What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

Too worn out to be clever, so I’ll get right to it.

#17s
Recognized by title alone: 26
Sounded familiar: 5
Knew from this countdown: 2
Didn't know: 10

Selected Favorites:
Gimme Some Lovin’ (Don Quixote)
You’ve Got Another Thing Coming (jwb)
The Whole of the Moon (Dr. Octopus)
Teardrop (Manster)
Don’t Shed A Tear (Sullie)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Home (KarmaPolice)
Year of the Cat (simsarge)
Blacks/Radio (Mrs. Eephus)
Seeing Other People (krista4)

Oh, and 5 of my top 15 (but 6 of my 16 >.>) have been previously taken. Of the 10 left, some are certainly more surprising than others.

New-to-me favorites from today:

"Home" by Depeche Mode - I like Depeche Mode plenty but really only knew their dancier stuff. This was a very pleasant surprise.
"Don't Shed A Tear" by Paul Carrack - Not actually new to me, as it turned out. Sorta cheesy but very good.
"Divine Thing" by Soup Dragons - also turned out not to be new to me. Good pop fun.

My list is down to only three more unpicked artists
Mrs. E's has five (including three in her top five)
@ditkaburgers has thirteen :shock: so buckle up
My bad 🤣

Hey, your Example song got my only new-to-me shout-out from yesterday! :)
That means a lot. I've been complaining to @Eephus that my picks might be too out there

Nah, I love that you have picks that are different from the same old stuff many of us have (including me). Of the ones I didn't already know, I also really liked your Gorillaz song, the one from Elastica, and the Muse song you chose. I might never have heard any of these if you hadn't selected them, so thank you!

My bad 🤣

That means a lot. I've been complaining to @Eephus that my picks might be too out there

Well, if it helps, phriggin Little Willy has been stuck in my head for days. I thought you had a cover cuz you're young. Even praised it for being true to the original. :bag:

Up town, down town
Little Willy, Willy drives them wild with his run-around style
Inside, outside
Willy sends them silly with his star-shine shimmy shuffle smile

(sing it wit me now)

Hey down, stay down, stay down, down
'Cause little Willy, Willy won't go home
But you can't push Willy 'round
Willy won't go, try tellin' everybody but, oh no
Little Willy, Willy won't go home

What a throwback good memory. Gracias for that one.

The only celebrity I've ever physically contacted was Jared Leto. Coachella, 2004, the Radiohead set. He was blindly marching away from the venue wearing only jorts. He was clearly altered and plowed right into my chest. He is 5'8" at most and I'm 6'0", and I probably outweighed him by 50lbs. He fell down onto his back. I gave him a hand up, he apologized and said "thanks dude" and kept marching. He was very polite.
Ron Jeremy sat in the same booth as me in a nightclub and kept nodding off on my shoulder. He had terrible B.O.
The Hedgehog! He looks like a BO kinda dude.

my celeb touches were consensual....

My buddies and I got to hang out with Jack Black after a Tenacious D show in Seattle, at the Showbox. Somehow one of my buddies met Jacks dad at the show, and he invited us to a private after show party, at a bar down the road......Jables is really short. He had a Reverend Horton Heat shirt on.....I saw my opp to bust his balls a bit. I say, "you guys were awesome tonight!".....he thanks me....I say, " Yea, Reverend Horton Heat rules!". He gives a sideways look....I say, " ****in with ya! Long live the D!". We do a knucks.

With the same buddies we went to see Colonel Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Fog Brigade at the Crystal Ballroom in Portland.....after the show Les is hanging out, and he comes walking by us.....my buddy chats him up and introduces the rest of us to him. He says to me, "gimme your potato" and sticks out his fist....I give him my potato. The end.

Some favorites today:

Gimme Some Lovin' - Winwood was a kid singing these.
Come Together - Great Beatles
London Calling - Angry Clash - always loved this.
Nights In White Satin - Melllloooooowwwww
Year of the Cat - Did not remember he was eligible. Great song.
Blacks/Radio - Both of these are new to me. I never paid much attention to The Psychedelic Furs but I will because I really like these.
Pretty In Pink - see above
Hungry Like the Wolf - Brings me right back to the early 80's.

My bad 🤣

Nah, I love that you have picks that are different from the same old stuff many of us have (including me). Of the ones I didn't already know, I also really liked your Gorillaz song, the one from Elastica, and the Muse song you chose. I might never have heard any of these if you hadn't selected them, so thank you!

Seconded.

I appreciate the new stuff, and stuff I should know but don't.

My favorite new-to-me song of the day comes from Mrs. Eephus

"Blacks/Radio" is quite the extended punky jam. I need to listen to more of The Psychedelic Furs. I believe I've liked pretty much everything I've ever heard of theirs, which is admittedly a limited number of songs.

Also liked "Teardrop" from Massive Attack. I should probably listen to more from them, as both songs have impressed me during this countdown.

"Baby Blue" from Badfinger was also cool, thus rounding out the bands I should check out more that are pretty new to me.

Warning that tomorrow's post for the "middle day" could be a bit late. I haven't had time to do any of the prep work I usually do the evening before. While I have a good "in order" list of each day's picks, finding the links and adding hyperlinks, figuring out which artists and songs have previously been taken and how often, and then doing all the formatting, takes me over an hour for each day's post. Unlike most days, I wasn't able to do it in advance. Good night!

Last edited:
Damn, I am few days behind. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as I have a habit of flaking out on these from time to time, but I am still listening to the mixes.

This one is from #19. The theme of this one was there were a few artists that have gotten my attention for the 2nd or 3rd time, so I added them to my "deep dive" list.

HOW WE OPERATE - GOMEZ @krista4 I could have sworn I added another song to my playlist, but I didn't see it. Maybe it was close, or it was one I forgot to add, but Gomez is one that was added to the deep dive list. I just dug the mix of the singer's voice with the variety of instruments going. This is one where I think my wife would really like too.

DON'T START NOW - DUA LIPA @ditkaburgers Great pop track that I hadn't heard before. I immediately thought that this must be a ditkaburgers track, but I've thought that before and been wrong.
CHERRY RED - THE GROUNDHOGS @Oliver Humanzee I listened to a little of The Groundhogs before the draft, but it was another album, and I missed this track.
A DESIGN FOR LIFE - MANIC STREET PREACHERS @titusbramble This was the second song that I took note of. IF I remember correctly, the other was taken by @Ilov80s but didn't get a shoutout for some reason. Added to the deep dive pile.
CATCH THE SUN - DOVES @shuke I think somebody else said something about a Foo Fighters feel to this one, and I agree, which is a good thing. Really dug this one
FOOLS GOLD - THE STONE ROSES @Pip's Invitation Too funny - there was another song this past week I was going to bust your balls about and ask if you purposely only took the longest track from each album. Then I look to see who took this one and saw Krista's note about it being the long version as a bonus track. :lol:Anyway, this was yet another from them I liked and thought that it wasn't the sound I associated with them in my head. Deep dive pile.

Random thoughts:

Fox on the Run IMO is by far the best Sweet song that has been on these playlists
Abacab might be getting added to my daughter's playlist. I heard from the backseat "hmmm, what's this song?" and thought I saw some air keyboarding going on. :lol:

Last edited:
My favorite new-to-me song of the day comes from Mrs. Eephus

"Blacks/Radio" is quite the extended punky jam. I need to listen to more of The Psychedelic Furs. I believe I've liked pretty much everything I've ever heard of theirs, which is admittedly a limited number of songs.

Also liked "Teardrop" from Massive Attack. I should probably listen to more from them, as both songs have impressed me during this countdown.

"Baby Blue" from Badfinger was also cool, thus rounding out the bands I should check out more that are pretty new to me.
You should. Since both songs are from Mezzanine, I would start there. There is another song in the middle of the album with a title that sounds like a horror movie that was a very hard cut for me when I was doing research. I am pretty sure I took that one for a trip-hop mix in one of the GPs.

Last edited:
I am even farther behind on comments on my picks.

There are two of my picks in recent playlists that tie 100% to these adventures and drafts - DAMAGED GOODS and FREELANCE FIEND. Gang of Four was taken for something probably a decade+ ago, as I remember it being on one of those CDs I had in my car of the playlists, and I had the whole Gang of Four album going for awhile as well. I wanted a few on here that were shoutouts to how much these things have shaped my music tastes in the past 15 or so years. The Leaf Hound pick was the one that I said tied directly to @scorchy , but that was when I thought he was JZilla, but that could be @plinko or somebody else. :wall: Anyway, after all that - I might not even be giving the correct credit, but somebody took this in a draft and I was immediately hooked. It hit right at the time I was digging pretty deep into the 70s rock bands, and evidently UK ones as I also remember bands like Budgie, Lucifer, and others.

Photograph and Def Leppard was my first :doh: that I had when I first started digging and researching. I was lamenting that I again might not have any early rock that shaped my music. Pyromania was huge for me as it was one of my only tapes besides Huey Lewis that I had, and I remember going to my friends house in 4th grade and rocking the hell out of this one. It was between Photograph and Stagefright for me off this one.

Stockholm Syndrome There was a stretch of time of a year or so where Muse and The Black Keys dominated my music listening. Both bands were on a loop. I am pretty sure I was introduced to Muse through this album from real life FBGer @amnesiac when he gave me a burned copy that I wore out in the car. I love the album and it's follow up, but this song has always stuck out to me as a great mix of all the music styles they bring to the table.

Sultans of Swing has just always been one of my favorite songs and admittedly probably should have been up higher on my playlist. Oh well, at least it looks like I got the first shoutouts for the song because it was so low. ;)

Photograph and Def Leppard was my first :doh: that I had when I first started digging and researching. I was lamenting that I again might not have any early rock that shaped my music. Pyromania was huge for me as it was one of my only tapes besides Huey Lewis that I had, and I remember going to my friends house in 4th grade and rocking the hell out of this one. It was between Photograph and Stagefright for me off this one.
Like Who's Next, Pyromania is a perfect album (as in all the tracks are listenable) and Photograph is their best song.

Still have 9 of my songs still not taken - I think my artist list is fairly chalky but not as much my songs this time (vs. American list).

Yesterday's favorites.

worrierking:

I Can See For Miles - The Who
(new song)

Yankee23Fan:

White Room – Cream
(new song)

shuke:

Baby Blue – Badfinger
(duplicate – second vote)

:hifive:

Mt. Man:

Come Dancing - The Kinks
(new song)

In the way I found almost a new respect for LZ during Anarchy's countdown I've kind of done the same thing with The Kinks. I already loved them but listening to some deeper cuts - me and one of my kids were jamming to them - he especially enjoyed Apeman.

For me, he might be talented, but that type of music just brings back bad memories of the worst the 70's had to offer.
Engelbert's version of "Release Me" came out in 1967, but he was still churning out songs in the 70s, which is when he did a long stint in Vegas. For some reason, I thought Mrs. R was a fan of his longtime rival Tom Jones. Engelbert and Sir Tom were once good friends, and shared the same manager, Gordon Mills. Gordon Mills and Tom Jones started their own record label called MAM, and Engelbert left Decca to go to MAM. Eventually, Engelbert left Mills and left MAM, and Tom Jones has hated him since. Engelbert has tried to make amends through the years, but Jones will have none of it. Clip of when they were once friends. Anyway, my mom played both guys a lot when I was a youngster.

Thanks for all of the love and positive thoughts for Martin last night. Just got update that he did okay over night and around where they would expect a dog to be this far removed from the surgery. I’ll definitely take that and hoping for continued progress today.

I’m glad brought him in when we did, and had the gallbladder removed immediately — it was still intact and had not yet ruptured, which hopefully will lead to a positive outcome for him.
How is Martin?

figuring out which artists and songs have previously been taken and how often
You don't have to do this just for me. If it's too time consuming I can figure it out
Just curious - who is that in your avatar?
It is some random England fan that was seen in the crowd at the World Cup with a replica trophy that became a dull meme
Got it. Kind of looks like the love child of Troy Aikman and Howdy Doody.

Thanks for all of the love and positive thoughts for Martin last night. Just got update that he did okay over night and around where they would expect a dog to be this far removed from the surgery. I’ll definitely take that and hoping for continued progress today.

I’m glad brought him in when we did, and had the gallbladder removed immediately — it was still intact and had not yet ruptured, which hopefully will lead to a positive outcome for him.
How is Martin?
Thanks for checking. So far, so good. Sounds like recovery still going well — he ate a bit yesterday, and doctor was hopeful that he will be able to come home later today after they run some more bloodwork to make sure numbers still good. Before the surgery, doctor had told us it was 50/50; ecstatic that we are looking on the better side of the 50.

Teddy howled throughout the night. If things continue to go well today, I think he will be happy to get part of the pack back.

Sixteen-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

Jive Talkin' - Bee Gees
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

Tempted – Squeeze
(duplicate – fifth vote)

worrierking:

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

titusbramble:

Trash - Suede
(new artist)

simey:

April Skies - The Jesus and Mary Chain
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

Don’t You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds
(new song)

Don Quixote:

Stuck In The Middle with You - Stealers Wheel
(new artist)

MAC_32:

White Shadows - Coldplay
(new song)

timschochet:

The Rover - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

Yankee23Fan:

Hysteria – Def Leppard
(duplicate - third vote)

Hawks64:

Paint It, Black – The Rolling Stones
(duplicate - second vote)

jwb:

Abacab - Genesis

DrIanMalcolm:

Valerie - Amy Winehouse
(new song, kinda)

@Hawks64 note that this is the "Back to Black" version with only Winehouse, not the one we've heard a billion times with Ronson.
@falguy , I'm counting this as a different song for calculation purposes.

Dr. Octopus:

The Punk And The Godfather - The Who
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

Fascination Street - The Cure
(new song)

shuke:

All The Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople
(duplicate - fourth vote)

Manster:

Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden
(new song)

scorchy:

Rid Of Me - PJ Harvey
(duplicate - third vote)

Sullie:

Breaking Point - Eric Clapton
(new song)

Andy Dufresne:

The Killing Moon - Echo & The Bunnymen
(duplicate - third vote)

Mister CIA:

Day After Day - Badfinger
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Crazy Water - Elton John
(new song)

higgins:

Stranger In A Strange Land - Iron Maiden
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Dear God – XTC

simsarge:

Kiss This Thing Goodbye - Del Amitri
(new song)

Mt. Man:

It's A Sin - Pet Shop Boys

landrys hat:

Nowhere Man - The Beatles

Westerberg:

Time - Pink Floyd
(new song)

Eephus:

Valerie - Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse
(duplicate – sixth vote)

rockaction:

Sweet Thing - Van Morrison
(new song)

falguy:

Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor

Hov34:

Your Song – Elton John

zamboni:

A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
(duplicate – fourth vote)

Doug B:

Destroyer - The Kinks
(new song)

Ilov80s:

The Bends – Radiohead
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Here I Go Again (1987 album version) - Whitesnake

Chaos34:

Levon - Elton John
(new song)

Chaz McNulty:

Stairway to Heaven – Led Zeppelin
(new song)

Zegras11:

The Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

AAABatteries:

The House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals

Oliver Humanzee:

Why Can't I Touch It - The Buzzcocks
(new artist)

Mrs. Eephus:

Lights Out – UFO
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Scandalous (U.S. Radio Edit) - Mis-Teeq
(new artist)

cosjobs:

One Step Beyond - Madness
(new artist)

krista4:

She's A Rainbow - The Rolling Stones
(duplicate - third vote)

Don Quixote:

Stuck In The Middle with You - Stealers Wheel
(new artist)

Kudos to Don Quixote for putting this smack-dab in the middle of the countdown.
Haha…. When I mentioned last night that I did mine on purpose for today, yeah, stuck this one right in the middle of my list. Surprised first Stealers Wheel appearance, but maybe some higher up (or maybe this is it for them). Such a good song; obviously now most closely associated with Reservoir Dogs.

I debated going with a different one of theirs because I don’t like them seeing referred to as a one-hit wonder and enjoy a couple of their albums (Rafferty obviously no slouch, and Baker Street has shown up here for him solo), but ultimately went chalk as it is slight personal favorite. Something like Star was where I would have gone if wanted something different, and would have been in contention if I did not limit myself to one per artist.

Users who are viewing this thread