.org/transcripts/828257385 - that discusses some of the differences in societies that tend to lean towards strictness vs. those that tend to lean more relaxed.  found it pretty interesting.

"We all know people who prefer to follow the rules, and others who prefer to flout them. Psychologist Michele Gelfand defines these two ways of being as "tight" and "loose." She says the tight/loose framework can help us to better understand individuals, businesses, and even nations. This week, we look at the core traits of tight and loose worldviews, and how they may shape our lives — from interactions with our spouses to global efforts to fight the coronavirus."

Our first one!

This went over my head.

listened to an interesting Hidden Brain podcast the other day - https://www.npr.org/transcripts/828257385 - that discusses some of the differences in societies that tend to lean towards strictness vs. those that tend to lean more relaxed.  found it pretty interesting.

"We all know people who prefer to follow the rules, and others who prefer to flout them. Psychologist Michele Gelfand defines these two ways of being as "tight" and "loose." She says the tight/loose framework can help us to better understand individuals, businesses, and even nations. This week, we look at the core traits of tight and loose worldviews, and how they may shape our lives — from interactions with our spouses to global efforts to fight the coronavirus."
Similar vein, There's a doc film called "American factory" about a Chinese businessman buying and reopening a shuttered autoglass factory, iirc in OH. Does a great job highlighting the differences in the two cultures towards work and life. The response to the pandemic makes me think of it a lot....worth a watch.

Similar vein, There's a doc film called "American factory" about a Chinese businessman buying and reopening a shuttered autoglass factory, iirc in OH. Does a great job highlighting the differences in the two cultures towards work and life. The response to the pandemic makes me think of it a lot....worth a watch.
had to google this because, not lying, i thought you were jerking my chain and this was a Gung Ho reference.

Got tested this morning.  That was unpleasant to say the least.  But, few minutes of that is worth finding out.  Now what to do for the 6-10 days they said it may take to find out.  And then, depending on results what do I do.  Sucks.

Got tested this morning.  That was unpleasant to say the least.  But, few minutes of that is worth finding out.  Now what to do for the 6-10 days they said it may take to find out.  And then, depending on results what do I do.  Sucks.
Virus or antibody? If the former...have you been feeling unwell to prompt the test?

I'm sure it's been covered already...but that just seems like way too long to have to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread