What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preseason Game Observations (1 Viewer)

Chudzinski designed the offense around Newton. The new OC says they except him to make more plays from the pocket. All I needed to hear to stay far away from Carolina this year.
When they started winning last year that was the gameplan (and Cam benefited in fantasy as well)

The players this year have not said many positive things about Chud

Chudzinski designed the offense around Newton. The new OC says they except him to make more plays from the pocket. All I needed to hear to stay far away from Carolina this year.
When they started winning last year that was the gameplan (and Cam benefited in fantasy as well)

Please expand. I love hearing more informed points of view. Maybe I've been looking at this wrong.

Agree. This is good news for Newton owners. The offense was broken when it relied so heavily on the option read, and it really hurt Newton's numbers.

Please expand. I love hearing more informed points of view. Maybe I've been looking at this wrong.
It seemed like a natural to use the read option, but when they changed the offense, and went to more traditional running plays, and let Cam run out of the shotgun and on draws, Cam's numbers took off.

How about that DeAngello 'they actually gave him a fifty million dollar contract' Williams.

12 for 39 (3.2 ypc, 2.8 if you remove his longest carry of 8 yards) and a reception for 3 yards.

I feel so bad for Panthers fans, go after some weapons, give Newton a chance...
DeAngelo's YPC was 4.0 if you remove his shortest carry of -5 yards.
:goodposting:

Those "take away [blank]" calls are downright stupid. They happened, why take them away?
Because people who have a strong suit in math are aware of a thing called outliers to create the normal range. Not saying it is appropriate in FF but that is what draws people to these statements.
Then shouldn't you also remove the outlier on the other side?

How about that DeAngello 'they actually gave him a fifty million dollar contract' Williams.

12 for 39 (3.2 ypc, 2.8 if you remove his longest carry of 8 yards) and a reception for 3 yards.

Guessing you didn't watch this game? There was at least 3 plays where as soon as the ball touched Dwills hands he was being tackled, run blocking was mostly atrocious in this game. I am not saying he is a world beater, but those stats were not all on him. Unless one or the other gets hurt, this looks like a situation to avoid in most cases.
The problem is coaching. The Carolina coaches are some of the dumbest in the game. If DeAngelo is in the game, he's running the ball. Everyone knows it. That's why he gets blown up repeatedly.
Don't they have a whole new Offensive set of coaches? There are two sets of dummies? And the old dummy is now the HC of the team with TRICH, who everyone is slobbering over?

At some point, I think we have to point a finger at something else. I don't think its talent of any player or any unit, I just think its a very hard group to mesh. With Cam, you want him in space but that is counter to the strengths of JSTEW and DWIL in other aspects. You might (just pulling a name out of a hat) be able to put a guy like Darren Sproles in this backfield and create a god. YOu might be able to put JSTEW on the Jets and DWIL with the Colts and create two more.

None of them are short of great players but they just do not mesh well as it stands.
J Stew was injured games 12-16

Deangelo's numbers week 12-16

12car 67yards

17car 57yards 2rec 56yards 1 REC TD

22car 93yards 2rec 51yards 1 REC TD

10car 19yards 2rec 29yards (lots of Tolbert vs Oak, up by 11 at half)

21car 210yards 1rec 3yards 2RUS TDS

Maybe not godly numbers but certainly relevant if Stewart does not return to action.

In 11 and 12, it was a sub par oline with a QB reliant offense and QB reliant goalline rush plays (split between 2 backs). The sub par oline is still there but I doubt we see the other 2 things.

Those "take away [blank]" calls are downright stupid. They happened, why take them away?
you can make the argument a 5 yd loss has absolutely nothing to do with the RBs ability

Because people who have a strong suit in math are aware of a thing called outliers to create the normal range. Not saying it is appropriate in FF but that is what draws people to these statements.
Then shouldn't you also remove the outlier on the other side?
I don't know. I was just answering the question. I don't generally do this outlier stuff unless I have a strong reason to support why I think it is an outlier.

you can make the argument a 5 yd loss has absolutely nothing to do with the RBs ability
I see where you're going but then you could also make the argument that a positive gain has more to do with the OL than the person toting the rock. It may not be a valid argument but you could still make it.

Either way, taking out outliers for fantasy purposes doesn't make sense in my book. Carry on.

I think it's because people with an agenda find a way to manufacture "stats" to support it.

When was the last time somebody took away from BOTH the top and bottom? No, they don't do that, they take away a player's best performances (runs, games, years, whatever) and just pretend like they didn't happen for no particular reason

When was the last time somebody took away from BOTH the top and bottom?
To calculate score? Never, but this is a discussion about projections, predictions, and expected values. Considering what is and what isn't an outlier is an intelligent thing to do. Again, I recommend the 1.5(IQR) rule. Here's a link if you would like to learn more about it.

No, they don't do that, they take away a player's best performances (runs, games, years, whatever) and just pretend like they didn't happen for no particular reason
[SIZE=12.222222328186035px]Nobody isn't saying that something didn't happen. Outliers are a basic statistics concept. Considering whether or not something is an outlier or not is a basic statistical concept when trying to create a reasonable range of expected values. Isn't that what's important here? Trying to consider what's reasonable for future performance based on past production?[/SIZE]

Hooper31 said:
nirad3 said:
I haven't dealt with quartiles since 4-square in elementary school.
We use them all the time in the AP Statistics classes I teach.

That said, I just draft based on jersey color anyways so I guess this is all moot.
Well, there you go. Good luck with that.
That's awesome. Am I supposed to be impressed?

And I don't need luck. I have teal. And some dark blue mixed in for good measure. Thanks anyways.

nirad3 said:
Ghost Rider said:
Run It Up said:

Then don't read it? Point remains 3.2 is still abysmal. Also, for those that have suggested, yes I'm guilty of not watching the CAR v PHI game, I watched the whip around coverage and saw only about half of DWills snaps, and he looked awful - pardon me if he looked really good on 10% of his carries.

That's awesome. Am I supposed to be impressed?
You mentioned using quartiles in elementary school. Why was that? It sounded like you were dismissing the notion as beneath any serious study. I think quartiles in understanding what is and what isn't an outlier is a good idea. Or you could just go by jersey color and randomly piss on someone else's ideas to entertain yourself.

I like Blatnick. The Bills actually have a lot of young talent at the LB position all of a sudden. Kind of wish they hadn't gotten the TD there though. I want to see more of the offense. The defense has played really well so far though outside a few dumb penalties.

Phil Dawson may be worth a second to last round draft this year. Feels like he will repeat Akers season from a few years ago

Blount actually looks decent out there

Amendola will be a PPR beast

Last edited by a moderator:
The Patriots are for sure going ground and pound with all the missing pieces from last year and Brady nursing a bad knee

Amendola killing it. He's going to blow by his current ADP if he stays healthy this season.
Probably need some flashing red lights on the word "IF"
I don't know man those injuries were kind of fluky. I don't see how he's any more susceptible than other players.
i go by the ian fleming principle...

“Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action”

Anyone else think that until Gronk returns, starting ANYONE on the Pats outside of Brady and Amendola is risky? Even Ridley and Vereen? Hot hand every week is how it's gonna be.

doug martin shaken up on making a cut block. looks like he got knee'd in the head. TB oline is getting dominated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread