What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (3 Viewers)

'Matthias said:
For those complaining about the dungeons, have you been to Blackreach yet?
Nope. But I'll now watch for it.
Might cure some of your itch at least, you'll know when you find it.
Without any spoilers, I got to the entrance of blackreach last night. retraced my steps for about an hour looking for what I missed, finally googled for answer. Will be going in, in the next day or two.

'Matthias said:
Time to make my Azura's Star decision. So torn...
Black star = much better.And they are evil bandits who end up filling it, so no guilt :)
I've given up on that. I can't even get past Malyn's flunkies. And it isn't even close. :cry:
What worked for me after lots of tries that didn't
I sprinted to where the platform bends and then summoned an atronach. Then I ran back 30 yards. Malyn's flunkies hacked on the atronach and then Malyn came back to help out. I dropped an arrow or two into Malyn and then he ran at me. I finished him off with whatever (I forget) and quaffed a couple of potions to not die before getting beamed out of there.I also tried shouting him off of the mountain but no dice. :hot:
Be absoultely sure you harvest the daedra hearts from these guys after you kill them. (Not using spoiler tags because daedra hearts are hard to come by and you need to seize the opportunity to acquire them whenever you can). You need them to make daedric weapons.

'joker said:
So where are you guys finding all this awesome Daedric/Ebony/etc stuff? I've found some decent items, but nothing spectacular as of yet. Is it because I haven't done a dungeon in a while? I've been doing lots of quest lines (Thieves Guild, Mages College, Main quest, etc.) but haven't finished any all the way through yet, and because of that I haven't popped down into any dungeons recently. Maybe I have to take on some of those side quests I have for clearing out this crypt and that barrow, etc?
Finishing the mages college nets you some nice gear. I'm level 25 now and still use the three items you get. I've not done any enchanting yet but think I'll get into it. I've played my guy as a selfish power-hungry wizard that abhors manual labor (so smithing / mining) is out, but I think his interest in the arcane and power would make enchanting ok.Oh yeah, dual-cast ice storm is my new favorite thing ever. Lydia isn't a fan, however.

I'm curious - how many people are role-playing a specific character (like Ignoramus just mentioned)? Like a character that does or doesn't do certain things.

For example, I'm playing a dual wield thiefy build with just a little magic to heal/etc. This character has no interest in the civil war, the champions, the mages college, etc. I barely care about the main quest (basically went up the mountain to learn my shouts, and that's been it.)

I plan to play again with different characters. A two-handed warrior who will do the companions and stormcloak questlines (and probably forge his own weapons), then a mage who will do the mages college, and take the imperial side in the war.

There's no right or wrong way to play, but I personally find the above really fun.

Being my first RPG effort, I just look to stay alive in my battles. I have not done any companion quests but being that I structured my Brenton to be a Mage, I did complete the College of Winterfell quest line.

I am focusing on Destruction and Conjuration right now. Although reading Greg's post (I think it was him), I may start working on restoration also.

I haven't played in 3 days and I can't wait to fire it up tonight.

Is there any way of picking up stuff without taking it?
Yes. It is the basis for one of the cheats by which you walk into a store, put baskets over everyone's head, and steal the place blind. I'd rather pick the lock and do it that way.In fact, during one of the bigger quests one of the main characters died. Instead of seeing what he had on him I accidentally started moving him and his compatriots told me (quite sternly) to put him down. Nice touch.

Yes. It is the basis for one of the cheats by which you walk into a store, put baskets over everyone's head, and steal the place blind. I'd rather pick the lock and do it that way.In fact, during one of the bigger quests one of the main characters died. Instead of seeing what he had on him I accidentally started moving him and his compatriots told me (quite sternly) to put him down. Nice touch.
How do you p/u bodies?

'Matthias said:
I'm curious - how many people are role-playing a specific character (like Ignoramus just mentioned)? Like a character that does or doesn't do certain things. For example, I'm playing a dual wield thiefy build with just a little magic to heal/etc. This character has no interest in the civil war, the champions, the mages college, etc. I barely care about the main quest (basically went up the mountain to learn my shouts, and that's been it.)I plan to play again with different characters. A two-handed warrior who will do the companions and stormcloak questlines (and probably forge his own weapons), then a mage who will do the mages college, and take the imperial side in the war. There's no right or wrong way to play, but I personally find the above really fun.
In past Bethesda games, I'd do everything in one character. I think in Skyrim, I'm going to do different things with different characters. Although I'm not sure if I want to do the civil war in any of them: both sides seem like #####.
No doubt they're both a bunch of #######s, but only one of them wanted to lop off my head. I free every guy I come across that's being held by the Imperial scum.

How do you p/u bodies?
hold down the action button

How do you p/u bodies?
hold down the action button
Thanks so much.

So after reading most of this thread I decided to pick this up. Just fooling around in the begining doing an orc fighter character. Any tips on things I shouldn't be doing? I wandered around and found myself in a cave with a bunch of vampires who beat my ### pretty soundly.

A nice tip for anyone who's found Sky Haven Temple -

If you go out the back exit, you'll be on top of the mountain. Directly below is a river. Use the "Become Ethereal" shout and jump off the mountain to the river below. There you'll find a broken boat half moored on a thin sliver of coast. Inside is a crapload of precious gems: rubies, diamonds, emeralds, etc. In the river (underwater) is a chest with further loot.

I would have never found this except I like base jumping, so saved then used the ethereal shout and jumped. Imagine my surprise when I landed on top of the mother lode. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
'Sand said:
'NorvilleBarnes said:
Thanks - I guess I was asking "How".Also, is there some secret to getting a dragon to fight you? Had one flying over me for about 30 minutes without ever engaging in battle. Tried shooting some arrows at it but really had no chance with the lag.

After reaching some high levels with my thief/assassin I decided to try out a melee character. Having a lot of fun with a Imperial Sword/Shield combo. It is a little tougher against some opponents but he just cuts dragaurs like butter with a silver sword. Roleplaying as kinda a lost/disgraced imperial legion soldier on the road to redemption right now. Rushing into battle and using a shield and sword is alot different than sneaking around with daggers and bows.

'NorvilleBarnes said:
Hold down the action button for a second or two, then let it go, and the object will "stick" to your cursor and you can carry it around. You don't have to continually hold the button like you had to in past versions.

Also, is there some secret to getting a dragon to fight you? Had one flying over me for about 30 minutes without ever engaging in battle. Tried shooting some arrows at it but really had no chance with the lag.
Not really. I've had them refuse to engage. And I've tried to hide and had them plop down right on top of me. Just depends. :shrug:

On prices you get for enchanting weapons... Turn Undead and Damage Stamina both give better than what I said before.

'Matthias said:
Went through Dead Man's Respite last night. That was a fun dungeon. Also the two-handed destruction spells with stagger is awesome. Thanks to Greg for suggesting getting it; not sure if I would've spent the perk otherwise.
Yeah, I think I would have to say it's the best mage perk I've come across so far. Killed two dragons today that barely got any breath weapons off because I kept staggering them with dual cast lightning bolts anytime they hovered or landed.

Just had my first backward dragon encounter. You cant engage them because they wont come down for you. It was frustrating til I figured it out.

Then my game froze. Stoopid PS3.

I love/hate the way that the environment levels up with you. I'm up to level 24 as a conjuration/destruction mage and sometimes feel invincible. But I was wandering around last night up near Azura's Shrine and came across this place called Kastav's Fort. No quest up for it, but just happened to see it. Even after summoning my dremora lord and opening up dual wielding firebolts, I was getting my #### handed to me by a couple of mages. Ended up just bailing on it.

Went online and saw the recommended level for that place is 6! Good lord.

Unrelated: where is the best place to stock up on empty soul gems? I'm filling them fast with a soul capture spell and crafting them into weapons to level enchanting.

thx

2 things. I still can't find the freaking conjuration spell. All I can do is raise zombies.

Secondly, I did the side quest to get rid of the dragon on elders peak, and all the stupid dragon would do is circle out of my range. I just gave up and took out a frost bear on the way down the mountain instead. Should I just go back up to the peak at a later time?

2 things. I still can't find the freaking conjuration spell. All I can do is raise zombies.Secondly, I did the side quest to get rid of the dragon on elders peak, and all the stupid dragon would do is circle out of my range. I just gave up and took out a frost bear on the way down the mountain instead. Should I just go back up to the peak at a later time?
You can buy spells off the court wizard at Windhelm. Or try the college of Winterhold.

'Matthias said:
I love/hate the way that the environment levels up with you. I'm up to level 24 as a conjuration/destruction mage and sometimes feel invincible. But I was wandering around last night up near Azura's Shrine and came across this place called Kastav's Fort. No quest up for it, but just happened to see it. Even after summoning my dremora lord and opening up dual wielding firebolts, I was getting my #### handed to me by a couple of mages. Ended up just bailing on it. Went online and saw the recommended level for that place is 6! Good lord.Unrelated: where is the best place to stock up on empty soul gems? I'm filling them fast with a soul capture spell and crafting them into weapons to level enchanting. thx
Clearing out necromancer dungeons generally net you a number of soul gems or
If you do the Azura daedra quest, you get Azura's star which is an infinitely refillable soul gem.
I'm partly through that quest but I do have a question...
Once you have the star can it hold an infinite number of souls or just hold one but be used an infinite number of times?

Love the way I can tell my sneak is leveling up. Although is does feel strange to be outside and see "Detected" and look around and not anything.

I have a love/hate relationship with my conjured Flame Atronach. Frequently in battle he won't show up, my spell just sort of goes Pfft and no FA - but when he does appear, he's a pretty good distraction.

Still, I feel like I'm surviving my battles only by drinking health potions during combat. Or worse, eating food. I like the animations they have for things like the grinding stone. It would be hilarious if your player stopped right in the middle of combat and sat down and slurped a bowl of cabbage soup and sipped some wine while everyone waited.

'Matthias said:
I love/hate the way that the environment levels up with you. I'm up to level 24 as a conjuration/destruction mage and sometimes feel invincible. But I was wandering around last night up near Azura's Shrine and came across this place called Kastav's Fort. No quest up for it, but just happened to see it. Even after summoning my dremora lord and opening up dual wielding firebolts, I was getting my #### handed to me by a couple of mages. Ended up just bailing on it. Went online and saw the recommended level for that place is 6! Good lord.Unrelated: where is the best place to stock up on empty soul gems? I'm filling them fast with a soul capture spell and crafting them into weapons to level enchanting. thx
Clearing out necromancer dungeons generally net you a number of soul gems or
If you do the Azura daedra quest, you get Azura's star which is an infinitely refillable soul gem.
I'm partly through that quest but I do have a question...
Once you have the star can it hold an infinite number of souls or just hold one but be used an infinite number of times?
It can only hold one soul at a time, but the star doesn't get destroyed when you use the soul -- you can refill it as needed.

So if you had to choose PC or Xbox..... I may make this a present for Christmas but not sure yet
So, you go and build a new rig to play games, and you ask THIS? You are dead to me, belljr.
If you have a new rig, PC for sure. The mods will keep adding to the game.
I dunno...as much as I love the mods (I had Oblivion on the PC), I'm wayyyy more comfortable kicking it on my couch and playing this on the big screen. And the game is so much fun that I'm already enjoying myself a ton as it is. While the PC may be the better way to go, I'm not sure that it's SO much better than my 360 as to make me give up the comfort and big screen.
I've got it on console but will probably keep an eye on Steam for a cheap copy for PC in the future. If I can get it for $30 a year from now when there will be a lot of great mods out I'll do it for sure.
This is what I'm doing and was my plan from release day.

Love the way I can tell my sneak is leveling up. Although is does feel strange to be outside and see "Detected" and look around and not anything.I have a love/hate relationship with my conjured Flame Atronach. Frequently in battle he won't show up, my spell just sort of goes Pfft and no FA - but when he does appear, he's a pretty good distraction. Still, I feel like I'm surviving my battles only by drinking health potions during combat. Or worse, eating food. I like the animations they have for things like the grinding stone. It would be hilarious if your player stopped right in the middle of combat and sat down and slurped a bowl of cabbage soup and sipped some wine while everyone waited.
You might be trying to cast her too far away? The cross hairs will turn red and the spell will go pffft.

I'm grinding my way through the civil war line and wishing I had even started it. These are some pretty boring missions, but joining up with the Stormcloaks resulted in several towns being turned into war zones, so I need to finish this quest line to get the world back to normal. Not a fan of this particular line.

How is this game when you're high? Seems like it would be nutsI'm asking for a friend
Great...according to a friend :unsure:
My friends say the same thing (especially w/ headphones and a large TV)
anyone hook this bad boy up to surround sound(don't know if it's even in 5.1 or whatever)? Those dragons would be teats on it I bet
Yup. I have pretty killer HT system in my house and play it on my bigscreen, it's pretty epic.

Tip for anyone who has met the leader of the Greybeards -

After you're done talking to him, climb to the very peak of the mountain. There you'll find a magic pickaxe and two veins of ebony and malachite.

Love the way I can tell my sneak is leveling up. Although is does feel strange to be outside and see "Detected" and look around and not anything.I have a love/hate relationship with my conjured Flame Atronach. Frequently in battle he won't show up, my spell just sort of goes Pfft and no FA - but when he does appear, he's a pretty good distraction. Still, I feel like I'm surviving my battles only by drinking health potions during combat. Or worse, eating food. I like the animations they have for things like the grinding stone. It would be hilarious if your player stopped right in the middle of combat and sat down and slurped a bowl of cabbage soup and sipped some wine while everyone waited.
You might be trying to cast her too far away? The cross hairs will turn red and the spell will go pffft.
I was getting that for a while, too, and I always pay attention to the crosshairs. I'd cast my summons right at my feet and nothing. Two feet away and nothing. Right behind Lydia and *finally*. For whatever reason I've noticed it working almost every time lately.

Ok, I've got a ton of saves on my 360 and would like to delete some of them, but don't know how. Someone please explain it to me like I'm a 3rd grader :boxing:

Why don't these people bury their dead? Seriously, the blacksmith in Riverwood was killed in my second encounter with a dragon when I hid like a little girl and let the townsfolk fight it, and then moved in for the finishing blow. Yet, even after half a year in the game world, he lies there. Not decaying, not eaten by wild animals, just like he was freshly killed. On top of that, his everyone acts like it just happened every time they walk by. Don't know why it annoys me so, but seriously, put that guy in the ground already.

Unrelated: where is the best place to stock up on empty soul gems? I'm filling them fast with a soul capture spell and crafting them into weapons to level enchanting. thx
Some places
The mages college has a fair number in the two dormitories. There are also a pair of display cases next to the enchanting altar on the 2nd floor that has probably 8-10 in it.Mainly though I just buy empty ones though. You can easily get a 30% discount on prices combining some thief guild armor, and an amulet and zenithar and a blessing from his altar. The amulet can be found at one such altar just outside Riften. Go to the stable and head down the hill, after second tower take a right along the tiny dirt path up the hill. There's always a critter there (spider, bear, cave bear, etc depending on level), and the altar and amulet lying there. The blessing will last for 8 real life hours, so stopping by at the start of a game session is enough to play all day on.With those and even just a little bit of speech, maybe a perk for lower prices, petty gems cost around 15-20 each. Mage trainers have a lot of them, and most any merchant who sells general stuff will have a few.

Done with this piece of @^.

BSOD (who even knew that Win7 HAD a BSOD?), video card crashes, motherboard crashes, reboots, automatic patches that break more things than they fix - even the internet cant solve these problems! (How is THAT possible?)

I'm actually semi convinced the game is breaking my video card (or Mobo).. have now had three hardware configurations where the thing starts out stable then a few hours later it all goes to you know where.

I'll try again in a few months hopefully there will be some mods and/or user patches that make the thing playable. Lag in PS3 seems minor by comparison.

Game is good fun, (even the in game glitches like self launching into orbit horses and mammoths are fun) but at the end of the day its Morrowind, slightly improved. Thats not a bad thing unless it breaks your computer..

Why don't these people bury their dead? Seriously, the blacksmith in Riverwood was killed in my second encounter with a dragon when I hid like a little girl and let the townsfolk fight it, and then moved in for the finishing blow. Yet, even after half a year in the game world, he lies there. Not decaying, not eaten by wild animals, just like he was freshly killed. On top of that, his everyone acts like it just happened every time they walk by. Don't know why it annoys me so, but seriously, put that guy in the ground already.
Blacksmith, elf, and a guard died in that attack for me. I hate seeing bodies laying around. I got them naked and pulled them into the river and shot flaming arrows at them as they drifted away. :banned:

Done with this piece of @^.BSOD (who even knew that Win7 HAD a BSOD?), video card crashes, motherboard crashes, reboots, automatic patches that break more things than they fix - even the internet cant solve these problems! (How is THAT possible?)I'm actually semi convinced the game is breaking my video card (or Mobo).. have now had three hardware configurations where the thing starts out stable then a few hours later it all goes to you know where.I'll try again in a few months hopefully there will be some mods and/or user patches that make the thing playable. Lag in PS3 seems minor by comparison.Game is good fun, (even the in game glitches like self launching into orbit horses and mammoths are fun) but at the end of the day its Morrowind, slightly improved. Thats not a bad thing unless it breaks your computer..
Hence why the general consensus is to play on a console. The game is developed for Xbox 360 and then ported to every other machine capable of playing it. The PS3 port is generally pretty buggy (my system of choice) but apparently the PC port is far, far worse. Aside from the ability to modify the game, I don't see any benefit of playing on the PC. Not worth the headaches IMO.

3 more freezes since the patch came out.

Again, I had ZERO before the patch.

It seems, once again, Betheseda makes a great product that crashes like crazy a couple days after you've been reeled in.

3 more freezes since the patch came out.Again, I had ZERO before the patch.It seems, once again, Betheseda makes a great product that crashes like crazy a couple days after you've been reeled in.
I've found that loading times are significantly longer post-patch. No freezes yet, but my game did hang on a loading screen once, requiring a restart. Maybe this is just me because I haven't seen this particular complaing elsewhere, but yeah this patch kind of sucked.

Users who are viewing this thread