What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pizzaguys - The definitive "Making pizza at home" thread (1 Viewer)

@WingnutFinally tried the dough recipe you posted to start this thread last night. Awesome! So simple and so much easier to work with than the stuff from the pizza shop. Great flavor too.  I let it ferment for 72 hours. Thanks!

Well, I got the Ooni Fyra yesterday as a total surprise from my kids (wife) for fathers day, so I'm joining the party.  I've been making my own bread for the past couple years and have it down pretty well, after some initial ups/downs.  I use the Ken Forkish method for bread - https://kensartisan.com/flour-water-salt-yeast - so will probably use his recipe for pizza dough to start.  I have an aluminum peel, and have made pizza and foccacia in the past.  It always seemed like way too much work to me, but I'm all-in now and looking forward to it.

Any tips on the Ooni appreciated.  I'm a charcoal/wood guy and am notorious for giving #### to my pellet grill friends and neighbors, but I guess I am crossing over to the dark side now, at least for pizzas.

It may be considered blasphemy around these parts but as a diabetic who had all but given up on pizza due to the carbs the best substitute I have found that is low carb is using mission brand carb balance tortillas as a crust. I put them in the oven solo on high heat for 4 minutes then make pizzas out of them then another 3 to 4 minutes on broil to cook the toppings.  They are actually quite tasty, much better and less carbs than the cauliflower crust  version.  You obviously have to marry the amount of sauce/cheese/toppings to the very thin "crust" for it to remain crispy. Its not as good as the homemade pizza I used to make but sometimes we have to adapt. 

Seeing as how it is Tuesday, we're doing taco pizzas tonight. Kinda excited.

ETA:  Holy cow, these are awesome!  It is a 50/50 mix of refried beans and salsa, a nice queso melting cheese, any type of taco meat you wish, then when it comes out of the oven sprinkle with chopped tomatoes and shredded lettuce.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've officially given up on the Ooni.

Its funny to go through the last pages and see how excited I was. I honestly have no idea how anyone cooks a good pizza in the Ooni. They must be ... well I don't know how they do it. 

Anyway, after trying 35-40 times and getting one slightly edible pizza, I've quit. If anyone in Texas wants to buy a slightly used pizza oven, let me know.

Its funny to go through the last pages and see how excited I was. I honestly have no idea how anyone cooks a good pizza in the Ooni. They must be ... well I don't know how they do it. 

Anyway, after trying 35-40 times and getting one slightly edible pizza, I've quit. If anyone in Texas wants to buy a slightly used pizza oven, let me know.
I saw an Ooni pizza on reddit today that looked $Ted.Danson!

So what are the major issues with it?  I was considering one but hesitant after your feedback (and others from the internet).  I think @krista4 recently bought one (or another brand)?

So what are the major issues with it?  I was considering one but hesitant after your feedback (and others from the internet).  I think @krista4 recently bought one (or another brand)?

I've made some good pizzas on mine, am still learning.  Also curious what issues @whoknew is having.

I posted up on this page - got it for fathers day and have made pizza 3 times since then.  The first time was a disaster (speaking as the cook), but the pizza was edible and my family liked it. The main thing is the planning and prep takes time - its not something we can just decide to do on the spur of the moment.  I make the dough a few days in advance. I make small pizzas (about 250 grams of dough) so there's less weight and its easier to move them around during the cook.  I don't use many ingredients - very light on the cheese and sauce, maybe some salami or sausage.  Its mostly about the crust.

So we've got our home pizza making dialed in to a whole new level.  Lot's of that thanks to this thread and @Wingnut.

We use Wingnut's dough recommendation, fermented for about 72 hours. We top it with a bit of smashed whole San Marzano canned tomatoes.  Nothing added to them.  Then we add a few rough diced sweet onions.  Then Hormel Natural Uncured Pepperoni, and then topped with shredded Poly O mozzerella. Bake in the Bakerstone grill top oven at super hot (probably 800 ish) for 2-3 minutes while rotating every 30 seconds.  Perfection!

And yes, I'm just crazy enough to have tested about every pepperoni and mozzerella combination we could find locally over the last few months.  This combo is "it".

I have had every disaster you can think of with the Ooni. 😁

I want to say at the start that I admit this may partially (or wholly) be a whoknew problem. But if so - well I guess I just suck.

So at first, it was hard to work with the dough. Its very difficult to shape it, it will stick to things, etc. But ultimately - those are issues you can eventually deal with and I got better. My pizzas still look like Sloth from Goonies' head - but at least you can build on top of it.

Second, figuring out how to use the pizza peel correctly is also harder than it looks. The ooni oven opening is very narrow. So you have to be good with the peel. Issues I have had here - dropping the pizza on the ground as I removed it, difficulty rotating the pizza during the cook, and (my favorite) having all of the toppings fall off the pizza as I shoved it into the oven.

Third, the crust. Oh that damn crust. I have no idea how anyone can get the crust fully cooked and not have the cheese and toppings burnt. The ooni is very hot and shoots flames up top. So the top burns quickly. Or, at least, half of it (the part in the back) burns quickly. But the crust takes much longer to complete. So the most common pizza I have cooked is one with a gooey crust, burnt half of the top of the pizza, and cold other half. 

I have tried different flour (including 00), store bought dough, putting it in the oven for a few minutes before putting the toppings on, etc. I have finally settled on - 

1) pre-heat the ooni;

2) Put the dough in the ooni for 60 seconds to partially cook; 

3) put on toppings and get the pizza in the ooni; 

4) Immediately turn off the ooni and let it cook in a still warm but no longer on pizza oven.

This has produced a somewhat edible pizza. Far, far, far inferior to the New York style place 1/2 mile from my house. 

So that's my story. I am a pizza failure. I have given up. I will be buying my pizzas from now on.

Oh - I've also tried buying pre-made pizzas and putting them in the Ooni. That sucked.

I want to say at the start that I admit this may partially (or wholly) be a whoknew problem. But if so - well I guess I just suck.

So at first, it was hard to work with the dough. Its very difficult to shape it, it will stick to things, etc. But ultimately - those are issues you can eventually deal with and I got better. My pizzas still look like Sloth from Goonies' head - but at least you can build on top of it.

Second, figuring out how to use the pizza peel correctly is also harder than it looks. The ooni oven opening is very narrow. So you have to be good with the peel. Issues I have had here - dropping the pizza on the ground as I removed it, difficulty rotating the pizza during the cook, and (my favorite) having all of the toppings fall off the pizza as I shoved it into the oven.

Third, the crust. Oh that damn crust. I have no idea how anyone can get the crust fully cooked and not have the cheese and toppings burnt. The ooni is very hot and shoots flames up top. So the top burns quickly. Or, at least, half of it (the part in the back) burns quickly. But the crust takes much longer to complete. So the most common pizza I have cooked is one with a gooey crust, burnt half of the top of the pizza, and cold other half. 

I have tried different flour (including 00), store bought dough, putting it in the oven for a few minutes before putting the toppings on, etc. I have finally settled on - 

1) pre-heat the ooni;

4) Immediately turn off the ooni and let it cook in a still warm but no longer on pizza oven.

This has produced a somewhat edible pizza. Far, far, far inferior to the New York style place 1/2 mile from my house. 

So that's my story. I am a pizza failure. I have given up. I will be buying my pizzas from now on.

Oh - I've also tried buying pre-made pizzas and putting them in the Ooni. That sucked.
Dude.  I feel your pain.  I have made every single one of those mistakes and more (ever folded a pizza inside the oven getting it off the peel? #### it, we're having mangled calzones tonight.).  It took me a few times to get it acceptable, and a bunch more times to dial it in. @Wingnut's dough recipe and procedure solved the sticky dough issues for me. And my Bakerstone oven came with a long round nosed spatula that they call a pizza turner that has been a great crutch for me to lean on. It can help get the pizza off the peel gently when needed and works great for turning the pizza while in the oven. 

1) pre-heat the ooni;

So I had a lot of those issues myself but learned how to properly flour the dough while stretching (pain in the ### but practice practice practice). Once I transfer to the peel I throw with I make sure it slides around easily after saucing, adding cheese, adding toppings, etc.

For throwing I bought this peel that was acacia wood and was narrow enough to fit inside the oven. After the pizza is made I walk out, making sure to keep shaking the pizza and then put the peel into the oven and slowly shake it off while pulling the peel out. Again lots of practice.

For turning I bought a turner, this one specifically. It made turning the pizza easy peasy. I typically will turn at about 30 seconds and again after another thirty if I need more time on a side.

For pulling the pizza when done I use that turner to slide it on another crappy peel I have that I use for only this purpose and I will cut it on it as well.

Yes, I got the Ooni.  I'm not the cook at my house so can't give any personal experience with making the pizzas, but we've had good luck so far.  We did have to have a "Recovery Calzone" once.  :lol:   I was going to have the cook pop in here to post, but I see there's been a lot of great feedback and advice on this page already.  

I've done probably 30 or 40 pizzas in the past year and still always use parchment paper to transfer from peel to oven. 

my go to dough recipe:

1 3/4 c warm water

2 tsps yeast (I keep SAF instant in the freezer)

1.5 tbs sugar

1 tbs salt

Mix these in stand mixer bowl with spoon. Let stand for 10-15 min for yeast to bubble

3 tbs. olive oil

4-ish cups of flour

Get that dough hook mixing stuff up as I add flour.  Keep adding flour until a ball forms and it's not sticking to sides.

Transfer to bowl that's been coated with olive oil.  Let sit for 20 minutes. Put in fridge for a day or more.  

Makes 4 medium pizzas. 

I have dough in the fridge and as a type this I realize I forgot olive oil in the recipe. We'll have to see what happens. 

For getting the pizza off the peel, I rub a little bit of cornmeal on the peel.  As others have said, I keep shaking the peel while assembling the pizza.  

The one linked in the first post in this topic?  this one --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mxxGrq7PoI&t=362s
I’m going to check this one out.  I had sort of mastered the dough after a lot of trial and error (and lots of disasters).  But for some reason the last few times my dough has ended up too sticky and hard to stretch.  

Some say you should use a little less water during the warm humid months. 

I still tweak here and there but I've pretty much "settled" on my standard cast iron pan pizza routine:

1.5 c flour, yeast, salt, garlic powder, add .75 c water, mix by hand & rest over night.

Oil and salt large cast iron skillet. Stretch dough, place and cover 2ish hours.

Pizza sauce, parmesan, shredded mozz, pepperoni, red onions, green peppers, and other light sprinkle of mozz.

Cook on stovetop high for 2-3 minutes to crisp up bottom, then oven at 550 for 15-17 minutes.

I go back and forth between slices and chunks of the onion and pepper .

I pat out the pepperoni, onions and peppers on paper towels to remove some of the grease and moisture.

Most people don't prefer pan pizza, but if you do this works pretty well and is very simple.

Sort of off-topic...

So, David Portnoy(el presidenti from Barstool Sports) also does pizza reviews.  He goes to different cities and reviews pizza from various pizza joints, and the videos are all over social media.  He tries very hard to come across as fair and partial, with no bias.  However...

Recently, his brand came out with their own frozen pizza.  He has multiple videos out talking about this new frozen pizza, and says how good it is, and how it is the best frozen pizza on the planet, blah blah blah.

It is only sold in Walmart.  I said what the heck, let's have fun and see how it is.  Holy smokes, it is dreadful.  I can think of 4-5 frozen pizza brands off the top of my head that are better than this dreck.  He has totally sold out.  @#$^ him and his reviews.

Sort of off-topic...

So, David Portnoy(el presidenti from Barstool Sports) also does pizza reviews.  He goes to different cities and reviews pizza from various pizza joints, and the videos are all over social media.  He tries very hard to come across as fair and partial, with no bias.  However...

Recently, his brand came out with their own frozen pizza.  He has multiple videos out talking about this new frozen pizza, and says how good it is, and how it is the best frozen pizza on the planet, blah blah blah.

It is only sold in Walmart.  I said what the heck, let's have fun and see how it is.  Holy smokes, it is dreadful.  I can think of 4-5 frozen pizza brands off the top of my head that are better than this dreck.  He has totally sold out.  @#$^ him and his reviews.
His pizza reviews are great.  And the frozen pizza thing is all shtick... great shtick. 

I have been making breakfast pizzas on the ole recteq lately. I use a neopolitan style homemade dough and use homemade sausage gravy as the sauce. Top with cheese, a little bacon, some fresh chopped rosemary, and a add a few cracked eggs towards the end of the cook so the finish sunnyside up style. Then you dip your slices in said yolk once cooked. The smokey flavor from the pellet grill is money. So good. 

Whatcha guys got for breakfast pizza recipes?

I have been making breakfast pizzas on the ole recteq lately. I use a neopolitan style homemade dough and use homemade sausage gravy as the sauce. Top with cheese, a little bacon, some fresh chopped rosemary, and a add a few cracked eggs towards the end of the cook so the finish sunnyside up style. Then you dip your slices in said yolk once cooked. The smokey flavor from the pellet grill is money. So good. 

Whatcha guys got for breakfast pizza recipes?
That sounds amazing. What temp and for how long?

A few weeks ago I joined a Facebook group called "Pizza Snobs".  A lot of it is just people bickering back and forth about pineapple and which city has the best pizza.  Some of the posts are useful, though.  After sifting thru many posts in the group, and looking around on my own, I found two books to be the foundation for making a great pizza at home.

The Pizza Bible by Tony Gemignani  The author is an 11 time world pizza champ and owns several pizza restaurants.

The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish  The author has won the James Beard Award for his book "Flour Water Salt Yeast".

My local library had them, so I grabbed both today.  I have learned a couple of things just by flipping thru them now.  Looking forward to reading and experimenting.  I'm sure I will be posting my findings here in the next few weeks.

Made my first pizza last night on the Weber kettle. It was just store bought dough but it turned out decent.  I'm using a cast iron pizza pan that I'm preheating. 

My biggest issue is I don't have a peel. We assembled the pie on a floured pizza stone. I took the heated CI pan out, moved the pie, with some degree of difficulty to the CI pan, then put the CI pan back in. 

Is there a better substitute for the peel? I let the dough come up to almost room temp, is that the problem?

Made my first pizza last night on the Weber kettle. It was just store bought dough but it turned out decent.  I'm using a cast iron pizza pan that I'm preheating. 

My biggest issue is I don't have a peel. We assembled the pie on a floured pizza stone. I took the heated CI pan out, moved the pie, with some degree of difficulty to the CI pan, then put the CI pan back in. 

Is there a better substitute for the peel? I let the dough come up to almost room temp, is that the problem?
Not sure this is helpful to your question, but if you’re using a cast iron pan, this recipe is a good one. https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/crispy-cheesy-pan-pizza-recipe

Im a big fan of the KingArthur baking recipes. this was their 2020 Recipe of the Year. 

I've been baking pizzas on my Kamado Joe for about 6-7 years with good results but thinking about getting a dedicated pizza oven.   I'm looking at the Gozney Dome and wondering if anyone else has one?

Made a few pizzas last weekend for the first time in months. 

They were my worst pizzas yet. The dough didn't turn out right and I couldn't stretch it  without it cracking. Also, I was using huge chunks of lump charcoal and it didn't burn even, so one side of the grill was hotter and I had to open the lid and turn the pies a few times, which affects the cooking temps...it just was one of those times where nothing went right. 

All that said, they still tasted pretty good...they just weren't incredible as usual 😁

It's been said a few times but maybe worth mentioning again. Parchment paper is your friend.

I cook pizzas on an XL Big Green Egg. Can't wait to try some of the dough recipes in here. I usually buy Trader Joe's dough. It's ok. 

We like thin, thin, thin crust. Presume these dough recipes can be rolled pretty thin?

It's been said a few times but maybe worth mentioning again. Parchment paper is your friend.

I cook pizzas on an XL Big Green Egg. Can't wait to try some of the dough recipes in here. I usually buy Trader Joe's dough. It's ok. 

We like thin, thin, thin crust. Presume these dough recipes can be rolled pretty thin?

The neapolitan dough recioe I posted the link to earlier in the thread is the only one I use, I stretch it (no rolling pins for this dough) paper thin. It's not a real crispy crust, there's usually a little char on the bottom and the crust has a little chew to it.

I do all my pizzas on a kamado as well (Akorn), I use an infrared thermometer and I usually put the pizza on my stone (with parchment paper) when the stone hits 700°. After about 30 seconds I pull the paper and turn the pie if necessary. About another minute, minute and a half and it's done.

I have never heard of this before.
---------------
Matt Miller
@nfldraftscout

We found a local pizza place that does this wood fired pepperoni with hot honey 🐝🍯drizzled on it and I’m unfortunately addicted to it. Throwing this out there for anyone coming through Joplin. Check out Woody’s Woodfired Pizza.

---------------
Matt Miller
@nfldraftscout

We found a local pizza place that does this wood fired pepperoni with hot honey 🐝🍯drizzled on it and I’m unfortunately addicted to it. Throwing this out there for anyone coming through Joplin. Check out Woody’s Woodfired Pizza.
We discovered it a few years back and have kept a bottle at home since: https://mikeshothoney.com/products/mikes-hot-honey-original-extra-hot-combo

---------------
Matt Miller
@nfldraftscout

Its pretty popular at pizza places around here.

---------------
Matt Miller
@nfldraftscout

Just placed my order. Never heard of this stuff before today.

---------------
Matt Miller
@nfldraftscout

It's great. We have been using it for over a year.

---------------
Matt Miller
@nfldraftscout

It's great. We have been using it for over a year.
Trader Joe's also has a version of Hot Honey pretty similar to Mike's. You can make your own with a little Apple Cider Vinegar and hot pepper flakes, but I find it annoying to mess with honey.

Stuff is good on roasted brussel sprouts or veggie. Little bit goes a long way.

Got an Ooni Koda 12. Not optimistic after reading this thread that I can make anything edible the first few times but the family loves pizza so figure it may be worth it.

Got an Ooni Koda 12. Not optimistic after reading this thread that I can make anything edible the first few times but the family loves pizza so figure it may be worth it.
It’s really not bad. I have a Bertello (sp?) and the one thing I bought after some good and meh experiences was the gas attachment. You won’t get quite as wood fired feel but for non-chefs it makes the cooking part much easier. Managing the wood and cooking multiple pizzas was a PIA. Gas is a set it, get it to temp and then barely touch it.

A couple things I’d recommend, there are some decent store bought doughs. Publix is decent and local pizza places sometimes sell it. Make the pizzas on the thin side. The crust will expand and it can be undercooked even if the rest is done and you’ll burn it if you leave it in longer. We use semolina flour which seems to work better than regular flour in terms of not sticking and not burning. After stretching, put toppings on after putting stretched dough on the peel. Peels are cheap so I have 3 and a smaller one for turning the pizzas while cooking. That’s leta you make multiple pizzas as a family and put them in as soon as the prior one is done. Helps speed up the process.

It’s really not bad. I have a Bertello (sp?) and the one thing I bought after some good and meh experiences was the gas attachment. You won’t get quite as wood fired feel but for non-chefs it makes the cooking part much easier. Managing the wood and cooking multiple pizzas was a PIA. Gas is a set it, get it to temp and then barely touch it.

A couple things I’d recommend, there are some decent store bought doughs. Publix is decent and local pizza places sometimes sell it. Make the pizzas on the thin side. The crust will expand and it can be undercooked even if the rest is done and you’ll burn it if you leave it in longer. We use semolina flour which seems to work better than regular flour in terms of not sticking and not burning. After stretching, put toppings on after putting stretched dough on the peel. Peels are cheap so I have 3 and a smaller one for turning the pizzas while cooking. That’s leta you make multiple pizzas as a family and put them in as soon as the prior one is done. Helps speed up the process.

We did more last night and they turned out great. We used the dough and sauce recipes from this thread - super easy and both made a huge difference. We made 8 pies last night and everybody seemed to love them.

ETA - I forgot to post that we did some Sunday using store bought dough and sauce - like I mentioned, homemade was a big improvement and it was just our 2nd time.

Last edited:
Dont have an ooni, but have the walmart knock off.

A while back I started making crusts from scratch and then par-baking them in my regular oven first.

We like to load our pizzas up and I was finding that the mass of pizza was just too much for the stone and it would cool it too much. Also in order to keep the back from burning I was rotating it like crazy and obviously letting too much heat escape.

Users who are viewing this thread