What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Tyson Vs Jake Paul? (2 Viewers)

This isnt the 90's. You guys are giving a 57 year old Tyson too much credit.
I'm not saying Paul will win, but I'm not saying he wont.
Tyson is still strong and still bat-s crazy.
Yeah. I’m sure they have an exhibition agreement……no heavy head shots etc but damn if Paul pisses him off in the ring it might be all bets off lol.
Tyson also seems a guy like any goat that is just hyper competitive. Like he is going to destroy anyone in his way no matter what. I don’t think its a mentality the greats can shut off. Especially when in a ring again…and he gets hit…all “agreements “ are off. Thats why they were great.

See, I think Tyson has really softened over the last few years. He doesn't want to be that "animal" anymore and is in a much better place mentally. You should hear him on podcasts, etc. He really has become an introspective guy with a lot of great insights.
I agree, he is very chill and likely pretty friendly with Jake Paul. I highly doubt he wants to hurt him.

They not teach kids to keep their hands up anymore? Lads left hand could have not been more down.
The guy Joshua beat was an MMA fighter in only his 2nd boxing match so this was IMO an extremely unfair fight. Also what you didn't see is the guy getting KO'd had just got off the mat after being hit with a huge punch, he wasn't all the there and had the look of a defeated fighter.

But some guys do train to keep their hands down to invite their opponent in and counter attack. But you need to really damn quick to use that style. That wasn't what happened here. This was just a guy who hasn't trained enough and wasn't thinking clearly.

If Tyson WANTS to win this fight I think he would win.
I think it's more likely this is just a stupid fruitless circus

I'm expecting this to be the typical money grab BS fest. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not much different than Ali fighting the MMA guy that just kicked his legs.

It's an exhibition. Nothing wrong with it, but this is closer to WWE than Hagler/Hearns.
Yeah, I expect it to be much like the Tyson-Roy Jones jr sparring match. Paul will throw a bunch of jabs. Tyson will get inside and throw some good body shots, never going to the head. At the end of the fight they’ll have an interview and Tyson will say he’s fought a ton of people and Paul is legit. Paul will say he can’t believe how hard Mike punches, it’s like getting hit by a truck. They go out for drinks after and laugh about the ten of millions they just made.

It's an exhibition. Nothing wrong with it, but this is closer to WWE than Hagler/Hearns.
Yeah, I expect it to be much like the Tyson-Roy Jones jr sparring match. Paul will throw a bunch of jabs. Tyson will get inside and throw some good body shots, never going to the head. At the end of the fight they’ll have an interview and Tyson will say he’s fought a ton of people and Paul is legit. Paul will say he can’t believe how hard Mike punches, it’s like getting hit by a truck. They go out for drinks after and laugh about the ten of millions they just made.

This.

Paul will throw a bunch of jabs. Tyson will get inside and throw some good body shots, never going to the head. At the end of the fight they’ll have an interview and Tyson will say he’s fought a ton of people and Paul is legit. Paul will say he can’t believe how hard Mike punches, it’s like getting hit by a truck.

I'd say this is about right.

I'm expecting this to be the typical money grab BS fest. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not much different than Ali fighting the MMA guy that just kicked his legs.
I believe you are referring to Antonio Inoki who was a professional wrestler in Japan but also had some shoot style skills. Here is the info from Wiki

=====================

His most famous bout was against heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali on June 26, 1976, in Tokyo.[38] Inoki initially promised Ali a rigged match to get him to fight in Japan, but when the deal materialized, Ali's camp feared that Inoki would turn the fight into a shoot, which many believe was Inoki's intention. Ali visited a professional wrestling match involving Inoki and witnessed Inoki's grappling ability. The rules of the match were announced several months in advance. Two days before the match, however, several new rules were added which severely limited the moves that each man could perform. One rule change, specifying that Inoki could only throw a kick if one of his knees was on the ground, had a major effect on the outcome of the fight.[38] Ali landed a total of six punches to Inoki, and Inoki kept to his back in a defensive position for almost the entire duration of the match of 15 rounds, hitting Ali with a low kick repeatedly.[39] The bout ended in a draw, 3–3. Ali left without a press conference and suffered damage to his legs as a result of Inoki's repeated kicks

They gonna drug test these guys? Tyson on the latest gear would be interesting.

Well that's why I asked the question yesterday....I don't really follow Paul, but folks that are into fighting are suggesting Paul is openly juicing - and I would imagine Mike is too. But who or what entity would require a test? Arlington Fight Commission? Texas? Beto? Bevo?

But can Mike hold himself back? I'm hoping Angry Mike pops through and we see one good punch. Let's face it, that's all it would take.

But can Mike hold himself back? I'm hoping Angry Mike pops through and we see one good punch. Let's face it, that's all it would take.
He did against Roy. Granted there was I’m sure a mutual respect there but he had many openings to put Roy into the stratosphere.

This isnt the 90's. You guys are giving a 57 year old Tyson too much credit.
I'm not saying Paul will win, but I'm not saying he wont.
Have you seen Mike Tyson lately? He still looks extremely dangerous.
Tyson looks good in 60 second bursts. At his age, stamina is going to be an issue.

They gonna drug test these guys? Tyson on the latest gear would be interesting.
Booo ... it'd be much more fun if they didn't test.
Let them both go Ivan Drago in there. Lets see someone get lifted off their feet and land flat on their back from a right hand uppercut.
------------
Netflix is going to land a few more subscriptions for sure.

I hope Tyson beats the everlivinghell out of that clown.
I think there's a proper dividing line somewhere in the millennial generation. The millennial generation is too long, whether you cut it off in 1996 or 2000. I'm technically a young Gen X'er, but if I was born a year later I'd be a millennial. I have nothing In common with somebody born in 1996.

I'm not sure exactly where that dividing line should be, but this fight would make that easy to figure out.

Elder millennials will want Tyson destroy this idiot.

Also an elder millennial woudn't know exactly who these Paul kids are or why they are famous. They have just heard a little to know they are idiots. A younger millennial would need to explain it to them.

Exactly this. And I will probably go. AT&T Stadium is a $10 Uber from my house, so I will sit up high, have some adult beverages and watch the whole spectacle. I love a good circus.

I never really liked Tyson during the height of his boxing career, but I'll be his biggest fan during this fight. The Paul brothers are total scum

I hope Tyson beats the everlivinghell out of that clown.
I think there's a proper dividing line somewhere in the millennial generation. The millennial generation is too long, whether you cut it off in 1996 or 2000. I'm technically a young Gen X'er, but if I was born a year later I'd be a millennial. I have nothing In common with somebody born in 1996.

I'm not sure exactly where that dividing line should be, but this fight would make that easy to figure out.

Elder millennials will want Tyson destroy this idiot.

Also an elder millennial woudn't know exactly who these Paul kids are or why they are famous. They have just heard a little to know they are idiots. A younger millennial would need to explain it to them.
Younger millennials will probably want Tyson to win even more. The more you know about the Paul brothers, the more unlikeable they are.

Sticking with my assertion that unless he gets to wear a helmet and bring a knife, Jake Paul is gonna be looking at the ceiling.

Unfortunately, I think that's part of the grift. When I found out that Tyson was +300, I wanted to throw $500 on him for funsies. But my buddy who's reputation I trust indicated that he believes it's a setup and that Mike Tyson is going to take a dive for money and that it makes him sad.

I asked him if I was being a mark and he said, "yes". I guess conventional wisdom says that Jake Paul wouldn't book the fight if there was any possibility he would actually lose, but if you're willing to suspend your disbelief you can have as much watching this as you would a WWE wrestling match.

With that said, if Mike Tyson wins this, I am going to be in the market for a new friend. :lol:

Sticking with my assertion that unless he gets to wear a helmet and bring a knife, Jake Paul is gonna be looking at the ceiling.

Unfortunately, I think that's part of the grift. When I found out that Tyson was +300, I wanted to throw $500 on him for funsies. But my buddy who's reputation I trust indicated that he believes it's a setup and that Mike Tyson is going to take a dive for money and that it makes him sad.

I asked him if I was being a mark and he said, "yes". I guess conventional wisdom says that Jake Paul wouldn't book the fight if there was any possibility he would actually lose, but if you're willing to suspend your disbelief you can have as much watching this as you would a WWE wrestling match.

With that said, if Mike Tyson wins this, I am going to be in the market for a new friend. :lol:
This is something I had not considered.

I have watched I think all of the Jake Paul fights. And while every opponent was hand picked, I never got the feeling any of the fights were fixed.

Paul already has a loss on his record (no coincidence that it was also the first time he fought a non washed up MMA fighter robbed of 98% of their fighting skills due to boxing rules), so he does not have a perfect record to protect any more.

That being said, nothing is off the table here so if I watch, I will be looking closely for signs of what you mentioned in your post.

If this is true, we can only hope Tyson loses his mind in there and goes berserk on the guy ... having a big "whoops" moment.
Now that I think of it, I really miss having a heavy weight superstar in boxing. Sad that it takes an exhibition for us to get excited about a heavy weight fight.

Paul will throw a bunch of jabs. Tyson will get inside and throw some good body shots, never going to the head. At the end of the fight they’ll have an interview and Tyson will say he’s fought a ton of people and Paul is legit. Paul will say he can’t believe how hard Mike punches, it’s like getting hit by a truck.

I'd say this is about right.
i mostly hope you guys are right but we part ways on one thing i hope that what jake paul says is from a hospital bed form an injury inflicted by tyson after he punches jake paul in the ribs so hard that pauls fourth rib flies out of his body and into the suez canal and jake paul himself is launched into a slop yard at a pig operation four states away and he sustains non life threatening injuries as a result that will prevent him from functioning in society and on social media any longer otherwise i am with you 100 percent take that to the bank bromigo

Mike said he promises to retire Jake Paul & responded to the fans that think he’s doing it for the money.
Mike Tyson - “If you think I signed the contract for money,you’re f...c.king stupid. I’m coming to retire him early ,so he can join his brother in WWE. Listen he ain’t doing sh.!t to me,you gonna see how old I am fight night. I like Jake as a person he knows it,But I’m a different animal. I’m doing the world of boxing a favor. Enough with this nonsense you’ll see,Im coming for his head”

Easy to hate on the self-promotion of the Pauls but this is a good thing Jake is doing
Even the self promotion is worth commending. They are young, building a brand, and they have no corporate overlords.

Perhaps if Mike Tyson had a bit more Jake Paul in his business DNA, he wouldn't be demeaning himself by doing exhibitions with tools

Mike said he promises to retire Jake Paul & responded to the fans that think he’s doing it for the money.
Mike Tyson - “If you think I signed the contract for money,you’re f...c.king stupid. I’m coming to retire him early ,so he can join his brother in WWE. Listen he ain’t doing sh.!t to me,you gonna see how old I am fight night. I like Jake as a person he knows it,But I’m a different animal. I’m doing the world of boxing a favor. Enough with this nonsense you’ll see,Im coming for his head”

Do you have a link for that? Thanks.

Do you have a link for that? Thanks.
Honestly its a quote thats making the rounds on social media , i havent located a video of him saying this so i cant truly verify. I usually dont post quotes without a link , it just sounds like something Tyson would say , take it with a grain of salt

You mean Mike is trying to draw attention to the fight? Never woulda guessed

You mean Mike is trying to draw attention to the fight? Never woulda guessed

Of course this is part of the show. 100% there will be fisticuffs between the fighters' entourages at the weigh-in.

Yea the videos Tyson’s account are posting everyday are legitimately terrifying. There is no way Paul can beat him if this is a legit competition. I’m sorry, it’s impossible.
The last thing to go is power. Paul acknowledges this in the clip above.

Tyson lands one good punch and it’s over. I,for one, would love to see it.
I don’t think he’s allowed to punch hard or to the head.

Yea the videos Tyson’s account are posting everyday are legitimately terrifying. There is no way Paul can beat him if this is a legit competition. I’m sorry, it’s impossible.

That’s the narrative some are pushing.

Personally, I don’t take Tyson for the type to throw a fight.

He’s a lot of things, but he’s always respected boxing. Even when he bit Evander’s ear, and sarcastically apologized, he’s since come out as remorseful that he did it, and that he didn’t give a serious apology.

He isn’t poor, isn’t desperate for money.

I’m really hoping it’s a legit fight & the knee jerk cynicism isn’t accurate.

Been a fight fan for decades. It always follows this path. Fight announced and I get that oh nice feeling. Then the marketing and buildup does its job and my interest increases. This one is weird. I thought oh nice when it was announced. Then as time moves on I get less and less interested.

I'd heard they're wearing headgear and using massively padded gloves, basically pillows. Should still knock Paul into next week but might not fade him into Bolivan.

I'd heard they're wearing headgear and using massively padded gloves, basically pillows. Should still knock Paul into next week but might not fade him into Bolivan.
Where’d you hear this?

From everything I’ve heard, Tyson is taking it seriously & haven’t heard anything about the gear being compromised.

Users who are viewing this thread