What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (4 Viewers)

I’m not sure the good old government in its current state has any interest in Musk
The current government isn't interested in EVs?
Of course they are. It’s a ridiculously stupid idea. But that’s not what I said.
It's similar to what you said. Musk is the pioneer and leader in EV technology. It's hard to embrace one without the other.

You and I agree that makes sense. That isn’t what’s happening.
Not sure why you are being vague. Elon is going to make a boatload opening his chargers to other brands. Not sure if his chargers are union or non-union chargers, but that doesn't matter for him to cash gov't checks.
This is such a weird take. Tesla built a massive, reliable charging network on their own dime. They offered to share access and the cost of expansion with other OEMs, but with no takers for years. Now only when the alternatives to the Tesla network have proven to be piles of crap and an impediment to the non-Tesla OEMs selling their EVs, they came back to Tesla to gain access to the charging network. Tesla has given them access with no royalty fee. Yes, Tesla will directly profit from charging those vehicles (and probably more importantly, lower their own costs to provide charging by adding volume to under-utilized charging stations).

At the same time, they will be further expand & improve the charging network with grant money from the IRA.

But to phrase this to imply that the goal is to suck at the Goverment teet is a gross misrepresentation.

We would need to start a separate thread for the IRA because obviously nobody in here is familiar with it.

I’m not sure the good old government in its current state has any interest in Musk
Of course they are. It’s a ridiculously stupid idea. But that’s not what I said.
It's similar to what you said. Musk is the pioneer and leader in EV technology. It's hard to embrace one without the other.

Not sure why you are being vague. Elon is going to make a boatload opening his chargers to other brands. Not sure if his chargers are union or non-union chargers, but that doesn't matter for him to cash gov't checks.
This is such a weird take. Tesla built a massive, reliable charging network on their own dime. They offered to share access and the cost of expansion with other OEMs, but with no takers for years. Now only when the alternatives to the Tesla network have proven to be piles of crap and an impediment to the non-Tesla OEMs selling their EVs, they came back to Tesla to gain access to the charging network. Tesla has given them access with no royalty fee. Yes, Tesla will directly profit from charging those vehicles (and probably more importantly, lower their own costs to provide charging by adding volume to under-utilized charging stations).

At the same time, they will be further expand & improve the charging network with grant money from the IRA.

But to phrase this to imply that the goal is to suck at the Goverment teet is a gross misrepresentation.
I agree with you here, but Telsa will be getting funding from the federal gov't. Steadymobbin22 was implying they weren't since they were non-union. I don't think the non-union has anything to do with the charger incentives.
Without getting political, I believe (and what I think Steady was implying) is that Tesla benefiting from the charger (and other) incentives of the IRA was a necessary evil to the current administration and not a direct goal. They would have excluded them, if it were legal to do so.

I agree with you here, but Telsa will be getting funding from the federal gov't. Steadymobbin22 was implying they weren't since they were non-union. I don't think the non-union has anything to do with the charger incentives.

Developers get MASSIVE tax breaks and rebates by using union labor. X% of the labor used to develop these projects needs to be union to qualify.

It’s not just that- the dems have always been in bed with Unions but until Biden, it was mostly lip service. I don’t like Biden one bit but he’s been awesome for Unions.

Without getting political, I believe (and what I think Steady was implying) is that Tesla benefiting from the charger (and other) incentives of the IRA was a necessary evil to the current administration and not a direct goal. They would have excluded them, if it were legal to do so.

Probably.

We’re pretty far into the weeds on this one.

Thanks for clarifying.

Honestly I don't care about the politics. Tesla has the best charging stations and I'm stoked that I'll be able to access them next year. It's a game changer for travel. Someone mentioned above add 50% for travel, that will be 25% for those able to access Tesla chargers.

Thanks for clarifying.

Honestly I don't care about the politics. Tesla has the best charging stations and I'm stoked that I'll be able to access them next year. It's a game changer for travel. Someone mentioned above add 50% for travel, that will be 25% for those able to access Tesla chargers.
With 250kW chargers, I think it’ll be less than that

For those that use EA chargers, I’ve had occasional issues when trying to charge by pulling up and plugging in first. Sometimes it doesn’t do anything or you have to unplug and try again, etc.

Instead, pull up to the charger and open the EA app on your phone. Choose the stall number and start the session. THEN get out of your car and plug in. Works every time.

Thanks for clarifying.

FWIW, the vast majority of the chargers we'll all get access to will be SIGNIFICANTLY slower - limited to 50 vs 250/350.

Now, as the Magic Dock ones come online that'll be great. But they're more of an emergency assist right now as far as I'm concerned - welcome, but not gamechanging.

In case anyone reading this thread lives under a rock, Cybertruck deliveries tomorrow, starting at 3 PM EST. Includes release of specs and opening day pricing.

Livestream on X :rant:

Will update post if I find a non-X version. Possibly through ir.tesla.com, but the formal link currently leads to X.
Alternative Livestream to X.

Same charger I have. Has worked great so far. Was worth getting it hardwired, IMO, vs used a 14-50. Lots of challenges if you use certain brands of 14-50 with overheating and melting so if you go that route make sure you get one of the ones that is actually industrial grade.
We went with just the 240 V outlet vs hardwired for 2 reasons
1) Chevy will warranty their charger plug for the duration of us owning the vehicle. Hardwired charger was only warrantied for 1 year
2) I now can convince my wife that I need that new welder because I have the new outlet in the garage

Got an estimate today to install a level 2 charger: $1600 and I'd still have to buy the charger for another $400. Not a terrible price overall, but the more I've been reading about it, I think level 1 charging will work just fine for us. I'm getting one more estimate tomorrow just to see, but I ordered this charger and will try things out with this. I can always add the level 2 charger in the future if it's just not meeting our needs.

The abetterrouteplanner site is pretty sweet. I plugged in our trip and found there's a level 3 charger (both EVgo and EA, which would be free) and it plans our trip adding about 30 minutes to get some charging done and arrive. The hotel where we'll stay has charging so I would assume we can just do that overnight while there.

My wife is ridiculously frugal and it's already looking like her new "game" will be finding places and ways to charge the car for free so we don't even do any of it at home. She can have at it since she'll be the primary driver and overall doesn't drive much so I don't think it'll matter.

Got an estimate today to install a level 2 charger: $1600 and I'd still have to buy the charger for another $400. Not a terrible price overall, but the more I've been reading about it, I think level 1 charging will work just fine for us. I'm getting one more estimate tomorrow just to see, but I ordered this charger and will try things out with this. I can always add the level 2 charger in the future if it's just not meeting our needs.

The abetterrouteplanner site is pretty sweet. I plugged in our trip and found there's a level 3 charger (both EVgo and EA, which would be free) and it plans our trip adding about 30 minutes to get some charging done and arrive. The hotel where we'll stay has charging so I would assume we can just do that overnight while there.

My wife is ridiculously frugal and it's already looking like her new "game" will be finding places and ways to charge the car for free so we don't even do any of it at home. She can have at it since she'll be the primary driver and overall doesn't drive much so I don't think it'll matter.
How far do they have to run the wires from the breaker?

Just get a bid for a 14-50 outlet. Electricians hate this one weird trick. You say "EV" it's like saying "party" vs. "wedding" to an event venue.

This would be great with Eddie Grant singing an intro:

They have to move a couple breakers around on my panel. The panel is in our basement in a utility room and the garage is directly above it. What I thought would be a really long run (our main panel is on the complete other side of the house) couldn't have ended up in a better spot. The run is maybe 10-15 ft going up with decent access?

They have to move a couple breakers around on my panel. The panel is in our basement in a utility room and the garage is directly above it. What I thought would be a really long run (our main panel is on the complete other side of the house) couldn't have ended up in a better spot. The run is maybe 10-15 ft going up with decent access?
What are you getting? I mean if it gets super spendy you can get dedicated 20A breaker and charge at 110V. Tesla has an adaptor for this. I assume others do.

Tesla has a Nema 5-20

That shouldn't cost 1600 bucks then. If you are supplying the charger, the only real hardware they need is a 50 amp breaker, and the 25 foot run of 6 gauge wire which is a few hundred bucks tops. Shoudn't take the electrician more than a half day to do it.

In case anyone reading this thread lives under a rock, Cybertruck deliveries tomorrow, starting at 3 PM EST. Includes release of specs and opening day pricing.

Livestream on X :rant:

Will update post if I find a non-X version. Possibly through ir.tesla.com, but the formal link currently leads to X.
Alternative Livestream to X.

$79,990 for a potential 2024 delivery. I don’t think they are going to have a lot of cross shopping from their Model 3/Y buyers.

How much a fast

Seems high

Just another data point for you: I've had an EV for the past 6 months and been using a Level 1 charging with zero complaints. It will take 20+ hours sometimes to charge up the car from low %, but if you aren't going anywhere, there isn't a whiff of burden caused by the long charge times. If my power provider allowed me the option to have hourly pricing, it would be nice to take advantage of late night kwH rates with a Level 2. (My breaker panel is of course on the opposite side of the house from the garage).

How much a fast

Seems high
I had an electrician come out and run almost 60 feet of 6 gauge. He had to go from basement closet across the house up in the exposed ceiling joists, get into the crawl space under addition, and break through into garage wall. Code here is needed a way more expensive GFI 50 amp breaker. There were two dudes here for 1/2 day, one dude for a full day. They told me they could only charge Chevy (who would pay for the whole thing) $1200

How much a fast

Seems high
I had an electrician come out and run almost 60 feet of 6 gauge. He had to go from basement closet across the house up in the exposed ceiling joists, get into the crawl space under addition, and break through into garage wall. Code here is needed a way more expensive GFI 50 amp breaker. There were two dudes here for 1/2 day, one dude for a full day. They told me they could only charge Chevy (who would pay for the whole thing) $1200
I'm going to need their number.

Brownlee was supposed to drop his CT vid today, didn't see it yet. Thought all the influencer content was coming out.

Drive to free charger then go for a run.

That's exactly what she's planning!

Drive to a free charger then drink a couple beers

Holy cow thats a lot by the way. Our install was $500 and only then because of permitting or I think I'd have done it myself. Took the guy an hour to do the actual work. Although our panel is even closer than yours I think.

Holy cow thats a lot by the way. Our install was $500 and only then because of permitting or I think I'd have done it myself. Took the guy an hour to do the actual work. Although our panel is even closer than yours I think.
GF installed the outlet in her garage with her brother back in early 2021. Think total cost was around $180 which was reimbursed through a utility rebate. I don’t have the confidence to mess with the junction box yet.

Also very good. The interview with Franz and Lars, especially.

Best Cybertruck review I've come across
Thanks for the links @Dragons

Big props to Tesla for moving the industry forward. https://youtu.be/L6WDq0V5oBg?si=2UTU_0UlWJVaHf1B&t=647 This is worth a watch for those not interested in Cybertruck but want to see where the industry is going. For those that don't want to watch, this is the first production vehicle with wireless steering and a 48V electrical system. I'm shocked how this company is doing things the rest of the industry won't touch.

Watched that video and came away with the same take as BassNBrew.

12 volt electrical system being the same for 70 years should be a point of embarrassment for legacy car makers. I was really impressed with the engineering on the CyberTruck. They also threw in a tidbit about how previous Teslas were so good at safety that they actually broke the old rating systems. I didn't know that. I'm not going to be an early adopter of this thing, but I could see buying one a few years down the road.

I love the tech and am excited for others to follow suit, but think this thing looks dumb. Also, why the hell do we have to make cars capable of going 0-60 in 2 seconds and top out at nearly 200 mph?

I love the tech and am excited for others to follow suit, but think this thing looks dumb. Also, why the hell do we have to make cars capable of going 0-60 in 2 seconds and top out at nearly 200 mph?

I never take my tesla off chill mode unless wanting to scare someone. The thing is, there isn't some efficiency vs. speed curve like there is in ICE cars if you need a motor to get you to 60mph it is just gonna get you there in a hurry or it won't ever get there.

Also, most of them do not top out at 200mph. Model 3s top out at 120ish IIRC. Maybe the performance gets more but I doubt it. I have to assume Ys top around 115.

Latest Rivian software update adds the capability to automatically re-engage lane keep after changing lanes using signal. Freaking awesome owning a vehicle where they keep giving you options after you purchase.

Latest Rivian software update adds the capability to automatically re-engage lane keep after changing lanes using signal. Freaking awesome owning a vehicle where they keep giving you options after you purchase.
I don't understand. Reengage lane keep?

Isn't that standard on all vehicles that have it?

I don't understand. Reengage lane keep?

Isn't that standard on all vehicles that have it?
There self drive would turn off when you changed lanes and you would have to start it over. Now you use the turn and change lanes, once the lane change is complete the self drive automatically resumes.

Taking aside the exaggerated numbers,

Short answer: because they can.

Long answer: Tesla, specially, intends to make compelling vehicles. Cars you want to drive that, oh also happen be electric. In part, it's showing off the benefits of the electric drivetrain, one is instantaneous torque.

Also, in part, they do this because other OEMs, in an effort to not cannibalize their lucrative sales of ICE vehicles, made electric vehicles with shortcomings. That way only people who really wanted electric would buy one and it would be business as usual for everyone else (see: Nissan Leaf).

Tesla upended that strategy by proving electric was superior in almost every way and now OEMs are playing catch up.

:confused:
The Model S Plaid goes 0-60 in 1.9 seconds and has a top speed of 200 mph
That's one car.
That was one example.

The Lucid air is faster 0-60 and also goes 200 mph. Every luxury EV is shooting to beat those numbers and we will only see faster and faster going forward.

I get the appeal, as @BassNBrew said, it is fun as heck. I have "slow" EV and even that is way faster and more exciting than any other car I have driven (minus the couple times I have rented a Tesla). I just think for the general public, there needs to be some limits set. There is nowhere in this country where you can drive 200 mph legally, it just seems overkill, that's all

That's one car.
That was one example.

The Lucid air is faster 0-60 and also goes 200 mph. Every luxury EV is shooting to beat those numbers and we will only see faster and faster going forward.

I get the appeal, as @BassNBrew said, it is fun as heck. I have "slow" EV and even that is way faster and more exciting than any other car I have driven (minus the couple times I have rented a Tesla). I just think for the general public, there needs to be some limits set. There is nowhere in this country where you can drive 200 mph legally, it just seems overkill, that's all

Bonneville Salt Flats!

That's one car.
That was one example.

Before Plaids, we had Porches, Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

Updates:

1) Yeah, after reading your responses here and seeing what needed to be done, the cost for that first estimate was nuts.
2) So, while waiting to get the 2nd estimate from an electrician that was recommended by the dealer where I got the car, I texted my buddy that does a lot of home improvement stuff and electrical stuff to see if he had someone he could recommend for something like this. He said "Uh, I can do this for you pretty easily and save you $$". Came over later that day, looked at the setup, and went out and got stuff for it. In less than an hour, have most of it wired and will finish the rest later this week when the level 2 charger comes in (ordered the one that @Ron Swanson recommended for $399). Materials cost $200.
3) Just got the estimate from the 2nd guy that was recommended by the dealer. $500 for the work, with materials. Doh. That is obviously much better and, had I received it, would have gone that route so my friend didn't have to give up any time for it, but it's all good. That said, it helps to know who to call in the future for any electrical work.

And the best part....

4) That 2nd guy shows up, and as I'm letting him in, he goes "so, how do you like your neighbor?". I asked which one, and he pointed in the direction of the neighbor I've fondly written about here (Trees!!). I was a little vague at first trying to gauge how he felt and he just came out with "yeah, I did the wiring for his house when it was built. He was the biggest PITA". I started laughing and told him the tree story. He said he can't stand the guy. And then the neighbor didn't pay him for the work for the longest time and was a hassle trying to get reimbursed for his work. The neighbor asked about having him do other work and the electrician was like "no thanks". That's now the second contractor I've run into that has done stuff for him and can't stand the guy.

Anyway, level 2 charger arriving Thursday and should be up and running by this weekend. I'll throw my buddy like a $200 gift card to a nice restaurant or something for his time doing this.

That's one car.
That was one example.

Before Plaids, we had Porches, Ferraris and Lamborghinis.
I know. My comment was directed in this context at EV's, but the same can be said for ICE vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread