What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Your Butt Back To The Office (1 Viewer)

As more people start to come back into our office, I'm noting that many of them still think they are working from home. 

Have seen several people in shorts, and last week saw a guy in a t-shirt with a big White Claw logo on it. 

We are a large Fortune 100 defense/technology company. That type of dress would have had people being called into their managers' office prior to March 2020. 

Get off my lawn?

Guilty.  (Not of the white claw thing, but shorts, yeah)

Work for a global company with many clothing / footwear brands.  We were bought  into the corporation in 2017 and corporate people would show up to our offices in flip flops, hoodies, short etc.  Our HR didn't know what the hell to do. Just 3 years earlier we had moved from office casual to jeans.  They passed a more relaxed code, but then covid hit.  

I have not been back to office since 3/13/20 and probably won't until sometime next year.  Once that happens though I'll be partaking in the flip flop / hoodie / shorts dress code (as that is what the folks that are currently choosing to go to the office are now wearing), and it will probably be only 2/3 times a month.  I've got a 35 mile / 40 minute commute, so I'm thankful for the extra 2 hours a day that I get to spend with the kids, dogs, lawn, golf etc.

Skipdog77 said:
As more people start to come back into our office, I'm noting that many of them still think they are working from home. 

Have seen several people in shorts, and last week saw a guy in a t-shirt with a big White Claw logo on it. 

We are a large Fortune 100 defense/technology company. That type of dress would have had people being called into their managers' office prior to March 2020. 

Get off my lawn?

I think this type of stuff is going to be more normal.  People have changed the way they think about work and what is important to them.  Does wearing a t-shirt vs a suit make the work product worse?  If anything, being more comfortable should be more beneficial.  

I think this type of stuff is going to be more normal.  People have changed the way they think about work and what is important to them.  Does wearing a t-shirt vs a suit make the work product worse?  If anything, being more comfortable should be more beneficial.  
Obviously production line guys aren't expected wear suits (well, nobody is), but wearing a t-shirt with a big alcoholic beverage advertisement on it to work? Completely unprofessional. 

I still roll into the office with khakis (or nicer jeans) and a button-up with Chuck Taylors or the like.  So like one step below business casual.  I don't see things changing.   We are supposed to wear business casual on site inspections, but that's a loose rule.  I usually just rock the jeans/polo.

I'm only going in 2x/week (M and W).  Man, I had a HARD time getting out of bed yesterday.  Almost stayed home.  First meeting was at 11 and the rest of my team is remote right now anyways.  I powered through, but ended up going home around 2:30, took a 45 minute nap when I got home :lol:

This pandemic has really changed things.  I got hired during and certainly don't miss going into an office 5 days a week from 8-5.  No thanks.

Our County (San Luis Obispo County) just mandated indoor mask wearing, and of course most corporations operating in CA will comply. Looks like I'll be going back to working from home 5 days a week. 

Obviously production line guys aren't expected wear suits (well, nobody is), but wearing a t-shirt with a big alcoholic beverage advertisement on it to work? Completely unprofessional. 

This is actually one of the reasons I want to stay home.  I like working in short and a t-shirt.  I like rolling out of bed and starting to work immediately.  I like taking a 10 minute break to do something around the house or walk the dog.  I like eating lunch with my wife on our back deck.  I like being able to start my day early and take a break to pick my daughter up from school.  I like ending at a reasonable time and immediately drink a beer.  The office sucks balls.

I mean before for me were casual slacks and a button down.  That morphed to orvis kakhis and a polo and now it's a dark top that might be a t shirt and good denim.  The shorts thing is if I just need to duck in and not see anyone.  

Going to save a fortune on clothes.  

This is actually one of the reasons I want to stay home.  I like working in short and a t-shirt.  I like rolling out of bed and starting to work immediately.  I like taking a 10 minute break to do something around the house or walk the dog.  I like eating lunch with my wife on our back deck.  I like being able to start my day early and take a break to pick my daughter up from school.  I like ending at a reasonable time and immediately drink a beer.  The office sucks balls.
I get weird looks with no pants on in the office

Today we got an invite for an all-hands-on-deck company-wide Zoom meeting on Tuesday morning. No word on what it's about, all the message said was "clear your schedule so you can attend this." 

I've been with the company for 8 years and this is the first time something like this has happened since I've been there. 

I think the most plausible topic is that they're going to implement a vaccine requirement, which would make sense since we're a medical publishing company and most of us have to travel to medical conferences. 

It's gotta be big, sensitive news of some sort if they are presenting it this way. We are in the process of reworking the office based on the WFH status that everyone has chosen for themselves, but if it were just about the logistics of that, I don't think they'd convene the entire company at once or be secretive about the topic of the meeting. 
Nope, was about a reorganization (that doesn't really affect people at my level or below.) For now we are still in a policy of "you wouldn't be so dumb as to not get vaccinated if you attend medical conferences regularly, would you?"

Skipdog77 said:

Get off my lawn?
We had a strict dress code until about 6 or 7 years ago, then went to business casual. Now it's whatever. The CEO said you can wear what you think is appropriate and has come in wearing shorts. 

During our business casual phase, a woman who reported to me often wore T-shirts to the office. I thought that was odd but I don't really care what people wear as long as they are good at their job, which she was. I told my boss (also a woman) that if anyone ever complained about her attire, I wanted her to deal with it, because the optics of a man telling a woman what she should or should not wear is really bad in today's climate, and I would not be comfortable if put in that position. Luckily no one ever raised the issue before she left the company. 

coopersdad said:
Work for a global company with many clothing / footwear brands.  We were bought  into the corporation in 2017 and corporate people would show up to our offices in flip flops, hoodies, short etc.  Our HR didn't know what the hell to do. Just 3 years earlier we had moved from office casual to jeans.  They passed a more relaxed code, but then covid hit.  

I have not been back to office since 3/13/20 and probably won't until sometime next year.  Once that happens though I'll be partaking in the flip flop / hoodie / shorts dress code (as that is what the folks that are currently choosing to go to the office are now wearing), and it will probably be only 2/3 times a month.  I've got a 35 mile / 40 minute commute, so I'm thankful for the extra 2 hours a day that I get to spend with the kids, dogs, lawn, golf etc.

I work in a law firm.  Our dress code is relaxed.  You can't wear sweatpants or offensive clothing, but everything else is on the table.  Yes, the partners wear shorts, tees and sandals in the summer.  This was before COVID.

Hell yeah.  I spend two hours a day commuting to my office.  Working from home has made my quality of life so much better.  I'm not going back to the office anytime soon though.  

We had a strict dress code until about 6 or 7 years ago, then went to business casual. Now it's whatever. The CEO said you can wear what you think is appropriate and has come in wearing shorts. 

During our business casual phase, a woman who reported to me often wore T-shirts to the office. I thought that was odd but I don't really care what people wear as long as they are good at their job, which she was. I told my boss (also a woman) that if anyone ever complained about her attire, I wanted her to deal with it, because the optics of a man telling a woman what she should or should not wear is really bad in today's climate, and I would not be comfortable if put in that position. Luckily no one ever raised the issue before she left the company. 
I used to work for a very large outdoor sporting goods manufacturing company in the midwest.  We were casual (jeans / polos, etc, unless it was really hot, then they would allow shorts and tee shirts).  One summer we hired an intern in the finance department and on about her 3rd day she came in wearing a really short skirt.  A couple of days later a short skirt.  A couple of days later a tight shirt.  Seems the "old hens" in the marketing department thought this was inappropriate and started rumors and being really catty for a couple of weeks behind her back.  Eventually word got back to me...........you might want to check and see if we've HIRED THE CEO'S daughter to work in the finance department before you go overboard on your cattiness.  3 women got written up and 2 soon quit.  Our company culture and acceptance changed immediately. 

Skipdog77 said:

Get off my lawn?
Absolutely seeing that at my office (Fortune 500 Company) and loving it. It's hot here currently so I'm usually in shorts (nice golf shorts) on the rare occasions I'm forced to go into the office. About half the time I've got a hat on. 

Our director over product management has been seen by me in the office wearing a graphic tee, umbros, and slides :lol:  

One summer we hired an intern in the finance department and on about her 3rd day she came in wearing a really short skirt.  A couple of days later a short skirt.  A couple of days later a tight shirt.  Seems the "old hens" in the marketing department thought this was inappropriate and started rumors and being really catty for a couple of weeks behind her back.  Eventually word got back to me...........you might want to check and see if we've HIRED THE CEO'S daughter to work in the finance department before you go overboard on your cattiness.  3 women got written up and 2 soon quit.  Our company culture and acceptance changed immediately. 
Older Women are funny creatures  :lol:   

Hes absolutely right. The amount I learned just by water cooler conversations, sitting next to others in cubes, and daily interaction cannot be matched working from home. One of my direct reports just started last year and I can't imagine her career ever progressing very far. She's built zero relationships and basically only interacts or learns anything from me.

Went into my office today for the first time in 18 months. There was still a bunch of microwaveable soup and Doritos on my desk. 

As I read this thread, I am reminded of how when I became the original man of leisure  (late 90's to present day) nobody could comprehend around here.  I retired at 34, and became a stay at home dad. We cut bills and responsibilities and just used what we needed.  I have been living this way now for twelve years and it's glorious. On a side note, I took a two hour nap tonight before the Celtics game for no good reason.

I'm very happy to see society finally starting to follow my model of family time, free time, and good food first.  Jobs and work in general should only be used to support our leisure lives.  Less hours, more pay, and more rest.  Stop buying and paying for things you don't need.  When my family and I can finally lose these smart phones it will be a complete victory.  Good luck.

As I read this thread, I am reminded of how when I became the original man of leisure  (late 90's to present day) nobody could comprehend around here.  I retired at 34, and became a stay at home dad. We cut bills and responsibilities and just used what we needed.  I have been living this way now for twelve years and it's glorious. On a side note, I took a two hour nap tonight before the Celtics game for no good reason.

I'm very happy to see society finally starting to follow my model of family time, free time, and good food first.  Jobs and work in general should only be used to support our leisure lives.  Less hours, more pay, and more rest.  Stop buying and paying for things you don't need.  When my family and I can finally lose these smart phones it will be a complete victory.  Good luck.
Yea, America isn't geared that way. Maybe the last few generations but prior to, no.

Did your partner continue working?

Last edited by a moderator:
We were planning to be back 3 days a week...I've been going in a day a week...now on hold indefinitely, and have been told not to come in at all unless absolutely necessary.

My company is remote again until we hear otherwise. Been going in 3x a week since June (with a short shut down for Delta) but they sent us home a couple of weeks ago. The plan was to go back in next Monday but Omicron put a stop to that.

As someone who isn't crazy about doing the commute into NYC for the winter, I'm not complaining. Not a lot of reason to be in the office right now (Jan/Feb is usually pretty light in my industry) so I'm happy to be home.

There were discussions on coming back to work with a 2 or 3 days in office kind of schedule (then got shelved for now). That prompted a lot of people (including myself) to apply for "Full remote". My boss is in Atlanta and we've got team members in Memphis, Atlanta plus UK, Netherlands, Switzerland and France.

Boss seems to be open to pushing the Full Remote through with leadership since "We've been working full remote for 2 years and haven't missed a beat". No excuse to demand in-office for us. Will see how that goes. 

In the meantime I'm gonna go work beachside in Central America for a month or so again this spring.

No reason not to. Grab a local sim with cheap data and hotspot functionality for a backup to wifi and go explore.  Life's too damn short to be tethered to a damn desk farm for half your waking hours. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah this is over.  The problem that is yet unsolved is how do you get junior people trained up without having access to a lot of help.   Just don't see zoom training as effective for technical stuff. 

Nothing official here, but I am thinking back in the office to some extent in February now, with the go-forward model being hybrid regardless (2-3 days/week in the office).

Comcast in Philly has moved their date to return to February (previously Sept. which was moved to Jan.).

Yeah this is over.  The problem that is yet unsolved is how do you get junior people trained up without having access to a lot of help.   Just don't see zoom training as effective for technical stuff. 
Agreed. Thats the one downside which will be hard to solve.

We're just a few weeks removed from my company trying to tell everyone to come back in on 1/10. Obviously they backpedaled, but it seems they are hell-bent on returning to as much normal as they can. One would think they would embrace the opportunity to not spend so much on CRE

Been working back in the office since the beginning of July. All employees are required to be vaxxed and we were testing 1x/week. Company went back to virtual last week due to the holidays and the Omicron pushed it to this week also. Just heard from my boss that they are also WFH next week so we are taking it week by week for now. 

Was 2 days in the office in October and November.

Now full time WFH for the time being.

TBH, 2 days a week in the office seemed pretty perfect. 

Drives me insane to work at home.   Work is work and home is home.  I don't like mixing the two.  Am I the only one who feels this way?

Users who are viewing this thread