What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Music Draft - Rolling Stone Greatest 500 Songs Garbage List - Now with unhealthy regional pork-stuffs! (3 Viewers)

Thank you!!  And feel free to make your first pick if you wish, or wait if you'd rather.

@Northern Voice, let me know when you have the rest of the spreadsheet finalized.  I'm not touching anything until you've done whatever you wish to do.  I know it's still in progress since there are some picks filled in.

Change to 1-25, etc. might have changed my pick, but with draft slot #20 I haven't bothered to look yet.  :(  
I can wait until NV gets the spreadsheet all done.

I can promise one a day. If someone with more time on their hands wants to step in I am cool with that as well.
Another thing we could do is put you at the bottom of the draft order just before Chaos Commish.  That way you wouldn't come up as often and could make two quick picks when you do.  Chaos Commish is going to be on auto-skip, so you could take both of yours simultaneously.  What do you think of that?  (Also if anyone else doesn't like it, let me know.)

Overall strategy, you say?  Hmmm.  

By the way, I want to bold in case anyone doesn't read my or Binky's posts - REMINDER - you do not have to pick in order of the segments (in fact doing so would be bad overall strategy).  Choose any undrafted song from any segment you haven't drafted from yet.

Wonder who'll be the first to draft two songs from the same set?

Another thing we could do is put you at the bottom of the draft order just before Chaos Commish.  That way you wouldn't come up as often and could make two quick picks when you do.  Chaos Commish is going to be on auto-skip, so you could take both of yours simultaneously.  What do you think of that?  (Also if anyone else doesn't like it, let me know.)
If it lands on him anytime during the day it will stall the draft, because he said he can't participate until after work. If he is pacific time that puts it even later. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If it lands on him anytime during the day it will stall the draft, because he said he can't be participate until after work. If he is pacific time that puts it even later. 

:(   I know.  I'm just trying to find a workaround since I'd love him to be able to participate, even though he's a known Ringo-hater.

krista4 said:
simey said:
If it lands on him anytime during the day it will stall the draft, because he said he can't be participate until after work. If he is pacific time that puts it even later. 

:(   I know.  I'm just trying to find a workaround since I'd love him to be able to participate, even though he's a known Ringo-hater.

@prosopis, I'd love to have you join.  Do you think you could send picks to someone or go auto-skip during your workday hours, so we don't get stuck?  I'm sorry to have to ask.  We do have people who can't pick for a bit here and there, and we are OK to wait, but since you know it would be an issue every workday, I want to find a way not to get stuck repeatedly.  If you don't want to do that and can't participate, I totally understand.  Just let us know!

Can you put a link to the list of candidates in one of the first posts?  I'm knid of yutzy and tend to close all the windows before figuring out not to do that.

Browsing the list and I realize there's multiple sections where finding a song i'd listen to on purpose, might be a challenge 

That's the fun of it!!  :)  

We should have a judge. There should be prizes! 

:lmao:  

Can you put a link to the list of candidates in one of the first posts?  I'm knid of yutzy and tend to close all the windows before figuring out not to do that.

There's a link to the draft sheet in the first post.  The second sheet of that is called "song list" and has the list in order.  Let me know if you need something else.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE WAITING ON ME FOR.

But I think the spreadsheet is good ish to go.

Looks good to me!  Last I'd seen, there were still fake picks in there, so I thought you were playing around with it.

ANNOUNCE:  The draft sheet (linked in post #1) has (1) the draft order, (2) the list of songs (second tab), and (3) a running tally of who has taken a song in each 25-song segment (third tab).  As picks are made, I will fill them in on the draft sheet, and the second tab will turn RED for each song already taken.  I will also turn the related 25-song segment listed for you on the third tab to RED so that we can keep track of who has what.

@landrys hat, we're ready now when you are.

This spreadsheet is fancy.  Drop-down menus, cross-tabby stuff that automatically fills things (sure, there's probably a word for that), etc.  Thank you again, @Northern Voice!!!  (And with hat tips to landrys hat and Eephus, too.)

That spreadsheet is a masterpiece.

Thank you.

It's amazing.  I used the drop-downs for the artist and song, and it automatically filled in the RS #38 and put red shading on the song on the second sheet.  Then I only had to red-shade the segment on the third tab.  

Next up I'm doing a draft of music draft draft sheets.  This is my #1 pick - don't snipe me!

Round 1

#483 "I Can't Help Myself" - Four Tops

I don't really have a theme or strategy for this draft, other than "pick songs I love". 

This is one of those records that, when it starts, every listener starts tapping their feet or shimmying their shoulders or just smiles (or all three). The intro is like a Ball Of Good Momentum rolling down a mountain. The best Motown records of the '60s started at an incredibly high EQ and ratcheted it up from there.

Then, there's the singer. Out of all of the front-line Motown singers, Levi Stubbs was probably the most limited in vocal ability. I mean, he doesn't even belong in the same stratosphere with someone like Marvin Gaye or Stevie Wonder or Martha Reeves or David Ruffin. But what he was good at, he was REALLY good at. And that was these kind of mid-tempo (for Motown) pleas for love and being able to stomp on a beat with his voice - only James Brown did that better.

@Pip's Invitation be next, I believe

1.04 Lola -- The Kinks (#386, bloc 376-400)

My "strategy" is that I went through each bloc and identified songs that I would have no hesitation about drafting. Then I counted up how many "no hesitation" songs are in each bloc. I will target the blocs with the fewest "no hesitation" songs first. 

Bloc 376-400 was the weakest for me, with just 10 out of 25 songs in the "no hesitation" category. And there aren't many of those 10 that I feel really strongly about, so going with one that I did made sense. 

Lola is one of Ray Davies' best songs and its subject matter, about a guy who unwittingly picks up a transvestite, was revolutionary for 1970. Eephus will approve because it's from one of their non-Arista records. 😄

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemG0cvc4oU

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/0UAJH0k4k3slcE83a9UGCe?si=7b475b1bef4d46f5

Speaking of @Eephus, he is up. 

1.04 Lola -- The Kinks (#386, bloc 376-400)

My "strategy" is that I went through each bloc and identified songs that I would have no hesitation about drafting. Then I counted up how many "no hesitation" songs are in each bloc. I will target the blocs with the fewest "no hesitation" songs first. 

Bloc 376-400 was the weakest for me, with just 10 out of 25 songs in the "no hesitation" category. And there aren't many of those 10 that I feel really strongly about, so going with one that I did made sense. 

Lola is one of Ray Davies' best songs and its subject matter, about a guy who unwittingly picks up a transvestite, was revolutionary for 1970. Eephus will approve because it's from one of their non-Arista records. 😄

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemG0cvc4oU

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/0UAJH0k4k3slcE83a9UGCe?si=7b475b1bef4d46f5

Speaking of @Eephus, he is up. 
I love “Waterloo Sunset” but Lola is a better song. 

Round 1

#483 "I Can't Help Myself" - Four Tops

I don't really have a theme or strategy for this draft, other than "pick songs I love". 

This is one of those records that, when it starts, every listener starts tapping their feet or shimmying their shoulders or just smiles (or all three). The intro is like a Ball Of Good Momentum rolling down a mountain. The best Motown records of the '60s started at an incredibly high EQ and ratcheted it up from there.

Then, there's the singer. Out of all of the front-line Motown singers, Levi Stubbs was probably the most limited in vocal ability. I mean, he doesn't even belong in the same stratosphere with someone like Marvin Gaye or Stevie Wonder or Martha Reeves or David Ruffin. But what he was good at, he was REALLY good at. And that was these kind of mid-tempo (for Motown) pleas for love and being able to stomp on a beat with his voice - only James Brown did that better.

@Pip's Invitation be next, I believe
Obviously a wonderful song, great pick. 

And you’re right, Levi is terrific here. But IMO, his best vocals came later, as the Mean Green Mother from Outer Space. 

Rd 1

Song 447 Help by The Beatles

Trying a little strategy of finding weaker groupings. I also think this was the first non Greatest Hits Beatles CD I bought. 
I always associate this song with “Ticket to Ride”, “Paperback Writer”, “I Feel Fine”, and “Day Tripper”- the best of early mid Beatles, and, IMO, arguably the best of the Beatles, period. 
But that being said, I’m not sure that “Help” Is better than any of the songs I just listed. They’re all pretty damn great. 

I'm confused.  I can't see songs 1-25 or anything beyond 298 on the song list.  Am I unusually dense even for a Monday, or is something wrong here?

Fixed the spreadsheet. Someone had it filtered by fill colour for some reason
Suggestion: For those who like to play in spreadsheets ... treat the Google Sheet as the pristine raw data set. Updating records is fine -- but for things like heavy filtering/sorting, color coding, hiding columns/rows, etc. ... copy all the data out into your own spreadsheet somewhere.

Suggestion: For those who like to play in spreadsheets ... treat the Google Sheet as the pristine raw data set. Updating records is fine -- but for things like heavy filtering/sorting, color coding, hiding columns/rows, etc. ... copy all the data out into your own spreadsheet somewhere.
I added a couple extra sheets at the bottom for people to play around with. 

Wow. Excellent choice. I do believe this song is as least as good as any tune in the top 40 of this list and better than most of them. 
Contrarian time!

My very first chosen email address (and the one I met my wife with) was soulotis@aol.com.  I have the complete Otis box set (and both Stax box sets to boot).  And I'm not a huge fan of Dock of the Bay.  It's certainly a good song, but there are just so many Otis songs I like better, and I think it's status as his most known song is entirely down to it being the single they released posthumously.  Part of it is that production tricks like cutting in seagull cries are like nails on a chalkboard for me.  

None of which has anything to do with whether this is a good pick or not.  Any song you love is a great pick.  

Users who are viewing this thread