What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**NFC Divisional Round - Packers at Niners** (-10, 50.5) Kickoff Sat 8:15 (1 Viewer)

I just want an entertaining game and not a 40+ point *** kicking. Yeah I know "any given Sunday" and all that, but this game should be a romp.

Niners with a week off to rest. Yikes. Purdy about to do Purdy things.

35-17 Niners. Late game meaningless score by Packers. This game was over early.

Packers had the Niners number in the playoffs during the Favre years in the latter half of the 90s. Niners have pretty much owned the Packers in the playoffs since becoming relevant again in the 2010s. Anyone who makes it this far is dangerous and not to be taken lightly, but SF were in a tier of their own in the NFC this year and should win this game (and the one the next week against whoever).

Biggest concern is if the Niners come out slow having not played any meaningful football in three weeks. Hoping they were able to keep off the rust and can pick up where they left off in the regular season.

Packers had the Niners number in the playoffs during the Favre years in the latter half of the 90s. Niners have pretty much owned the Packers in the playoffs since becoming relevant again in the 2010s. Anyone who makes it this far is dangerous and not to be taken lightly, but SF were in a tier of their own in the NFC this year and should win this game (and the one the next week against whoever).

Biggest concern is if the Niners come out slow having not played any meaningful football in three weeks. Hoping they were able to keep off the rust and can pick up where they left off in the regular season.
Saw this posted somewhere else but Favre couldn't beat the Cowboys in the playoffs and Rodgers couldn't beat the 49ers in the playoffs. Love has a chance to be beat both these teams in his 1st year as a starter.

I hope people continue to dismiss the Packers chances just like they did against Dallas, This team is playing loose and energic football right now and it's fun to watch. 49ers are a better team than the Cowboys but are not without faults. Love can carve this secondary up if the oline plays as well as they did this past weekend. To me it's about Barry's defense not giving up chunk plays like they've done most of the season (big ask I know). Love continues his lights out play, the defense makes just enough plays and the Packers pull it out at the end. Packers 35 49ers 31.

For me it was so much fun watching what The Packers did to America's Former Team this past weekend.
It gets tougher for The Pack this week.
The Niners are experienced and playing with a chip on their shoulder.
I'm sure they would have loved to see The Eagles come to town at some point,but those pretenders melted in Tampa.
The Niners won't play with the "deer in the headlights" look The Boyz had...

San Francisco Forty Niners- 37
Green Bay Packers- 23

Saw this posted somewhere else but Favre couldn't beat the Cowboys in the playoffs and Rodgers couldn't beat the 49ers in the playoffs. Love has a chance to be beat both these teams in his 1st year as a starter.

I hope people continue to dismiss the Packers chances just like they did against Dallas, This team is playing loose and energic football right now and it's fun to watch. 49ers are a better team than the Cowboys but are not without faults. Love can carve this secondary up if the oline plays as well as they did this past weekend. To me it's about Barry's defense not giving up chunk plays like they've done most of the season (big ask I know). Love continues his lights out play, the defense makes just enough plays and the Packers pull it out at the end. Packers 35 49ers 31.
That would be the most points SF has given up this year. I don’t remember the last time I saw a WR that open against them in a game, let alone multiple instances. I’d be shocked if that happened on Saturday. That Cowboys team, for as talented as they are, has a history of underperforming in the playoffs for whatever reason.

Green Bay is a good young team. Not their time to make it to the NFC Championship game yet. Think I heard this is a record 10th meeting? Should be an entertaining game.

SF 30
GB 20

The Niners may be unbeatable coming out of a bye, as demonstrated by their 5- and 6-game winning streak this season. All their starters are healthy. They savaged six playoff caliber teams, two of which, the Eagles and Jaguars, were handed historically lopsided home losses from which they never recovered. They are the most physical team in the NFL, along with the Ravens, and have the combination of a top five ranked defense and rushing attack that wins playoff games and can blow out teams in the second half after wearing down their opponent.

GB is a good team, or else they wouldn’t be here. But to have any chance, they need to get at least a 2+ turnover differential and maybe even three if the Niners get back to back drives to end the 2nd and start the 3rd quarter.

I’m calling SF 38 GB20 with some of those GB points during garbage time.

Love and company are a good, young, up and coming team, but the 49ers coming off rest have been lethal this season.

In games where theyre favored by 10 or more this season, SF is 6-0 straight up and 4-2 against the spread. Theyve been dominant when heavily favored.

Green Bay has given up 200 yards rushing 4 times this season, and soon-to-be-named OPOY CMC is licking his chops watching tape of Green Bays average to below average defense.

Shanahan runs the ball all day and San Fran cruises to a double digit win.

Love and company are a good, young, up and coming team, but the 49ers coming off rest have been lethal this season.

In games where theyre favored by 10 or more this season, SF is 6-0 straight up and 4-2 against the spread. Theyve been dominant when heavily favored.

Green Bay has given up 200 yards rushing 4 times this season, and soon-to-be-named OPOY CMC is licking his chops watching tape of Green Bays average to below average defense.

Shanahan runs the ball all day and San Fran cruises to a double digit win.
100% agree. Sad but true as a Packer fan.

The Packers' defense is #27 DVOA defending the middle of the field. That's worse than the Eagles (#26), Cowboys (#24) and Seahawks (#23).

The 49ers attacked and exploited the middle against all 3 of those teams. Look for that to continue Saturday.

SF were in a tier of their own in the NFC this year and should win this game (and the one the next week against whoever).
Love continues his lights out play, the defense makes just enough plays and the Packers pull it out at the end. Packers 35 49ers 31.
That would be the most points SF has given up this year.
The Packers also haven't scored more than 33 in a game since week 1. They're not putting up 30+ against the 49ers.

I love it. Keep on doubting people. GB has no chance I guess.
Any given Sunday and all that, but SF is just a better team, have shown after rest they're practically unbeatable, while the Packers are coming off a huge emotional win and have to travel cross country on a short week to play one of the best defenses they've faced all season as well as the best offense they've seen all season.

Sure, the 49ers could come out flat but after knocking on the door 3 of the last 4 years, I just don't see them crapping the bed in their first playoff game since the gut wrenching loss in last year's NFCCG.

Short of an early Purdy injury, I don't see how GB has a chance in this one. Easily least exciting game of the weekend, one I won't be watching.

DVOA gives the Niners a 73% chance of winning, Vegas closer to 83%. That's pretty high. Not sure how high it has be for it to be the lock people are claiming.

I love it. Keep on doubting people. GB has no chance I guess.
I think the Packers are getting an appropriate amount of respect. They’ve played really well and completely demolished Dallas. But San Francisco is a muuuuch better team than Dallas was, and I think it’s appropriate to recognize that as well. Could the Packers win? Of course. But they probably won’t. They’re the 1 and 7 seeds for a reason.

Packers…..well I heard they might not even bother flying to Cali since the game is over before it starts.
I haven't seen a good argument yet why or how the Packers can or will win. All I've heard is that Love has been playing lights out lately, and thats great, but its not enough of a reason IMO. How is GBs defense gonna shut down CMC and Purdy? GBs defense has been ranked bottom 3rd all year.

Does Green Bay take the ball away? They're even in turnover differential while SF is tied for 3rd best at +10. Green Bay has 7 INTs on the season, only the Titans had fewer picks. 49ers have 22 INTs, most in the NFL.

Do they get after the QB? Green Bay's pressure rate this season ranked #14 and it's been slightly worse since the mid-point of the season.

Im not saying the Packers CANT win, just that they WONT win.

:shrug:

Last edited:
Packers…..well I heard they might not even bother flying to Cali since the game is over before it starts.
I haven't seen a good argument yet why or how the Packers can or will win. All I've heard is that Love has been playing lights out lately, and thats great, but its not enough of a reason IMO. How is GBs defense gonna shut down CMC and Purdy? GBs defense has been ranked bottom 3rd all year.

Does Green Bay take the ball away? They're even in turnover differential while SF is tied for 3rd best at +10. Green Bay has 7 INTs on the season, only the Titans had fewer picks. 49ers have 22 INTs, most in the NFL.

Do they get after the QB? Green Bay's pressure rate this season ranked #14 and it's been slightly worse since the mid-point of the season.

I don’t disagree. It’s just interesting how confident folks are. Maybe I’m just jaded from being a Packer fan for this long, but I’ve never been as confident about a Packer playoff game as folks are about this game.

Link

Quarterback Grades vs. Blitz, since Week 10 (PFF):
#2 Jordan Love
#3 Brock Purdy

Quarterback Grades vs. Pressure, since Week 10 (PFF):
#1 Brock Purdy
#3 Jordan Love

Both QBs are playing high level football. Difference on Saturday will be the level of defense each will play.

In terms of moneyline betting, looks like early on, the public is taking the Niners 80/20, but the money % (sharp bettors) is more like 65/35 in favor of GB.

For the point spread,public is 60/40 Green Bay, money 50/50.

This is not the matchup for GB. Much respect to their season and win last week but this SF team is on another level from the other NFC teams.

The Packers defense played a lot better last week than any game i've watched this year. I don't know how much of that is the Cowboys played terrible, Packers defense played great, or a little bit of both. If that same defense shows up this week in San Fran, I think the Packers can keep it close early while San Fran is shaking off the rust sitting 2 weeks in a row. 2nd half they start to pull away and cover the spread. I feel like the public is high on Green Bay right now after the win last week, but that is right where Vegas wants you so they can chop you right back down to reality.

49ers: 35
Packers: 20

I don’t disagree. It’s just interesting how confident folks are. Maybe I’m just jaded from being a Packer fan for this long, but I’ve never been as confident about a Packer playoff game as folks are about this game.
This. Yes the 49ers are clearly the better team and should win this game but that fact that so many people are dismissing the Packers chances is funny to me. Cowboys had a top 5 offense and defense and the Packers completely dismantled them. Cowboys were almost unbeatable at home and the Pack almost put up 50 on them. Yes the 49ers are clearly better than the Cowboys but if the Packers can keep up this momentum they have more than a punchers chance. Everyone knows by now they are the youngest team in football so maybe they are just putting it all together at the right time. If Love continues to play lights out and Purdy puts up a game like he did against the Vikings who knows maybe the Packers can shock the NFL world.

This. Yes the 49ers are clearly the better team and should win this game but that fact that so many people are dismissing the Packers chances is funny to me. Cowboys had a top 5 offense and defense and the Packers completely dismantled them. Cowboys were almost unbeatable at home and the Pack almost put up 50 on them. Yes the 49ers are clearly better than the Cowboys but if the Packers can keep up this momentum they have more than a punchers chance. Everyone knows by now they are the youngest team in football so maybe they are just putting it all together at the right time. If Love continues to play lights out and Purdy puts up a game like he did against the Vikings who knows maybe the Packers can shock the NFL world.

If the beginning of the game resembles the Cowboy game just a little then game on. So, if GB carves up the SF D and takes a quick lead, this can be a fun one. Purdy is good, but he does throw "interceptable" balls and has dodged a lot of bullets for some reason. A quick GB lead then maybe a 9er turnover, and SF will be in a fight. This isn't Dallas though. This is Shanahan, McCaffrey, Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle. I think SF wins regardless, but a game script with the youngest team getting early momentum and confidence, and the 5th oldest team feeling some pressure? I'd love that.

Crazy fact:

Since Purdy took over as starter last season, the only game the 49ers have lost when both Trent Williams and Purdy have played 2+ quarters was the Baltimore game week 16 this (where I believe Shanahan called a terrible game trying to get Purdy MVP votes).

Every other loss was without Williams (weeks 6-8 and week 18) or without Purdy (last years NFCCG and week 18).

Packers playing with house money. SF is a class above but in the last 2 months I’m not sure it’s as wide as some think.

SF 30
GB 27

Packers DL Devonte Wyatt on Brock Purdy: "When D-linemen just get pressure into him, he’s always throwing off or it’s behind them or it’s overthrown or short ... when you get pressure on him, it’s a guarantee we’ll get a turnover."

Does he even watch film? Purdy led NFL this season in passer rating when pressured.

Keep talking, Pack. Keep talking.

that fact that so many people are dismissing the Packers chances is funny to me.

who's doing this? i haven't seen anyone say this. most people are picking the 49ers to win because that's what people do, they pick the favorite to win. the 49ers are favored in this game, and for good reason. i haven't seen anyone say the packers don't have a chance.

who's doing this? i haven't seen anyone say this. most people are picking the 49ers to win because that's what people do, they pick the favorite to win. the 49ers are favored in this game, and for good reason. i haven't seen anyone say the packers don't have a chance.
Niners with a week off to rest. Yikes. Purdy about to do Purdy things.

35-17 Niners. Late game meaningless score by Packers. This game was over early.

The Niners may be unbeatable coming out of a bye, as demonstrated by their 5- and 6-game winning streak this season. All their starters are healthy. They savaged six playoff caliber teams, two of which, the Eagles and Jaguars, were handed historically lopsided home losses from which they never recovered. They are the most physical team in the NFL, along with the Ravens, and have the combination of a top five ranked defense and rushing attack that wins playoff games and can blow out teams in the second half after wearing down their opponent.

GB is a good team, or else they wouldn’t be here. But to have any chance, they need to get at least a 2+ turnover differential and maybe even three if the Niners get back to back drives to end the 2nd and start the 3rd quarter.

I’m calling SF 38 GB20 with some of those GB points during garbage time.

Short of an early Purdy injury, I don't see how GB has a chance in this one. Easily least exciting game of the weekend, one I won't be watching.
I get it 49ers are a much better team but I think the Pack can keep it close. Of course I'm a homer so I could be completely wrong here.

I appreciate the efforts but it seems really hard to try to drum up some drama about this game. The fact is the Packers and their fans are shocked to still be playing football given the expectations and challenges this season, while it seems for San Francisco it would be a massive failure not to at least reach the NFCCC after the season they've had. For SF, it has to be a dream to be in the NFC final four with the Packers, Bucs and Lions. It must feel like a red carpet was rolled out to the superbowl. I'm sure the players on both sides are being professional and no one is taking anyone lightly or making any assumptions. I'm sure the Packers are playing to win and not just happy to be there. But if someone had predicted this set up for SF and GB a month or so ago it would not have been taken seriously.

My guess is the 49'ers win this game but I hope the Packers make a game of it and cover that huge spread. I'm old enough to remember that game in the 90's a season or two before Favre's first superbowl when the Packers went into SF as huge underdogs and came away with a win. Craig Newsome scooped a fumble and scored on SF's first play from scrimmage of the game and they never looked back. The Packers lost in Dallas a week later, which I think might have been the last time Dallas played in a Superbowl.

The Packers kicked the Cowboys *** all over Dallas. Badly. They were resting their players until they had to put them back in because everybody stopped playing, really.

I see this one as closer than others might. No back door cover. But I love underdogs. I think Green Bay can win this game. If they could keep Parsons and company off of Love, they can do the same with the lesser Bosa and Young. Still can't pick Green Bay, but it's a tight one, which would be tighter if Green Bay's kicker wasn't missing field goals (he'll miss one or two crucial ones). Fred Warner owns the middle here, though, and instead of an upset you've got

SF 30
GB 24

I know that football is always gonna football. I know they just murdered the Cowboys. I know they peaked at the perfect time and are playing great football. Having said all that. I just see the Niners crushing them. They jump up early. Hold a big lead. Game is never in doubt. All my opinion.

Former Packer Mark Chmura advocating a late hit on Purdy.

"I dont condone this...but I kinda do...a 15 yard penalty for a late hit on Brock Purdy is not a bad thing as long as it's worth it"

Stay classy, Green Bay media.

Well first off...not sure Id call him media all that much despite the radio show. He is pretty out there.
Second, his full comments were more about sending a message and some taking it way too far as if he was advocating for hurting the guy which is just not true.

Still dumb to say for sure.

Former Packer Mark Chmura advocating a late hit on Purdy.

"I dont condone this...but I kinda do...a 15 yard penalty for a late hit on Brock Purdy is not a bad thing as long as it's worth it"

Stay classy, Green Bay media.

Well first off...not sure Id call him media all that much despite the radio show. He is pretty out there.
Second, his full comments were more about sending a message and some taking it way too far as if he was advocating for hurting the guy which is just not true.

Still dumb to say for sure.
He should stick to his hot tub sales job

Users who are viewing this thread