What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Terrance Williams, WR, Dallas (1 Viewer)

ShamrockPride

Footballguy
11 catches, 222 yards the past 2 weeks.

Anyone think this can become the norm? Does he bump Miles out from that WR2 spot before he even gets back on the field?

Guy looks good, a small dose of stone hands early in his career at times but he's showing more than I think most people had anticipated. I've heard a lot of people referring to him as a one trick pony.

With Dez drawing double every week, this guy has a chance to put up numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is a raw but talented player. Very explosive and successful in college. Definitely a deep threat. He is still learning what he's doing. He does have good hands, but doesn't always read the defense like Romo wants. That was the cause of Romo's first pick this year. He showed a lack of situational awareness at the end of the half against Denver when he didn't get out of bounds and caused the clock to run way down. Very much a rookie mistake. He is still developing his route tree, which was limited in college.

Dallas opened up the offense against the Broncos because they knew they had to. And Williams capitalized on all 4 of his targets. Yes, he had only 4 targets. Think about that.

He is a very strong play in dynasty. This year, his upside is 3-5 targets a game, assuming Dez is healthy. I'm not sure this is the best available WR in redraft. Don't forget, Austin will be back before too long. And Austin is a better receiver this year and will resume the #2 spot. Next year, I think Williams becomes the starter opposite Dez. But not this year.

TW just might never leave the line up.

Austins yards per was pretty abysmal this year and he is 29 with chronic? hammy issues.

Went thru this last night too with another thread (not mine). Community has to learn to let old threads die. Dwayne Harris isn't even in the convo anymore.

But back on topic, I think they give a little more time for Miles. They have a big commitment to him with that contract. They won't give up on him unless TW blows him out of the water...or more likely gets hurt again.

It still has pretty relevant information in it. Just trying to help. :shrug:

"Old thread" Nazis may be more annoying than "new thread" Nazis.

It still has pretty relevant information in it. Just trying to help. :shrug:

"Old thread" Nazis may be more annoying than "new thread" Nazis.
I appreciate that help, I do. Maybe I'm just over-analyzing things, but whenever somebody responds with just a link, it comes off as short and rude to me. But I do appreciate it...

He is a raw but talented player. Very explosive and successful in college. Definitely a deep threat. He is still learning what he's doing. He does have good hands, but doesn't always read the defense like Romo wants. That was the cause of Romo's first pick this year. He showed a lack of situational awareness at the end of the half against Denver when he didn't get out of bounds and caused the clock to run way down. Very much a rookie mistake. He is still developing his route tree, which was limited in college.

Dallas opened up the offense against the Broncos because they knew they had to. And Williams capitalized on all 4 of his targets. Yes, he had only 4 targets. Think about that.

He is a very strong play in dynasty. This year, his upside is 3-5 targets a game, assuming Dez is healthy. I'm not sure this is the best available WR in redraft. Don't forget, Austin will be back before too long. And Austin is a better receiver this year and will resume the #2 spot. Next year, I think Williams becomes the starter opposite Dez. But not this year.
Whew, considered dropping Woods for him. This is why this forum is awesome.

Assuming Austin doesn't suit up, his upside is likely closer to 10 targets a game, seeing as how he had 8 (7/77/0) vs. SD.

I know Miles Austin owners are hypersensitive about defending him, but that guy is toast. Hammies are to WR's what plantar fasciitis is to RB's. Only gets better with rest. And guys with recurring hammies like Austin are a tweak away from re-aggravating it again. Austin will eventually come back, but I'm banking on Williams taking over Austin's old role and never giving it back. Also agree that his ceiling for targets is much higher than some are claiming. 10 targets a week might not be typical, but not unreasonable to expect either.

As a Redskins fan, I'd be remiss to not mention how historically terrible our pass D is this year. Our pass D is having the opposite season that Peyton Manning is. If Miles is out, start this guy this weekend for sure. If Miles is in, who knows?

Assuming Austin doesn't suit up, his upside is likely closer to 10 targets a game, seeing as how he had 8 (7/77/0) vs. SD.
3-5 seems a bit light to me, too (agreed, especially in absence of austin... if he returns, that may well be right)...

the only potential issue with extrapolating from his eight targets (and actually raising from there), that was one of the most prodigious shootouts in league history?

they may want to run more and have more balanced offense some weeks... demarco has been promising for the most part when called on to run more...

on the other hand, if williams continues to grow, he could earn romo's trust to increase his targets...

that is encouraging that he caught seven of his eight targets...

and while romo will throw to dez in double coverage, williams could be open a lot, expected to typically face strictly single coverage against lesser CBs...

i mentioned in cowboys thread that one of the things that has impressed me most is, while some labeled him as limited and one dimensional coming into the league, he not only made the big play over the top for an approx. 70 yard TD, but he is making plays on intermediate passes as well, showing better versatility than advertised... imo, this bodes very well for his future...

ridgelake mentioned route running error that led to INT earlier in the season, but the fact that things went more smoothly in just week five, could be an indicator that he is either a hard worker or a natural, but at any rate, light could be going on...

not sure if baylor prepares WRs well for NFL, or they just recruit great athletes... but kendall wright and josh gordon have also enjoyed early relative success (actually, i think gordon just played for a year, so not sure if that is a a good "profile fit")...

will williams be rosterable/startable in redraft?

possibly as long as austin is out, or if williams play forces him onto the field more, which we will have to wait and see how that plays out when austin returns (will he be full strength when he does, will he reaggravate it?)...

i started him in one league (in a jam with calvin not playing) with the rationale that it could be a shootout and he might get a big play, with austin out...

in dynasty, if romo continues to put up big passing numbers, i think he has higher than top 20 upside (and that is of course factoring in dez bryant's presence, which, as noted, i think could help him in some ways)...

I have Miles and Terrance. If Miles suits up, I will strongly have to consider playing Terrance over Miles, at least in his first game back.

This offense looks like Denver south at the moment, and may be able to support 3 FF WRs and a stud TE with the way the Dallas "defense" is (not) playing.

The 3-5 targets guess is based upon what Austin was receiving prior to getting hurt and what WIlliams has done in his absense. It also includes the 3rd WR role which I think he will be when Austin returns.

That said, yes, it could be light. He has developed some from his early season route struggles. He made some mature adjustments in the Denver game. I'm not sure, however, that the mental mistakes are behind him (e.g. not running out of bounds at the end of the half against Denver).

Could he be a 6-8 per game target guy? I would not rule it out. But I would not bet on it. Maybe 3-5 is low, but 4-6 on average probably isnt.

Another possible factor in play is how Dallas decides to run its offense. It was clear that they were going all out, damn the torpedos, against Denver. They knew they had to score 35+ to stand a chance. Will this continue against teams that they don't feel as threatened by?

Also consider the very large discrepancy between their home games and away games. Under Garrett, and so far under Callahan, they play much closer to the vest away from home and open it up more in the Death Star, er Jerryworld. Does anyone want to bet on a multi-year trend changing suddenly? One can certainly argue the logic of it, opening it up on the road. But I would not count on it until I see it.

not sure about austin's status this week...

hammies can be tricky and linger...

what if williams strings together a month of 100+ yard & TD receiving games, and looks better than austin doing it...

at the least, it will make for a difficult decision for jason/jerry...

it isn't inconceivable, if austin is out for extended period, and williams flashes star potential in his absence, williams could keep the job and not give it back...

DAL would love to have two star WRs (who wouldn't, makes the passing attack specifically and offense in general much harder to defend)...

a few years ago, they hoped it would be austin and bryant...

bryant didn't star immediately... when he really broke out, austin had already begun to break down in 2011-2012 (he actually played well when healthy last year, but he was hurt or impaired a lot)...

so they haven't been able mesh with that plan...

it is starting to look like this is austin's last season in DAL (unless he takes a pay cut... in cowboys thread, i questioned whether they will even ask?)... so there best bet for the two star WR attack is starting to increasingly look like bryant/williams... there could be sense in trying to bring williams up to speed as quickly as possible...

you would hope DAL front office (ie - jerry) and coaching staff start those players that give them best chance to win NOW - they have playoff aspirations... if they think williams is that guy over austin (or a less than 100% austin hagridden by bad hammies), again, not inconceivable he could get nod...

they were apparently very high on him... there scouting department may have assigned a first round grade to him (as some may recall, pictures of how DAL stacked their board surfaced after draft... for a second time, this also happened once before - cowboys a high profile team, not a surprise they would have an ESPN and/or NFL channel camera crew in war room, just a bit surprising they wouldn't be more discrete and catious with camera angles they allow... maybe some teams will employ forensic war room camera image scrubbers to extract critical info, in order to predict what DAL will do in draft? :) )...

a few things austin, WHEN HEALTHY, does better than williams (at least now), is as blocker in run game, where he is well above average i think, and he is a very good slot WR...

when austin returns, no doubt bryant, austin & williams will be on field together often in three WR sets... than it will be interesting to see who gets most WR targets after bryant... or if they are fairly evenly distributed?

Bob, you are right about how Dallas' draft board stacked up. Based upon the leaked board, as well as direct quotes from team brass, they had all three of Frederick, Williams, and the Giants OL Pugh, in the early to mid 20's overall on their board. Escobar was not far away either.

Whew, considered dropping Woods for him. This is why this forum is awesome.
In a redraft, I might rather have Terrance even with Austin due back.

If the Tuel fella is under center for a month or two in BUF, I really don't see Woods realizing much of the potential he's flashed the past few weeks.

I might rather take my chances on Austin getting hurt again (or Williams being productive even with Austin suited up).

Ultimately not sure which I'd prefer, but it looked awfully ugly when Tuel came in the game.

I have both rostered, and I hope that Austin stays out of the lineup - Williams looks explosive, and Miles hasn't looked like that AT ALL this year.

I'm cautious. We've seen this type of meteoric rise from Dallas WR's opposite of Dez. We've also seen them crash down to earth within a few games once they fall out of favor. Williams has already done a few things that have made Romo and coaching staff trust past WR's less. We'll see. I'm not investing but I'm usually the last to want these types of players.

Does Williams have more value in redraft than Harry Douglas or Keenan Allen? In redraft
Question of the year. Any "experts" out there care to comment?
Allen's role is much more cemented in SD than Williams is in DAL. Allen is also more talented. I own both in a couple leagues and value Allen higher.

As for Douglas, I believe he's a middling talent but volume is volume. I would also rank him above Williams for that sole reason (assuming ATL's offense doesn't just straight up implode, which is possible)

Allen - #1 (or #1b with a completely unproven #1a in Brown) and most talented WR on a team that throws a ton. Knee issues held him back at the combine, and he slipped in the draft because of it. If he's over those, and he seems to be, this is the obvious no-brainer pickup.

Williams - #2 for now, could go back to #3 when Austin is back, but might not. Will never be the #1 here, as long as Dez is healthy. Excellent college WR at Baylor (led the nation in receiving ydg in 2012: 97-1,832-12, 18.9-yard average). Still has lots of learning to do, but also lots of upside, would take a chance on him before Douglas. Also, may be the best pickup for this week (vs WAS) depending on Austin's status.

Douglas - slot WR forced into a #2 role on a team that throws a ton, 6th yr in the league, best season 2011: 39-498-1. Has never scored more than 1 TD in a season. Very fast/quick but small (6'0", 183). Unclear if this will end well or not. He can beat nickle CBs, but when starting CBs start paying attention to him, he could disappear. Would not be surprised if he's leapfrogged by Davis, Cone, or a FA, because he is better out of the slot.

I like what I have seen thus far out of Williams, but despite his big game last week, getting only four targets in a game where Romo dropped back nearly 40 times is hard to get excited about; you can't expect 3-145-1 out of a guy every week on only four targets. And who knows how it will pan out when Austin comes back, but I agree with those who said Williams has looked better the last two weeks than Austin did prior to his injury. But Austin knows the offense a lot better, so Williams will likely see his playing time drop.

Could be TY Hilton-esque
Sorry LJ but I watched Hilton down here at FIU, was very aware of him prior to the draft, these 2 guys are nothing alike. Rather than be a total ####### about it, let me just show you the difference if you care.

Hilton is explosive, Williams is really not, a great possession type IMO and a perfect compliment to Dez on the other side IMO. Hilton is a lot smaller than Williams 6-2/210, Hilton is 5-9/180. Williams works the perimeters more than the middle of the field from what I see. I think he has potential and maybe you just were approaching it form a pure FF standpoint, but they really are not close to the same type of player IMO.

Could be TY Hilton-esque
Sorry LJ but I watched Hilton down here at FIU, was very aware of him prior to the draft, these 2 guys are nothing alike. Rather than be a total ####### about it, let me just show you the difference if you care.

Hilton is explosive, Williams is really not, a great possession type IMO and a perfect compliment to Dez on the other side IMO. Hilton is a lot smaller than Williams 6-2/210, Hilton is 5-9/180. Williams works the perimeters more than the middle of the field from what I see. I think he has potential and maybe you just were approaching it form a pure FF standpoint, but they really are not close to the same type of player IMO.
Yep, just meant value-wise.

Williams is definitely interesting. In a league where I have Austin, I was thinking about picking him up since who knows when Miles comes back, and is full strength at that, but I think he's a wildcard. I think Murray has re-emerged as a major part of that offense this year, and in a game DAL doesnt expect Romo to need to throw for 400 let alone 500 to win, he will remain so.

I easily favored Keenan Allen as my pickup this week, in both leagues I own Austin. Who knows how it pays off, but I can see Williams being back on the WW in a few weeks and not be surprised.

I'm giving it a shot out of desperation. Rbs are a mess and I'm starting 4 wrs rhis week. TW vs the Skins seems like a good flex play.

thinking about using #2 waivers on williams... but austin will be back eventually... tough call
I am guessing the boys drafted Williams to replace Austin in the near future. Austin cannot stay healthy and hammys linger and never really heal. Austin has had this issue for several years.I wouldn't be surprised if Williams goes off for a few more games to prove himself, that the cowboys release Austin in the offseason.

Grab Williams if you can because he will be the the 2wr on this team sooner than later.

I just did a quick rundown of the targets/production of the Dallas #2 receiver this year:

Game 1: Austin 12 targets, 10/77/0

Game 2: Austin 4 targets 3/31/0

Game 3: Austin 5 targets 2/22/0

Game 4: WIlliams 8 targets 7/71/0

Game 5: Williams 4 targets 4/151/1

When Williams was the #3 receiver (and Austin #2), he put up the following stats:

Game 1: 4 targets 2/32/0

Game 2: 3 targets 3/28/0

Game 3: 0 targets 0/0/0

The #2 receiver is hit or miss. The #3 is likely not fantasy viable.

I just did a quick rundown of the targets/production of the Dallas #2 receiver this year:

When Williams was the #3 receiver (and Austin #2), he put up the following stats:

Or you could say that Austin as the #2 WR has been hit or miss. Williams as the #2 WR has been a hit.

That's because Witten is such a huge part of the offense.

That's because Witten is such a huge part of the offense.
Obviously, it's more of a dynasty play with Williams, but this offense can support Dez, Witten, and another WR. Maybe it limits his upside somewhat, but Austin racked up 940 yards last year.

In 2011, Laurent Robinson was a very useful fantasy player, even with Austin playing half the season (though Dez hadn't quite become the beast he is now just yet).

Given Terrance being more explosive than Austin, there might be some more upside there (if Austin continues to miss games).

I'm sure the consistency will be lacking, but there's plenty yards and TDs to be had for the #2 WR in this offense.

Disagree that Williams is a dynasty stash. He's in the here and now, and even though he had 4 targets, don't think Jerrah didn't notice what he did with them. Austin is what he is. An injury waiting to happen. Williams targets will expand, and I think he's the Cowboys #2 wideout going forward. Sprinkle in some Austin whenever he's healthy. But Williams role is fantasy relevant now and going forward.

I know Miles Austin owners are hypersensitive about defending him, but that guy is toast. Hammies are to WR's what plantar fasciitis is to RB's. Only gets better with rest. And guys with recurring hammies like Austin are a tweak away from re-aggravating it again. Austin will eventually come back, but I'm banking on Williams taking over Austin's old role and never giving it back. Also agree that his ceiling for targets is much higher than some are claiming. 10 targets a week might not be typical, but not unreasonable to expect either.
I don't see many really defending Austin.

But, just as hypersensitive as Austin owners are.

Those who jumped on board with "the next guy" always seem hypersensitive about the Veternal possibly getting his job back.

Ive dropped Austin outright in one league...held him and Williams now in another.

Id rather Austin come back healthy and I would rely on him as long as he is healthy. He is simply better than Williams.

Does Williams have more value in redraft than Harry Douglas or Keenan Allen? In redraft
Question of the year. Any "experts" out there care to comment?
Top 200 Forward has Terrance Williams at WR77 just below Thomas Lewis and Jason Avant.

"Experts" say 1. Keenan Allen 2. Harry Douglas 3. Terrance Williams.
:thanks:

Last night off waivers I was able to get Williams and drop Tevon Austin. Then, after this post, took a look, saw Kennan as a FA so dropped DeAndre Hopkins for him.

Going to be a weekly juggling act working out match-ups to decide the 2 WR's to start from here on out.

But I feel better about my WR's today then yesterday:

Antonio Brown

Hakeem Nicks

Marques Colston

Keenan Allen

Terrance Williams

:popcorn:

Disagree that Williams is a dynasty stash. He's in the here and now, and even though he had 4 targets, don't think Jerrah didn't notice what he did with them. Austin is what he is. An injury waiting to happen. Williams targets will expand, and I think he's the Cowboys #2 wideout going forward. Sprinkle in some Austin whenever he's healthy. But Williams role is fantasy relevant now and going forward.
I agree. I own him and certainly hope that's the case.

Just accounting for the possibility that Williams' redraft potential could be curbed if Austin can stay on the field.

Miles Austin fully practiced.

We will see exactly what the Cowboys are thinking this week.

I'm guessing they have Austin sit.
I hope so, as I don't think Williams would be worth starting regardless of the match-up. Just looking at a breakdown of the targets/snaps and I don't think the opportunity would be there.

What are you basing that on? Not trying to be snarky, I'm just genuinely puzzled. It seems like if a guy practices fully on Wednesday, he's probably on track to play Sunday. Is there any history of Austin practicing and then not playing?

Would totally love for you to be right, but if it looks like Austin is on track to play, I'll probably drop TW and grab Keenan Allen off the WW. He's not as attractive as a starting TW, and has a tough-ish matchup this week, but is probably better ROS.

I think they'll give TW the start this week. Don't wanna rush a defective hammy back onto the field so they'll be 110% sure before Austin goes back out.

Also, however you may want to look at the stats with snaps, targets, etc., the fact is Williams has produced the past 2 weeks. Why would you take out the guy with the hot hand? At least ride it until he comes back down to Earth.

What are you basing that on? Not trying to be snarky, I'm just genuinely puzzled. It seems like if a guy practices fully on Wednesday, he's probably on track to play Sunday. Is there any history of Austin practicing and then not playing?

Would totally love for you to be right, but if it looks like Austin is on track to play, I'll probably drop TW and grab Keenan Allen off the WW. He's not as attractive as a starting TW, and has a tough-ish matchup this week, but is probably better ROS.
Is he not as attractive because of the deceivingly tough match-up (IND has played bottom ranked passing offenses thus far) or do you have other reasons for believing so? They found themselves in similar situations, yet Allen is more talented and is picking up the snaps/targets of the former WR1 instead of the WR2. Allen was the superior pick-up prior to Austin putting in a full practice.

I think they'll give TW the start this week. Don't wanna rush a defective hammy back onto the field so they'll be 110% sure before he goes back out.

Also, however you may want to look at the stats with snaps, targets, etc., the fact is Williams has produced the past 2 weeks. Why would you take out the guy with the hot hand? At least ride it until he comes back down to Earth.
The problem is opportunity always proceeds production and when Austin was healthy he (Williams) was seeing 40-50% of the snaps instead of the 90% he's seen over the past two weeks. It's not just Austin, but Beasley and Harris (specifically Harris) were also eating into his possible targets. It's a simple case of too many mouths to feed and the odds of him putting up a dud, even in a juicy match-up being far too high (mostly due to variance). Would you feel confident starting a dude who might only come on for three wide sets and likely see sub 5 targets? I doubt it.

Is he not as attractive because of the deceivingly tough match-up (IND has played bottom ranked passing offenses thus far) or do you have other reasons for believing so? They found themselves in similar situations, yet Allen is more talented and is picking up the snaps/targets of the former WR1 instead of the WR2. Allen was the superior pick-up prior to Austin putting in a full practice.
If I knew TW was starting vs. Washington, I think he'd be more attractive this week. But I agree that Allen has always been the better ROS option.

Current productivity for both players. And having a perfect excuse of giving Austin yet another week to heal up -- while you get to see if TW can continue to "show".

Users who are viewing this thread