What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

#30 Sigur Ros - Inní mér syngur vitleysingur (Inside Me a Lunatic Sings)- Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust - 2008

The second of my "introductory" Sigur Ros songs, this is one of the bands' shortest, most structured, and "poppiest" songs. It comes from an album that took a turn away from pretty much 100% typical post rock structure, to shorter songs with more structure and choruses.

This song is probably a top 10 Sigur Ros song for me. This image sums up my reactions to it pretty well. Just a great, catchy, uplifting tune that escalates with lots of energy, and it may be one of the few Sigur Ros songs you could dance too.

Link to Lyrics (for length)

The Stranglers
#30 - Ugly

Live vesrion from 2007

Year
Album - Rattus Norvegicus
UK Chart position - Non Single
Vocals - Jean-Jacques Burnel
Key Lyric -
I guess I shouldn't have strangled her to death
But I had to go to work
And she had laced my coffee with acid
Normally I wouldn't have minded
But I'm allergic to sulphuric acid
Besides she had acne

Interesting Points
1) This song contains several profanities, violent imagery, possible anti semitism and bias against unattractive people
2) If Walk on By intrigued you, this may have you running for the safety of Taylor Swift. I could have chosen one of the more melodic 80s song, another cover of a well known song or something friendlier, but if we are in we have to see the ugliness of ths band as well. Words deliberately chosen.
3) JJB is in fine growly vocal form here. He actually has a beautiful voice on other numbers, but when the Stranglers needed brutality he delivers. Hugh Cornwall would often write songs for JJBs voice and vice versa. The petty jealousy woukd come after 10 years together.
4) The song has one of many cultural references to Ozymandias. These guys werent no dummies
5) If you see the video from the 2007 concert, well after their peak and 17 years after Cornwall left, you can see the abslute sausage fest in the crowd. Im oresuming the only women there are daughters of fans. I have spoken to many Stranglers fans and on the whole they are highly educated, well to do people. the Stranglers is their chance to unwind.

Summary to date
Year
1977 - 1
1978 - 1
1979 - 0
1980 - 0
1981 - 0
1982 - 0
1983 - 0
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 0
1987 - 0
1988 - 0
1989 - 0
1990 onwards - 0

Where to find
Rattus Norvegicus - 1/9
No More Heroes - 0/11
Black and White - 0/12
The Raven - 0/11
The Gospel According to the Meninblack - 0/10
La Folie - 0/11
Feline - 0/9
Aural Sculpture - 0/11
Dreamtime - 0/10
All Live and All of the Night - 0/13
10 - 0/10
1991 onwards - 0
B Sides - 0
Greatest Hits - 0
Standalone Single - 1

Running Vocal Count
Hugh Cornwall - 1
Jean-Jacques Burnel - 1
Other - 0

Rundown
#31 - Walk on By
#30 - Ugly

Next we return to the safety of one of their covers. This one is a cover from another artist featured in this countdown

Simon & Garfunkelzamboni"Somewhere They Can't Find Me"
This one takes me back to my childhood. My parents didn't play music in the house very often, but their record cabinet was pretty full and ran quite the range, from Jim Reeves to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir to Chet Atkins to Peter, Paul and Mary to Bob Newhart to Vaugh Meader to Simon and Garfunkel. When they did play a record, it was usually Simon and Garfunkel, and Somewhere They Can't Find Me was one I remember playing lots of times. I guess I never really took much interest in their impact on the culture, since they didn't seem to have much of an impact on my parents, other than they liked their songs. My dad, a self-taught guitar and banjo player, always mentions Paul Simon's "interesting" choices of chords, but since the only thing I ever learned to play was the radio, I could only ever take his word for it.

Speaking of my dad, if we decide to run this back, I'm going to stake my claim now on his favorite band, the Seldom Scene.

Twilight- Elliott Smith

"Haven't laughed this hard in a long time
I better stop now before I start crying”

To me this is one of Elliott's saddest. although its such a simple song, it carries so much emotion in its lyrics and Elliott's voice is beautifully sad. It also touches on a running theme in many of his songs... Drug addiction and relationships. Once again, depending on my mood this song could rate much higher.

#30 - Ray Charles - Ain't That Love Spotify

Ray wrote this song back in 1957, and it was the first song on what is considered his debut album. The songs had been released as singles prior to being put together as an album. Ray wrote 9 of the 14 songs on it. 11 of the songs were Top 10 hits including "Ain't That Love." I love the happy vibe of this song, and the backup singers singing and clapping. The official The Raelettes had not been born yet.

You can hear his church roots in this song, although there is no talk of Jesus or God. Ray took the gospel sound and turned it into secular songs, and mixed it with blues and jazz, and whatever else he wanted. He said once that the only time he ever got flack for music he wanted to do was by the church. On this same album, he did a specific song that carried that santified sound but was lyrically suggestive, and the church thought he was going straight to hell for it. Other than being sacrilegious in the eyes of the church, that song was very important in another way. It is coming up later in the countdown.

Genesis - One for the Vine

Album: Wind & Wuthering
Year: 1976

This was the last song that made the cut for my list (That’s All would have ranked a bit higher but I wanted that one to kick off my list). Out of a group of about 5-6 songs to choose for my last spot, I chose this for two reasons:
1) I didn’t have anything else from this album on my list yet
2) The group played this song live a lot and I saw it performed a number of times.

This is a good live version from the Three Sides Live album (although the fans keep the inking the song is ending as it transitions between sections):

Warning: song contains lots of Collins falsetto and also some Genesis-style wonkiness about half way in (is that a duck call?). ETA duck call is on the studio version, laser noises are on the live version.

A nice mellow song about a messianic ruler leading his people off to their deaths.

Last edited:
Twilight- Elliott Smith

To me this is one of Elliott's saddest. although its such a simple song, it carries so much emotion in its lyrics and Elliott's voice is beautifully sad. It also touches on a running theme in many of his songs... Drug addiction and relationships. Once again, depending on my mood this song could rate much higher.
Have you ever wondered if Elliott's girlfriend killed him? I have.

Okay, some listening got done.

New-to-me artists (Heard of but never really dove in at all):

Jorge Ben Jor (Don Quixote) - Any interesting track sung in a foreign language gets an immediate, "Well, this is dope, too bad I can't understand what the person is saying" from me. Apparently, he is a rascal and she will always come back. So the translation tells me, anyway.
The Tragically Hip (Northern Voice) - This sounds a lot like Fugazi when they get downcast and downbeat and Ian MacKaye sings. But the build-up and subsequent guitar that happens is a lot different. Can you tell I'm liveblogging the song? "We live to survive our paradoxes." As Oscar Wilde would say, "The way of paradoxes is the way of truth." I did my drunk studying of Wilde in my twenties. Paradox played a large role in his writings and plays.
Deadmau5 (zazale) - Interesting shift at 3:16 in. John? Okay, that's a sports/Bible joke. Cool song. I'm okay with rolling to this soundtrack. Then again at 5:45, but not so radical this time.

New-to-me songs:

Dinosaur Jr. (KP) - "Garden." I love it. But I'm a later-period Dino Jr. honk. I'll listen to just about anything. Barlow-penned song, I assume. J Mascis faking his guitar solo on the bass in the video.
Foo Fighters (Just Win Baby) - Enjoyed it. A little vox effects, some heavy riffage.
Ryan Adams (Dr. Octopus) - Adams is outside of my wheelhouse, but nothing wrong with a prettily arranged and well-performed song. I'm getting a real sinister vibe from the lyrics here. Not as pretty as the song would have you believe.
Green Day (MAC_32) - Another gypsy-inspired song from the Green Day guys. MAC, ever listen to Gogol Bordello? You probably should. You'd also like various punk/folk bands, it seems. Just hit me up.
The Police (zegras11/Getz) - A rocker from Outlandos D'Amour. It can't quite top the other hits from the album, but it's a rockin' good one.
The Prodigy (titusbramble) - There are screaming cars! There are screaming cars! Oh yeah, dummy, the track is called "Speedway." This is pretty righteous once it gets going, though. Pretty sped-up BPM. This is for uppers only.
The Hold Steady (scorchy) - Rocker with spoken word feel. What Finn does best. Lots of bon mots and such. Great ****ing lyrics. "Half the crowd is calling out for 'Born To Run. The other half is calling out for 'Born To Lose.'"

Known-to-me songs:

Modest Mouse (The Dreaded Marco) - Of course I dig this. And this album is my favorite of theirs, too, believe it or not.
Spoon (Hov 34) - I'm going to comment on every Spoon song every time. Because I pretty much like them all. This is a rocker. Love the whistling. They played this at Boston Calling in 2014 (?). Great show, great song.
Elton John (timschochet) - So goodbye yellow brick road. This is Elton at his best, really.
Bruce Springsteen (DrIanMalcom) - The Springsteen song. Like the ultimate one. Not number thirty, silly. There must have been a mistake in the countdown or something. "Tramps like us..."

Twilight- Elliott Smith

I believe that she did... who stabs themselves in the heart... twice?

#30 Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues (1971 - Muswell Hillbillies)

Well #30 is another one from the Muswell Hillbillies album. I love me some Muswell Hillbillies, but as much as I love the songs on the album, the recordings on the original album seem a little sub par to me, almost muted. I tend to prefer later release versions and live performances of them. Thus, like I did for Alcohol, I have again linked a live performance instead of the studio track. For the second song in a row I give a tip of the cap to the Mike Cotton Sound for the jazzy horn work. I actually kept trading this song and Alcohol back and forth for the last to song to make my list, however, I ended up including both when I decided to bump something else off the list.

I'm too terrified to walk out of my own front door,
They're demonstrating outside I think they're gonna start the third world war,
I've been to my local head shrinker,
To help classify my disease,
He said it's one of the cases of acute schizophrenia he sees.

Well the milkman's a spy, and the grocer keeps on following me,
And the woman next door's an undercover for the K.G.B.,
And the man from the Social Security
Keeps on invading my privacy,
Oh there ain't no cure for acute schizophrenia disease.

I've got acute schizophrenia paranoia too,
Schizophrenia, schizophrenia,
I've got it, you've got it, we can't lose,
Acute schizophrenia blues.

I'm lost on the river, the river of no return,
I can't make decisions, I don't know which way I'm gonna turn,
Even my old dad, lost some of the best friends he ever had,
Apparently, his was a case of acute schizophrenia too.

I got acute schizophrenia paranoia too,
Schizophrenia, schizophrenia,
I've got it, you've got it, we can't lose,
Acute schizophrenia blues,

They're watching my house and they're tapping my telephone,
I can't trust nobody, but I'm much too scared to be on my own
And the income tax collector's got his beady eye on me,
Oh there ain't no cure for acute schizophrenia disease.

No there ain't no cure for
Schizophrenia disease.

30. Choke (off The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here, 2013)

Before you ask for something better
You should know I'm practiced at goodbyes
Are you so deprived

(Youtube Version) Alice In Chains - Choke
Live Version

Two choices in, and I’ve featured two songs that are last on their album. This wasn’t intentional, though I suppose it works out okay for when it’s the end of a list. Naturally, this won’t be the last closer on my list. From Cantrell, Choke isn’t necessarily about a relationship being severed, but more (re-)evaluating the situation. Not that the message here is particularly subtle: swallow your pride, or choke on it. I also think there's a Stone Temple Pilots-like vibe here, but judge for yourself!

Last edited:
30. What Else Can I Say
Album: Chicago III (1971)
Writer: Peter Cetera
Lead vocals: Peter Cetera
Released as a single? No

One of Peter Cetera's first compositions for the band, What Else Can I Say has an extremely compelling melody and was one of the band's first songs to contain elements of country, boasting prominent steel guitar. I love how the vocal melody hits you almost right away, how the band creates a very interesting couple of measures to transition from the verses to the chorus, and, most especially, how the harmonies soar. You've gotta think that Cetera, and maybe some of the others in the band, had CSN(Y) on the mind when this was written and recorded. And maybe the Beatles, too -- the guitar line happening during the "tonight, tonight, tonight" part evokes George Harrison.
To me, this sounds like a surefire hit for 1971, but inexplicably it was not released as a single. Possibly this could have been due to band politics. Robert Lamm, Terry Kath and James Pankow were not thrilled that Cetera was starting to write as well -- the more songs you got on an album, the more royalties you got -- and his other contribution to III did get tabbed as a single, so perhaps the "new" writer getting two singles was a thought the others couldn't bear.
Played live only a handful of times, none of which are on YouTube.

Chicago III, the band's third consecutive double LP (all of which were released between April 1969 and January 1971), was even more experimental than its predecessors, and is notable for having two of its sides taken up entirely by suites (side 2's Travel Suite, mostly written by Lamm, and side 4's Elegy, mostly written by Pankow). While III had several catchy tunes, the two that were released as singles did well but weren't monster smashes like the breakthrough hits from II, so since the '80s it hasn't had the presence on radio to the same extent that the first two albums do. (In fact, because interest in all three albums was feverish in 1971, Columbia followed the two singles from III with three singles -- one a double A-side -- from the first two, and they all performed better.)
Another thing that distinguishes III from its predecessors is that it's got an even more prominent "lay back and listen to this while stoned" vibe to it. The studio chatter, the mellow hippie vibe of some of the tracks and the presence of several ambitious suites contribute to this. The mellowness may have been a reflection of the circumstances of the album's recording. The band's touring schedule in 1969 and 1970 was absolutely insane. They did not have difficulty coming up with enough material for the second album because there were a lot of tunes left over from the first album and before. But most of III had to be written on the road or in the studio, and there's an aura of tiredness about some of it -- which is not the same thing as lack of energy. However, both suites have instrumental passages that lose me, which rarely happened on the other Kath-era records.

At #29 we have a collaboration between Chicago and Jim Guercio's other big client.

Genesis - One for the Vine

Album: Wind & Wuthering
Year: 1976

This was the last song that made the cut for my list (That’s All would have ranked a bit higher but I wanted that one to kick off my list). Out of a group of about 5-6 songs to choose for my last spot, I chose this for two reasons:
1) I didn’t have anything else from this album on my list yet
2) The group played this song live a lot and I saw it performed a number of times.

This is a good live version from the Three Sides Live album (although the fans keep the inking the song is ending as it transitions between sections):

Warning: song contains lots of Collins falsetto and also some Genesis-style wonkiness about half way in (is that a duck call?). ETA duck call is on the studio version, laser noises are on the live version.

A nice mellow song about a messianic ruler leading his people off to their deaths.

Falsetto? **** that.

Twilight- Elliott Smith

She did.

#30-
Todd RundgrenNew Binky the DoormatLysistrata

this is off the four piece Utopia's 4th album - "Swing To The Right". Tight pop-rock in the depths of the Reagan administration, hence the album title. Solid tunes on the album and a great cover of the O'Jays "For the Love of Money".

the song is based on a 411 B.C Greek comedy "Lysistrata" in which the title character leads the women of their warring states to withhold sex from the men until they stop the war.

it worked.

Last edited:
The Highwomen are Brandi Carlile, Amanda Shires, Maren Morris, and Natalie Hemby. They joined up in 2019 to record a female country singer super-group because they didn't hear enough female voices on country radio.
I've never really considered Brandi Carlile country, but the group brings it out of her here. I think a good song about female empowerment fills a role on our playlist.

Random thoughts about some songs I know:

Lysistrata is a clever take on the Aristophanes play, fashioned into a commentary about the Reagan Administration's love of war. I like the choice to use an acoustic live version, as I'm not a fan of the production on the post-1980 Utopia albums.
Truth Hits Everybody is one of the most energetic Police songs and a highlight of their debut album. It's basically power pop, which I am totally cool with.
One for the Vine is dramatic and ambitious, but in a less grandiose way than Genesis were in the Gabriel years. There is another song from Wind and Wuthering that I would rank very highly that looks like it will not be on Yo Mama's list.
I Ain't Gonna Stand for It has the urgency that much of Stevie's best material possesses.
To me, Wading in the Velvet Sea is memorable for two reasons. One, it was the song Phish played at sunrise to culminate their midnight-to-sunrise set at the turn of the millenium. Two, when they played it at their final show before their breakup in 2004 (which would last four years), Page McConnell couldn't get through the vocal without crying.
Many ELO songs sound like The Beatles. I always thought Telephone Line sounded like Wings. Lynne's "yeah, yeah, yeahs" before the chorus sound a lot like Paul to me.
A HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS BELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One of my favorite Springsteen songs is on Born to Run, but it's not the title track.
You could include almost* every track from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on a top 31 Elton list -- it would comprise half the list -- and I wouldn't complain.

* - Jamaica Jerk-Off is hot garbage.

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of DeadplinkoOpera Obscure
Sounds like Jane's Addiction in spots, especially the drumming and the swirling guitars -- even the vocal (is this Keely or Miller?) sounds a little like Farrell.

The Tragically Hip - Springtime in Vienna

We live to survive our paradoxes

Live performance from Toronto from back in the day... man this song pops here

From 1996's 'Trouble at the Henhouse, on many days my favourite album of theirs. This is close to peak Tragically Hip.

Presumably referencing both the beauty of Vienna in the spring and the atrocities that took place in that time in WWII (Past territorial piss - posts, past whispers in the closets). Gord Downie has said in the past this is his favourite song he ever wrote with The Hip.

#30 "Ain't Gonna Stand For It" - Stevie Wonder

Off of 1980's Hotter Than July. After Journey Through The Secret Life Of Plants had pissed off a lot of people, Stevie figured he'd better come out with something more traditional. The LP isn't as consistently great as his '70s stuff, but it's still pretty damned good.

The first time I heard this song, it was ticking me off because Wonder seems to be trying to out-Jagger Jagger's "country" twang on the verses (there's even what sounds like a slide guitar in there!). But the chorus is one of his best, which is saying something, and the verses grew less irritating to me the more I listened. It's also humorous, which isn't the norm for him. It's a bit on the lightweight side of things, but it's a fun song and would be a career-maker for most everyone else.

I got to admit it is hard for me to follow so many different artists at once. I am cool with listening to the mix, but it is tough for me to remember which song belonged to which artist and we are only 2 songs in. I am doing my best to represent the “Dummy” part. I am also shocked by so many artists that I have never heard of before and I look them up and see they have been around for 30 years.

As far as new exposure, I am especially enjoying the Modest Mouse, Elliott Smith, and Dinosaur Jr stuff so far. I am also glad Warren Zevon is part of this. These early entries are reminding me how much I enjoy him, but I haven’t listened to much in a long time.

Lastly, I was surprised there were so many big time titles shared from various artists in the #30 slot…Telephone Line, Born to Run, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Hell’s Bells, for example. I know some lists are not in order of best at #1, but I am curious as to where those lists will go on the journey

The Decemberists
#30 Midlist Author

It's jaunty. It's fun. And much like the lyrics this song "You're never the best but you're never the worst"

BTW, seems like a lot of us used #31 to jump start the series. I've heard of every artist we're tracking, but I don't think I'm familiar with more than a half dozen songs in the #30 playlist. Looking forward to diving into this ... now.

Here are the #30's!!!

#30-
Todd RundgrenNew Binky the DoormatLysistrata
Jorge Ben JorDon QuixoteSe Segura Malandro

Brandi CarlileJB Breakfast ClubRedesigning Women Highwomen
https://open.spotify.com/track/7IgYxRCJtp36BlDUEoLEg7?si=a0ba2e0395b04687

I had a roommate freshmen year that was a huge Todd fan (probably still is) and I'd burned out on him so never heard this before. I do listen to the new stuff old artists put out and Todd made my playlist last year. Hope that song makes your countdown as I thought it was awesome.

JBJ - I like this and probably something I'd never have come across. Feels like music for a summer cocktail party (in the best way possible).

Brandi Carlile - I don't typically like country. But I like Redesigning Women Go figure.

I’ll keep applying the “Thumper Rule” from previous drafts but can already tell there are a few artists that I just won’t really “get” - but there have been some pleasant surprises with stuff I didn’t really think I would like, but have.

At the very least these lists are very diverse which adds to the fun of going through the playlist.

I’m hoping this exercise carries on to Pt. 2 so we can all keep spreading the music and finding some new jams.

Although I love Peter Gabriel and would rank his solo stuff above any phase of Genesis, I will say my two favorite Genesis albums are the first two where Collins took over vocals, but Steve Hackett was still around: “A Trick of the Tail”and “Wind & Wurthering”.
One for the Vine - was a great choice.

Green Day (MAC_32) - Another gypsy-inspired song from the Green Day guys. MAC, ever listen to Gogol Bordello? You probably should. You'd also like various punk/folk bands, it seems. Just hit me up.
Can't say I have, so feel free to pound my inbox (no, not that).

I thought it was important to follow up Misery with the not as violently (but violent in a different way) of a left turn Peacemaker. It demonstrates their development from creating music about morality at the personal level to political. I think this gypsy carnival about a solider that becomes a sexually charged killer (up to interpretation if metaphorical or literal) overtly had a middle eastern vibe to symbolize what was happening in the world in the late aughts.

Well, call the assassin, the orgasm, a spasm of love and hate
For what will divide us? The righteous and the meek
Well, call of the wild...HEY HEY! Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey...
Well, death to the girl at the end of the serenade

Time for some random appreciation from the #30s.

Gone Cold - Clutch. A slow, rhythmic boil of a song that almost made me wonder if I’d stumbled onto a song sung by Tom Waits or Nick Cave. Definitely enjoyed the style.

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur - Sigur Ros. (Yes, I did copy/paste that title) Obviously I didn’t understand a word, as I didn’t follow the link for lyrics from scoresman until afterwards. But when he describes it as upbeat and energetic, I have to agree.

Garden - Dinosaur Jr. Dreamy, almost introspective song. This is a band that seemed to skirt the edge of my style, so this is a(nother) playlist I’ll be paying attention to.

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen. I’m not sure what to say about such a well-known song, except supposing that it speaks to the depth of his catalog.

Ain’t That Love - Ray Charles.I don’t believe I’ve heard this before. Yet it carries that consistent style from Ray, that energy and soul that make it seem familiar.

Opera Obscura - Trail of Dead. A tone shift from most of this group, but that’s what shuffling gets you. Likely deserves more than one listen for me to sink my teeth into it.

Lastly, I was surprised there were so many big time titles shared from various artists in the #30 slot…Telephone Line, Born to Run, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Hell’s Bells, for example. I know some lists are not in order of best at #1, but I am curious as to where those lists will go on the journey
Jwb mentioned that he inadvertently submitted his elo list in "Binky " order so his are coming out favorite to least favorite.

#30 Hells Bells (Back in Black)

I hadn’t any familiarity with AC/DC before Back in Black. Pretty sure I was hooked as soon as I heard the first GONGGGG and if not then it was when Angus’ guitar kicked in after the 6th Gong.

Great lyrics on this one too, some of the best from the Brian era.

This one and #31 For Those About To Rock are way closer to my top 10 then 30/31 but I wanted to start my playlist off with a Bang. Two Brian songs already means it’s time for a Bon tune next.

Album breakdown

0 74 Jailbreak
0 High Voltage
0 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
0 Let There Be Rock
0 PowerAge
0 Highway To Hell
1 Back in Black
1 For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)
0 Flick of the Switch
0 Fly On The Wall
0 Who Made Who
0 Blow Up Your Video
0 The Razor’s Edge
0 BallBreaker
0 Stiff Upper Lip
0 Black Ice
0 Rock or Bust
0 Power Up

Users who are viewing this thread