What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

Where do you have him rank in rookie draft ?

I have the second pick and I might go after him (Before Gordon) if Gurley is taken at #1 .

I love him, but he is pretty much off my radar since I live in Detroit and have a couple big time homers in the league. I wonder how high I would have to reach to get him. If he flashes anything in preseason, it might be 4th round. It sucks because he is falling pretty far in mocks. I love everything I am hearing. Hopefully he can provide the offense with what Jahvid Best was before his career ended.
dynasty, I took him 1.06 but that was back in May. Depending on your format, he's a top 4 pick (ahead of White) IMO if you can start 3 RBs.

Don't think I'd take him over Gordon but it's entirely possible that he's worth it. Heck, he could outplay Gurley.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love him, but he is pretty much off my radar since I live in Detroit and have a couple big time homers in the league. I wonder how high I would have to reach to get him. If he flashes anything in preseason, it might be 4th round. It sucks because he is falling pretty far in mocks. I love everything I am hearing. Hopefully he can provide the offense with what Jahvid Best was before his career ended.
What mocks are you using? Fantasy Football calculator, he goes in the 5th of 12 team PPR drafts. The other mocks like Yahoo he goes later.
Fantasy Pros which I believe averages all the major sites together has him in the late 7th for standard.
That's going to up at least two rounds after a few preseason games.
Fantasypros you are probably looking at a general list that doesn't reflect recent drafts and it also includes Yahoo/ESPN, etc. In the high stake contests he gets drafted in the 5th. You can look at high stakes recent drafts and it will show that Ameer goes in the 5th. I believe this is due to the competition level. A player like Ameer or Charles Johnson get drafted earlier in high stake contests because the managers are better are recognizing his potential value. It can also be because people take more risks in tournaments because they are playing to try to win a big prize instead of the normal places in a league.
My big money local league is definitely more of a ESPN/Yahoo mindset than anything else.

FUBAR said:
Ilov80s said:
dynasty, I took him 1.06 but that was back in May. Depending on your format, he's a top 4 pick (ahead of White) IMO if you can start 3 RBs.

Don't think I'd take him over Gordon but it's entirely possible that he's worth it. Heck, he could outplay Gurley.
Good posting. I had been happy just sitting at 1.6, thinking getting Abdullah was a sure thing. Now I am thinking I might have to try to move up if I want to draft him.

FUBAR said:
Ilov80s said:

Good posting. I had been happy just sitting at 1.6, thinking getting Abdullah was a sure thing. Now I am thinking I might have to try to move up if I want to draft him.
Yeah, I mean he was going anywhere from 1.5 - 1.10 early on in dynasty draft season. Was snatching him up everywhere back then. I always had him as my 2nd RB after Gurley but was psyched he could be had in the middle of the round. After all the hype now looks like you would need a top 4 pick to grab him. The 1.4 is probably the safest cause I still don't see people taking him over Gurley, Cooper or White/Gordon, but I could definitely see him going 3 now after all the news

I don't invest as much in my research as guys like EFB anymore but I tend to like a lot of the same players he does.

I have a better feeling about Abdullah than all of the other rookie RBs for this year. Right now, I'd have to go with Gurley and Gordon over him long term but in PPR this year give me Abdullah.
Let's say we're looking at the next 3 year window, how are we ranking the three rookie RB's for ppr?

My only concern with Abdullah is his frustrating tendency to fumble. In the NFL, you won't play for long if you keep putting the ball on the carpet.

My only concern with Abdullah is his frustrating tendency to fumble. In the NFL, you won't play for long if you keep putting the ball on the carpet.
Ouch! Good call. I wasn't aware of his fumbling issue.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25092869/nfl-draft-fumble-rate-among-rb-prospects

Below is the career fumble rate (and hand size in inches) for running back prospects in the 2015 NFL Draft class:

35.4 -- Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska (8 5/8)

52.2 -- Kenny Hilliard, LSU (9 1/4)

54.4 -- Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin (9 3/4)

62.2 -- T.J. Yeldon, Alabama (9)

62.6 -- Jay Ajayi, Boise State (10)

63.2 -- Matt Jones, Florida (8 5/8)

72.3 -- Tevin Coleman, Indiana (8 5/8)

74.5 -- David Cobb, Minnesota (9 3/8)

77.5 -- David Johnson, Northern Iowa (9 5/8)

80.0 -- Javorius Allen, USC (9 3/8)

85.0 -- Duke Johnson, Miami (Fla.) (9 1/4)

87.3 -- Mike Davis, South Carolina (9 3/8)

91.5 -- Josh Robinson, Mississippi State (10 1/8)

92.7 -- Karlos Williams, Florida State (9 3/4)

123.2 -- Jeremy Langford, Michigan State (8 3/4)

125.0 -- Terrence Magee, LSU (9)

134.4 -- Zach Zenner, South Dakota State (9 5/8)

136.0 -- Cameron Artis-Payne, Auburn (8 7/8)

156.3 -- Dominique Brown, Louisville (9 1/2)

191.7 -- Todd Gurley, Georgia (10)

619.0 -- Malcolm Brown, Texas (10 1/4)

Ilov80s said:
Annoying situation. I'm in the enviable position of being a Lions fan in Scotland, and he is not on the radar of anyone in my league. Should be free to scoop him up around rounds 6-8, and will make a point of doing so.

2011-2012 6 Fumbles 3 Lost 84 Touches Fumble Rate = 14

2012-2013 8 Fumbles 6 Lost 283 Touches Fumble Rate = 35.375

2013-2014 5 Fumbles 5 Lost 311 Touches Fumble Rate = 62.2

2014-2015 4 Fumbles 2 Lost 300 Touches Fumble Rate = 75

I used carries, receptions, KR, and PR to calculate total Touches.

Looks like bootster21 is correct. He has improved dramatically over his 4yr college career.

2011-2012 6 Fumbles 3 Lost 84 Touches

2012-2013 8 Fumbles 6 Lost 283 Touches

2013-2014 5 Fumbles 5 Lost 311 Touches

2014-2015 4 Fumbles 2 Lost 300 Touches
So in that garbled mess you originally posted LOL, that seems to post correctly when it is quoted, you can see that he has improved every year and Year 1 skews everything

2011-2012 6 Fumbles 3 Lost 84 Touches

2012-2013 8 Fumbles 6 Lost 283 Touches

2013-2014 5 Fumbles 5 Lost 311 Touches

2014-2015 4 Fumbles 2 Lost 300 Touches
So in that garbled mess you originally posted LOL, that seems to post correctly when it is quoted, you can see that he has improved every year and Year 1 skews everything
Yeah ... looked great when I put it in there but when I clicked post it turned into alphabet soup. I've tidied it all up now.

:blackdot:

Sounds like he winds up ranked around RB16-20 and goes in the 4th when the standard PPR Labor Day redrafts come around. Higher even?

:blackdot:

Sounds like he winds up ranked around RB16-20 and goes in the 4th when the standard PPR Labor Day redrafts come around. Higher even?
that's about what I'd expect to be the highest he'd go. I can't put him above Crowell/Ellington/Randle, in the same tier as Yeldon. around #24 unless Bell were out long.

TripItUp said:
Ilov80s said:
Ilov80s said:
What mocks are you using? Fantasy Football calculator, he goes in the 5th of 12 team PPR drafts. The other mocks like Yahoo he goes later.
Fantasy Pros which I believe averages all the major sites together has him in the late 7th for standard.
That's going to go up at least two rounds after a few preseason games.
Could you give me some insight on why you feel so confident he is going to look so good in preseason? I like him as well and have him on a few of my teams and like his upside but you are speaking so confidently about how you feel about him I just want to know what you know or why you feel this why?

TripItUp said:
Ilov80s said:
Ilov80s said:
Could you give me some insight on why you feel so confident he is going to look so good in preseason? I like him as well and have him on a few of my teams and like his upside but you are speaking so confidently about how you feel about him I just want to know what you know or why you feel this why?
I think Abdullah is more likely than most to flash a some sick moves and break off some stunning highlight type plays against the future UPS drivers and sky caps that he will likely be facing in the preseason. Fantasy players will start salivating over his potential and start reaching for him earlier and earlier...etc.

TripItUp said:
Ilov80s said:
Ilov80s said:
It is just shtick he started earlier in the thread. Whether he believes it or not, he has to follow through with the shtick at this point.Context: I'm an Abdullah owner and hope he is right

Pride Of Detroit had this to say about observing Tuesday's training camp practice:

Ameer Abdullah had arguably his best day of training camp on Tuesday and drew a lot of "oohs" and "ahhs" from the crowd almost every time he touched the ball. One thing I cannot stress enough is how much better Abdullah is at catching the ball than Reggie Bush ever was. I don't think I've seen him drop a single pass yet. We'll see what happens during some actual preseason action. There was a specific play where Abdullah caught a short pass from Stafford during a red-zone drill and completely faked DeAndre Levy out before proceeding to dive into the end zone for a touchdown.

Pride Of Detroit had this to say about observing Tuesday's training camp practice:

Ameer Abdullah had arguably his best day of training camp on Tuesday and drew a lot of "oohs" and "ahhs" from the crowd almost every time he touched the ball. One thing I cannot stress enough is how much better Abdullah is at catching the ball than Reggie Bush ever was. I don't think I've seen him drop a single pass yet. We'll see what happens during some actual preseason action. There was a specific play where Abdullah caught a short pass from Stafford during a red-zone drill and completely faked DeAndre Levy out before proceeding to dive into the end zone for a touchdown.
That sounds promising!

This thread is really starting to remind me of a similar thread a few years ago for a certain Lions rookie rb.

This thread is really starting to remind me of a similar thread a few years ago for a certain Lions rookie rb.
As a fantasy owner, I am excited for what he can do. As a Lions fan, I'm worried about what awful disappointing fate he will meet.

ok stop it

I've taken him in 2 drafts and ya'll are getting me all excited thinking maybe, this once, I've struck fantasy gold

and I'm afraid I'll be let down ....

ok stop it

I've taken him in 2 drafts and ya'll are getting me all excited thinking maybe, this once, I've struck fantasy gold

and I'm afraid I'll be let down ....
I'm feeling the same way. I got him at 1.09 in one league, and 1.03 in a devy league.

After the Ryan Mathews and Pattersons and Trents and Ben Tates I've taken the last few years, it would be nice to draft a fantasy stud again.

I have a lot of concerns about Abdullah. Everything from him not being a physical difference-maker (small & slow), to not having the size to be an efficient GL back, to not being an elite receiver (which would help at his size). He also doesn't have the loose hips that would help a smaller RB be more dynamic. He's quick (which is more important than speed) & seems to have good vision, but this dude has a lot to overcome, IMO.

Abdullah is in a pretty good situation, but I'm very leery of calling this guy a potential FF stud.

I have a lot of concerns about Abdullah. Everything from him not being a physical difference-maker (small & slow), to not having the size to be an efficient GL back, to not being an elite receiver (which would help at his size). He also doesn't have the loose hips that would help a smaller RB be more dynamic. He's quick (which is more important than speed) & seems to have good vision, but this dude has a lot to overcome, IMO.

Abdullah is in a pretty good situation, but I'm very leery of calling this guy a potential FF stud.
Can you say more about your concerns regarding his receiving skills?

I read the concerns from Football Jones and was left thinking we saw different players in college last season. I think Abdullah is big for his height, a good receiver and quick with good vision. And he is in a great offense where it's even being reported that he is blocking well. I mean I think the guy can just flat out play football. Just my opinion.

Not to rain on the parade. But how do you honestly think the carries distribute between him and joique bell?
I think the X factor to the answer will largely be based on how Bell looks once he returns from his surgeries. He wasn't the quickest before these injuries and an achilles injury is no joke. I think at the draft and much of the off season you would have to think that Bell would dominate the carries but the more time goes by and Bell is nowhere to be found I think you need to continue to slowly ratchet up the carries for Ameer a bit.

If I had to guess right now, I'd probably predict a split down the middle and maybe 12 carries/game and kind of used like Ellington 2 years ago.

I read the concerns from Football Jones and was left thinking we saw different players in college last season. I think Abdullah is big for his height, a good receiver and quick with good vision. And he is in a great offense where it's even being reported that he is blocking well. I mean I think the guy can just flat out play football. Just my opinion.
This ...

I guess I wonder how Football Joe can say this given the tape and his crazy agility scores at the combine (http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4822/).

Sure he isn't 6'1" and 220 lbs. Sure he doesn't run a 4.46 40, but his quickness and agility are off the charts. Speed can be improved upon. He was 4.6 at the combine. If he improves to just 4.5 over the next season (or two), and couples this will his cray quickness ... this kid will be off the charts in ppr leagues. Also, his game tape shows he has the wiggle you just cannot teach (and camp reports reinforce this).

Put this kid in space, since Calvin, Tate, Ebron and others can clear out the middle and frontline, and you have the making for a special ppr RB imho. Add his reported work ethic and intelligence and you could have the makings of a "special player".

I guess I just don't see the lack of receiving ability and tight hips. As for the 40, its not everything. The whole package is pretty good, and possible great over time. We'll see.

Papa John said:
Gandalf said:
Alex P Keaton said:
Football Jones said:

This ...

I guess I wonder how Football Joe can say this given the tape and his crazy agility scores at the combine (http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4822/).

Sure he isn't 6'1" and 220 lbs. Sure he doesn't run a 4.46 40, but his quickness and agility are off the charts. Speed can be improved upon. He was 4.6 at the combine. If he improves to just 4.5 over the next season (or two), and couples this will his cray quickness ... this kid will be off the charts in ppr leagues. Also, his game tape shows he has the wiggle you just cannot teach (and camp reports reinforce this).

Put this kid in space, since Calvin, Tate, Ebron and others can clear out the middle and frontline, and you have the making for a special ppr RB imho. Add his reported work ethic and intelligence and you could have the makings of a "special player".

I guess I just don't see the lack of receiving ability and tight hips. As for the 40, its not everything. The whole package is pretty good, and possible great over time. We'll see.
Yeah, the tight hips thing just made no sense to me. Even his detractors acknowledge that he's electric in his change of direction ability and in open space. I can't help but believe that he saw a couple minutes of highlights, looked up his stats and cemented his opinion on him or something. His receiving stats aren't elite coming out of college, but he pretty much never dropped a pass in college, showed excellent ability to adjust to under and overthrown balls, and to make something with it after catching it.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Not to rain on the parade. But how do you honestly think the carries distribute between him and joique bell?
This is my main concern in redraft. Maybe it was just the personnel but Lombardi obviously always split the carries up a lot. Not sure how it'll shake out but I worry Joique gets most of the goal line work and a decent chunk of carries (assuming he's healthy) and Riddick gets some 3rd down work basically just because that's what he does.

Not sure what site everyone else uses but I see Abdullah as RB25 now on FF Calculator (between Yeldon and Rashad Jennings) and I definitely like him there, not sure he stays there if he keeps getting positive blurbs though.

I didn't say Abdullah was tight. Big difference. He's not stiff, but he doesn't have the loose hips that would really help a smaller RB. I also didn't say he had a lack of receiving ability, he just isn't a special receiver which would help offset his size. I mentioned he's quick (which is more important than speed), but it doesn't translate to him being overly dynamic on the field. He's got to have more than wiggle at his size, but he does show good lateral agility on the field. I believe Combine numbers are only a small part of the picture. Specifically, the jump numbers can be very misleading. Explosion & things like that I want to see on the field.

I'm not totally down on him, but I'm leery of how good he can be. On the bright side, Abdullah is in a plus situation & his draft status means he'll be given a chance to produce. It sounds like I'm being overly critical, but it's more to do with the predictions of him being a fantasy stud. He's got a lot of questions to answer at this time, IMO.

Papa John said:
Gandalf said:
Alex P Keaton said:
Football Jones said:

This ...

Yeah, the tight hips thing just made no sense to me. Even his detractors acknowledge that he's electric in his change of direction ability and in open space. I can't help but believe that he saw a couple minutes of highlights, looked up his stats and cemented his opinion on him or something. His receiving stats aren't elite coming out of college, but he pretty much never dropped a pass in college, showed excellent ability to adjust to under and overthrown balls, and to make something with it after catching it.
LOL. I don't formulate my opinion on a couple of YouTube videos. Also, per my above post, I never said Abdullah was a poor receiver, only that he's not a special receiver which would be a big bonus at his size. He's shown to be more than adequate as a pass-catcher.

Again, I'm not burying him, but he's not an elite prospect. I'm interested to see what he can do, myself.

BTW, Abdullah obviously has good change of direction. He can definitely plant hard & make a quick lateral move in the open field to force a missed tackle, but looser hips would help maximize that ability & make him more dynamic. Examples of loose hips for similar sized RBs would be Jamal Charles & LeSean McCoy. At that size, you've really got to have special attributes.

Abdullah's upside to me right now is a RB2 in PPR. I don't consider him to be special, but he could be good enough to take advantage of his situation (at this time). Downside is he's the type of RB who's likely to be spelled at the GL over the course of his career & not sure he's good enough to be productive if his situation deteriorates.

I don't think Abdullah is a bad prospect. I knew I'd never get him in dynasty leagues because he was going too high for me, but I'd take him at the right price. Problem is he'll never be there at that price. I'm actually surprised so many people are that high on him. I just can't get behind him being a potential stud right now.

BTW, Abdullah obviously has good change of direction. He can definitely plant hard & make a quick lateral move in the open field to force a missed tackle, but looser hips would help maximize that ability & make him more dynamic. Examples of loose hips for similar sized RBs would be Jamal Charles & LeSean McCoy. At that size, you've really got to have special attributes.
At this point you REALLY need to explain what you mean by "loose hips" because I feel like I'm not alone in having no clue at all what you're trying to imply beyond change of direction.

Papa John said:
Gandalf said:
Alex P Keaton said:
Football Jones said:

This ...

LOL. I don't formulate my opinion on a couple of YouTube videos. Also, per my above post, I never said Abdullah was a poor receiver, only that he's not a special receiver which would be a big bonus at his size. He's shown to be more than adequate as a pass-catcher.

Again, I'm not burying him, but he's not an elite prospect. I'm interested to see what he can do, myself.
What exactly defines a "special receiver" at RB in your eyes?

Since Ameer is probably the #1 RB as long as Bell is out, I wonder how much he'll play tonight. Im excited to see him in action. Hoping he plays a half but guessing only a series or 2.

Papa John said:
Gandalf said:
Alex P Keaton said:
Football Jones said:

This ...

What exactly defines a "special receiver" at RB in your eyes?
You think Abdullah is a special receiver? Really? It's much more than just having decent hands.

David Johnson is an example of a rookie RB who has the ability to be an elite receiver. If you want a vet example, Matt Forte.

Since Ameer is probably the #1 RB as long as Bell is out, I wonder how much he'll play tonight. Im excited to see him in action. Hoping he plays a half but guessing only a series or 2.
I would think 2 series is the MAX you will see him in there. They will have 5 active rbs dressed tonight. I would think 1 or 2 series from him and Reddick and the other 3 guys are playing for 1 or 2 spots on the roster.

At this point you REALLY need to explain what you mean by "loose hips" because I feel like I'm not alone in having no clue at all what you're trying to imply beyond change of direction.
It's a common scouting term. Watch Charles & McCoy run. Forte has loose hips. Specifically, the looser the hips, the less upright they can be while making sudden, unexpected cuts. It's one thing to juke a guy with time to set him up, it's another to do it in a split second.

Guys with loose hips can angle their body closer to the ground which expedites their ability to change direction without much notice. Guys like Abdullah, who let's say has average tightness in his hips, has to make his cuts more upright. The RBs with the loosest hips have the ability to start altering their body angle even while their plant foot is still in the air, then altering it even more once they plant, to better facilitate missed tackles, especially in traffic.

In general, the smaller the RB, the more this is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread