What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most Clueless Coach in the NFL (1 Viewer)

Who's worst?

• Gus Bradley

Votes: 32 22.5%
  • Jeff Fisher

Votes: 84 59.2%
  • Sean Payton

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Andy Reid

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
That they've needed a QB for a long time? 
And whose job was that?

Time to stop making excuses for Fisher. The O Line is an absolute mess and that is what he used all those picks to bolster. This team has been rebuilding for his whole 5 year tenure.

The only thing surprising about this poll is that he is only at 52%

That they've needed a QB for a long time? 
They've had ample time to get one. They also waited until week 11 to start their #1-overall-pick QB. To an extent, though, all of that is missing the forest for the trees. The team's offensive woes also run a lot deeper than just finding a QB. The OL goes through a cycle of starting the year in shambles, coming together by year's end, then seemingly falling apart again the next year (despite taking an OT at #2 overall in the 2014 draft). The WRs, collectively, have been hot garbage for the entirety of Fisher's tenure. More than that, the offensive playcalling is stale, predictable and not adapted to the players' strengths. Whatever QB they trot out there will be hamstrung by the coaching.

:2cents:

And whose job was that?

Time to stop making excuses for Fisher. The O Line is an absolute mess and that is what he used all those picks to bolster. This team has been rebuilding for his whole 5 year tenure.

The only thing surprising about this poll is that he is only at 52%
In all fairness, would anyone expect Fisher to quit? He's a career 0.400 coach (over a long career)... its up to someone else to fire him, no?

Assessing Fisher as a personnel man as well, since by all accounts he has final say on personnel decisions, he's had five years with the Rams, and despite amassing a bounty of picks in the RG3 trade, managed to build a team that's no better, results-wise, than when he got there. Everyone points to the wealth of talent on the team (mostly on the defensive side), so what does the fact that they're still no better than a "7-9 BS" team say about Fisher's performance?
While I am fully on the Fisher should be fired bandwagon to say the team is no better then when he got there is dead wrong.   When he arrived they had just finished the worst 5 year run of ANY TEAM in league history.   The talent level of the team rivaled a D2 college program.  

He deserves the due credit for turning them into what they are, a perennial talented, undisciplined, underperforming team who don't know how to win.  

They've had ample time to get one. They also waited until week 11 to start their #1-overall-pick QB. To an extent, though, all of that is missing the forest for the trees. The team's offensive woes also run a lot deeper than just finding a QB. The OL goes through a cycle of starting the year in shambles, coming together by year's end, then seemingly falling apart again the next year (despite taking an OT at #2 overall in the 2014 draft). The WRs, collectively, have been hot garbage for the entirety of Fisher's tenure. More than that, the offensive playcalling is stale, predictable and not adapted to the players' strengths. Whatever QB they trot out there will be hamstrung by the coaching.

:2cents:
Honestly haven't followed the Rams that closely to know the answers here....in part I'm sure it was Fisher, but sometimes players don't work out. There are an awful lot of NFL teams that need a franchise QB. Look what HOU paid Oswieler hoping he was one. Check the Browns and their 147 QBs over the last few years. Or the Bears, or the pre-Winston Bucs or the Vikes or Redskins pre-Cousins or the post-McNabb Eagles, or the Raiders pre-Carr, etc, etc, etc. 

Good QB play makes coaches look brilliant. Bad QB play makes coaches look like idiots. This isn't a new theme in the NFL - when it comes down to it, having a franchise QB is really what matters the most to an NFL team. The league of haves and have-nots. Look at the best teams right now for proof. Raiders, Patriots, Redskins, Cowboys, Falcons - hell, even the Lions & Saints look better than they are due to having Stafford & Brees - these QBs give these flawed teams a puncher's chance in any game.  Coaches on the "haves" are rarely considered terrible, and coaches on the "have nots" are getting replaced all the time. 

Is it fair? No - but is replacing the coach a solution to what ails those teams? I'm not convinced of that either. so in that regard, I think the stability of Fisher while the Rams are committed to rebuilding is likely the best thing for them. And yes, they waited allllll the way to week 11 to start their rookie QB. Ask Steve Young how long he waited for his chance to start in the NFL, then again when he went to the Niners. Back in the day QBs used to sit for years to learn to steward their offenses. 11 weeks isn't  :censored:  for a rookie QB. And be thankful he's going to get some feet to the fire learning, because he'll be that much better for it next year. But throwing him in week 1-10 might have been enough to get him shellshocked and ruin him. Maybe Fisher did him a favor by holding him out - sparing him from the intense media scrutiny and shielding him from the spotlight that failure can bring to a young QB.  Look no further than David Carr to see how to totally destroy a talented QBs confidence and shatter his chances at a productive career. 

There's always another way to look at any situation. I'm not convinced Fisher is a terrible coach. Like I said before, you have to be pretty damn good to lose that many games. Not what fans want to hear, especially younger fans who don't understand that it takes time to adjust to the pro game. But it is what it is. Having stability at the coaching position during a rebuild is critical to the long-term success of a franchise. I see the Rams as a team on the rise, IF they can build around a QB. So time will tell if this is the right QB. If not, they become a have-not, and Fisher is likely gone.  And then Rams fans will have to pray that they get a coach who's better - which is a hell of lot easier said than done. 

IMO you could do a hell of a lot worse than Jeff Fisher. 

He's great with players - for a team in total rebuild mode with a rookie QB, he's a good fit. He's also a sharp dude and the ownership obviously likes him. 

Not saying he's undeserving of criticism - just saying how he's keeping his job. ;)  
He's also kickstarted two mediocre franchises from the ground up. 

Another great Fisher stat.  In 22 years as a head coach, he has 5 playoff wins.  And 3 of those were in 1 season.

Another great Fisher stat.  In 22 years as a head coach, he has 5 playoff wins.  And 3 of those were in 1 season.
More fun Fisher stats!

Record through 11 games in 5 season with Rams:

2012: 4-6-1

2013: 5-6

2014: 4-7

2015: 4-7

2016: 4-7

Offensive rank/yards:

2012: 23

2013: 30

2014: 28

2015: 32

2016: 31

Oh and then there's this: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rams-jeff-fisher-now-three-losses-away-from-nfl-infamy/ar-AAkPNku?li=BBnba9I&srcref=rss

But let's pat him on the back because he's good at being mediocre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending the guy. But for the Rams, during the rebuild, I think they need consistency. Even if that means being consistently mediocre. 

;)  

He's making a name for himself. He is trying to convince himself that OsWILDer is an NFL starter even though everyone else knows he isn't at this point in time. Since the owner was the dummy who spearheaded this disaster, he can hardly give up on him. However, that being said, this clown has no clue that Lamar Miller is great at catching the ball. It seems he thinks he has some sort of road grader at RB and continues to play right into Miller's weakness by running him up the middle every running play. No pitches out into space, no runs around the edge, forget about running into the flat and catching the ball. It's better to be 3rd and 8 so OsWILDer can showcase his immense skills. Miller is an elusive RB who goes down easy on first contact. He is not Earl Campbell.

He's making a name for himself. He is trying to convince himself that OsWILDer is an NFL starter even though everyone else knows he isn't at this point in time. Since the owner was the dummy who spearheaded this disaster, he can hardly give up on him. However, that being said, this clown has no clue that Lamar Miller is great at catching the ball. It seems he thinks he has some sort of road grader at RB and continues to play right into Miller's weakness by running him up the middle every running play. No pitches out into space, no runs around the edge, forget about running into the flat and catching the ball. It's better to be 3rd and 8 so OsWILDer can showcase his immense skills. Miller is an elusive RB who goes down easy on first contact. He is not Earl Campbell.
Can Osweiler throw passes to a RB?  I seriously do not know if this is in Osweilers skill set.  He seems to struggle with any pass that requires touch. 

Can Osweiler throw passes to a RB?  I seriously do not know if this is in Osweilers skill set.  He seems to struggle with any pass that requires touch. 
I don't think he can actually I think he's too goony. It's hard to have touch when your knuckles are dragging along the ground. It actually is easier with short arms. Just flick it out there. He definitely can't do that. There is a size limit on a QB. 6'5 is pushing it and you better have a compact quick throwing motion. I'd prefer Favre size at 6'2".

Likely.  But I'd still do it.  That alone says all it needs to about Fisher.
He's fun to watch when you don't have players on the team. :D  FF success for me comes when I ignore players with coaches like that dolt. Included are Caldwell, Reid and right now, OBrien among others.

I don't think he can actually I think he's too goony. It's hard to have touch when your knuckles are dragging along the ground. It actually is easier with short arms. Just flick it out there. He definitely can't do that. There is a size limit on a QB. 6'5 is pushing it and you better have a compact quick throwing motion. I'd prefer Favre size at 6'2".
I take it you do not like Osweiler much.  

Yes you would but then once you had one of those clowns, who would you want next because you definitely won't want them for long.
Not sure how Reid gets lumped in here. Over 15 season he has 2 more wins than Fisher does over 22. Sign me up.

I take it you do not like Osweiler much.  
He's awful. It's painful to watch that clown and I don't even have Hopkins. No one else is even worth a roster spot. I sat thru Andre with David Carr. BRUTAL. This appears to be much worse for Texans fans. I mean David Carr was never any good. It had nothing to do with being gun shy. He was simply clueless. Kubiak was actually the guy who was supposed to fix him and he came in after Carr was there 4 years. He quoted 'You have been in the league for 4 years, how can you not know that'.

Not sure how Reid gets lumped in here. Over 15 season he has 2 more wins than Fisher does over 22. Sign me up.
I think it's because he hasn't figured out that he cannot get to the promise land with Alex Smith. So basically he is wasting everyone's time there.

Slapdash said:
Jeff Fisher has such a long record of ineptness that he gets the edge.

Reid is pretty clueless during the games on the offensive side of the ball, but he creates really good teams.  I'd probably more frustrated as a fan of Reid's teams because they are so close to greatness.
That was always my probably with Andy. He's good, very good even in some ways. But he was never quite great. You like at the Eagles from 2000-04 and that team was as dominant as the Seahawks of today. Years of poor draft picks and head scratching in game management (along with a lot of personal baggage) meant it was time to move on.

Still the best Eagles coach in franchise history though.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Honestly haven't followed the Rams that closely to know the answers here....in part I'm sure it was Fisher, but sometimes players don't work out. There are an awful lot of NFL teams that need a franchise QB. Look what HOU paid Oswieler hoping he was one. Check the Browns and their 147 QBs over the last few years. Or the Bears, or the pre-Winston Bucs or the Vikes or Redskins pre-Cousins or the post-McNabb Eagles, or the Raiders pre-Carr, etc, etc, etc. 

Good QB play makes coaches look brilliant. Bad QB play makes coaches look like idiots. This isn't a new theme in the NFL - when it comes down to it, having a franchise QB is really what matters the most to an NFL team. The league of haves and have-nots. Look at the best teams right now for proof. Raiders, Patriots, Redskins, Cowboys, Falcons - hell, even the Lions & Saints look better than they are due to having Stafford & Brees - these QBs give these flawed teams a puncher's chance in any game.  Coaches on the "haves" are rarely considered terrible, and coaches on the "have nots" are getting replaced all the time. 

Is it fair? No - but is replacing the coach a solution to what ails those teams? I'm not convinced of that either. so in that regard, I think the stability of Fisher while the Rams are committed to rebuilding is likely the best thing for them. And yes, they waited allllll the way to week 11 to start their rookie QB. Ask Steve Young how long he waited for his chance to start in the NFL, then again when he went to the Niners. Back in the day QBs used to sit for years to learn to steward their offenses. 11 weeks isn't  :censored:  for a rookie QB. And be thankful he's going to get some feet to the fire learning, because he'll be that much better for it next year. But throwing him in week 1-10 might have been enough to get him shellshocked and ruin him. Maybe Fisher did him a favor by holding him out - sparing him from the intense media scrutiny and shielding him from the spotlight that failure can bring to a young QB.  Look no further than David Carr to see how to totally destroy a talented QBs confidence and shatter his chances at a productive career. 

There's always another way to look at any situation. I'm not convinced Fisher is a terrible coach. Like I said before, you have to be pretty damn good to lose that many games. Not what fans want to hear, especially younger fans who don't understand that it takes time to adjust to the pro game. But it is what it is. Having stability at the coaching position during a rebuild is critical to the long-term success of a franchise. I see the Rams as a team on the rise, IF they can build around a QB. So time will tell if this is the right QB. If not, they become a have-not, and Fisher is likely gone.  And then Rams fans will have to pray that they get a coach who's better - which is a hell of lot easier said than done. 

IMO you could do a hell of a lot worse than Jeff Fisher. 
On the QB thing, conversely, one could argue that the QBs we recognize as good/great may partly be a product of being paired with the right coaching staffs. The right fit can make a QB look significantly better. The wrong fit can make any QB look worse than he "is".

David Carr is the example that's always brought up with regards to why QBs shouldn't be thrown into the fire right away, but apart from being a one-person sample size, we have no evidence to indicate that Carr wouldn't have sucked if he'd sat for a while. I can't say for sure if playing Goff week 1 would've been harmful in the long term, or to what extent, but I do believe that playing is a far better learning experience than sitting on the bench watching Case Keenum.

It's not like I can't see why people choose to employ Fisher. I merely lament that the Rams do it. The existence of worse coaches isn't enough justification for the continued employment of a mediocre one. I realize it isn't unanimous, but I'd much rather have a god-awful coach who is quickly identified as such and fired in short order than one who is just good enough to string fans along, time after time, that next year will be the one. 7-9 is just as pointless as 3-13, and at least 

Let's keep the Fisher stat game rolling.....

Jeff Fisher lost his 163rd regular-season game Sunday, which breaks the tie with Tom Landry for second-most all-time by a head coach. Fisher reached it in 337 career games, while Landry did so in 418 games. The record is 165 by Dan Reeves (357 games). (ESPN Stats & Info)

It's been 20 years and active coach or not, I think Rich Kotite should get some residual consideration here.

BobbyLayne said:
Any specifics in mind?
Whatever year it was when the Colts started 13 or 14 - 0 and he started resting players for his players for the playoffs

Not having a prevent defense on the field against the Packers on the final play of  the game last year. 

Not challenging what looked like a clear fumble against the Texans. 

His clock management is awful, he is a jerk at press conferences and I know I am forgetting a few other things. 

Jeff Fisher lost his 163rd regular-season game Sunday, which breaks the tie with Tom Landry for second-most all-time by a head coach. Fisher reached it in 337 career games, while Landry did so in 418 games. The record is 165 by Dan Reeves (357 games). (ESPN Stats & Info)
Expect Fisher to hang on long enough to break the record so he can add that gem to his resume which starts out with: 'I leave a path of destruction behind me'.

So Landry & Reeves are terrible coaches too? 

This will be the game that Fisher wins that makes people think he is a good coach.
Rams D comes out with its hair on fire after taking a beating all week, feasting on a Pat O that is suffering through multiple injuries and did not look great vs the Jets last week. Gurley finally breaks though, giving No. 1 pick Goff the time he needs to use his God given skills to pick apart the Pats secondary and putting to rest all doubts over giving up six picks to move up and get him.

Wait, what's that? Fisher is 0-6 vs Belicheck and lost his last two games by a combined score of 104-7?

Scratch that. Pats roll.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
So Landry & Reeves are terrible coaches too? 
Can't speak to Reeves as I honestly didn't follow him much but Landry clearly is not.   But to that point it would take Fisher running off 81 straight wins before he catches Landry's win/loss record.    Or look at it this way, how many losses would Fisher have at his current pace once he finally does get those 81 wins to match Landry

Can't speak to Reeves as I honestly didn't follow him much but Landry clearly is not.   But to that point it would take Fisher running off 81 straight wins before he catches Landry's win/loss record.    Or look at it this way, how many losses would Fisher have at his current pace once he finally does get those 81 wins to match Landry
Would help if he coached the teams Landry did, no? 

Again; no mancrush on Fisher, just playing devil'a advocate here. 

I believe Jeff Fisher is more qualified to coach at any level of football than anyone who's commented on this topic. 

I believe Jeff Fisher is more qualified to coach at any level of football than anyone who's commented on this topic. 
While I completely agree with your last statement, against his contemporaries I would beg to differ at this point.   The game has passed him by.   The straw the broke the camels back for me happened last year when the undisiplined nature of the team continued to raise its ugly head.   It's held true this year (and every other year for that matter) and that is directly on the coaching staff, no excuses.  Year over year they shoot themselves in the foot with bad penalties.    Fishers teams are always at the top (or bottom depending on your definition) of the list of penalties.   It's inexcusable.  

While I completely agree with your last statement, against his contemporaries I would beg to differ at this point.   The game has pasted him by.   The straw the broke the camels back for me happened last year when the undisiplined nature of the team continued to raise its ugly head.   It's held true this year (and every other year for that matter) and that is directly on the coaching staff, no excuses.  Year over year they shoot themselves in the foot with bad penalties.    Fishers teams are always at the top (or bottom depending on your definition) of the list of penalties.   It's inexcusable.  
You're definitely closer to it than I am as a Rams fan.  It's certainly possible that he's as bad as folks say. Play calling is generally on the OC or DC, but discipline, drive, playing to the whistle, those fall on coaching for sure. 

Whatever year it was when the Colts started 13 or 14 - 0 and he started resting players for his players for the playoffs

Not having a prevent defense on the field against the Packers on the final play of  the game last year. 

Not challenging what looked like a clear fumble against the Texans. 

His clock management is awful, he is a jerk at press conferences and I know I am forgetting a few other things. 
Such a great point here.  His quote regarding this was something along the lines of preparing for a "side to side pass kind of thing" rather than a Hail Mary.  He also said he didn't think Rodgers could throw the ball all the way to the end zone. Kept in tired defensive linemen instead of extra DBs or even Calvin Johnson.

But is Fisher more qualified than his peers in the NFL? You could argue the game has passed him by. And that's what this thread is about. Which coach is the most clueless in today's NFL. Fisher is at least worthy of being nominated as a candidate for that award. 

And despite the Lions' winning record, I would nominate Jim Caldwell. He's not doing anything differently and this team is a mirage. It's just good fortune and a weak schedule. I'll change my tune if he wins a playoff game. 

and despite the Lions' winning record, I would nominate Jim Caldwell. He's not doing anything differently and this team is a mirage. It's just good fortune and a weak schedule. I'll change my tune if he wins a playoff game. 
I'malso not a Caldwell fan. 

Also I'm frequently disappointed that when a bad play is called no one makes a pun out of his name. 

Red herring, not devil's advocate.

Users who are viewing this thread