What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Subscriber Contest Strategy (1 Viewer)

Comparing rosters, I noticed I had several ideas similar to Dodds, we'll see if that is a good thing or not :bye:

QB - Peyton Manning - 31

QB - Daunte Culpepper - 4

QB - David Garrard - 2

Taking Manning was a given for me, as well as Garrard. Manning is as close to a sure thing as there is, and I believe he's worth the extra money you have to spend. Adding Culpepper as a flyer may or may not work out, but if he's still the starter in week 6, you have to figure he'll be airing it out vs. San Diego. Garrard also has a nice matchup with Houston that week, so hopefully between the two it will be enough to cover Manning's bye week.

RB - Larry Johnson - 49

RB - Ahman Green - 23

RB - LenDale White - 21

RB - LaMont Jordan - 19

RB - Sammy Morris - 3

RB - Jerome Harrison - 2

Having Manning elimated Henry, Addai, Parker, and Gore from my #1 RB consideration, as they all share the same bye week. While the cut my not be as severe as in weeks 8-10, I didn't feel like I could afford to have my #1 QB and #1 RB off the same week. I think LJ is going to be off to a slow start, but will be rock solid during the second half of the season. At $49, I liked the value. LT at $70 will be on many teams, but I feel like he's worth that price ONLY if he produces at the same level as last season, which isn't a given. Green represents nice value, I believe he'll be on a lot of teams this year. I'm banking on LenDale to get the majority of carries for Tennessee, and after Jax the opening week, has several nice matchups early on, as does Jordan (Detroit and Cleveland). Morris might get the goal-line carries in New England, but even if he doesn't, will get a good deal of touches as they won't be giving Maroney 350 carries this season, IMO. Harrison is a nice flyer in PPR as I'm not completely buying into Jamal.

WR - Bernard Berrian - 16

WR - Santonio Holmes - 14

WR - Devery Henderson - 9

WR - Demetrius Williams - 3

WR - Wes Welker - 3

WR - Patrick Crayton - 3

WR - Chris Henry - 2

Ok, so my WR look like a lot of teams...no big $$ guys, focusing on value and potential flyers...nothing really to report here that hasn't already been mentioned.

TE - Antonio Gates - 35

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

With the extra value in PPR, I knew I wanted Gates on my team. And, if I'm spending $35 on one TE, there's no way you can add another signifcant dollar guy if you want to have money anywhere else on your roster. Johnson should be good in a PPR format, and IF he stays healthy, has a decent matchup week 7 when Gates has his bye week. I don't have anyone else significant with a week 7 bye, so hopefully I'll make it through when a lot of people will have LT out of their lineup (or Steve Smith, or the GB or Car running game).

PK - Olindo Mare - 3

PK - John Kasay - 1

I think NO will continue to score a lot of points. An early week 4 bye made Mare attractive enough for me to spend the $3.

TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3

TD - Green Bay Packers - 3

Def are a total roll of the dice...who knows how this will work out.

Total value: 250

My season hinges on LJ and Gates. If either gets hurt, or doesn't produce, I'm in a world of hurt, even with 3 other viable candidates at RB. I'm not shooting for middle of the pack, however, so I felt like you HAVE to take risks somewhere if you're going to be in the running in the end. Thoughts?

QB - Peyton Manning - 31

QB - David Garrard - 2

RB - Larry Johnson - 49

RB - Ahman Green - 23

RB - DeShaun Foster - 13

WR - Chad Johnson - 43

WR - Lee Evans - 29

WR - Laveranues Coles - 25

WR - Dennis Northcutt - 1

WR - Sinorice Moss - 1

WR - Kevin Walter - 1

TE - Donald Lee - 1

TE - Robert Royal - 1

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

TE - Alex Smith - 1

PK - Rob Bironas - 1

PK - John Kasay - 1

PK - Shaun Suisham - 1

PK - Nick Folk - 1

TD - Baltimore Ravens - 7

TD - Carolina Panthers - 3

went with the "I aint leaving points on my bench" theory.
Looks to me like you went with the "I'm screwed because of BYE weeks theory"

Here is my roster. I tried to spread my BYE weeks out, and I think that I have done a good job with it. I may have a problem in week 6 when Henry and Wayne are both off, but scores should be down that week with six teams off that week. I probably could have swapped Garrard for Harrington and upgraded Taylor to C. Williams but I forgot to adjust my roster after Friday. Oh well, I will roll with what I have and see what happens.

QB - Drew Brees - 21

QB - Matt Schaub - 10

QB - Joey Harrington - 6

RB - Travis Henry - 43

RB - Fred Taylor - 17

RB - DeShaun Foster - 13

RB - Adrian Peterson - 4

RB - Sammy Morris - 3

RB - Jerome Harrison - 2

WR - Reggie Wayne - 39

WR - T.J. Houshmandzadeh - 34

WR - Ronald Curry - 8

WR - Bobby Wade - 5

WR - Roddy White - 3

WR - Wes Welker - 3

WR - Patrick Crayton - 3

TE - Jason Witten - 19

TE - Bo Scaife - 9

PK - David Akers - 3

PK - Rian Lindell - 1

TD - Oakland Raiders - 3

TD - Houston Texans - 1

QB - Peyton Manning - 31

QB - David Garrard - 2

RB - Larry Johnson - 49

RB - Ahman Green - 23

RB - DeShaun Foster - 13

WR - Chad Johnson - 43

WR - Lee Evans - 29

WR - Laveranues Coles - 25

WR - Sinorice Moss - 1

WR - Kevin Walter - 1

TE - Donald Lee - 1

TE - Robert Royal - 1

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

TE - Alex Smith - 1

PK - Rob Bironas - 1

PK - John Kasay - 1

PK - Shaun Suisham - 1

PK - Nick Folk - 1

TD - Carolina Panthers - 3

went with the "I aint leaving points on my bench" theory.
Looks to me like you went with the "I'm screwed because of BYE weeks theory"
Which weeks are you referring to? I think I'm spread out pretty well. Week 6 might be a little tight, but I wasn't too concerned with it seeing how alot of big names are out that week.

QB - Matt Leinart - 14

QB - Alex Smith - 12

QB - David Garrard - 2

I expected Garrard to take the job at some point in the year. I almost wish it was later, so EVERYONE wouldn't have had him. My theory was Culpepper would start early and Garrard late. After garrard was named starter, I thought I might take Pepper out, but forgot to update my team...

RB - Reggie Bush - 45

RB - Rudi Johnson - 40

RB - Adrian Peterson - 23

RB - Brandon Jackson - 15

I submitted several lineups with LT or Steven Jackson, but never like my #2 RB in thos lineups. I decided to spread the money out and get 2 solid starters in Bush and Rudi. AD Peterson could be a huge bargain.

WR - Jerricho Cotchery - 24

WR - Bobby Wade - 5

WR - Patrick Crayton - 3

If I had remember to check this entry in the last couple weeks, I might have added another WR in place of Culpepper. Since we have to have 3 starters and maybe a 4th for flex, I'd sort of like to have more than 5 options, especially since I see Berrian is a guy that makes huge plays once in a while and then could be quit for a game or two.

TE - Bo Scaife - 9

TE - Desmond Clark - 8

I had Eric Johnson for a dollar on several early versions of this lineup. I had 7 extra dollars when I finished, so I upgraded (i hope!) to Desmond Clark.

PK - Neil Rackers - 2

PK - Mike Nugent - 2

PK - John Kasay - 1

I decided to go with 3 kickers, since they are cheap and unpredicable.

TD - Miami Dolphins - 4

TD - Minnesota Vikings - 3

TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3

TD - Tennessee Titans - 1

Same strategy as with kickers. By having 4, I'm hoping one will have a huge game each week. I have the Vikings/Titans TDBC combo as well as the Miami (usually solid) and Dallas (who I think will be tough with Phillips as coach).

QB - Drew Brees - 21

QB - Matt Schaub - 10

QB - David Garrard - 2

RB - Joseph Addai - 46

RB - Reggie Bush - 45

RB - Brian Leonard - 3

RB - Sammy Morris - 3

RB - Tony Hunt - 1

WR - Lee Evans - 29

WR - Vincent Jackson - 17

WR - Ronald Curry - 8

WR - Wes Welker - 3

WR - Jacoby Jones - 2

TE - Bo Scaife - 9

TE - David Martin - 6

PK - Ryan Longwell - 1

PK - John Kasay - 1

TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3

TD - Washington Redskins - 2

QB - Drew Brees - 21

QB - Matt Leinart - 14

QB - Joey Harrington - 6

RB - Rudi Johnson - 40

RB - Cadillac Williams - 21

RB - Ladell Betts - 14

RB - Michael Bennett - 5

WR - Larry Fitzgerald - 38

WR - Darrell Jackson - 15

WR - Joe Horn - 7

WR - Maurice Stovall - 3

WR - Patrick Crayton - 3

WR - Antwaan Randle El - 2

TE - Chris Cooley - 22

TE - Visanthe Shiancoe - 4

TE - Jeb Putzier - 1

PK - Ryan Longwell - 1

PK - John Kasay - 1

TD - San Diego Chargers - 5

QB - Jay Cutler - 16

QB - Brady Quinn - 3

QB - David Garrard - 2

RB - Frank Gore - 48

RB - Ladell Betts - 14

RB - Michael Turner - 10

RB - Adrian Peterson - 4

RB - Sammy Morris - 3

WR - Lee Evans - 29

WR - Deion Branch - 26

WR - Craig Davis - 5

WR - Anthony Gonzalez - 3

WR - Patrick Crayton - 3

WR - Jacoby Jones - 2

TE - Vernon Davis - 23

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

PK - Mike Nugent - 2

QB - Peyton Manning - 31

QB - Joey Harrington - 6

QB - David Garrard - 2

RB - LaDainian Tomlinson - 70

RB - Willie Parker - 44

RB - Jerious Norwood - 24

WR - Kevin Curtis - 10

WR - Wes Welker - 3

WR - Hank Baskett - 2

WR - Jacoby Jones - 2

WR - Ashley Lelie - 2

WR - Shaun McDonald - 1

WR - Kevin Walter - 1

TE - Owen Daniels - 11

TE - Desmond Clark - 8

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

PK - Jeff Wilkins - 3

PK - Neil Rackers - 2

TD - Chicago Bears - 8

TD - Pittsburgh Steelers - 4

I'm gonna win :blackdot:

QB - Marc Bulger - 23

QB - David Garrard - 2

RB - Brian Westbrook - 52

RB - Maurice Jones-Drew - 40

RB - Anthony Thomas - 4

RB - T.J. Duckett - 2

RB - Tony Hunt - 1

WR - Reggie Wayne - 39

WR - Kevin Curtis - 10

WR - Arnaz Battle - 5

WR - Peerless Price - 5

WR - Dwayne Bowe - 4

WR - Antwaan Randle El - 2

WR - Chris Henry - 2

TE - Marcedes Lewis - 7

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

PK - David Akers - 3

PK - Rian Lindell - 1

TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3

TD - Philadelphia Eagles - 3

My team:

QB - Drew Brees - 21

QB - Matt Schaub - 10

QB - David Garrard - 2

RB - Joseph Addai - 46

RB - Rudi Johnson - 40

RB - Dominic Rhodes - 3

WR - Marques Colston - 27

WR - Brandon Stokley - 3

WR - Patrick Crayton - 3

WR - Jacoby Jones - 2

WR - Chris Henry - 2

WR - Justin McCareins - 1

TE - Vernon Davis - 23

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

PK - Neil Rackers - 2

PK - Rob Bironas - 1

TD - New England Patriots - 6

I chose Brees over Manning. I think they will be close but Brees allowed me extra funds. I wanted 2 top ten RBs and LT would not allow it. I am not deep at RB so my success will hinge on injuries. I am very deep at WR maybe too deep. But There were more cheap WRs I feel had great upside. Looking back 2 more cheap RBs would have smart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I own Chad Johnson on my dynasty team. So I am a fan. But I cannot figure out why anyone would pay $9 for for Chad Johnson when TJ Housh is only $34. Don't they often finish with similar stats?

Why did this FBG Contest end its entries on Tuesday, when the games start on Thursday? One of the reason I subscribed was to get involved in this contest.

Why did this FBG Contest end its entries on Tuesday, when the games start on Thursday? One of the reason I subscribed was to get involved in this contest.
Uhhhh....Joe has only been hyping it in his daily emails everyday for the past two weeks. It is no one's fault but your own.

Uhhhh....Joe has only been hyping it in his daily emails everyday for the past two weeks. It is no one's fault but your own.
Thanks for the reply, but does anyone have an answer to the question? Some of us have been busy and thought they had time. Why the 4th and not the 6th when the games actually start.

Thanks for the reply, but does anyone have an answer to the question? Some of us have been busy and thought they had time. Why the 4th and not the 6th when the games actually start.
Because that's the date they picked when they announced the contest over a month ago. :confused:

Looks like I'm the only one who took Westbrook so far. C'mon Westy!
Now you've got the right idea...I think the idea that there's one magical formula is flavved. To stand out from thousands of entries you need to have a relatively unique combination of players...at least that will increase your odds of winning. Granted, your unique set of players need to score, but you do increase you are odds with a more unique lineup.
Actually if you look at the rosters of 95% of the teams that made it to the 4 week playoff last year they all had LT2, R Bush, F Gore. The other 5% had S Jacx or W Parker, and most of the teams also had P Manning. What ultimatly seperated teams was the addition of a couple cheap players like B Edwards.I remember last year after the 2 week of the playoffs being in 7th place and only a few points behind the leader and thinkning that there was only about 2 players on my entire roster that could help me make up any points because so many teams looked almost exactly the same.

QB - Drew Brees - 21QB - Matt Schaub - 10RB - Reggie Bush - 45RB - Willie Parker - 44RB - Cadillac Williams - 21RB - Dominic Rhodes - 3RB - T.J. Duckett - 2RB - Tony Hunt - 1WR - Lee Evans - 29WR - Bernard Berrian - 16WR - Santonio Holmes - 14WR - Ronald Curry - 8WR - Wes Welker - 3WR - Amani Toomer - 3WR - Jacoby Jones - 2WR - Kevin Walter - 1TE - Jason Witten - 19TE - Eric Johnson - 1PK - Josh Brown - 2PK - Kris Brown - 1TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3TD - Houston Texans - 1This is the winner here guys. :thumbup:
I hope your at least "close" to the winner, because that looks a hell-of-a-lot like my roster (though I went with AD Peterson to back up Bush and FWP, and Housh over Evans as my WR1).

QB - Drew Brees - 21QB - Matt Schaub - 10RB - Reggie Bush - 45RB - Willie Parker - 44RB - Cadillac Williams - 21RB - Dominic Rhodes - 3RB - T.J. Duckett - 2RB - Tony Hunt - 1WR - Lee Evans - 29WR - Bernard Berrian - 16WR - Santonio Holmes - 14WR - Ronald Curry - 8WR - Wes Welker - 3WR - Amani Toomer - 3WR - Jacoby Jones - 2WR - Kevin Walter - 1TE - Jason Witten - 19TE - Eric Johnson - 1PK - Josh Brown - 2PK - Kris Brown - 1TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3TD - Houston Texans - 1This is the winner here guys. :thumbup:
I hope your at least "close" to the winner, because that looks a hell-of-a-lot like my roster (though I went with AD Peterson to back up Bush and FWP, and Housh over Evans as my WR1).
I noticed that as well. :shrug:

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith said:
DanteInBfe said:
Probably to leave breathing room in case FBG has technical difficulties.
Not true. It was actually just to screw over very busy people, that don't have time to read.

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith said:
DanteInBfe said:
Probably to leave breathing room in case FBG has technical difficulties.
Not true. It was actually just to screw over very busy people, that don't have time to read.
The honest truth is that it was just an elaborate scheme to screw over guys named Dante. Joe is not a big fan of Clerks, sorry.

QB - Eli Manning - 14

QB - David Garrard - 2

I took a gamble on Eli. I think he's got huge upside, but huge downside. If he hits I'm going to go far.

RB - Larry Johnson - 49

RB - Travis Henry - 43

RB - LaMont Jordan - 19

RB - Leon Washington - 14

RB - Ron Dayne - 3

RB - Tony Hunt - 1

LJ at 49 compared to LT's price was a bargain. With LJ & Henry I have a very strong 1-2 punch. Jordan as RB3 is decent.

Washington and Hunt will give me a big game every once in a while.

WR - Ronald Curry - 8

WR - Bobby Wade - 5

WR - Ernest Wilford - 3

WR - Roddy White - 3

WR - Chris Henry - 2

Went cheap here with gambles on upside. Curry, Wade, White, and Henry. Hey, one of those guys is going to have a decent year.

TE - Antonio Gates - 35

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

In this TE-enhanced scoring Gates was an absolute must.

PK - Jeff Wilkins - 3

PK - Mike Nugent - 2

Went after big legs.

TD - Denver Broncos - 4

Went with solid D and a sleeper D.

I'm feeling pretty good. My entire team hinges on Eli Manning tho.... :shock:

Was going to spend $37 on Peyton - CPep - Garrard, but decided to go on the cheap and

save $8. My 2nd biggest worry aside from also going cheap at WR (3 at $29)

QB - Matt Leinart - 14 Lots of eggs in the Leinart Basket

QB - Jake Delhomme - 13 Has a better supporting cast and I believe he will rebound in '07

QB - David Garrard - 2 Everybody's doing it

The 'Flex' starter is a huge alteration to this year's contest. RBs tend to be more predictable

in their weekly production so I wanted to focus most of my energies here. In past years I

overspent on RBs and many weeks I had three or more RBs scoring bunches of points but

only got credit for two of them. That changes in 2007 RB is where my strengths lie and as

they go - so will my team. :shock: (5 at $149)

RB - Joseph Addai - 46 PPR STUD

RB - Reggie Bush - 45 PPR STUD

RB - Ahman Green - 23 I think he has one more top 10 PPR season left in him

RB - LaMont Jordan - 19 Can't be as bad as '06 and Rhodes is out for first 4 weeks

RB - Kevin Jones - 16 Was a PPR stud in 2006 No PUP so hoping he is back sooner than later.

Went Cheap on WRs - Quantity over quality because the WR position more than any other

has a much better chance of steady production at low price tags. Unfortunately there won't

be any opportunities to separate myself from the pack here because these are all going to

be commonly owned WRs. My biggest concern are injuries. Since my strategy is to throw

a bunch of mediocre fantasy WRs at the wall it can only succeed if there are 5 or 6 of these

guys healthy enough to throw at the proverbial wall each week and and hope to 'hit' on at

least 2 of them most weeks. (7 at $38) :excited:

WR - Ronald Curry - 8

WR - Marty Booker - 5

WR - Wes Welker - 3

WR - Patrick Crayton - 3

WR - Jacoby Jones - 2

Shuffled money back and forth at TE countless times, because I really wanted Gates or Winslow,

but in the end decided to go cheap at TE and slightly upgrade elsewhere. (3 at $19)

TE - Owen Daniels - 11

TE - Greg Olsen - 7

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

Meh Kickers - I had an extra $2 at the end and decided to splurge on Stover (2 at $4)

Would like to have picked up an extra kicker, but couldn't justify cutting back elsewhere.

PK - Matt Stover - 3

PK - John Kasay - 1

I think I snagged 2 of the top 5 Team Ds and didnt mind spending a little more (2 at $11)

I couldn't bring myself to cut back at the skill positions or else I would have grabbed a 3rd

defense. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt me...

TD - Chicago Bears - 8

Fairly happy with my team and I believe that 3 RBs will keep me alive deep into the contest. Last year I survived to the final cut with a similar strategy and will be satisfied with a repeat performance in 2007.

QB - Matt Leinart - 14

QB - David Garrard - 2

I think Matt Leinart is posed for a Carson Palmer year 2 type of season. I loved his value in this contest. When Garrard got the starter slot, he was a no-brainer and then I added Culpepper to maximize my potential coverage on Leinart's bye week.

RB - Joseph Addai - 46

RB - Rudi Johnson - 40

RB - Brandon Jacobs - 26

RB - Brian Leonard - 3

My RB strategy was simple. Flex points = RB points usually. So I wanted three solid RB's with almost nothing behind them. That way I'm covered during a bye and hopefully getting three starting, solid point totals from my RB's every week. 2 normal and the one flex spot. I debated long and hard between Addai and Parker + better receivers, but I couldn't find an upgrade to receiver that I liked with the right bye weeks and I think Addai is going to get a ton of receptions. My depth is sad. But, I didn't like the lesser dollar RB's at all outside of Leonard and maybe Tony Hunt

WR - Donald Driver - 30

WR - Marques Colston - 27

WR - Joe Horn - 7

WR - Ted Ginn - 4

WR - Patrick Crayton - 3

WR - Jacoby Jones - 2

Here I wanted 3 solid #1 WR guys on teams I think are going to pass a lot (I think Green Bay is going to pass a WHOLE lot), and then supplement it with guys who have a shot at carrying me with a TD or so during BYE's and not-so-fabulous performances. Horn is a guy who's totally under the radar and I liked him for 7 bucks, my only regret is not turning Ted Ginn into Wes Welker

TE - Dallas Clark - 12

TE - Bubba Franks - 3

TE - Donald Lee - 1

I just went a little cheap here, but I still the Green Bay is going to pass a TON and with only 2 TE's on their roster I liked the TEBC pairing. I don't want big points from TE, I just don't want to lose because of my TE's.

PK - Neil Rackers - 2

PK - Kris Brown - 1

I feel a Rackers come back.

TD - San Francisco 49ers - 2

The two biggest SLEEPER defenses I can find.

I am excited about this team. I had a feeling a lot of people were going to go with the Peyton Mannings and LT's, I just wanted to go a little outside the box. I figured not many would take Addai, and if he produces the way I think he will, he could be a big reason I go far in this contest... or die quickly.

My team:

QB - Drew Brees - 21

QB - Matt Schaub - 10

RB - Steven Jackson - 60

RB - Laurence Maroney - 38

RB - Brian Leonard - 3

RB - Sammy Morris - 3

WR - Reggie Wayne - 39

WR - Steve Smith - 3

WR - Anthony Gonzalez - 3

WR - Jacoby Jones - 2

WR - Sinorice Moss - 1

TE - Mark Campbell - 2

TE - Donald Lee - 1

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

PK - Nate Kaeding - 4

PK - Ryan Longwell - 1

TD - Miami Dolphins - 4

Total value: 249

LHUCKS said:
Gr00vus said:
QB - Matt Hasselbeck - 15QB - J.P. Losman - 12QB - Jeff Garcia - 8
Too light IMHO...top teams will get better production at QB...remember you've got to beat 1000s of teams...not enough upside here.
Gr00vus said:
WR - Vincent Jackson - 17WR - Santonio Holmes - 14WR - Brandon Marshall - 11WR - Craig Davis - 5WR - Sidney Rice - 3WR - Wes Welker - 3WR - Jacoby Jones - 2WR - Chris Henry - 2
Simply not strong enough...this is where you're going to lose. Not bad overall but your WRs will be your downfall IMHO.
I disagree on the qbs, I think from the three of those guys (two on bye weeks) I'll get enough production to be competitive at the position. Like I said I think all three of these guys are undervalued right now, and I think Hass will outperform 5 or 6 guys currently ranked ahead of him this year. Pretty much all upside for these guys in my option.As for the receivers - it's a calculated gamble. All it takes is two or three a week to be decent and I think it'll keep me in the hunt. If one or two go off, so much the better. But yeah that's the weak spot in my entry admittedly. Like you've said earlier (game theory, etc.), you've got to differentiate or you've got no shot of making it out of the herd, so I went this way. Still haven't seen Sidney on anyone's entry :angry: .

Raiders said:
Actually if you look at the rosters of 95% of the teams that made it to the 4 week playoff last year they all had LT2, R Bush, F Gore. The other 5% had S Jacx or W Parker, and most of the teams also had P Manning. What ultimatly seperated teams was the addition of a couple cheap players like B Edwards.
Those stats are a) misleading b) not applicable (4 week playoff round is insignificant IMHO) and c)come from too small of a dataset(1 year).Mathematically your best chance to win it all is to have a unique, successful team IMHO. I'm playing for first place, not to make it to the 4 week playoff.

I did this in 5 minutes while I was on the toilet and sweating heavily. I hope it's legitimate.

QB - Carson Palmer - 26

QB - Matt Leinart - 14

QB - Joey Harrington - 6

RB - Reggie Bush - 45

RB - Brandon Jacobs - 26

RB - Warrick Dunn - 12

RB - Dominic Rhodes - 3

RB - Brian Leonard - 3

WR - Muhsin Muhammad - 13

WR - Wes Welker - 3

WR - Jacoby Jones - 2

WR - Chris Henry - 2

TE - Chris Cooley - 22

TE - Owen Daniels - 11

PK - Josh Brown - 2

PK - Jason Hanson - 2

TD - New England Patriots - 6

TD - Philadelphia Eagles - 3

I disagree on the qbs, I think from the three of those guys (two on bye weeks) I'll get enough production to be competitive at the position.
I definitely think they'll be competitive, but I don't think you can WIN with them. Are you playing for first or are you playing for top 10%?

Raiders said:
Actually if you look at the rosters of 95% of the teams that made it to the 4 week playoff last year they all had LT2, R Bush, F Gore. The other 5% had S Jacx or W Parker, and most of the teams also had P Manning. What ultimatly seperated teams was the addition of a couple cheap players like B Edwards.
Those stats are a) misleading b) not applicable (4 week playoff round is insignificant IMHO) and c)come from too small of a dataset(1 year).Mathematically your best chance to win it all is to have a unique, successful team IMHO. I'm playing for first place, not to make it to the 4 week playoff.
Too bad you won't come close to either.....

Raiders said:
Another thoughtful post from Bristol...it's posts like this that make the pool what it is in September.

I disagree on the qbs, I think from the three of those guys (two on bye weeks) I'll get enough production to be competitive at the position.
I definitely think they'll be competitive, but I don't think you can WIN with them. Are you playing for first or are you playing for top 10%?
I think I can win with Hass, especially given that his price allows me to be better elsewhere (running back, te). Like I said, I think Gates will be dominant this year in general, and will be a big factor in winning this league given the 1.5 ppr for TEs. The prices I paid for that are taking a "risk" at qb with Hass (although to me the risk isn't really a risk and besides it's distributed by having Lossman and Garcia any of which could have a big day on any given Sunday), and budget receivers.

Well, new to survivor-type contests, and unfortunately also new to PPR, so I undervalued WRs:

QB - Matt Hasselbeck - 15

QB - Matt Schaub - 10

QB - David Garrard - 2

Garrard is almost a non-entity given how many rosters I have seen him on, but maybe he outscores Manning on occasion and keeps me close in the QB category.

RB - Joseph Addai - 46

RB - Rudi Johnson - 40

RB - Laurence Maroney - 38

RB - Anthony Thomas - 4

Most of the budget went to RB ($151) - I hope this will maximize RB and Flex position points all season. If I survive long, this will be the reason why.

WR - Brandon Marshall - 11

WR - Wes Welker - 3

WR - Patrick Crayton - 3

WR - Jacoby Jones - 2

A bunch of shots in the dark at WR, and a lot of teams have Welker, Crayton and Jones - it will be very tough, if at all, to distinguish my team here.

TE - Owen Daniels - 11

TE - Bo Scaife - 9

Solid, if not spectacular, TEs - some upside.

PK - Jeff Wilkins - 3

PK - Neil Rackers - 2

PK - Jason Hanson - 2

No real rhyme or reason to the Ks - I wanted warm-weather/dome kickers. I went with 3 because I thought the position had a high degree of variability - the more options the better the chance of having at least 1 kicker have a big week or avoiding all kickers who have 4 XPs in a given week. I have seen enough posts to know that many do not see that same value.

TD - Cincinnati Bengals - 3

TD - New York Giants - 3

TD - Kansas City Chiefs - 2

Nothing spectacular about the Ds - obviously hoping for lots of sacks and TOs. I went with 3 using the same logic as the Ks - the more options, the less likelihood of laying an egg in this category.

Needless to say, the success of my team will depend on maximizing RB and Flex positions. My only serious bye-week issue is in week 5 when I am down to just Addai and Maroney as my starting RBs, but the only other potential starter out that week is the Cincy D.

Mathematically your best chance to win it all is to have a unique, successful team IMHO.
Interesting...Al: "What will it take for this team to win tonight, John?"John: "Well, I think the key is for them to score a lot of points, and not let their opponent score as many points."

Hey LHUCKS, critique my team, if you don't care.

QB - Drew Brees - 21

QB - Damon Huard - 4

RB - LaDainian Tomlinson - 70

RB - Reggie Bush - 45

RB - Warrick Dunn - 12

RB - T.J. Duckett - 2

RB - Tony Hunt - 1

WR - Chad Johnson - 43

WR - Roscoe Parrish - 3

WR - Jacoby Jones - 2

WR - Devin Hester - 2

WR - Chris Henry - 2

TE - Todd Heap - 26

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

PK - Jason Hanson - 2

PK - Rob Bironas - 1

PK - Nick Folk - 1

PK - Sebastian Janikowski - 1

TD - Kansas City Chiefs - 2

TD - Houston Texans - 1

Is my WRs "unique" enough to do well?

Thanks...

QB - Vince Young TEN (bye: 4) - $17

QB - Trent Green MIA (bye: 9) - $7

QB - Joey Harrington ATL (bye: 8) - $6

I really like the mix of QB's I have, not alot of other teams went this way.

RB - Frank Gore SF (bye: 6) - $48

RB - Brandon Jacobs NYG (bye: 9) - $26

RB - Ladell Betts WAS (bye: 4) - $14

RB - Tony Hunt PHI (bye: 5) - $1

My weakness for sure, hoping Betts sees lots of action

WR - Terrell Owens DAL (bye: 8) - $40

WR - Santonio Holmes PIT (bye: 6) - $14

WR - Kevin Curtis PHI (bye: 5) - $10

WR - Drew Bennett STL (bye: 9) - $6

WR - Joe Jurevicius CLE (bye: 7) - $4

WR - Patrick Crayton DAL (bye: 8) - $3

WR - Bobby Engram SEA (bye: 8) - $3

To offset my "weak" RB core...a *new* strategy this year...let's see if it works.

TE - Kellen Winslow Jr CLE (bye: 7) - $24

TE - Bo Scaife TEN (bye: 4) - $9

TE - Donald Lee GB (bye: 7) - $1

PK Olindo Mare NO (bye: 4) - $3

PK Jason Hanson DET (bye: 6) - $2

PK Nick Folk DAL (bye: 8) - $1

TD Chicago Bears CHI (bye: 9) - $8

TD Minnesota Vikings MIN (bye: 5) - $3

Raiders said:
Another thoughtful post from Bristol...it's posts like this that make the pool what it is in September.
Just trying to snap you back into reality good buddy......

My strategy was get 22 guys and spend $250.

It went something like this...

QB - Rex Grossman - 13

QB - Jake Delhomme - 13

QB - Jeff Garcia - 8

QB - Joey Harrington - 6

RB - LaMont Jordan - 19

RB - Fred Taylor - 17

RB - DeShaun Foster - 13

RB - Anthony Thomas - 4

WR - T.J. Houshmandzadeh - 34

WR - Jerricho Cotchery - 24

WR - Joey Galloway - 20

WR - Brandon Jones - 12

WR - Chris Henry - 2

WR - Shaun McDonald - 1

TE - Antonio Gates - 35

TE - Bubba Franks - 3

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

PK - Olindo Mare - 3

PK - Jason Hanson - 2

Looks like I'm the only one that went with the 7 kicker startegy.... :shrug:

QB - Carson Palmer - 26

QB - Joey Harrington - 6

QB - David Garrard - 2

RB - Steven Jackson - 60

RB - Travis Henry - 43

WR - Andre Johnson - 33

WR - Calvin Johnson - 23

WR - Brandon Marshall - 11

WR - Patrick Crayton - 3

WR - Chris Henry - 2

TE - Bo Scaife - 9

TE - Ben Utecht - 4

PK - Rian Lindell - 1

PK - Ryan Longwell - 1

PK - Matt Bryant - 1

PK - Kris Brown - 1

PK - Rob Bironas - 1

PK - John Kasay - 1

PK - Nick Folk - 1

TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3

BassNBrew said:
Duckett was probably a waste.
From 2002-2006, TJ Duckett converted >50% of his goal line carries (47) into TDs (24). Tatum Bell has only 3 rushing TDs in goal line situations over 17 attempts. KJones is out, and I'm thinking Duckett is a great low cost/high potential reward player for this type of contest. If someone is going to get some goal line love in Detroit, I'll put my money on the guy who is proven in goal line situations, and is one of only 7 RBs above a 50% TD conversion rate in goal-line situations over the past 5 years. Even if TJ is only worthwhile until KJones is back, there is likely $2 of value at least through week 7 after DET's week 6 BYE.Jason Wood did a nice piece last week on Duckett for the FBG blog. Definitely worth the read.

Looks like I'm the only one that went with the 7 kicker startegy.... :unsure: QB - Carson Palmer - 26QB - Joey Harrington - 6QB - David Garrard - 2RB - Steven Jackson - 60RB - Travis Henry - 43RB - Brandon Jackson - 15WR - Andre Johnson - 33WR - Calvin Johnson - 23WR - Brandon Marshall - 11WR - Patrick Crayton - 3WR - Chris Henry - 2TE - Bo Scaife - 9TE - Ben Utecht - 4PK - Rian Lindell - 1PK - Ryan Longwell - 1PK - Matt Bryant - 1PK - Kris Brown - 1PK - Rob Bironas - 1PK - John Kasay - 1PK - Nick Folk - 1TD - Green Bay Packers - 3TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3
:bag:

TheWick said:
Looks like I'm the only one that went with the 7 kicker startegy.... :football: QB - Carson Palmer - 26QB - Joey Harrington - 6QB - David Garrard - 2RB - Steven Jackson - 60RB - Travis Henry - 43RB - Brandon Jackson - 15WR - Andre Johnson - 33WR - Calvin Johnson - 23WR - Brandon Marshall - 11WR - Patrick Crayton - 3WR - Chris Henry - 2TE - Bo Scaife - 9TE - Ben Utecht - 4PK - Rian Lindell - 1PK - Ryan Longwell - 1PK - Matt Bryant - 1PK - Kris Brown - 1PK - Rob Bironas - 1PK - John Kasay - 1PK - Nick Folk - 1TD - Green Bay Packers - 3TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3
So what 3 WRs are you going start week 6?
:lmao:

QB - Drew Brees - 21

QB - Jeff Garcia - 8

QB - David Garrard - 2

RB - Larry Johnson - 49

RB - Ahman Green - 23

RB - Kevin Jones - 16

RB - Brian Leonard - 3

WR - Terrell Owens - 40

WR - Ronald Curry - 8

WR - Wes Welker - 3

WR - Chris Henry - 2

TE - Visanthe Shiancoe - 4

TE - Eric Johnson - 1

PK - Jeff Wilkins - 3

PK - John Kasay - 1

PK - Nick Folk - 1

TD - San Diego Chargers - 5

TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3

TheWick said:
Looks like I'm the only one that went with the 7 kicker startegy.... :) QB - Carson Palmer - 26QB - Joey Harrington - 6QB - David Garrard - 2RB - Steven Jackson - 60RB - Travis Henry - 43RB - Brandon Jackson - 15WR - Andre Johnson - 33WR - Calvin Johnson - 23WR - Brandon Marshall - 11WR - Patrick Crayton - 3WR - Chris Henry - 2TE - Bo Scaife - 9TE - Ben Utecht - 4PK - Rian Lindell - 1PK - Ryan Longwell - 1PK - Matt Bryant - 1PK - Kris Brown - 1PK - Rob Bironas - 1PK - John Kasay - 1PK - Nick Folk - 1TD - Green Bay Packers - 3TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3
So what 3 WRs are you going start week 6?
:shrug:
Hook line and sinker ;)

DanteInBfe said:
Because there is a lot of work to do to get all the programming done to run this contest. We lock down the database (and make a copy of it) so no one can hack themselves into a winner too after the fact.

After looking at most of the rosters posted, it looks like I have a unique squad, as very few have Romo, James, and Porter. Didn't spend much time on it at all, but I like it.

$$$ Player......... Bye week

..............QB......................

$20 Tony Romo------- 8 I totally beleive in him

$10 Matt Schaub------10

$2 David Garrard-----4

.............RB.......................

$29 Edgerrin James-- 8

$22 Jamal Lewis-------7 Will catch many more passes than projected

$21 Cadillac Williams-10

$15 Venand Morency- 7

$13 DeShaun Foster---7 Not a fan, but he is a starter

$3 Sammy Morris----10 Could be touchdown vulture and more

Edge and Caddy have Washington and Detroit in week 7, no problem.

.............WR......................

$29 Lee Evans---------6 Stud

$17 Vincent Jackson--7 Really like his value and he's always in sround the red zone.

$11 Brandon Marshall- 6 EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

$9 Devery Henderson- 4 Starter on high powered offense, will put up some big games.

$11 Jerry Porter-------5 #1 option? Like his upside more than Curry's. has done it before.

$4 Troy Williamson---5 Cheap starter who could have some big games, could bomb again.

$3 Wes Welker-------10 #3 wr who could catch a lot of balls with injury prone guys in front of him

..............TE....................

$20 Jason Witten------8 In for a huge year

$1 Eric Johnson-------4 Has had an 80+ catche season

...............K....................

$2 Jason Hanson-------6 Dome kicker on offense that could put up some high scoring games.

$1 Nick Folk------------8 Big leg on a high scoring offense

..............DT................

$3 Dallas Cowboys-----8 Wade Phillips will turn this group into a force

$5 San Diego Chargers-7 A top D again

STRATEGY

- Obviously, try to find room for any player you see as a major value.

- Studs are overvalued in a best ball format. People look at LT carrying teams last year, but that was an aberration -- no stud, not even LT, can be expected to put up the kind of numbers that LT did on a week-to-week. Depth is the key, and you can only get depth without blowing the budget on studs.

- At 6 pts per TD, it is very important to get two highly ranked QBs. QBs score a lot of points, and you can't afford mediocre weeks from your QBs. If your best QB score in a week is 200/1/1 (13 pts), when other teams will have 300/2/0 (27 pts) or 260/3/1 (30 pts), that's a huge handicap. Guys like Schaub and Harrington look like great values, but they'll have a lot of 200/1/1 games and not very many 300/2/0 games. And QBs are relatively cheap compared to studs at other positions.

- Minimum of two defenses and two kickers. This should be a no brainer, but you'd be surprised how many people don't bother. Where else can you get guaranteed production from a $1 roster spot?

- Maximum of two defenses. And cheap defenses at that. With no scoring based on yardage and points allowed (except for shutouts, which are rare and generally random), they just don't score enough to be worth spending a lot of cap dollars.

- Looks for kickers that make 40+ and 50+ yard FGs on a regular basis. With bonus scoring for long FGs, guys like Jason Hanson and John Kasay are top-12 kickers, and they can be had for $2 and $1 respectively.

- Maxmium of two TEs. Don't be fooled by 1.5 per reception. There will still be only a dozen TEs that average 10 ppg, while there will be 40 WRs at that level. If you have two decent TEs, save the roster spots for WR (see below)

- Load up on inexpensive WRs. I focused on WRs that were very likely to be the top WR for their team on most weeks. That way, all you need is a good game by that team's offense for the receiver to be a contender for your top 3 (or flex). Personally, I believe that most WR2 are a mirage, unless you're talking about a WR who's just as good as the WR1. Someone like Greg Jennings or Wes Welker might put up a solid 8-12 points most weeks, but you don't win best ball contests with six WRs always scoring 8-12 points. You win with seven receivers scoring 17 points on good games and 5 points on bad games. Even if a player will have more bad weeks than good, you still survive when the other teams' WR2s disappear completely.

- Finally, when in doubt, look for good matchups for weeks 11 through 13. There will be 37.5%, 50%, and 50% of submissions eliminated each of those weeks, when prior weeks generally eliminate just 15%. (I learned this from experience, having been eliminated in the final 50% cutdown last year. Frankly, I probably should have weighted the matchups for these weeks even more than I did.)

My team:

QB - Drew Brees - 21

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - 18

QB - David Garrard - 2

RB - Willie Parker - 44

RB - Cadillac Williams - 21

RB - DeShaun Foster - 13

RB - Brian Leonard - 3

WR - Joey Galloway - 20

WR - Ronald Curry - 8

WR - Arnaz Battle - 5

WR - Troy Williamson - 4

WR - Dwayne Bowe - 4

WR - Roddy White - 3

TE - Ben Watson - 15

TE - Bo Scaife - 9

PK - Jason Hanson - 2

PK - John Kasay - 1

TD - Washington Redskins - 2

TD - Houston Texans - 1

STRENGTHS:

- Two QBs who should score well without costing Manning money

- Quality at RB (four good RB who will be their teams' starter for 12-16 games)

- Quantity at WR

- The cheapest "good" TE (just like in a normal draft, you want the last TE from the top tier before you get to the players who won't even break 400 yards)

WEAKNESSES:

- Too many Steelers. Parker and Roethlisberger seemed like great value, and Holmes is a top breakout candidate, but if the team struggles under the new coaching regime, I could be dead very quickly.

- Hit-or-miss defenses. I was hoping to have a little extra to spend on a team like Green Bay, but I couldn't get the numbers to work out.

- WRs may be deep, but there are a lot of bust candidates. I have to hope that carrying 8 WRs will overcome the high risk, high reward approach.

Users who are viewing this thread