What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (2 Viewers)

Ameer landed in a great spot for his talent, but his workload and GL carries are concerns. Do you guys think he can absolutely take over a primary role in the 2 years?
The Lion's history says they drafted him to be an every down back, they seem to like the smaller backs, see Bush and Best. Can Abdullah hold up better than Bush and Best did remains to be seen.
The offensive coordinator has a history using platoons heavily though.
True and it seems to be the way of the NFL now, but I could see them giving Abdullah the higher end of that platoon and seeing if he can handle it.

He's 2 inches taller than MJD was but gives up 5lbs. It wouldn't surprise me if he puts on weight in the NFL though. The key with alot of these "small" backs is whether or not they have the ability to run inside. Abdullah looks like a solid inside runner on tape. From what I've seen, he shows nice vision and has a great burst and lateral agility.

Joique Bell has been atrocious the last two seasons and there's really no reason for it. I don't care how bad the line is, if you have an offense that is throwing the ball 600 for 4000+ yards, there should be some room to run.
Frankly, I think he's pretty maxed out already, there's just not much room left on his frame to add more bulk without sacrificing speed. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if his 4.6 showing at the combine was largely related to the 5 lbs he put on after his season ended (he played at 200lbs). I expected him to run low-mid 4.5s based on his tape.

When's the last time a small back like him successfully carried the full load of a team?

McCoy?

Charles?

I like the guy but I'm not going to pound him between the tackles. I'm not going to run him in the goalline. I see a 60 - 40 split with Bell.

I really like Abdullah but history is not on his side. He's going to get his bell rung in the NFL if he sees 200+ carries.

There's definitely a role for this guy but you don't want to see him become another Jahvid Best, Steve Slaton, or David Wilson.

There's definitely a role for this guy but you don't want to see him become another Jahvid Best, Steve Slaton, or David Wilson.
What makes you believe he would be like those guys?

Does he have concussion issues?

Does he have a neck issue?

I forgot Slaton's issue?

Ameer reportedly improved his 40 time at his pro day. Link

Abdullah reportedly improved on his 40 time from the combine (4.60) by running in the 4.4 range and did a full battery of pass-catching and agility drills. There has been increasing buzz that the Doak Walker Award finalist is emerging as a likely second-round pick and he did nothing to slow down that momentum with his performance on Thursday.
Draftscout has him as running a 4.55 at his pro day. Also shows that he had 4.4 and 4.5 runs at the combine.4.61 was his high at the combine.

If you compare the official 10 yard time at the combine with his 10 yard time at his pro day you see an improvement of .12 seconds. I have read things suggesting that a players can improve their first step a lot through technique and you see some improvement with Ameer here as an example. Ameer does not strike me as a track player like many of the players at the combine are, so he may not have had as refined technique as some of the other players.

Considering how good Ameers other measurables were such as his vertical and broad jump, it makes sense that he is faster than 4.6 his numbers were actually pretty close to Jerrick McKinnon from 2014.

I think Ameer is the player the Vikings hope McKinnon develops into.

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes you believe he would be like those guys?Does he have concussion issues?

Does he have a neck issue?

I forgot Slaton's issue?
His size, physique, and the way that he runs puts him in that category. I have no doubt that this guy is willing to lower his shoulder to break a tackle but he really shouldn't be. I think his upside is a rich man's Pierre Thomas.Bump in PPR leagues as the Lions will be smart to give him the ball in space.

Lower in Touchdown heavy leagues where 229 lb Bell will see much of the RZ work.

He's kind of like a Felix Jones where you want to keep him fresh so he can rip off big plays. One hamstring or ankle injury and he doesn't have the physical size to continue to produce. I really like his talent as a runner though and the Lions are a great fit.

Slaton ended up having to get a few vertebrae fused together after taking a big hit, iirc.

Abdullah has 1st round talent for sure. One other thing that really stands out to me is all the reports I've read about his character, on and off the field. One scout had him graded higher than any other player, ever. His work ethic is also something coaches and players have raved about. He is the total package at rb minus a few inches and pounds.

Debated about him or Yeldon at the 1.08. I know Yeldon has the prototypical size for a 3 down back, but I couldn't deny that I likes Abdullahs tape so much better. I thought, who would I feel more comfortable missing on? I would be pissed if Abdullah became the stud he showed he can be and I passed on him for a guy that I don't like as much just because of his size.

Not sure what Eminence is talking about above. Best had concussion issues. As far as I know, people's heads are all about the same size and have the same cushion no matter how big or strong they are. Also, with David Wilson, his neck issue is more of a degenerative thing and not a "took a beating" thing. I would know because I have the same issue and I sit at a computer all day.

I got him at the 2.04 (16th overall) last night. TE Premium ppr, deep rosters.

Folks don't seem very confident in Detroits ability to draft RBs.

Hard to imagine Abdullah lasting past 1.07 in any PPr leagues unles a guy is making a hard need pick ( gurley/Gordon/cooper/white/Parker/agholor/Abdullah in some order)
I was just able to trade up to 1.11 and snag him in my rookie draft. So there is hope past 1.06 for sure...
I just took him as the 1.06, ahead of parker and agholor. that league starts 2-3 rb and 3-4 wr, so the value of rb is higher than in my other leagues.

I can see the 1.7 as the floor in most PPR Leagues. The 1.5 most likely is the ceiling unless you have a real die hard Lion's fan holding 1.3 or 1.4.
He went 1.08 in two of my leagues. Gurley,Cooper,White,Gordon,Yeldon,DGB,Agholor all went before him

When's the last time a small back like him successfully carried the full load of a team?

McCoy?

Charles?

I like the guy but I'm not going to pound him between the tackles. I'm not going to run him in the goalline. I see a 60 - 40 split with Bell.

I really like Abdullah but history is not on his side. He's going to get his bell rung in the NFL if he sees 200+ carries.
Same team. Jahvid Best. Just got unlucky with concussions. And concussions have nothing to do with the player's size. Just ask Junior.

McCoy?

Charles?

Same team. Jahvid Best. Just got unlucky with concussions. And concussions have nothing to do with the player's size. Just ask Junior.
Also, Abdullah's only notable injury that I can remember was his MCL sprain that knocked him out of the Purdue game this year (and which he played through thereafter, despite clearly not being 100%). He's never, to my knowledge, suffered a concussion in over 800 college carries.

Do we really think he's going to become a 300 carry guy though? His value is in receiving snapping off long ones, no?

Do we really think he's going to become a 300 carry guy though? His value is in receiving snapping off long ones, no?
I think he has the talent to be one, but I don't think he will be, no. I think he'll earn the lion's share (heh) of carries before the end of the year, though, and maintain himself as a high use committee back at worst. Those discounting him as a third down / passing only guy are going to regret it.

300 rushing attempts is too high of an expectation, for any RB in today's NFL. Very few get that kind of workload and even fewer get that workload for more than one season.

2011 7 RB had 300 or more rushing attempts

Michael Turner
Steven Jackson
Arian Foster
Rashard Mendenhall
Cedric Benson
Chris Johnson
Ray Rice

2011 2 RB had 300 or more rushing attempts

Maurice Jones-Drew
Michael Turner

2012 5 RB had 300 or more rushing attempts

Arian Foster
Adrian Peterson
Alfred Morris
Doug Martin*
Marshawn Lynch

2013 2 RB had 300 or more rushing attempts

LeSean McCoy
Marshawn Lynch

2014 2 RB had 300 or more rushing attempts

LeSean McCoy
DeMarco Murray

300 rushing attempts is too high of an expectation, for any RB in today's NFL. Very few get that kind of workload and even fewer get that workload for more than one season.

2011 7 RB had 300 or more rushing attempts

Michael Turner
Steven Jackson
Arian Foster
Rashard Mendenhall
Cedric Benson
Chris Johnson
Ray Rice

2011 2 RB had 300 or more rushing attempts

Maurice Jones-Drew
Michael Turner

2012 5 RB had 300 or more rushing attempts

Arian Foster
Adrian Peterson
Alfred Morris
Doug Martin*
Marshawn Lynch

2013 2 RB had 300 or more rushing attempts

LeSean McCoy
Marshawn Lynch

2014 2 RB had 300 or more rushing attempts

LeSean McCoy
DeMarco Murray
Well I for one am expecting a 300 carry workhorse with a late 1st :rolleyes:

Is Abdullah pretty much the locked in #4 back behind Gurley, Gordon, and Yeldon?

I have 4 Lions fans in my league so I'm thinking if he's there at 10 I want him.

Does he have more value than Crowell?

Is Abdullah pretty much the locked in #4 back behind Gurley, Gordon, and Yeldon?
Personally, I don't have a strong conviction on Yeldon vs. Abdullah vs. Coleman. If I can control it I'd just try to position myself to pick the one that falls.

I have 4 Lions fans in my league so I'm thinking if he's there at 10 I want him.

I think it's clearly that top 4 yeah.

As for the Crowelll question if we're putting a pick value of lets say 1.10 on Abdullah, I have my doubts that a Crowell owner would accept 1.10 for him.

I think it's clearly that top 4 yeah.

As for the Crowelll question if we're putting a pick value of lets say 1.10 on Abdullah, I have my doubts that a Crowell owner would accept 1.10 for him.
I have him squarely #2 behind Gurley, but I know I'm a definite outlier. I've never personally gotten the Crowell love, I don't think he's special in any way and his value is mostly due to opportunity (and the team just drafted another RB to add to that already crowded backfield). I actually wrote this about them both as high school players in 2011:

If I had to slot Ameer into the top 10 on Rivals, and re-rank the top 11 or so in my own opinion (a fair challenge given that I've placed him above Aaron Green at #8), I'd have the top 10 as follows:1. Malcolm Brown - Great speed for a back his size. Absolutely punishing as a runner. Good agility, not great.

2. Devonta Freeman - This guy is like Ameer, but a little faster. Very similar runners.

3. Brendan Bigelow - Flat out astonishing speed. If I had to guess, this kid is running legit 4.3's in high school.

tie 4. Ameer Abdullah

tie 4. Mike Blakely - A lot of what I like about Ameer, I see in Blakely. I think Ameer is slightly faster, but Blakely showed his moves against better competition than Ameer.

6. Aaron Green

7. Savon Huggins - Looks great on tape, but did it against pretty mediocre competition in New Jersey. He looks the part (6' 220) and has great speed. He could easily top this list if he proves it against better competition.

8. Brandon Williams - Good speed, but he's a long strider who is tall and skinny. Needs to put on 20-30 lbs before he fills out his frame properly. Reminds me of a Daniel Thomas type.

9. James Wilder - I just don't get the love. He's got good vision, shows decent strength, but he bumbles through it all. Constantly looks like he is off balance and lacks good long speed. Not a game breaker, but could produce well if given lots of carries.

10. Isaiah Crowell - Repeat what I said about Wilder. Looks slow and plodding, but has the skills to grind out production.
For reference, here was the actual Rivals top 10 for that year:

1. Malcolm Brown

2. James Wilder Jr.

3. Brandon Williams

4. Isaiah Crowell

5. Mike Bellamy

6. Mike Blakely

7. Savon Huggins

8. Aaron Green

9. Kenny Hilliard

10. Davonta Freeman
Abdullah was a 3* Athlete ranked 17th at the position nationally and far outside of the Rivals Top 250.

So, IMO, yes he does have more value than Crowell.

I only ended up getting him in one draft. Most of my picks this year were either really early (1-4) or really late (10-12). 1-4 is too high for Ameer, but in my leagues he wasn't falling to the end of the first. I did have one pick in the middle of the first this year (1.06) and I took him in that league ahead of Parker/Yeldon/DGB/Perriman. I see him as somewhere between Gio Bernard and LeSean McCoy. Given the chance at a high workload this year, I think he's a prime candidate to increase in value significantly during his rookie season. There are almost always 1-2 RBs who do.

Waldman seems really high on him on the podcast.
Was thinking the same thing. I have the utmost respect for Waldman's analysis of RB's and his effusive praise for Abdullah caught my attention. I was already a fan of his talent and landing spot, so his comments pushed me over the edge. I fully expect his value to go up as we get closer to August.

No.

OC comes from NO, the most faithful adherent to committee RB. I think we're looking at 200 carries, generously. Abdullah will have much more value in PPR leagues as he will play the Sproles/Bush role.

Was thinking the same thing. I have the utmost respect for Waldman's analysis of RB's and his effusive praise for Abdullah caught my attention. I was already a fan of his talent and landing spot, so his comments pushed me over the edge. I fully expect his value to go up as we get closer to August.
Part of the reason I've been so confident in my own opinion of Abdullah is how much Waldman agreed with it. Big fan of the RSP. Were you listening to the DLF podcast?

A few videos / plays for a lazy Saturday morning:

Some might remember Nebraska sneaking out a win at home vs Northwestern on a Hail Mary to end the game. However, that play never happens unless Ameer converts a 4th & 15 on a poorly thrown ball against 3 defenders.

One of my favorite plays of his from last season is still this ~9 yard run up the middle against Miami. Abdullah gets small and slips through a tight gap between C/RG and only gets a couple of yards before he's met by #6 Jamal Carter (6'2, 210lb 4* soph. safety) and #52 Denzel Perryman (2015 NFL 2nd round pick). Ameer stops on a dime, absorbs them with his arm/thigh and pops back with a jump cut to the outside before stiff arming his way to a few extra yards. Later in the game, he'd worn Miami's defense out enough to do this.

Then there's this gem of balance from his sophomore year (though he stopped running like that to some degree, too many fumbles contorting like that).

I'll end with a short interview detailing where he's from and his motivation to become a RB.

Bonus interview after the team nearly lost to McNeese State. Good example of why you saw those reports about high character grades.

We haven't drafted our rookies, but I'm pretty sure he will go #4. I could even see him going at #3 over Cooper, but this is a league that hordes RBs.

Part of the reason I've been so confident in my own opinion of Abdullah is how much Waldman agreed with it. Big fan of the RSP. Were you listening to the DLF podcast?

A few videos / plays for a lazy Saturday morning:

Some might remember

Waldman made the comments in an episode of On the Couch with Bloom

waldman also has david cobb 14th overall and mike davis 17th overall. yeldon 7th. he's pretty high on a lot of rbs from this class.

I got him at 1.08 (Reach and over Agholor) in one league while I was very lucky to get him @1.12 in another

Just went 1.04 in our rookie draft. Was planning to trade up from 2.01 to 1.09 if he was still there but he went way earlier than I thought.

I just bumped him ahead of Parker. Abdullah, Parker, Yeldon right now. I'd be happy to get one of them. I hold the 1.10 and we pick tonight. I've been debating Perriman and Agholor, but to be honest I'd wouldn't be shocked if somebody I had ranked in my top 9 slides to me.

Users who are viewing this thread