What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (2 Viewers)

In redraft Ameer appears to be close to fairly valued right now. His PPR ADP across all sites averages RB28. This does not figure to be a dynamic offense. Riddick's WR skills will yield some touches. Bell figures to get the close in work and likely gets at least the ceremonial starter's role for a time and, even as a likely eventual starter, Ameer will be in a significant timeshare. RB2 and most likely low end RB2. But I like his skills, work ethic and longer term prospects more than what appears to me to be current reality.

It Bell would be the goal line back but what does everyone thing his redzone TDs/work will be?

Calvin demands extra redzone coverage so slipping AA underneath to Calvin's side seems like an easy option

It Bell would be the goal line back but what does everyone thing his redzone TDs/work will be?

Calvin demands extra redzone coverage so slipping AA underneath to Calvin's side seems like an easy option
Or Riddick. Or Bell. That's what is interesting about this backfield: all figure to be between serviceable to excellent in the receiving game.

Rotoworld:

According to the Lions' website, the team envisions Joique Bell and rookie Ameer Abdullah as a "one-two punch."

The Lions hope SPARQ superstar Abdullah can "bring the big play back to the rushing attack," while Bell grinds between the tackles. Unless Joique's Achilles' and knee-surgery recoveries progress slower than expected, Abdullah fantasy drafters can't expect the second-round pick to open the year as Detroit's lead runner. Bell should also be locked in as the Lions' goal-line back.

Related: Ameer Abdullah

Source: detroitlions.com
Jul 9 - 3:11 PM

Rotoworld:

Lions.com reporter Tim Twentyman said rookie RB Ameer Abdullah was "as impressive as a back can be without pads" during the team's offseason program.

The Abdullah hype machine seems to grow every day. He was a monster at OTAs and looks poised to overtake starter Joique Bell in the very near future. Abdullah has a great set of hands, which should make him a fixture right away in PPR formats. The 22-year-old will also be involved on special teams and could open the season as Detroit's primary kick and punt returner.

Jul 10 - 9:21 AM

Best case scenario he could be a top 10, maybe top 8 PPR back. Would require a Joique injury, I think, as even if Joique simply stumbles a bit I think it's tough to imagine him completely losing the goal line action.

Ray Rice's 2nd year he was RB4 on a team where McGahee and McClain stayed healthy all year. I think top 5 is a possibility given Detroit wants to be a ball control team. But that upside would probably require Calvin to miss games. He can keep Joique's role limited just by being more dynamic, but he won't be the focus of the offense on a team with Calvin healthy.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein says there seems to be more concern with Joique Bell's health this year than in 2014.

In 2014, Bell missed most of the offseason due to a knee issue but still played in 15 games and logged 257 touches. This year's Achilles' and knee ailments appear more serious. Joique is expected to be eased in slowly as camp opens next week and his progress will be worth watching closely. He's currently being overdrafted at a fifth-round ADP while dynamic rookie Ameer Abdullah is going a round later.

Related: Ameer Abdullah

Source: ESPN.com
Jul 21 - 12:06 PM

Not just saying this as an Abdullah owner/fan, but the Lions would be wise to get him going right from the start even if Bell can play Week 1. Bell won't last all year if he's handling a full load and they would be wise trying to preserve him for later in the year for a playoff push.

I think it has probably been really good for Abdullah to get some good time with the first unit, even if only as a result of Bell's injury. The rookie seems to be in a nice place to get a good variety and volume of touches early (rushes, recs, returns).

Mike Garafolo at Lions camp video:

"Ameer Abdullah, I will say this, the hype is real. Before I came up here, I was reading about him making veterans miss in the open field... Ameer Abdullah, I'm buying in to the hype."

I would hope he's making guys miss in the open field. That's the strongest portion of his game.

I have a serious man-crush on this guy. I'm considering offering Joseph Randle for him in dynasty. I see him as being the unquestioned lead back in the very near future for detroit and my thoughts are well-known on this board for Randle.

I'm thinking the Randle hype has to be about at it's peak post-mcfadden-double-hammy and pre-fa-rb-addition.

I have a serious man-crush on this guy. I'm considering offering Joseph Randle for him in dynasty. I see him as being the unquestioned lead back in the very near future for detroit and my thoughts are well-known on this board for Randle.

I'm thinking the Randle hype has to be about at it's peak post-mcfadden-double-hammy and pre-fa-rb-addition.
I'm an Abdullah owner in dynasty and would turn down that offer and by a wide margin.

Rodeojones said:
mikmak8902 said:

I'm an Abdullah owner in dynasty and would turn down that offer and by a wide margin.
Same.

Rodeojones said:
mikmak8902 said:

Same.
Yea sorry ... I would be insulted by that offer. If you want him as much as you say - offer more and go get him. Kid is going to be great. Randle is in a nice situation - but he is a dumb ###, and he does nothing "special". It's evident the Cowboys have devalued the RB position because their O-line is set up to be dominant for years - that's the reason they let Demarco walk, it was NOTHING to do with Randle. The Cowboys will draft their next "feature" back next year, Bank on that.

Go get Ameer

Rodeojones said:
mikmak8902 said:

Same.
Yea sorry ... I would be insulted by that offer. If you want him as much as you say - offer more and go get him. Kid is going to be great. Randle is in a nice situation - but he is a dumb ###, and he does nothing "special". It's evident the Cowboys have devalued the RB position because their O-line is set up to be dominant for years - that's the reason they let Demarco walk, it was NOTHING to do with Randle. The Cowboys will draft their next "feature" back next year, Bank on that. Go get Ameer
Owner of Ameer in multiple dynasty leagues...the Randle offer would be an easy pass.

To me he is a tough guy to peg. He is taken in the 5th in PPR? Would be great as a Flex but find myself either taking a QB/TE or WR. RB does drop off quickly at around when Ameer is taken.

He's hard not to like in redraft at this point. Joique Bell will almost certainly still have a role once healed--he's been super reliable, and very effective in short yardage--but it may be more like his 2013 season of ~200 touches than his 2014 of ~260.

Once you get down to RB25 or so, things get pretty shaky for everyone you might think of as a lead back. Rashad Jennings appears to be getting pushed by Andre Williams. Doug Martin has tons of opportunity but has been a special kind of terrible the last two years. Blount won't see the field on passing downs and the NE backfield is always mysterious. Yeldon has all the tools but he's going to be on a still very much in transition Jacksonville team. Crowell is a hammer but the Cleveland backfield could be a mess. Bottom line--it's hard not to see Abdullah netting around 200 touches in a pretty explosive offense, with upside for a lot more. I'm buying as long as he doesn't start pushing up into the top 20 backs by ADP.

Some good stuff from that one:

“We can’t even tackle that guy,” Austin said without breaking stride. “We can’t even touch him. He’s like grasping at air.”

“Abdullah?” a reporter asked.

Austin lifted his right hand high in the air, gave a thumbs-up and kept on toward the locker room.
After Calvin Johnson, who makes at least one amazing catch per practice, Abdullah has been the most eye-popping player in the first week of training camp and it isn’t particularly close.
And, unlike most rookies, he actually looks like he can hold his own in pass protection, something he did quite well Saturday, when the Lions had a mock game on the sixth practice of training camp, putting players in different game-like situations for the better part of two hours.
“Coach Modkins is 100% right,” Abdullah said. “I have so much I have to improve on. Sometimes you hear a lot of oohs and aahs out there, but I could have messed up, they don’t even know, and something fluke happened and I caught the ball or whatever. But there’s a lot of things I still need to clean up before I’m ready to go out there and be every down with Matt (Stafford). So that’s what I’m working on every day.”
The hype train is real.

Really good if you can get this guy as your flex but it really depends on where you pick in that 5th round of 12 team drafts. Hopefully he isn't being drafted in the 4th though I could see why.

Where does he rank for you guys in dynasty non-PPR formats?
I'm only in ppr leagues and ended up with him a quite a few of my dynasty leagues. But in non-ppr I'd be pretty wary, especially redraft. I don't see him being an every down back and definitely not this year. Maybe something close to Gio's first season.

Some good stuff from that one:

“We can’t even tackle that guy,” Austin said without breaking stride. “We can’t even touch him. He’s like grasping at air.”

“Abdullah?” a reporter asked.

Austin lifted his right hand high in the air, gave a thumbs-up and kept on toward the locker room.

After Calvin Johnson, who makes at least one amazing catch per practice, Abdullah has been the most eye-popping player in the first week of training camp and it isn’t particularly close.

And, unlike most rookies, he actually looks like he can hold his own in pass protection, something he did quite well Saturday, when the Lions had a mock game on the sixth practice of training camp, putting players in different game-like situations for the better part of two hours.

“Coach Modkins is 100% right,” Abdullah said. “I have so much I have to improve on. Sometimes you hear a lot of oohs and aahs out there, but I could have messed up, they don’t even know, and something fluke happened and I caught the ball or whatever. But there’s a lot of things I still need to clean up before I’m ready to go out there and be every down with Matt (Stafford). So that’s what I’m working on every day.”
The hype train is real.
The hype train is real, and it is spectacular.

Former Husker Ameer Abdullah 'took some people by surprise' at first padded practice for Lions:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/former-husker-ameer-abdullah-took-some-people-by-surprise-at/article_0e2838b2-3d1f-11e5-ac55-33830739e59d.html?mode=jqm

Former Husker running back Ameer Abdullah had his first padded practice with the Detroit Lions on Wednesday since being drafted in the second round, and he said he thinks he may turned some heads.

"I definitely feel like I took some people by surprise and some people took me by surprise," Abdullah said in a blog he wrote for the Lions website. "I’m looking forward to getting more contact because it’s going to be a long season."

Abdullah is competing with Joique Bell for the workload in Detroit. With Bell out with an injury, Abdullah has seen a large share of the carries.

"I think everything happens for a reason," the former Husker said. "When Joique gets back, he’s going to get his fair share of carries — he deserves it. ... Everyone needs those extra reps right now. Getting those extra reps as a group is really good."

ESPN writer Michael Rothstein was at Lions practice this week and wrote that Abdullah has been the standout running back, but also is making a difference in the return game.

"Abdullah again looked strong and decisive with his cuts," Rothstein wrote. "Because the Lions don’t want to fully take guys to the ground, it’s tough to tell exactly how he would have fared, but his instincts are definitely there and definitely strong. He also had the most impressive return of the day during the special-teams period, finding a hole and cutting right through it."

Abdullah has received some high praise from teammates, too.

"... Ameer Abdullah, when he got drafted, I didn't know how Detroit got him so late," former Lions wide receiver and NFL Network analyst Nate Burleson told the Detroit News. "I looked at his stats and watched him on film and thought, 'This dude is incredible.' The way he can move in and out of the hole, quick footwork, side-to-side movements and catching out the backfield."

The Detroit running back battle will likely become a little more clear once Bell returns to action, but for now, Abdullah appears to be handling the duties fine. There is no timetable set for Bell's return from his offseason surgery. The Lions open the preseason Thursday against the New York Jets.

At this point, if you want him you better be willing to grab him a round ahead of his ADP.
His ADP is the 5th of 12 team PPR drafts.

Yeah but I ain't taking him before the RB 2 types. You can't take him before Alfred Morris, Stewart, Ellington who go around the 4th round in 12 PPR team drafts. Unless he is an every down player and is the starter due to his talent in a good offense. Guys like Morris, Stewart and Ellington figure to get most of the work, maybe not Ellington but Ellington has big upside if he can stay healthy and hold off David Johnson.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, if you want him you better be willing to grab him a round ahead of his ADP.

Yeah but I ain't taking him before the RB 2 types. You can't take him before Alfred Morris, Stewart, Ellington who go around the 4th round in 12 PPR team drafts. Unless he is an every down player and is the starter due to his talent in a good offense. Guys like Morris, Stewart and Ellington figure to get most of the work, maybe not Ellington but Ellington has big upside if he can stay healthy and hold off David Johnson.
I'd gamble on Abdullah over those guys. You know what those guys are. And they aren't winning you championships in ppr.

I'd gamble on Abdullah over those guys. You know what those guys are. And they aren't winning you championships in ppr.
Ameer may be in position to seize the starting job but not a guarantee he gets it. He will still likely get a fair amount of work as the backup due to his receiving ability and talent. I like him but taking him over these RBs is tough. Maybe Ellington if you worry about his warts and deem that you rather have Ameer because he doesn't have the injury risk of an Ellington. Morris is going to run more and may get a few more receptions. Stewart has RB 1 upside. That means he is your RB 2.

Ameer may be in position to seize the starting job but not a guarantee he gets it. He will still likely get a fair amount of work as the backup due to his receiving ability and talent. I like him but taking him over these RBs is tough. Maybe Ellington if you worry about his warts and deem that you rather have Ameer because he doesn't have the injury risk of an Ellington. Morris is going to run more and may get a few more receptions. Stewart has RB 1 upside. That means he is your RB 2.
Stewart has more injury risk than any of these guys and he's 28. No thanks...

Rotoworld:

Lions RBs coach Curtis Modkins was noncommittal when asked if second-round pick Ameer Abdullah can be an every-down back.

Abdullah is only 5-foot-9 and 205 pounds. "Til he gets in the preseason and plays we’ll see," said Modkins. "I don’t want to make that judgment now. We’ll see where hes at and hopefully he can." There have been NFL every-down backs at Abdullah's size before, but they are generally outliers and exceptions to the rule. For what it's worth, Lions DC Teryl Austin has been dazzled by Abdullah's lateral shake in practice. "We can't even tackle that guy," said Austin. "We can't even touch him. He's like grasping at air."

Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter

Aug 9 - 12:50 PM

Rotoworld:

Lions RBs coach Curtis Modkins was noncommittal when asked if second-round pick Ameer Abdullah can be an every-down back.

Abdullah is only 5-foot-9 and 205 pounds. "Til he gets in the preseason and plays we’ll see," said Modkins. "I don’t want to make that judgment now. We’ll see where hes at and hopefully he can." There have been NFL every-down backs at Abdullah's size before, but they are generally outliers and exceptions to the rule. For what it's worth, Lions DC Teryl Austin has been dazzled by Abdullah's lateral shake in practice. "We can't even tackle that guy," said Austin. "We can't even touch him. He's like grasping at air."

Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter

Aug 9 - 12:50 PM
The NFL is full of exceptions to the rule.

Rotoworld:

The Lions' website reports second-round RB Ameer Abdullah has "held his own" in pass-blocking drills.

Meanwhile, Theo Riddick has "struggled a bit." Abdullah has been generating hype and praise all offseason, but pass protection could be the single-most important factor as he tries to place heat on Joique Bell and distance himself from Riddick. As it stands right now, Abdullah is in for a big early-season role on third downs, and potentially much more.

Related: Joique Bell, Theo Riddick

Aug 10 - 3:19 PM

very interesting situation but I'm wondering what he'll be like with the pads on when the hitting starts. Will likely have the choice between Ameer and Yeldon in a dynasty and it seems like a pretty close horse race.

very interesting situation but I'm wondering what he'll be like with the pads on when the hitting starts. Will likely have the choice between Ameer and Yeldon in a dynasty and it seems like a pretty close horse race.
:blackdot:

I expect to face this same choice. Leaning Yeldon.

I have Ameer over Yeldon in every format.

More talent, better situation.
Yeldon was drafted higher and has an opportunity for a 3 down role. Not sure I see this angle at all. I like Ameer in Det but the way people ignore Yeldon is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread