What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza 3: Playlists are done, phwew (2 Viewers)

So, since this came from a thread about the essential songs post-2000, are we looking at drafting the most essential songs or the ones that we think are most relevant personally to us? I kind of want to draft twice, once with what I think are the essential songs and once with the ones that might be lesser known but I personally want more people to hear. And I don't have any non-obvious aliases.

Northern Voice said:
So, since this came from a thread about the essential songs post-2000, are we looking at drafting the most essential songs or the ones that we think are most relevant personally to us? I kind of want to draft twice, once with what I think are the essential songs and once with the ones that might be lesser known but I personally want more people to hear. And I don't have any non-obvious aliases.
I'm going with a mish-mash of the two, if that makes you any more certain. (I'm sure it doesn't.)

I'm going with a mish-mash of the two, if that makes you any more certain. (I'm sure it doesn't.)
I'm not as "hip" on post-2000 music so I'll be drafting things I know and like. Some of those categories would be a little foreign to me but I'll figure them out depending on what other options the dice brings.

I'm not as "hip" on post-2000 music
I'm solid on the aughts, but this decade is going to be rough. I've spent most of it rediscovering old artists and works that I never introduced myself to rather than concentrating on today's artists. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Any more discussion about categories?

A clarification on the Old Fart category.  It includes Solo performances from artists who were part of a band active prior to 1985.  For example, Mick Jagger's solo records are fair game.  Old tracks dug out of the vault and tacked on the end of expanded re-releases are ineligible.

Remixes can include new remixes of old songs.  If everybody hates this category, we can replace it.

If you're ready to declare your home genre, you can do it now.  Nothing is set in stone until round 1 (and maybe not even then).

Throwing one out there ... Short and Sweet (songs timed at 2:59 or less). Popular music has been trending shorter and shorter over the years anyway, so this would be right in this era's wheelhouse.

ETA: This category should definitely be called Short Cuts. And I am an idiot for not going straight to that name originally.

A clarification on the Old Fart category.  It includes Solo performances from artists who were part of a band active prior to 1985.  For example, Mick Jagger's solo records are fair game.  Old tracks dug out of the vault and tacked on the end of expanded re-releases are ineligible.

Remixes can include new remixes of old songs.  If everybody hates this category, we can replace it.

If you're ready to declare your home genre, you can do it now.  Nothing is set in stone until round 1 (and maybe not even then).
I'd like my home genre to be punk/emo, if we're declaring. 

Will old fart musicians be limited to the old fart category or will they be eligible in their musical genre as well (i.e. David Gilmore can be used in rock as well)

It's not an original category, I think we've had some version of it in every genrepalooza but I always like the #1 songs category. 

Do we have to pick a "home" category?

P.S. What about a "motown" feel category - I've heard quite a few artists that give off a Motownesque sound recently.

P.S. What about a "motown" feel category - I've heard quite a few artists that give off a Motownesque sound recently.
You could suggest that as a category but the "home"  category is just a get out of jail free card. So for example if the dice choose country and dance but you aren't a fan of those genres, you can always just choose a song from your "home" category.

This and Neo Soul would probably fit best under Rap/R&B.

I originally separated Rap and R&B but didn't know what to do for the million R&B songs with a rapped verse.

What about "Live songs?" Not the band ;)
I think we tried this in one of the previous Genrepaloozas.  People picked YouTube versions that weren't available for the Spotify mixes.

The live album was really a 20th century phenomenon.  Live albums today tend to be specialized releases targeted at the artist's hardcore fans.  I can't think of a recent live album that helped to break a band like Made in Japan or Live and Dangerous (to name two).

What about "Live songs?" Not the band ;)
I think we tried this in one of the previous Genrepaloozas.  People picked YouTube versions that weren't available for the Spotify mixes.

The live album was really a 20th century phenomenon.  Live albums today tend to be specialized releases targeted at the artist's hardcore fans.  I can't think of a recent live album that helped to break a band like Made in Japan or Live and Dangerous (to name two).
Don't we tend to have this same issue with Acoustic songs? Where the songs are not on Spotify.

Don't we tend to have this same issue with Acoustic songs? Where the songs are not on Spotify.
Possibly :shrug:  

I intended acoustic to be a catch-all category for quiet, acoustic guitar or piano-based songs.   They could be from folk, country or rock artists (or others).  Maybe there's a better label for it?

Possibly :shrug:  

I intended acoustic to be a catch-all category for quiet, acoustic guitar or piano-based songs.   They could be from folk, country or rock artists (or others).  Maybe there's a better label for it?
I don't want the category to disappear, it was probably going to be my home.

Hey there Delilah, What's it like in New York City...
My friend's sort of clueless girlfriend wanted to get him a t-shirt commemorating Jack and Meg White's music. Since she was so on top of it, she got him a Plain White T's t shirt from Hot Topic instead of getting him the White Stripes. She got the two confused. Apparently he looked at the gift upon receipt, and bewildered, just said "Thank you. This is very nice."

I was in hysterics when I saw him wear it to a party once. Naturally, I was drunk and spilled the beans right in front of her by completely ridiculing him and singing the song. "Wait! What?" she asked, "This is that band???"  His response: "Uh..."

:lmao:

We all laughed. She's a pretty cool person, band names notwithstanding. 

Users who are viewing this thread