What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NY Giants at Washington (2 Viewers)

Garçon ever get caught point shaving back in college?
His act is wearing thin....he sucked tonight and looked like a baby doing it.....he should do the thumb pointing to his name on the back thing after some of those drops like he does when he gets a TD

Just saw this quote from Shanny on Twitter...

Shanahan on that last sequence: "Well, I said I wanted a measurement and he said, 'You don't have to, it's a first down.'"
Exactly so why are people pretending there this is a scandal.

It was 1st down ... if it was a bad call it went in the Skins favor and they blew it anyway.

His act is wearing thin....he sucked tonight and looked like a baby doing it.....he should do the thumb pointing to his name on the back thing after some of those drops like he does when he gets a TD
Yeah, he's quickly becoming one of my least favorite players. If not already there.
Skins are already sporting a number of the biggest Dbags in the league: Moss, Hall and Williams. If Garçon gets up there, they'll need another defender to even it out. But I guess WRs shouldn't count since so many of them are dbags anyway.

I really can't believe how horrible the officials are this year and tonight was by far the worst. And I'm a Giants fan. Triplette needs to be fired for that.

Not following this made up scandal at all.

Whats the difference if it was 1st down or 4th down? Garcon fumbled either way.
The play calling and urgency to move the ball a certain distance.

Are you serious you dont know how this affected the game?
It was called a 1st down ... are the skins going to argue that it was not?

If it was a bad call ... it went in their favor.

Shanahan on that last sequence: "Well, I said I wanted a measurement and he said, 'You don't have to, it's a first down.'"

It was 1st down ... if it was a bad call it went in the Skins favor and they blew it anyway.
I edited an earlier post to you earlier, and it probably was lost in the shuffle. Here's why:

Probably wouldn't have been a long pass if it was 3rd and inches. It doesn't excuse the fumble from Garcon, but chances are that exact pass never happens only needing a short sideline pass the play before.

Also, if the play's called correctly, the clock stops for a measurement and Shanny can have the team lined up for a quick QB sneak without losing much time at all. Clock stops again after the sneak for a few seconds while the officials clear the pile, find the ball and reset it for the first down, Shanny has the next play already called and it's run.

Easy first down with hardly any time lost. IF the officials had called it correctly.

:pokey:

How did it go in the Skins favor and how did they blow it? I thought the announcers spent a bit too much time on it since the Skins got the first down with Garcon's catch but it certainly was a bad call that didn't help the Skins. Worst case, its 3 and short and they can go for an easy play not a bomb.

While I don't think the call cost them the game, it was a pretty pathetic display for the NFL especially for a prime time game.

How did it go in the Skins favor and how did they blow it? I thought the announcers spent a bit too much time on it since the Skins got the first down with Garcon's catch but it certainly was a bad call that didn't help the Skins. Worst case, its 3 and short and they can go for an easy play not a bomb.

While I don't think the call cost them the game, it was a pretty pathetic display for the NFL especially for a prime time game.
Trailing by a td with 1:37 left

Would you rather be in a 1st and 10 or 3rd and 1?

It was called a 1st down ... are the skins going to argue that it was not?If it was a bad call ... it went in their favor.
:lmao: JFC watch the game next time

It was called a 1st down ... are the skins going to argue that it was not?If it was a bad call ... it went in their favor.
wut? it was called first by one guy but the ref called third.skins thought they had a first when they really didnt...

Last edited by a moderator:

If you were seriously confused, I'd try to help. But I think you're just arguing to argue. I give up. :shrug:

I edited an earlier post to you earlier, and it probably was lost in the shuffle. Here's why:

Probably wouldn't have been a long pass if it was 3rd and inches. It doesn't excuse the fumble from Garcon, but chances are that exact pass never happens only needing a short sideline pass the play before.

Also, if the play's called correctly, the clock stops for a measurement and Shanny can have the team lined up for a quick QB sneak without losing much time at all. Clock stops again after the sneak for a few seconds while the officials clear the pile, find the ball and reset it for the first down, Shanny has the next play already called and it's run.

Easy first down with hardly any time lost. IF the officials had called it correctly.
There was plenty of time left in the game ... and there is no guarantee that they get the 1st down on a QB sneak.

There was plenty of time left in the game ... and there is no guarantee that they get the 1st down on a QB sneak.
Ok. So nothing's guaranteed in football. Got it.

Now back to what happened - play calling is probably different if it's 3rd and inches. See my QB sneak scenario above. I think you might be trolling or very confused about how football works.

Either way, have a good night buddy. :D

wut? it was called first by one guy but the ref called third.skins thought they had a first when they really didnt...
Right ... and they completed a pass for 6 yards that was stripped from the receiver regardless of what down it was.

Skins fans have to stop the crying ... this play had 0 impact on the game

Now back to what happened - play calling is probably different if it's 3rd and inches. See my QB sneak scenario above. I think you might be trolling or very confused about how football works.

If they measured and still called it a 1st down? We are back to the same result.

If they call it 3rd and 1 and Griffin Fumbles on the sneak ...redskin fans are #####in that it should have been a 1st down

If they measured and still called it a 1st down? We are back to the same result.

If they call it 3rd and 1 and Griffin Fumbles on the sneak ...redskin fans are #####in that it should have been a 1st down
Sorry, you are definitely wrong here. :(

So can I ask a question. If I don't convert the 1st and 10, do the refs magically call it 4th and 1? At that point, I'd much rather the refs just keep it at 3rd and 1 b/c then I get 2 chances to pick up the necessary yard. Instead, the Redskins went for a bomb on first down (as most teams do) came up short and wasted a down.

It might not have had a huge impact on the game but it definitely looked like amateur hour having the chain crew running back and forth.

Mike Pereira said the Referee who signaled first down is the ONE that screwed it up. The Referee is the ONLY ONE that can signal first down, and he didn't.

Right ... and they completed a pass for 6 yards that was stripped from the receiver regardless of what down it was.

Yes down and distance has nothing to do with every aspect of football. lol Are you so sure the play call wouldnt of been different with a defferent down and distance, they ran a 5 yard out on 4th to get the 1st. simple simple stuff really.

The fact you are letting your excitement/anger (Cant tell which one) get in the way of reality does not make it so.

My head hurts now.

Is it really possible for a guy or gal who watches football to really assume the officials calling it a first down when it wasnt is not a big deal in the last drive of a game with the team down 7? I must give people too much credit, because someone does.

To be honest the "French Dudes" fumbles has nothing to do with if the call was correct or not.

Exactly so why are people pretending there this is a scandal.It was 1st down ... if it was a bad call it went in the Skins favor and they blew it anyway.
:pokey: How did it go in the Skins favor and how did they blow it? I thought the announcers spent a bit too much time on it since the Skins got the first down with Garcon's catch but it certainly was a bad call that didn't help the Skins. Worst case, its 3 and short and they can go for an easy play not a bomb.

Trailing by a td with 1:37 left Would you rather be in a 1st and 10 or 3rd and 1?
Yeah, but they went from 1st and 10 back to 4th and 1. No team would call that a benefit.

Exactly so why are people pretending there this is a scandal.It was 1st down ... if it was a bad call it went in the Skins favor and they blew it anyway.
:pokey: How did it go in the Skins favor and how did they blow it? I thought the announcers spent a bit too much time on it since the Skins got the first down with Garcon's catch but it certainly was a bad call that didn't help the Skins. Worst case, its 3 and short and they can go for an easy play not a bomb.

Trailing by a td with 1:37 left Would you rather be in a 1st and 10 or 3rd and 1?
Yeah, but they went from 1st and 10 back to 4th and 1. No team would call that a benefit.
1st and 10, was this a serious question? Man it really looks like you are trying to convince yourself that the blunder is ok, many already seem to clearly understand it.

We signaled third down on the field, Triplette said, via the transcript circulated by the Redskins. The stakes were moved incorrectly. After that play, we said it was still third down. We had signaled third down prior to the play starting. The stakes just got moved incorrectly.

No big deal. The stakes got moved incorrectly. You know, the stakes everyone relies on when determining down and distance. The same stakes that then had to be clumsily repositioned one play later.

It gets worse. Triplette said he didnt call a time out to fix the obvious blunder because stopping the clock would have helped Washington too much.

[T]here are no timeouts in this situation, Triplette said. We just didnt shut it down in that situation because that would have given an unfair advantage.

So instead of giving a potential unfair advantage to Washington, Triplette gave the home team a clear unfair disadvantage, by leading everyone falsely to believe that a first down had been gained, via the giant orange stakes shuttling down the sideline.
To me, this seals it for Triplette. If he still has a job next season, it's an absolute disgrace. He's basically saying he's unable to make the correct judgment on the field in a critical juncture. His instinct was dead wrong here. You take the time to get it right if that's what it takes, whether that gives a team an advantage or not. And that happens pretty frequently in the NFL, stoppages of play while the zebras talk things over. Maybe they appear clueless in the moment, but if they get the down/distance/clock/penalty or whatever sorted out in the end, it's forgotten.Whether this affected the final outcome is unknowable and really beside the point. It certainly affected the flow of the game and the play calling at the most critical juncture in the game. Maybe at 3rd and inches they call a run play or a QB sneak, maybe there's a fumble, or a penalty, or a sack, or a million other possible outcomes. We'll never know. But it's an inexcusable mistake regardless and you can't blame the skins and their fans for feeling like they got royally screwed.

ffldrew said:
Jeff Tripplett of course is involved
That guy absolutely sucks. Always looks confused on the field. Should be fired immediately and forced to take a job answering ACA phone calls.

ffldrew said:
Jeff Tripplett of course is involved
That guy absolutely sucks. Always looks confused on the field. Should be fired immediately and forced to take a job answering ACA phone calls.
At the very least I hope he's only calling meaningless games for the rest of the season. Could you imagine the outrage if tonight's game ended like last night's?

Phenix said:
mad sweeney said:
monk said:
sporthenry said:
monk said:
Phenix said:

1st and 10, was this a serious question? Man it really looks like you are trying to convince yourself that the blunder is ok, many already seem to clearly understand it.
Not arguing that the refs didn't F'up and look like idiots but the F'up had nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

Skins were looking at 1st and 10 with 1:30 left if Garcon doesn't get stripped

mad sweeney said:
Hoss Style said:
Houston turmOiler said:
Steed said:
Yeah, he's quickly becoming one of my least favorite players. If not already there.
Skins are already sporting a number of the biggest Dbags in the league: Moss, Hall and Williams. If Garçon gets up there, they'll need another defender to even it out. But I guess WRs shouldn't count since so many of them are dbags anyway.
Brandon Merriweather.

Garcon actually isn't so bad. I agree, really bad all around spotlight on him last night, but for the most-part, I don't recall anything terrible about him. To me he just looked like a guy that is extremely frustrated after having some pretty decent expectations for the year. No worse than what you read on these boards from us about our poor pitiful fnatasy teams every single day.

Phenix said:
mad sweeney said:
monk said:
sporthenry said:
monk said:
Phenix said:

Not arguing that the refs didn't F'up and look like idiots but the F'up had nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

One could argue that had the F'up not occurred, then the Garcon play would have never happened. The 20+ yard pass play attempt that happened right before was a result of Redskins thinking it was 1st down and the following play to Garcon occurred only when they found out it was now 4th down. So to say it had nothing to do with the result of the game is insanity.

That being said, I am one that always believes that if you what you're supposed to do than a bad call by a ref should not impact you. Thus, had the Redskins handled their business before that last drive...it really wouldn't have mattered.

monk said:
belljr said:
monk said:
Phenix said:
monk said:

There is absolutely no way you know if that is true or not. I am not a Giants or Skins fan so I am speaking completely unbiased when I say this:

The only thing we KNOW for certain is that the officials made a bad call and, like most plays in the NFL, once it is done, it should be left alone. In some ways, this is like scoring a TD and kicking the extra point and then kicking off and then seeing the officials took the 7 off the board.

Everything else is speculation but we know from watching alot of football that its probably very unlikely the next play becomes a 20 yard pass down the center of the field had the clock been stopped and the team had a 3rd and inches.

And from that point, who knows what would happen? How many times have we seen in a game, late in the 4th quarter, a team tries to salt away a game or get a first down and the short yardage play ends up being a bootleg or a bust up the middle and then suddenly a 1 yard play becomes a huge run to the endzone?

We know there was a mistake by the officials and it could have made the difference in who won that game. And that, trickling on down, could be the difference in how fantasy games played out (what we are interested in here, primarily). Maybe Morris breaks that short conversion and takes it to the house. Maybe RG III bootlegs a play to do the same. Maybe one of the WRs catches one. Maybe the game goes to OT and ELi tosses a 80 yard TD to Cruz on the first play of OT. Maybe this injury, maybe that team packs it in next week, and on and on..

So many "What Ifs" that are legitimate "what ifs" on a horrendous and unexcuseable call. I'm not going to focus on myself or other people who might whine about those "what ifs" but it is very disappointing to see the officials possibly effect the outcome by making such an error.

Phenix said:
mad sweeney said:
monk said:
sporthenry said:
monk said:
Phenix said:

One could argue that had the F'up not occurred, then the Garcon play would have never happened. The 20+ yard pass play attempt that happened right before was a result of Redskins thinking it was 1st down and the following play to Garcon occurred only when they found out it was now 4th down. So to say it had nothing to do with the result of the game is insanity.

That being said, I am one that always believes that if you what you're supposed to do than a bad call by a ref should not impact you. Thus, had the Redskins handled their business before that last drive...it really wouldn't have mattered.
All you say is true but maybe what "you're supposed to do", had the bad call not occurred, ends up being RG III fake the QB sneak and bootlegs out and runs to the End zone and the Redskins tie the game and none of these other things occur.

TOns of "ifs" and "thens", for sure, but the one and only issue here is the mistake by the refs and it can't be ignored there was a negative impact.

Phenix said:
mad sweeney said:
monk said:
sporthenry said:
monk said:
Phenix said:

Not arguing that the refs didn't F'up and look like idiots but the F'up had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. Skins were looking at 1st and 10 with 1:30 left if Garcon doesn't get stripped

Brady said the same thing after the Panther game because he's a professional and Belichick trained him well. But it's complete and utter horse #### and he knew it at the time and was being gracious because it's what is expected. There is a lot of parity in today's NFL, and a lot of games come down to one play. It happens every week. Therefore there is less margin for error for everyone on the field including the refs. It sucks when two teams play their hearts out for 3 hours only to have a bad call decide the outcome. It very likely happened in the Pats game and possibly last night as well. We'll never know, but it's inexcusable either way.

How many points would the Redskins have won by if they just deactivated Garcon? That dude did his best to lose the game for his team in about 20 different ways.

Worst Enthusiasm: Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth kept trying to convince each other that the close score meant this was actually a good and compelling football product. It was not. This was mom and dad, taking the family to Arby’s when the oven explodes on Thanksgiving, and trying to convince each other that this was actually better than being at home. Look how nice those posters are on the wall! See how juicy this beef stuff is!
:lmao:

Phenix said:
mad sweeney said:
monk said:
sporthenry said:
monk said:
Phenix said:

Had the Redskins handled their business after the Bad Call it wouldn't mattered !!!!!!!! They had already overcome the bad call!!!!!! They got a 1st Down and the call was a thing of the past!!!!!!! Then they fumbled !!!!!!!!! Get Over It!!!!1

If Garcon had been called for Unsportsmanlike Conduct for kicking the ball out of the end zone (Like he should have been) ... They may not have kicked a field goal !!! But he wasn't !!!!!! and they did!!!!

You could probably find 10 other bad calls and non calls that had more impact on that game then "The Bad Call"

the F'up had nothing to do with the outcome of the game.
Of course it did. The Redskins still might have lost anyway, but you don't know that.
Exactly.

Everybody saying that Garcon "got the 1st anyway, then lost it." is just hypothesizing. Frankly, any projection beyond that play would be impossible to truly lay out (see Chaos Theory)

The point to be made is that referees clearly made a call for 1st down, then reversed it AFTER a subsequent play had been made. Regardless of the result of either play, that's unequivocally wrong. Just like with instant replay, once the subsequent play is run, the past is the past, right, wrong, or indifferent.

Phenix said:
mad sweeney said:
monk said:
sporthenry said:
monk said:
Phenix said:

All you say is true but maybe what "you're supposed to do", had the bad call not occurred, ends up being RG III fake the QB sneak and bootlegs out and runs to the End zone and the Redskins tie the game and none of these other things occur.

TOns of "ifs" and "thens", for sure, but the one and only issue here is the mistake by the refs and it can't be ignored there was a negative impact.
Or RGIII bootlegs out, runs out of bounds and slips on the wet tarp and tears his other knee up and the skins still lose. So maybe the impact of the call wasn't so bad after all

Phenix said:
mad sweeney said:
monk said:
sporthenry said:
monk said:
Phenix said:

Had the Redskins handled their business after the Bad Call it wouldn't mattered !!!!!!!! They had already overcome the bad call!!!!!! They got a 1st Down and the call was a thing of the past!!!!!!! Then they fumbled !!!!!!!!! Get Over It!!!!1

If Garcon had been called for Unsportsmanlike Conduct for kicking the ball out of the end zone (Like he should have been) ... They may not have kicked a field goal !!! But he wasn't !!!!!! and they did!!!!

You could probably find 10 other bad calls and non calls that had more impact on that game then "The Bad Call"
LOL @ "get over it." The point is the play to Garcon, where he was stripped of the ball, would not have been called had it not been for the F'up bad call by the refs. Seeing how reading is not fundamental for you, I'll point out that my post stated had they (Redskins) done what they were supposed to do before that time...as in earlier in the game, then a bad call wouldn't have mattered. Redskins caved in during the second half of the game. They did themselves absolutely no favors, that is on them and nobody else.

Phenix said:
mad sweeney said:
monk said:
sporthenry said:
monk said:
Phenix said:

Or RGIII bootlegs out, runs out of bounds and slips on the wet tarp and tears his other knee up and the skins still lose. So maybe the impact of the call wasn't so bad after all
Maybe so but that IS the point; that what we know is it was a bad call and everything after that is guesswork. What we saw after the bad call is the result of that, not the result of had the call been made correctly.

Phenix said:
mad sweeney said:
monk said:
sporthenry said:
monk said:
Phenix said:

I'm asking (don't know for certain), why was that call a delay instead of unsportsmanlike? Is the conduct foul a result of a possible safety to player infraction and the delay just literally something that doesn't have a chance to hurt a player and is just a delay?

More!!! Exclamation!!! Points!!! Please!!! Get over it? Why talk football right? You seem to be upset about it.

Plus, This play clearly had an impact if the league had to address it.

Phenix said:
mad sweeney said:
monk said:
sporthenry said:
monk said:
Phenix said:

This is terrible.

More!!! Exclamation!!! Points!!! Please!!! Get over it? Why talk football right? You seem to be upset about it.

Plus, This play clearly had an impact if the league had to address it.
It was a bad call and it needs to be addressed ... fortunately it had no obvious effect on the outcome of the game.

Phenix said:
mad sweeney said:
monk said:
sporthenry said:
monk said:
Phenix said:

I'm asking (don't know for certain), why was that call a delay instead of unsportsmanlike? Is the conduct foul a result of a possible safety to player infraction and the delay just literally something that doesn't have a chance to hurt a player and is just a delay?
Depends on his intention. He had no reason to intentionally delay the game ... he was obviously just being a #### because he was pissed off.

League acknowledges Triplette screwed up. Discipline is possible after he is graded for the game.

With 2:00 remaining in the fourth quarter of Sunday night's game between the New York Giants and Washington Redskins, Washington faced a second-and-5 from its own 41-yard line with no timeouts remaining. Quarterback Robert Griffin III completed a pass to wide receiver Pierre Garcon for four yards. The ball was correctly spotted shy of the Washington 46, bringing up third down," Blandino said in the statement.

Referee Jeff Triplette signaled third down but the head linesman -- with Washington in a 'hurry-up' situation -- incorrectly motioned for the chain crew to advance the chains, which caused the down boxes to read first down.

Following a Washington incomplete pass, the chains were moved back and the down boxes correctly reset to fourth down.

In this situation where there is obvious confusion as to the status of the down, play should have been stopped prior to third down and the correct down communicated to both clubs. This should have occurred regardless of the fact that Washington had no timeouts and it was inside two minutes.

Only the referee can rule and signal a first down. The official nearest to the down markers and chain crew, the head linesman, must wait for the first down signal from the referee before moving the chains.

Instant Replay did not become involved in this situation because the replay official determined that the ball on Garcon's catch was correctly spotted short of the line to gain for a first down."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000291662/article/nfl-play-should-have-been-stopped-in-redskinsgiants

Redskin fan here.

Yes, the refs screwed it up.

But if our receivers didn't drop so many passes the last couple drives, we would have had a much better chance to win without any ref mistakes.

mad sweeney said:
Houston turmOiler said:
Just wait guys, we get Jacksonville and Houston too in a few short days. Thank goodness for the Saints/Seahawks tomorrow
Watch, the Hou-Jax game will be a better game than the MNF clunker. I thought their games today were pretty exciting and close.
I can't see it being any worse.

Users who are viewing this thread