What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matthew Berry since moving to CBS (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
I used to like some of his stuff.

He’s a tough read these days. He comes off as a bit arrogant, his takes aren’t particularly insightful, and a lot of his recommendations feel like frontrunner stuff - things we’ve already seen from numerous writers all summer, regurgitated with some personal quip “when I was at ESPN living the dream life yada yada yada”

I dunno - I just tried to read his “love/hate” column and the first 10 paragraphs were all about him.

I don’t read FF writers to read an autobiography every article.

Am I being unfair? Has he always been like this and I just didn’t notice? Does anyone really enjoy his schtick these days?

I know where you're coming from, nobody loves a pretentious A--hole.

Though, personally I haven't paid much attention to Mathew Berry. My ears get to listen to Cecil Lammey on the radio five times a week.

He's at NBC/Rotoworld. And yeah his stuff has always been written that way. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to scroll through the story section and started reading when it's football analysis. I won't tell him.

I'm just glad there aren't any puppets on his new show...

And I actually enjoy his personality more now.
His FF advice is just as good as anyone else's if he can stop pimping Applebees for a second...

nobody loves a pretentious A--hole.

The last thing you can say about Berry is that he's pretentious - he's constantly self-deprecating about his weight and hair loss, and he constantly acknowledges how lucky he is to be making a living off of fantasy football.
This part I agree with. That said, the last three or four things I’ve read from him he’s somehow managed to make all about himself. almost as though he is trying to convince everyone he is as famous & influential as he thinks he is.

Maybe it’s the result of moving from ESPN to NBC/Rotoworld and he feels he needs to reestablish himself in the eyes of his new reader base.

I dunno - I just tried to read his “love/hate” column and the first 10 paragraphs were all about him.

Am I being unfair? Has he always been like this and I just didn’t notice? Does anyone really enjoy his schtick these days?

Always been like that. He is a funny writer and his tangents in his articles are probably a big part of how he ended up on top.

He just made a huge career move so, maybe his stuff right now is even more about himself, but, his articles have always been journal/blog-ish to some extent, so, definitely not out of character.

The last thing you can say about Berry is that he's pretentious - he's constantly self-deprecating about his weight and hair loss, and he constantly acknowledges how lucky he is to be making a living off of fantasy football.
This part I agree with. That said, the last three or four things I’ve read from him he’s somehow managed to make all about himself. almost as though he is trying to convince everyone he is as famous & influential as he thinks he is.

Maybe it’s the result of moving from ESPN to NBC/Rotoworld and he feels he needs to reestablish himself in the eyes of his new reader base.
Having watched every episode so far, I have to say he just seems like he's having fun, and the show seems to have zero rules for him at the moment...
I get the idea that he'll reign it in and settle down as things go on, but it's like he's just celebrating non-stop at the moment.
I mean, if I could drink booze and talk about fantasy football during my own show I know I would.

Having watched every episode so far, I have to say he just seems like he's having fun, and the show seems to have zero rules for him at the moment...
I get the idea that he'll reign it in and settle down as things go on, but it's like he's just celebrating non-stop at the moment.
I mean, if I could drink booze and talk about fantasy football during my own show I know I would.
I haven’t seen the show yet, and I would probably enjoy it. I’m talking about his articles.

he is as famous & influential as he thinks he is.
He was in the highest grossing movie of all time. :lol:
I am amazed at how many things he has been involved with in his career.

I've never read or watched his stuff, but I spent some time with him at an event a few years ago and he was a really down-to-earth and genuinely nice dude. He stayed long after he was contractually obligated to, talking to everyone who waited around, recording hype videos for folks to take back to their fantasy leagues, etc. I imagine if he comes across differently in the media it's just a persona he's learned to put on to generate clicks or something.

He’s a tough read these days. He comes off as a bit arrogant, his takes aren’t particularly insightful, and a lot of his recommendations feel like frontrunner stuff - things we’ve already seen from numerous writers all summer, regurgitated with some personal quip “when I was at ESPN living the dream life yada yada yada”

His love hate column always starts about a topic in his life. This year the biggest thing in his life was switching jobs.

I still enjoy his work and the apps he's offering.

I read everything so have always read his stuff. The ESPN sunday morning show was great too.

I get the criticisms though...there are elements of truth in here for sure.

FTR, I agree with most of his love/hate this year.

His love hate column always starts about a topic in his life. This year the biggest thing in his life was switching jobs.

I still enjoy his work and the apps he's offering.
Sure, but I’ve read four articles of his since he moved over and every one of them has talked about this. At some point you gotta stop writing the same column over and over again

I am not the biggest fan of him; I think there's better advice from other writers out there. He's infamously known as the guy who told everyone to take Vick #1 overall after his first season with the Eagles. However, I do respect him for leaving ESPN after his advice was paywalled.

I am not the biggest fan of him; I think there's better advice from other writers out there. He's infamously known as the guy who told everyone to take Vick #1 overall after his first season with the Eagles. However, I do respect him for leaving ESPN after his advice was paywalled.
I agree. And it was also a savvy move for him, professionally.

Matthew Berry offers some good, informed advice, but I stopped watching him when he was on Fantasy Focus. It seemed to me his show was targeting 12-15 year olds.

He's always written that long intro in his Love/Hate column. I used to read it all then started skipping it. I like his general style but I agree that since moving to NBC the new stuff I've heard has come across to me as a little more over the top than usual. You used to be able to tell he was joking about how great he is, but now it does have a little more arrogant feel to it. Like someone upthread said, he's likely just celebrating and will work back into his normal schtick.

Users who are viewing this thread