What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Your Butt Back To The Office (3 Viewers)

So glad I'm in office today to hear people's cell phones ringing.......

My office is getting rid of the office phones.

Make us show up here to work remotely (none of the projects I manage are on-site, so, it's the exact same desk job shuffling emails work we do remotely, just, under their roof instead of my own) and then we still have to use our cell phones. It's so pointless :lmao:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AT LEAST SET IT TO VIBRATE$@@#$!@#$@@@#$
Dude next me leaves his phone on high volume because he's hard of hearing so every time it rings, pretty much all of us jump or yell out "GOT IT!" He doesn't care (he is a good dude) and we poke fun about it but it does get annoying when you're on a Teams call.
We have a guy that is 70 - same thing good dude - been here 50 years but starting to you know be 70 - his ring tone is the marine hymm at top volume - but the worst part is he will leave his phone in his cube and go somewhere else to work on whatever and it sits here and rings :lmao:
Oddly enough this guys a 20 year Navy vet that lost most of his hearing serving our great country so who am I to judge? I should tell him to change to Anchors Away, his is just the regular old bell ringer. This would at least make me laugh instead of cringe.
Big Blue has spoken!

Just seeing this thread. Didn't read the whole thing, but for me, I'm in logistics/freight where my main company is out of Chicago, they opened a satellite branch in Long Beach back in 2014. The whole experiment wasn't working as planned anyway, so about 8/9 months into the pandemic they shut down the entire office, gave up the lease, etc. Good for the "We Work" fools that have the floors 3-5 I guess b/c they really wanted that top 6th floor. Anyway, Have been working from home since March 2020. Got Married, bought a house, the kid came 3 days after closing on the house. I now am working in the garage of our house. Haven't been to an office in going on 4 years in March and I cannot express to you guys how much I love it. I work more now than I ever worked going into the office now that I can literally roll out of bed, into my trifecta of monitors. Shout out to all you other WFH Warriors!

So we are redoing our wfh agreements that are up in june to run from January to January,

I know I documented before about asking for a schedule I know 2 other people have but was lied too that they do not even though they sent me their documentation.

So I asked again since we are redoing them can i instead of me working from home t, th one week and just thursday the other can I switch to have both weeks t and th.

And was told no again so we can have coverage?

Coverage for what I talk to everyone via TEAMS......

So my petty passive aggressiveness is back so fn stupid.

Last edited:
For those of you who are married or have children under the age of 18 living at home, I'm not sure this is going to be a unique problem but we are drowning at my house

-We are running out of space and also my wife is getting hostile of late whenever I make noise on my side of the home/office during the day. She cannot handle any outside noise and she has a lot of Zoom type calls throughout the day but there is an even larger problem with working from home 80% of the time...

-Straightening up/Cleaning up has become an eye sore to say the least. I walked in this morning after some morning appointments and go into the kitchen and realize it looks like a bomb went off inside there. I'm exaggerating of course but not much. I broke down last month and finally hired a new house cleaner, my wife drove the last one away after 4 full years here. Everything was OK until my wife started working from home and I knew it was going to be an issue.

It's starting to put a strain on our marriage IMHO and I can't say much or else we start getting into a tug of war and then we both feel lousy a little while later

-Another example is just the clothes situation...i can do all the laundry in the world, fold it and even set it on my wife's pillow but somehow the clothes do not find their way into her many chests of drawers. The walk in-closet that is bigger than some studio apartments, you can't even barely get the door open to it.

We have 2/2 with a Den/Office, 1600+ sq ft, should be plenty of room
I should have never let her talk me into closing up the storage unit. I know it's painful to shell out $200 a month on things you likely should just throw away or not have in boxes but believe me this is far worse. I want to rent a U-Haul and load it up with everything not currently being used and open a new storage unit, the closets in here are overflowing.

-I love my wife and it's totally not her fault. They have made it almost impossible to come into the offices, all but encouraging folks to work full time from home. If you can believe it, my wife has staff that complain about not being able to come into the offices.

I answered my own issues here, I need to get a lot of junk/stuff out of here and try to get my wife some help.
...but just to share, I bought my wife a Bellicon trampoline from Germany and I thought it would be excellent inside the condo since she doesn't get out much, she can just bounce for 5-10 minutes and get the blood circulating...it's used as more of a coffee table in her office, I just want to cry.

Last edited:
If you can believe it, my wife has staff that complain about not being able to come into the offices.
Despite what you read online ... this is the more common manifestation of the dynamic IMHO. Mostly because there are more white-collar workers employed by small/medium employers than by big companies. Those small companies looked at the books regarding their real estate and/or rentals, made a business decision to downsize floor space, and generally better adjusted to WFH staffing than larger companies who needed to justify their real estate expenditures (or couldn't turn on a dime, get out of leases fast, etc.).

We hear that too but for us no one is stopping anyone from coming in every day once the return to work started in what 2021......

There are also many of us that wanted to WFH prior to covid but were always denied for archaic reasons

We hear that too but for us no one is stopping anyone from coming in every day once the return to work started in what 2021......

There are also many of us that wanted to WFH prior to covid but were always denied for archaic reasons
When people at our organization show up at the office we suddenly get calls from folks complaining and trying to tattle tale on each other because the person being run up the flag pole isn't directly there to defend themselves. And we have to listen to their grievances or else we are not following HR protocol and god knows we wouldn't want that!

A couple months ago, they downsized all the Execs so that they share offices or space and it's created a nightmare.
Imagine people showing up in your office at work on the 4 out of 5 days you aren't there.

They need a full time Office Manager and that would put a stop to most of this.
There is a structure in place for this but it's not effective right now.

To my point again.

I support facilities all over the country.

I literally just got off a TEAMS call for 1 hour with a guy in TEXAS. WTF do I need to be in the office to do this?

The only reason I ever needed to be in the office is to support our LAB work. We do formal testing 4-5 times a year. I have zero issues coming in for the 4-8 days every couple months or so.

Its the made up reasons for being here that just aggravates the crap out of me. Prior to COVID 90% my job was all done exactly like it is today. Supporting places all over the country using email/phone calls/SKYPe etc......

We are not a "creative department" where a bunch of face to face needs to happen. I've talked to one person in the last 2 days while in the office and it wasn't even work related.

FEEL THE RAGE

To my point again.

I support facilities all over the country.

I literally just got off a TEAMS call for 1 hour with a guy in TEXAS. WTF do I need to be in the office to do this?

The only reason I ever needed to be in the office is to support our LAB work. We do formal testing 4-5 times a year. I have zero issues coming in for the 4-8 days every couple months or so.

Its the made up reasons for being here that just aggravates the crap out of me. Prior to COVID 90% my job was all done exactly like it is today. Supporting places all over the country using email/phone calls/SKYPe etc......

We are not a "creative department" where a bunch of face to face needs to happen. I've talked to one person in the last 2 days while in the office and it wasn't even work related.

FEEL THE RAGE
This is turning into your own personal venting thread :lol:

For those of you who are married or have children under the age of 18 living at home, I'm not sure this is going to be a unique problem but we are drowning at my house

-We are running out of space and also my wife is getting hostile of late whenever I make noise on my side of the home/office during the day. She cannot handle any outside noise and she has a lot of Zoom type calls throughout the day but there is an even larger problem with working from home 80% of the time...

-Straightening up/Cleaning up has become an eye sore to say the least. I walked in this morning after some morning appointments and go into the kitchen and realize it looks like a bomb went off inside there. I'm exaggerating of course but not much. I broke down last month and finally hired a new house cleaner, my wife drove the last one away after 4 full years here. Everything was OK until my wife started working from home and I knew it was going to be an issue.

It's starting to put a strain on our marriage IMHO and I can't say much or else we start getting into a tug of war and then we both feel lousy a little while later

-Another example is just the clothes situation...i can do all the laundry in the world, fold it and even set it on my wife's pillow but somehow the clothes do not find their way into her many chests of drawers. The walk in-closet that is bigger than some studio apartments, you can't even barely get the door open to it.

I should have never let her talk me into closing up the storage unit. I know it's painful to shell out $200 a month on things you likely should just throw away or not have in boxes but believe me this is far worse. I want to rent a U-Haul and load it up with everything not currently being used and open a new storage unit, the closets in here are overflowing.

-I love my wife and it's totally not her fault. They have made it almost impossible to come into the offices, all but encouraging folks to work full time from home. If you can believe it, my wife has staff that complain about not being able to come into the offices.

I answered my own issues here, I need to get a lot of junk/stuff out of here and try to get my wife some help.
...but just to share, I bought my wife a Bellicon trampoline from Germany and I thought it would be excellent inside the condo since she doesn't get out much, she can just bounce for 5-10 minutes and get the blood circulating...it's used as more of a coffee table in her office, I just want to cry.
One quick thing. Don’t put your wives clothes on her pillow. After laundry, put her stuff away. Second quick thing, take stuff out of boxes and throw **** away that you don’t use. Those seem like the two best things to maybe get closer to happy.

Also, don’t buy your wife something she didn’t ask for that might not get used or perishes like flowers.

I read your trampoline anecdote to my wife. She said “exercise equipment as a present can be problematic unless it was asked for.”

If your wife isn't using the trampoline you should ask the neighbors wife if she wants to try it out.

One quick thing. Don’t put your wives clothes on her pillow. After laundry, put her stuff away. Second quick thing, take stuff out of boxes and throw **** away that you don’t use. Those seem like the two best things to maybe get closer to happy.

Also, don’t buy your wife something she didn’t ask for that might not get used or perishes like flowers.
My wife hates flowers and she hates almost all gifts bought as a way to counter something I've done, I do not get off light or easy, it must be something from the heart
She'd prefer I make a nice meal for her

-And let me make sure I have this straight. You want me to put clothes away into drawers already full of other clothes?

See, I have one of those unique wives that fluctuates in weight and can bounce between 2 or 3 sizes so she needs 3 wardrobes.

But I really appreciate you sticking up for her, it's exactly what I need right now.
You're right SB
But the clutter is getting the best of me

I read your trampoline anecdote to my wife. She said “exercise equipment as a present can be problematic unless it was asked for.”

I bought the multicolor rainbow one for her, it's low impact and fun but I see your wife's point.
I thought it would be a great tension reliever to have in her office after Zoom calls

My company requires us to be in the office 60% of the time. They have 4 week periods so you have to be in 12 out of 20 days each period. They track everyone and if you only come in 9-11 days in you are flagged and are spoken as you are non compliant. If you come in 8 days or less per period then the rumor is that you are subject to termination with no severance. Haven’t heard anyone getting canned for this but they are funneling it down that it’s on the table and will happen to repeat offenders.

CEOs are using return to office mandates to mask poor management.

I will say that one thing that often goes overlooked is that there are a lot of larger companies out there that got large local tax breaks by promising the towns they built in that they would employ a certain number of people in the area. Municipalities are starting to try to claw back that money when buildings sit empty and the jobs may be going to people outside the area.

But overall, I think it’s way more about aging management not being able to adapt to a new paradigm and feeling like they don’t have control of things if they can’t physically see people. My office director LOVES to make a round or two through the office every day to see who is there and see if people seem busy.

My wife hates flowers and she hates almost all gifts bought as a way to counter something I've done, I do not get off light or easy, it must be something from the heart
She'd prefer I make a nice meal for her

-And let me make sure I have this straight. You want me to put clothes away into drawers already full of other clothes?

See, I have one of those unique wives that fluctuates in weight and can bounce between 2 or 3 sizes so she needs 3 wardrobes.

But I really appreciate you sticking up for her, it's exactly what I need right now.
You're right SB
But the clutter is getting the best of me
Ugh, it ain’t easy being married lol, stick with the meals! If you can force the stuff in drawers, I’d do that over the floor. Maybe there’s stuff at the bottom of drawers that hasn’t been worn in years and could accidentally fall into the clean up?

I hope she doesn't like tuna fish for lunch.

My company requires us to be in the office 60% of the time. They have 4 week periods so you have to be in 12 out of 20 days each period. They track everyone and if you only come in 9-11 days in you are flagged and are spoken as you are non compliant. If you come in 8 days or less per period then the rumor is that you are subject to termination with no severance. Haven’t heard anyone getting canned for this but they are funneling it down that it’s on the table and will happen to repeat offenders.
Our company uses an app that allows you access to our building. I can only assume it's tracking when I come in and when I leave and is passing that information on to my bosses so he/she knows when I'm actually "at" the office... as we are supposed to be here twice weekly, and there are times where I leave well ahead of the usual 5pm quittin' time.

To deter the swipe and go people my company requires you to be in the office for 6hrs to qualify as a day in. At least that’s the word around the water cooler.

I still say the shark move is to buy your IT guy a coffee and have him hook you up with a spare badge reader in your house. :lmao:
This is the 21st century. What you are seeking is a spare badge reader with a monthly subscription plan (plans start at $34.95/mo); or check with Door Dash and see if they offer badge scanning as a service (BSaaS).

I wonder how many of these companies who use badge scanning as a way to tell if people are in the office also justified the return to office by saying something on the order of "We miss seeing everyone's faces!" In other words, total corporate ********.

I wonder how many of these companies who use badge scanning as a way to tell if people are in the office also justified the return to office by saying something on the order of "We miss seeing everyone's faces!" In other words, total corporate ********.

Believe it’s a way to purge the workforce without laying people off and paying them a severance. A non compliant employee is documented and warned and is probably legal justification for getting purged.

Believe it’s a way to purge the workforce without laying people off and paying them a severance. A non compliant employee is documented and warned and is probably legal justification for getting purged.
Are companies obligated to pay a severance though?

Are companies obligated to pay a severance though?

For layoffs my companies offers a type of sub pay that pays you, up to a certain time period, until you get another job. For terminations you get Jack Squat from the mothership.

If y'all are so miserable doing your work have you considered doing something different? The org I work for has a dated work-in-the-office policy, but it's not enforced and they're not monitoring anything. As one of my peers said during onboarding (paraphrasing) 'wherever you are, just be available during business hours.' He was right. I'm not wild about the unsaid standard of prioritizing getting back to inquiries asap, not necessarily just same day, but that seems like something that can be changed culturally over time and I'm really picking nits if that's my gripe.

Our company uses an app that allows you access to our building. I can only assume it's tracking when I come in and when I leave and is passing that information on to my bosses so he/she knows when I'm actually "at" the office... as we are supposed to be here twice weekly, and there are times where I leave well ahead of the usual 5pm quittin' time.
Similar situation. You're responsible to be in office 2 days a week. Scan your badge upon entry and to access elevators. Then we have an app to "reserve" our workstation for the days we'll be in - you know, so there isn't a log jam of people trying to get into the cubicles each day. We know they're tracking the swipes and the app usage. It's been like this for the last year. We were told recently that they may go to a 3-4 day in office policy because some people are "abusing" the 2 day rule by not showing up. Meanwhile, we have an entire department who collectively comes in on the same two days, but leave to WFH right at noon. My floor is packed when you get there in the AM, but it's a ghost town when you come back from lunch. I know one manager who has said that he drives by and swipes his badge at the door in the morning and then drives back home. So I guess management has a point about the abuse. :shrug:

I know one manager who has said that he drives by and swipes his badge at the door in the morning and then drives back home.
Now see ... to me, that defeats one of the best advantages of working from home: avoiding the drive in to the office. I presume this manager lives close by.

I know one manager who has said that he drives by and swipes his badge at the door in the morning and then drives back home.
Now see ... to me, that defeats one of the best advantages of working from home: avoiding the drive in to the office. I presume this manager lives close by.
Close enough...I'd say less than a 10min drive. But I agree with you. I live closer to the office than he does and I'm not even doing that. If I'm WFH, then I'm not going anywhere near the office.

Similar situation. You're responsible to be in office 2 days a week. Scan your badge upon entry and to access elevators. Then we have an app to "reserve" our workstation for the days we'll be in - you know, so there isn't a log jam of people trying to get into the cubicles each day. We know they're tracking the swipes and the app usage. It's been like this for the last year. We were told recently that they may go to a 3-4 day in office policy because some people are "abusing" the 2 day rule by not showing up. Meanwhile, we have an entire department who collectively comes in on the same two days, but leave to WFH right at noon. My floor is packed when you get there in the AM, but it's a ghost town when you come back from lunch. I know one manager who has said that he drives by and swipes his badge at the door in the morning and then drives back home. So I guess management has a point about the abuse. :shrug:
[/QUOTE

Same here, place empties out by mid afternoon. Companies need to justify the $ theyre spending in leasing office space so asses need to be in seats.

Users who are viewing this thread