What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Anthony Richardson, IND (2 Viewers)

Just saw the first mock draft that had him going first overall (via a Bears trade with the Colts). Was kind of surprised at that. Think it was a CBS mock.

Zareh Kantzabedian @ZKantzFF
Anthony Richardson threw for 50 air yards here without fully clearing his hips, lead arm, and back shoulder. This is a testament to arm strength.

Also, honorable mention to Richardson’s top-to-bottom textbook mechanics, from the drop back to the hitch.
So not "fully clearing his hips, lead arm, and back shoulder." is considered textbook mechanics?

Asking for a friend.

Just saw the first mock draft that had him going first overall (via a Bears trade with the Colts). Was kind of surprised at that. Think it was a CBS mock.
No f-n way
I haven’t seen him 1.01 yet, but I’ve seen 2 with the Colts taking Levis at 1.04 & a couple with the Colts taking AR 1.04

I don’t believe any of it.

No f-n way
I haven’t seen him 1.01 yet, but I’ve seen 2 with the Colts taking Levis at 1.04 & a couple with the Colts taking AR 1.04

Oh, I believe someone mocked him there.

I don’t believe any NFL team is going to take him there.

I’m not familiar with Chris Trapasso, but controversial mock drafts get more clicks. It’s that time of year. Color me skeptical.

ETA: this mock is nuts. I don’t see either AR or Levis going before Stroud either.

ETA: I love Bijan to the Eagles, Flowers to the Chiefs, & JSN to the Vikes though.

No f-n way

It'll be interesting, because Ballard's history suggests he likes toolsy players, but Irsay likely wants a guy ready to go week 1. Steichen is a wild card. How much will he care about mobility as Hurts is a big reason he has a HC job? Or will he prefer something else entirely?

I do think it'd be a major upset if Richardson fell lower than 12, and it wouldn't blow my mind if he were the 1st QB off the board. He's certainly got the highest ceiling, and all it takes is 1 team thinking they can develop him. Logic would suggest that its more likely to be by a HC or GM with job security.

No f-n way

It'll be interesting, because Ballard's history suggests he likes toolsy players, but Irsay likely wants a guy ready to go week 1. Steichen is a wild card. How much will he care about mobility as Hurts is a big reason he has a HC job? Or will he prefer something else entirely?

I do think it'd be a major upset if Richardson fell lower than 12, and it wouldn't blow my mind if he were the 1st QB off the board. He's certainly got the highest ceiling, and all it takes is 1 team thinking they can develop him. Logic would suggest that its more likely to be by a HC or GM with job security.
Everyone but the NFL was high on Willis and Coral too. I'm not sure if AR will go in the 1st round or not, but I do know the Colts will not want a project, they want someone that will develop reasonably fast. If they want a project and "their guy" is not there at #4, then draft other needs at #4 and take Hooker in the 2nd round and sign another veteran as a stop gap until Hooker is ready. Whatever they do they shouldn't trade future draft capital to move up to #1. They have other needs (OL, WR, and safety) that can't be solved by a QB, whoever it is.

No f-n way

Everyone but the NFL was high on Willis and Coral too. I'm not sure if AR will go in the 1st round or not, but I do know the Colts will not want a project, they want someone that will develop reasonably fast. If they want a project and "their guy" is not there at #4, then draft other needs at #4 and take Hooker in the 2nd round and sign another veteran as a stop gap until Hooker is ready. Whatever they do they shouldn't trade future draft capital to move up to #1. They have other needs (OL, WR, and safety) that can't be solved by a QB, whoever it is.
Were they? I don't recall anyone credible saying Corral was a 1st rounder, and nobody credible had Willis any higher than the Steelers pick. Richardson is a better prospect than either of those guys.

If the Colts stay at #4, I think QB is probably 50-50. Probably would be teams wanting to jump into Arizona's spot at #3 to get ahead of Indy, and other than the Bears it makes more sense for the Cards to move down than anyone.

There was plenty
No f-n way

Were they? I don't recall anyone credible saying Corral was a 1st rounder, and nobody credible had Willis any higher than the Steelers pick. Richardson is a better prospect than either of those guys.

If the Colts stay at #4, I think QB is probably 50-50. Probably would be teams wanting to jump into Arizona's spot at #3 to get ahead of Indy, and other than the Bears it makes more sense for the Cards to move down than anyone.

I think there was a lot of discussion of 3-5 qbs going round 1

No f-n way

He seems to be a terrible passer to me and I question his mental makeup. Did you see him mentally implode against KY?

No f-n way

He seems to be a terrible passer to me and I question his mental makeup. Did you see him mentally implode against KY?
He had a bad game against Kentucky for sure. Every QB had at least 1 bad game except for Young.

I don't see a terrible passer. I see a guy who throws a great deep ball, who needs lots of work on his short accuracy, but that's a lot easier to develop than size/speed/arm strength, which Richardson has as much of as ANY NFL QB. Any team that drafts him and asks him to run a Drew Brees or Tom Brady offense deserves to lose. Put him in a Josh Allen/Jalen Hurts like role, and I bet teams will be happy. He'll never be a 70% passer, even 65% is highly unlikely, but with some work, I think 60 is doable.

I don't see any issues with his mental makeup at all. I see a guy who sometimes tried to do too much on a team that didn't have a lot of talent around him. O'Cyrus Torrence is the only player on Florida's offense who would have also started at Ohio State. Not that I'm arguing Richardson>Stroud, but its amazing to me how much credit Stroud gets when 9 of the 11 starters on OSU's offense will probably be at least day 2 picks, not counting guys like Wilson and Olave a year ago, where Richardson had a really good Guard and that's about it. Same thing applies to Levis in my opinion too.

Yeah it’s helpful to be considering surrounding talent and strength of schedule. He didn’t put up big stats, but he was also on a middling SEC team with a very tough schedule. Played a tougher schedule than Lamar/Josh Allen. Didn’t have a cast around him like Hurts or Burrow or like Stroud.

If he gets taken by the Colts, I’m intrigued. Giants get him, I’m all in. Raiders or Panthers or Saints are not as interesting.

I see a guy who throws a great deep ball,
He has a very strong arm but I am not sure he throws a great deep ball. He can throw a pretty ball deep but the 3-4 game films I watched don't really suggest he was throwing his guys open 30+ yards down field.

Considering those are low % throws to begin with I have trouble putting high 1st round value on a player that is wildly inconsistent (inaccurate) in the short to intermediate game, where the vast majority of passing action takes place in the NFL.

He has the kind of measurables that make coaches salivate for sure, but he is incredibly raw and wildly inconsistent. IMO he is just as likely to be a coach killer as a franchise savior.

If he ends up with the Giants or Chiefs I would have incredibly high hopes for him but I am not sure which other franchises have coaches in place who could turn this this guy into a consistent NFL QB.

All that being said, I think he is absolutely a worthwhile prospect in the late teens to early 2nd round.

He has a very strong arm but I am not sure he throws a great deep ball. He can throw a pretty ball deep but the 3-4 game films I watched don't really suggest he was throwing his guys open 30+ yards down field.

Considering those are low % throws to begin with I have trouble putting high 1st round value on a player that is wildly inconsistent (inaccurate) in the short to intermediate game, where the vast majority of passing action takes place in the NFL.

He has the kind of measurables that make coaches salivate for sure, but he is incredibly raw and wildly inconsistent. IMO he is just as likely to be a coach killer as a franchise savior.

If he ends up with the Giants or Chiefs I would have incredibly high hopes for him but I am not sure which other franchises have coaches in place who could turn this this guy into a consistent NFL QB.

All that being said, I think he is absolutely a worthwhile prospect in the late teens to early 2nd round.

Haven’t watched enough of Richardson’s film to form an opinion. But just glancing over his PFF profile:
  • Run Grade 84.8 7th/112 qualifying QBs
  • Pass Grade 70.5 136th/269
Then the draft guide shows:
  • Intermediate Passing 85.8
  • Deep Passing 93.1
  • No Pressure 84.5
  • Pressure grade 41.9
For comparison, those last 4 for other QBs:
  • Young - 94.2-95.0-93.2-67.5
  • Levis - 67.4-70.0-71.7-54.1
  • Stroud - 75.3-94.2-92.9-43.9
As I said, haven’t seen him play enough. His 6 highest graded games were Utah (82.1), Tennessee (78.6), Eastern Washington (94.2), LSU (76.0), Texas A&M (86.2), and Vanderbilt (84.7).

edit - formatting

As I said, haven’t seen him play enough
Neither has anyone else. He hasn't played a lot. It's a concern. it's not a death sentence, but I would rather have three years of performance for people to look at.

Don't believe a word you hear from NFL coaches, GMs or scouts...or "sources" this time of year
We aren't even hearing THAT yet.

I don't really pay attention to mocks until after the combine. They are really just page views for websites for the true draft junkies. Which is fine, and everyone KNOWS that they are fluff clickbait, but after consuming a bunch of mocks, everyone starts assuming players are gonna go in certain areas.

When I look at where Lamar and Jalen went, and I hear top 10 for ARIch, I'm like....for real?

No f-n way

Haven’t watched enough of Richardson’s film to form an opinion. But just glancing over his PFF profile:
  • Deep Passing 93.1
  • No Pressure 84.5
  • Pressure grade 41.9
As I said, haven’t seen him play enough. His 6 highest graded games were Utah (82.1), Tennessee (78.6), Eastern Washington (94.2), LSU (76.0), Texas A&M (86.2), and Vanderbilt (84.7).

edit - formatting
From what I’ve been reading from scouts/‘sperts, the issue isn’t his arm strength so much as his stubbornness.

If a deep shot is called, it doesn’t matter if the receiver is in triple coverage, that ball is going deep.

Maybe that’s coachable, maybe not. I’d think if it was, they’d have coached it out of him by now.

Also consistency/accuracy at all levels has been suggested as a weakness by some. He reportedly will make an unbelievable throw followed by an unbelievably bad throw.

Take these all with a grain of salt, because I’ve only seen clips of his play and as such am an unreliable narrator, as they say.

Can’t remember which podcast it was but someone was watching all of one of his WRs targets to evaluate said WR and the tape was absolutely awful on a large amount of the throws. Like not even close - balls sailing 10-15 yards past the WR in a different postcode repeatedly.

I think he should have stayed in college another year for more experience and developing himself.

I don’t trust a hell of a lot of NFL teams to properly develop what is an enormous project, with good coaching, and also not rush him into starting before he is ready.

IF he gets high draft capital he will retain his value for a good while in superFlex, but I don’t like his odds to succeed tbh

Last edited:
Like not even close - balls sailing 10-15 yards past the WR in a different postcode repeatedly.
I saw this more than a few times in the 3-4 game films I watched.

He throws a tight spiral and I saw some nice tear drop passes too but some of his misses were shockingly off target. And no, not to avoid the rush or a defender squatting on the route.

Not a player I am looking forward to more at the combine. Just feels like every throw will unleash a fresh torrent of Twitter garbage. Really looking forward to that train wreck

As a fan of a team without a QB (sorry Stidham) QB workouts and such will be really fun to watch.

Not a player I am looking forward to more at the combine. Just feels like every throw will unleash a fresh torrent of Twitter garbage. Really looking forward to that train wreck

As a fan of a team without a QB (sorry Stidham) QB workouts and such will be really fun to watch.
Yup. As a long suffering Raider fan as well, Richardson is a guy I am following very closely.

The Terrell Pryor comparison feels closest to me. Pryor was more accurate, but not in his first season as a full time starter. And Pryor never got a fair shake as an NFL QB. I think, in today's NFL (only a dozen years removed from Pryor's time) Pryor would easily be a top 5 pick in most years and, relative to the 2023 class of QBs would be the unquestionable #1 pick.

The problem is Pryor played in ~39 college games for a team that went 33-6 during his tenure and he threw 783 passes over that span. Richardson has played in 19 games on a team that went 12-14 and has thrown 391 career passes. If he has Pryor level ability in the 2023 NFL, may be open to the Raiders taking him at 1.7. However the film I have watched makes me very skeptical he has Pryor's ability as a passer, based on college experience Pryor was a 65% passer in his final season at OSU, on 323 passes, with an 8.6 y/a.

It is a big assumption so suggest Richardson can make the soph to junior jump that Pryor did.

Yup. As a long suffering Raider fan as well, Richardson is a guy I am following very closely.

The Terrell Pryor comparison feels closest to me. Pryor was more accurate, but not in his first season as a full time starter. And Pryor never got a fair shake as an NFL QB. I think, in today's NFL (only a dozen years removed from Pryor's time) Pryor would easily be a top 5 pick in most years and, relative to the 2023 class of QBs would be the unquestionable #1 pick.

The problem is Pryor played in ~39 college games for a team that went 33-6 during his tenure and he threw 783 passes over that span. Richardson has played in 19 games on a team that went 12-14 and has thrown 391 career passes. If he has Pryor level ability in the 2023 NFL, may be open to the Raiders taking him at 1.7. However the film I have watched makes me very skeptical he has Pryor's ability as a passer, based on college experience Pryor was a 65% passer in his final season at OSU, on 323 passes, with an 8.6 y/a.

It is a big assumption so suggest Richardson can make the soph to junior jump that Pryor did.
He seems more like JaMarcus Russell then Terrelle Pryor.

the combine, and ensuing hype, will be fascinating to watch.

What about Richardson is similar to Russell? Russell was a 6-6 265 pounder who was completely immobile, Richardson is 6-4 230 and runs a 4.4.

Russell also had an amazing supporting cast consisting of Dwayne Bowe, Craig Davis (1st round), Early Doucet (3rd round) and Brandon LaFell (3rd round). Richardson has nobody who will be drafted.

What about Richardson is similar to Russell? Russell
The fact that several folks on YouTube & Twitter have said “he can throw 60 yards from his knees” as though that comes up a lot in games.
I remember that being a Kyle Boller blurb back in the day.

I don't think its meant to be taken literally. Even if kneel downs may have actually been among Russell's best plays.

I think Jamarcus is a terrible comp. Jamarcus.was a statue in the pocket. Jamarcus had 79 yards rushing on 139 attempts in college. Jamarcus was a Drew Bledsoe clone without the work ethic.

I think Jamarcus is a terrible comp. Jamarcus.was a statue in the pocket. Jamarcus had 79 yards rushing on 139 attempts in college. Jamarcus was a Drew Bledsoe clone without the work ethic.
See above: it was tongue in cheek.

The only comp is the hype that he “can throw 60 yards from his knees”, which was said over and over again about Jamarcus before the Raiders drafted him. It’s a nod to the hype he’s getting based on 1 attribute, while his significant warts are being glossed over to push him into 1st round consideration, which IMO would be a massive mistake.

It was not intended as a serious comp for ARich. Your Pryor comp was significantly better.

Jokes aside, I don’t think he will be as good as Terell Pryor could have been.

You could have a blast just finding Richardson posts on social media and just keep commenting, "Getting major JaMarcus vibes here".

Be hilarious to have Raider fans and social justice warriors both going crazy. Maybe you can work animal lovers into the mix. "IF Richardson wins a playoff game, I will eat my kitten"

You could have a blast just finding Richardson posts on social media and just keep commenting, "Getting major JaMarcus vibes here".

Be hilarious to have Raider fans and social justice warriors both going crazy. Maybe you can work animal lovers into the mix. "IF Richardson wins a playoff game, I will eat my kitten"
…and wash it down with purple drank.

See above: it was tongue in cheek.

The only comp is the hype that he “can throw 60 yards from his knees”, which was said over and over again about Jamarcus before the Raiders drafted him. It’s a nod to the hype he’s getting based on 1 attribute, while his significant warts are being glossed over to push him into 1st round consideration, which IMO would be a massive mistake.

It was not intended as a serious comp for ARich. Your Pryor comp was significantly better.

Jokes aside, I don’t think he will be as good as Terell Pryor could have been.
Didn't see the joke. My bad.

I pointed out Kyle Boller throwing 60 yards from his knees, in here, or the Raiders thread, a couple weeks ago. But it's a foolish comparison as Richardson brings far more tools to the table than Boller or Jamarcus ever had.

I am on the record, multiple times as being highly skeptical of Richardson reaching his perceived ceiling, for weeks, in multiple threads, but his raw tools far surpass anything guys like Jamarcus or Boller ever brought to the table.

I don't remember who brought it up but the instant I saw someone make Pryor comp it was obvious. I wish we had more info on him because Pryor came off a questionable sophomore year and followed up with a great senior season. Richardson is just questionable ATM.

But the Pryor comp makes him much more interesting.

If he gets drafted in the first round (which he will) he's not sitting for years to "develop". That doesn't happen nowadays.

At worst he'll sit most of his rookie season playing in certain packages. If the team he's drafted to is out of playoff contention he'll be starting at the end of year 1.

If they aren't mentally tough enough to make mistakes and learn on the field they likely won't ever pan out. Better to find out early.

If he gets drafted in the first round (which he will) he's not sitting for years to "develop". That doesn't happen nowadays.

At worst he'll sit most of his rookie season playing in certain packages. If the team he's drafted to is out of playoff contention he'll be starting at the end of year 1.

If they aren't mentally tough enough to make mistakes and learn on the field they likely won't ever pan out. Better to find out early.
That would be a serious mistake. It could ruin him. I've seen him mentally fall apart and that would most likely hurt him mentally.

That would be a serious mistake. It could ruin him. I've seen him mentally fall apart and that would most likely hurt him mentally.
If a team is afraid he's gonna mentally fall apart when faced with adversity they won't draft him. You can't waste 2 years of a QB on their rookie deal if you invested a top 15 draft pick on them.

Good or bad he'll be starting by year 2 at the latest. Likely end of his rookie year if his team is out of contention.

If a team is afraid he's gonna mentally fall apart when faced with adversity they won't draft him. You can't waste 2 years of a QB on their rookie deal if you invested a top 15 draft pick on them.

Good or bad he'll be starting by year 2 at the latest. Likely end of his rookie year if his team is out of contention.
You can if you draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Are we really judging him entirely based off the Kentucky game?

By that standard it's too late because he's already ruined.

I guess CJ Stroud is garbage, because he played every bit as bad as Richardson did against Kentucky against a FAR worse Northwestern team, with FAR more talent around him.

• Deep Passing 93.1
  • No Pressure 84.5
  • Pressure grade 41.9

edit - formatting

Pressure grades stand out to me for this class of 1st round prospects as being mediocre to ****.

No, but it does show a lack of mental toughness and loss of composure. Is that teachable?

Users who are viewing this thread