What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Tyson Vs Jake Paul? (1 Viewer)

Yea the videos Tyson’s account are posting everyday are legitimately terrifying. There is no way Paul can beat him if this is a legit competition. I’m sorry, it’s impossible.
The last thing to go is power. Paul acknowledges this in the clip above.

Tyson lands one good punch and it’s over. I,for one, would love to see it.
I don’t think he’s allowed to punch hard or to the head.

I'd heard they're wearing headgear and using massively padded gloves, basically pillows. Should still knock Paul into next week but might not fade him into Bolivan.
Where’d you hear this?

From everything I’ve heard, Tyson is taking it seriously & haven’t heard anything about the gear being compromised.
There was an interview with Derek Chisora (NSFW - language) basically claiming this. Nothing he said has been substantiated in any way from what I have seen.

Henry Cujedo dropped on a podcast iron Mike gonna make 20 million for this. Don't know if accurate but damn that's some coin.

Yea the videos Tyson’s account are posting everyday are legitimately terrifying. There is no way Paul can beat him if this is a legit competition. I’m sorry, it’s impossible.
Paul's only fight that he's fought a real boxer was Tommy Fury, where he lost.

But, 20 years age difference is huge. Victor Belfort knocked Holyfield around like a rag doll. Paul wins if he escapes the first couple of rounds and I'd like nothing more than for Tyson to knock him out cold.

That’s the narrative some are pushing.

Personally, I don’t take Tyson for the type to throw a fight.

He’s a lot of things, but he’s always respected boxing. Even when he bit Evander’s ear, and sarcastically apologized, he’s since come out as remorseful that he did it, and that he didn’t give a serious apology.

He isn’t poor, isn’t desperate for money.

I’m really hoping it’s a legit fight & the knee jerk cynicism isn’t accurate.

All fouls by Holyfield

After watching that I have a completely different outlook on that incident. I can’t say that I blame Mike.

I’ve heard Mike apologize, Ive never heard anything from the not so aptly named Holyfield (whom was actually my favorite fighter at the time).

He’s a lot of things, but he’s always respected boxing. Even when he bit Evander’s ear, and sarcastically apologized, he’s since come out as remorseful that he did it, and that he didn’t give a serious apology.

All fouls by Holyfield

After watching that I have a completely different outlook on that incident. I can’t say that I blame Mike.

I’ve heard Mike apologize, Ive never heard anything from the not so aptly named Holyfield (whom was actually my favorite fighter at the time).
Yeah, I saw that. He was 💯 cheap shotting Tyson.

My point though was that it showed integrity for Tyson to admit that his apology at the time was BS, and that he did feel badly for letting down the sport.

Mike Tyson *loves* boxing. I cannot imagine him taking a dive or participating in a sham of a fight.

Sure, this one’s a spectacle. And sure, he’s getting paid. But I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t give it his all. My only question is how much his all is at 57. Hoping he pleasantly surprises.

All fouls by Holyfield

Yeah, I saw that. He was 💯 cheap shotting Tyson.

My point though was that it showed integrity for Tyson to admit that his apology at the time was BS, and that he did feel badly for letting down the sport.

Mike Tyson *loves* boxing. I cannot imagine him taking a dive or participating in a sham of a fight.

Sure, this one’s a spectacle. And sure, he’s getting paid. But I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t give it his all. My only question is how much his all is at 57. Hoping he pleasantly surprises.

I’m with ya - I only posted it because I don’t think most people have seen those dirty fouls by Holyfield and Tyson has been forever tarnished by it.

I don’t think Tyson is going to let Paul win but he didn’t exactly go 100% against Roy Jones. That was a complete sham.

He threw his most recent fight. What are you talking about?

I'd heard they're wearing headgear and using massively padded gloves, basically pillows. Should still knock Paul into next week but might not fade him into Bolivan.
Where’d you hear this?

From everything I’ve heard, Tyson is taking it seriously & haven’t heard anything about the gear being compromised.
Heard from who? The people who want your money?

I didn’t see that one.

I didn’t see that one.
You didn't see the fight against Roy Jones?
He didn't try to lose, but he sure didn't try to win.

I didn’t see that one.
To be fair, he obviously won the fight even though he wasn't trying to knock RJJ out. But it was an exhibition so they just called it a draw.

I didn’t see that one.
Did not. Hopefully this one’s different. As we get older we become concerned with our legacy. Maybe Tyson will have that in mind here.

Plus Paul is so…punchable.

I mean.....ask yourself why Tyson is +300. If you truly believe Tyson is going to kill this guy, why is he a heavy underdog?

This thing is akin to the Hulk Hogan/Rocky Balboa exhibition from Rocky III. It's staged. But, people watch professional wrestling even though they are aware that it's fake too, so.....knock yourself out I guess.

I mean.....ask yourself why Tyson is +300. If you truly believe Tyson is going to kill this guy, why is he a heavy underdog?

This thing is akin to the Hulk Hogan/Rocky Balboa exhibition from Rocky III. It's staged. But, people watch professional wrestling even though they are aware that it's fake too, so.....knock yourself out I guess.

To be clear, are you saying the answer to why he's a heavy underdog is because Las Vegas knows it's staged and they know Tyson will throw the fight?

To be clear, are you saying the answer to why he's a heavy underdog is because Las Vegas knows it's staged and they know Tyson will throw the fight?

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. Because if you read the sentiment in here about old man Tyson being in prime shape and having old man power still and would destroy a punk like Paul, then why on earth is the betting line so skewed?

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. Because if you read the sentiment in here about old man Tyson being in prime shape and having old man power still and would destroy a punk like Paul, then why on earth is the betting line so skewed?

I know little about boxing gambling. But my answer to that question would be something along the lines of some people think Tyson still has old man power. And they're betting the underdog can win.

But that's a radically different thing than thinking Mike Tyson will throw the fight.

But you could well be right. I was mostly trying to make sure I understood what you were saying. Thanks.

There's all sorts of levels of "throwing the fight".
I'd consider not trying 100% to win the fight and/or KO the other guy to be throwing the fight, like when he taught Roy Jones. He didn't even throw hardly any punches to the head.
I simply don't think this will be a "real" fight.......but I sure hope it is

I'm not going to say the fix is in on this fight, but I mean, come on, if Paul wins, imagine future ppv's with him as part of the card. Whereas if Tyson wins, who is he going to fight next and what kind of audience would that attract?
If Paul knows one thing, it's how to attract an audience. Whether you like him or not and I'm pretty sure FBG's are not his target audience here, but his past ppv's have all been pretty big draws.

I know little about boxing gambling. But my answer to that question would be something along the lines of some people think Tyson still has old man power. And they're betting the underdog can win.

But that's a radically different thing than thinking Mike Tyson will throw the fight.

But you could well be right. I was mostly trying to make sure I understood what you were saying. Thanks.

To be clear, I didn't say that Tyson would "Throw the fight" in my post this morning. But I do think this is nothing more than theater that is staged and Tyson won't be trying to take this guy's head off. Does that mean he's 'throwing it'? I don't know but I don't think he's going to fight the guy the way he would have if he were still a professional boxer. I just think this is akin to professional wrestling in that the outcome is pre-arranged.

I said 20 years earlier. It's 30.

Jake is 27. Mike is 57. That's why Jake is favored.

Of course when Mike tires out and has old man balance in the later rounds it will look just like he wasn't trying to win.

I'm not going to say the fix is in on this fight, but I mean, come on, if Paul wins, imagine future ppv's with him as part of the card. Whereas if Tyson wins, who is he going to fight next and what kind of audience would that attract?
If Paul knows one thing, it's how to attract an audience. Whether you like him or not and I'm pretty sure FBG's are not his target audience here, but his past ppv's have all been pretty big draws.

And, this thing is set for July 20th when NOTHING else is going on in the world of sports. Summer Olympics start a week later, baseball will be in mid-season form, there's no NBA, NFL is not yet in training camp. I mean, this is really it for sports so it can't be a dud. If Tyson just waltzed in and took Paul's head off in 90 seconds, NFLX would have some egg on its face.

It’s going to be staged much like the Logan Paul-Mayweather fight. Floyd literally knocked him out by accident and held him standing.

The demographic here is heavily skewed to middle aged dudes, with nostalgia for Tyson in his prime. Bt we're probably a minority of the viewing/betting audience.

Has the line moved much since it was announced?

His ppv's already suck, there is nothing that this fight is going to change when it comes to Paul's ppv's. His last fight they ended up refunding the tickets for all in attendance due to a fighter pulling out (the people had to file a claim to get the money)

I don't know the rules and sanctioning bodies and all that.

I know in the NFL, fixing a game where the outcome was predetermined is a nuclear level offense.

Boxing is not the same?

His ppv's already suck, there is nothing that this fight is going to change when it comes to Paul's ppv's. His last fight they ended up refunding the tickets for all in attendance due to a fighter pulling out (the people had to file a claim to get the money)
I'm not going to judge the events as a whole because I don't watch them. However, his PPV vs Fury was the second highest bought ppv of 2023.
And this one will be streaming live on Netflix. I'd pretty much guarantee more people will watch this than any boxing ppv in years -maybe ever.
If Paul loses, or gets humiliated, interest in future matches will be nullified.
If Paul wins, there will be bigger pay days down the line.
I'm no Paul fan by any means, but numbers is numbers and money is money.

To be clear, I didn't say that Tyson would "Throw the fight" in my post this morning.

I don't understand then:

throw a/the fight

To lose a match in a combat sport, especially boxing, intentionally. Usually done in order to take advantage of the bets placed on one's odds of winning.

I shouldn't have agreed that Tyson was going to throw the fight. As I followed up, throwing a fight is what Bruce Willis was supposed to do in Pulp Fiction, but didn't. Not sure if you've seen that movie, but that's the best example I can come up with. Bettors are attempting to fix an outcome for their financial gain.

In THIS 'fight' between Tyson and Paul, I don't think Tyson is working in conjunction with organized crime so that they can profit. I just think Tyson is getting paid a lot of money to engage in theater with Paul and that this thing is more akin to an exhibition like in Rocky III when Rocky took on Hulk Hogan. And, if you haven't seen THAT movie, then I should probably try to avoid movies altogether when attempting to clarify what I mean.

Does that help?

The demographic here is heavily skewed to middle aged dudes, with nostalgia for Tyson in his prime. Bt we're probably a minority of the viewing/betting audience.

Has the line moved much since it was announced?

According to USA Today:

Sportsbooks do not have official odds listed yet for this boxing match. But DraftKings Sportsbook head oddsmaker Johnny Avello gave his early odds of who will come out on top in the Tyson vs. Paul bout.

• Moneyline: Paul (-360), Tyson (+300)

They gonna drug test these guys? Tyson on the latest gear would be interesting.

Well that's why I asked the question yesterday....I don't really follow Paul, but folks that are into fighting are suggesting Paul is openly juicing - and I would imagine Mike is too. But who or what entity would require a test? Arlington Fight Commission? Texas? Beto? Bevo?
Definitely bevo. He’s pissed about the missing testosterone

I don't know the rules and sanctioning bodies and all that.

I know in the NFL, fixing a game where the outcome was predetermined is a nuclear level offense.

Boxing is not the same?

I don't even know if this is a sanctioned boxing match. I asked earlier if there would be drug testing and if so, by whom but I wasn't able to get an answer. There's no question in my mind that Paul is on steroids and I'd be surprised if Tyson wasn't juicing either. So who is in charge of this?

This seems far less like an actual sporting event and more of an exhibition to see how much NFLX can generate in ratings, which is why this is being held on July 20th when nothing else is going on in the world of sports.

To be clear, I didn't say that Tyson would "Throw the fight" in my post this morning.

I don't understand then:

throw a/the fight

To lose a match in a combat sport, especially boxing, intentionally. Usually done in order to take advantage of the bets placed on one's odds of winning.

I shouldn't have agreed that Tyson was going to throw the fight. As I followed up, throwing a fight is what Bruce Willis was supposed to do in Pulp Fiction, but didn't. Not sure if you've seen that movie, but that's the best example I can come up with. Bettors are attempting to fix an outcome for their financial gain.

In THIS 'fight' between Tyson and Paul, I don't think Tyson is working in conjunction with organized crime so that they can profit. I just think Tyson is getting paid a lot of money to engage in theater with Paul and that this thing is more akin to an exhibition like in Rocky III when Rocky took on Hulk Hogan. And, if you haven't seen THAT movie, then I should probably try to avoid movies altogether when attempting to clarify what I mean.

Does that help?

Sorry but not really. And yes, I understand those movies.

You said Tyson was a big underdog because the fight was staged.

I assume you meant staged for Tyson to lose.

That's how most people define throwing a fight: "To lose a match in a combat sport, especially boxing, intentionally."

I asked, "To be clear, are you saying the answer to why he's a heavy underdog is because Las Vegas knows it's staged and they know Tyson will throw the fight?"

You answered, "Yes, that's what I'm suggesting".

That's fine if you think that. I was just surprised.

And also a little surprised to see that some people were surprised some people think an underdog could win. That happens all the time in the NFL.

But I'm a noob on boxing so I don't really know anything.

And I guess the big thing is it seems odd a guy like Mike Tyson would intentionally be part of a fixed fight. He's had a wild past for sure. But some things are a bridge too far for great competitors. Even, maybe especially, older ones. But maybe there's much more behind the scenes I have no understanding of.

They want bets on Tyson. Because it’s either a draw or Paul wins. I told y’all the script says this one is a draw and the next one ppv, which Paul wins. :boatloads: :mansion: :moneybag:

I don't understand then:

throw a/the fight

Does that help?

Sorry but not really. And yes, I understand those movies.

You said Tyson was a big underdog because the fight was staged.

I assume you meant staged for Tyson to lose.

That's how most people define throwing a fight: "To lose a match in a combat sport, especially boxing, intentionally."

I asked, "To be clear, are you saying the answer to why he's a heavy underdog is because Las Vegas knows it's staged and they know Tyson will throw the fight?"

You answered, "Yes, that's what I'm suggesting".

That's fine if you think that. I was just surprised.

And also a little surprised to see that some people were surprised some people think an underdog could win. That happens all the time in the NFL.

But I'm a noob on boxing so I don't really know anything.

Yes, I think this is a staged event where the outcome is already known. I don't think Tyson is going to 'win' this fight. I also don't think this is going to look like anything we remember from the halcyon days of Tyson fighting, which is why I've called it an exhibition of sorts. Theater.

I also tried to clarify the difference between a staged event and throwing a fight, but we can just agree to disagree there. I see those as two different things, you don't and that's okay.

And I guess the big thing is it seems odd a guy like Mike Tyson would intentionally be part of a fixed fight. He's had a wild past for sure. But some things are a bridge too far for great competitors. Even, maybe especially, older ones. But maybe there's much more behind the scenes I have no understanding of.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

is your answer

All fouls by Holyfield

man thats crazy/ he never even got a warning from the ref for the low blows.

All fouls by Holyfield

man thats crazy/ he never even got a warning from the ref for the low blows.
Yeah, Mills Lane really booted that fight

Users who are viewing this thread