What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Seahawks are answering trade calls on Russell Wilson. 

Russini reports the Seahawks are not actively "shopping" Wilson, but that they are picking up when other teams call. That puts them a step ahead of the Texans, who are reportedly sending interested Deshaun Watson parties straight to voicemail. Russini confirms Wilson is "not happy" in Seattle. Instead of dying down, this story keeps gaining new dimensions. It is still a "believe it when you see it," but it is notable this was not immediately extinguished.  
The #Seahawks are not happy with QB Russell Wilson situation, per @MikeSilver. Silver also added that Seattle are expected to listen to offers from Wilson’s preferred teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears "have prioritized" making a run at Russell Wilson.

Biggs is the Bears' ace beat writer and has been covering the club for a long time, so his words carry weight. Chicago's focus is on upgrading its quarterback spot with Mitchell Trubisky now headed to free agency and Nick Foles an obvious non-answer at the position. GM Ryan Pace and coach Matt Nagy need to swing big, and landing Wilson would obviously qualify. Wilson's agent said he'd accept a trade to four teams, and the Bears were on that list along with the Saints, Cowboys, and Raiders. New Orleans is in a salary-cap nightmare. Dallas seems intent on retaining Dak Prescott. And the Raiders haven't yet wavered in their support of Derek Carr. With the Seahawks "answering" calls on Wilson, the Bears should make every effort they can to acquire the 32-year-old. It would take a massive haul.

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: Chicago Tribune

Mar 6, 2021, 9:37 AM ET

The Bears are idiots.   They will spend all offseason pursuing Wilson with zero chance he actually gets traded.  The carousel will pass them by and they will start Nick Foles. 

Wilson is not getting traded.  Seattle is not taking a 38 million dollar cap hit to get rid of their QB. 

Maybe next year, Bears. 

The Bears are idiots.   They will spend all offseason pursuing Wilson with zero chance he actually gets traded.  The carousel will pass them by and they will start Nick Foles. 

Wilson is not getting traded.  Seattle is not taking a 38 million dollar cap hit to get rid of their QB. 

Maybe next year, Bears. 
Exactly!  I don't understand how a trade of wilson even happens with that kind of dead money.  I mean, I guess anything is possible but there are certain players that even if they are in decline (which wilson is not) they are better off sitting on their teams sideline (cap wise) than being anywhere else.

One way the trade could happen if Wilson really wants it is him writing a check to Seattle to refund some amount of his signing bonus to reduce the cap hit of trading him. Presumably, that would only happen if he expected to recoup that money in a restructured/extended contract with his new team.

I have no idea why he listed the Bears among his acceptable destinations, does anyone else? I kind of understand Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, and even the Jets. But I really don't get the Bears.

One way the trade could happen if Wilson really wants it is him writing a check to Seattle to refund some amount of his signing bonus to reduce the cap hit of trading him. Presumably, that would only happen if he expected to recoup that money in a restructured/extended contract with his new team.

I have no idea why he listed the Bears among his acceptable destinations, does anyone else? I kind of understand Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, and even the Jets. But I really don't get the Bears.
He is married to a pop star, and I think it is fair to assume that he and her have talked about this and would rather he play in a city where he can maximize his marketability, which explains why he would accept getting traded to Chicago. 

Wilson would make the Bears a LOT more competitive. At some point, when you have all the money ever printed, maybe you just go live where you want to.

He is married to a pop star, and I think it is fair to assume that he and her have talked about this and would rather he play in a city where he can maximize his marketability, which explains why he would accept getting traded to Chicago. 
I guess... Wilson seems very famous and marketable to me right now. Not sure what it means to say he would be able to 'maximize' that in Chicago. How so?

I could completely understand moving to a place that is better for her career. New York or LA would fit that... maybe Vegas. Does Chicago do that? Maybe it does and I don't know.

Or a place where he thinks he can excel on the field and win championships, if he thinks getting away from Carroll will help him do that... but Chicago?

I guess... Wilson seems very famous and marketable to me right now. Not sure what it means to say he would be able to 'maximize' that in Chicago. How so?

I could completely understand moving to a place that is better for her career. New York or LA would fit that... maybe Vegas. Does Chicago do that? Maybe it does and I don't know.

Or a place where he thinks he can excel on the field and win championships, if he thinks getting away from Carroll will help him do that... but Chicago?
Seattle sounds better than Chicago.  Burrr....

Maybe next year, Bears. 
@Kitten Mittens

NBC Sports' Peter King said Seattle trading Russell Wilson to the Bears is a "futile pipe dream."

King rightfully questions what Chicago could offer that would entice the Seahawks to trade away their franchise player. Even if the Bears offer Khalil Mack, Nick Foles, the 20th pick in the NFL Draft, and their 2022 first rounder, King said the Seahawks would be unlikely to make the deal and incur at $39 million cap hit in 2021. Seattle's draft position -- the team has a single selection in the first 125 picks -- makes it nearly impossible to find a quarterback of the future if they deal Wilson to Chicago. The Bears are reportedly "prioritizing" acquiring Wilson, but the team would have to blow away the Seahawks with an offer in the coming weeks. 

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Mar 8, 2021, 9:20 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Seahawks told the Bears that Russell Wilson is not being traded "at this time."

The Bears reportedly made "a very aggressive pursuit" for Wilson, but they instead had to settle for Andy Dalton as their 2021 starting quarterback. Go hug a Bears fan. This report should silence any Wilson trade rumors for the rest of the offseason, especially with the four teams that Wilson was open to going to looking settled at quarterback for now. The trade rumors never made much sense in the first place because of Wilson's contract and Seattle's "win now" roster. However, Schefter's report was careful to say "at this time", so it's possible that Wilson is headlining trade rumors following the 2021 season.

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 16, 2021, 5:34 PM ET

Dan Patrick reports the Bears offered three first round draft picks, a third-round pick, and two unnamed starters to the Seahawks for Russell Wilson. 

Perhaps the Wilson trade would have happened if the Bears had a top-five draft pick this year and Seattle could have started fresh with one of the draft's top QBs. Wilson going to Chicago would have likely meant late first round picks for Seattle in the coming years as well. It wasn't enough for the Seahawks to trade away their franchise player, who stays put for now. Meanwhile, Bears fans are readying themselves for the Andy Dalton era. 

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Mar 17, 2021, 11:27 AM ET

If those unnamed starters are any good...hard to believe they turned that down knowing Wilson isn't happy and wants out. 

Newly re-signed Seahawks DE Carlos Dunlap said he received assurances from Russell Wilson that the quarterback would remain with the team in 2021. 

“He’s with us," Dunlap said. "Here to stay." The Wilson trade chatter died down just as soon as it began, with the Bears' signing of Andy Dalton (lol) seeming to put an end to it for good. This was the second consecutive offseason Wilson could scarcely conceal his displeasure with the only organization he has ever known, but short of sitting out, he lacked the leverage to force the team's hand. With Sean McVay disciple Shane Waldron now calling the Seahawks' plays, things should be looking up for Wilson in 2021. 

RELATED: 

Carlos Dunlap

SOURCE: Omar Ruiz on Twitter 

Apr 6, 2021, 4:36 PM ET

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer said Russell Wilson is likely on his final contract with the Seahawks. 

Wilson, signed through the 2023 season, would enter his age-36 season as a free agent if Seattle moves on from their franchise QB. Breer expects questions about Wilson staying with the team to continue unless the Seahawks make a Super Bowl run this year. Breer said "it certainly seems as if where this season goes could well influence whether we’re back here again next January or February, asking if Wilson’s days in Seattle are numbered." Wilson was reportedly "on board" with the Seahawks hiring Rams assistant Shane Waldron as the team's new offensive coordinator -- a move that could (maybe) reinvigorate a Seattle offense that was broken by the end of the 2020 season. 

SOURCE: SI.com 

May 24, 2021, 9:55 AM ET

Fantasy Scouts 24/7 

@FFBallAllDay

The thing I’m arguably most excited about? The Seahawks new look offense. Brought in Waldron who will translate a mock Rams zone-scheme levels concept offense. They brought in a TON of speed with Everett and Eskridge. Wouldn’t be shocked if Russ finishes as THE QB1

Speaking Thursday, Russell Wilson said he never requested a trade.

Wilson acknowledged the list of preferred trade destinations his agent gave to ESPN, but said they were merely a roadmap for if he ended up getting traded. We are splitting hairs here, but Wilson was not traded and is now claiming he wants to finish his career in Seattle. "I love this city, I love this place, I love everything about it," Wilson said. "For me, personally, I hope I play my whole career here. That's my mission, that's my goal." This relationship seems to grow a little more fraught with each passing year, but for now, it's back on track.  

SOURCE: Michael-Shawn Dugar on Twitter 

Jun 10, 2021, 5:56 PM ET

Russell Wilson expects new OC Shane Waldron's system to be more uptempo. 

“Obviously, the tempo part of it is something that is real,” Wilson said, before also talking about how the Seahawks plan to stretch the field more. “We have some nuances across the board that really challenge the defense, using the whole field and really expanding the offense. Just using everybody as much as possible, in all different formations and different looks and different tempos.” Espousing balanced offense, Waldron wants more quick passes, featuring "shorter and more horizontal (routes) than DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett have been running in Seattle for years," in the words of reporter Gregg Bell. For his part, Wilson is on board with all of it. More tempo and more quick passes would be a boon for Wilson both in real life and fantasy. 

SOURCE: Tacoma News Tribune 

Jun 12, 2021, 10:32 AM ET

Russell Wilson completed 18-of-23 passes for 254 yards and four touchdowns in Seattle's 28-16 Week 1 win over the Colts.

In Shane Waldron's play-calling debut as Seattle's OC, the team came out firing with three touchdowns on four first-half possessions, two being 23- and (nice) 69-yard scores over the top to Tyler Lockett (4/100/2). Its offense emphasized rhythm more so than outright pass/run splits, leading to a median 54.7% pass play rate but, overall, 7.8 yards per play and 11 yards per attempt through the air; being across from Indianapolis' defense short Xavier Rhodes also helped. Fantasy managers who took a chance on Wilson after the top-five options in drafts should continue reaping the rewards of the team's new-look O against the Vikings in Week 2.

Russell Wilson completed 22-of-31 passes for 343 yards and two touchdowns in the Seahawks' 33-30, Week 2 loss to the Titans.

Wilson's two scores were both long deep balls to Tyler Lockett from 63 yards out and then Freddie Swain on a 68-yard bomb. He also rushed three times for 16 yards. Wilson has a pristine 6:0 TD:INT mark through two weeks and looks like he's loving new OC Shane Waldron's up-tempo offense that allows Wilson to push the ball down the field more often. Wilson and the Seahawks draw the Vikings in Week 3 where Wilson will be a top-six QB1.

Sep 19, 2021, 8:11 PM ET

not sure he's a must start against the Rams to be honest. I might sit him for Cousins this week against the Lions at home.

Two of his 3 lowest scoring weeks last year were vs LAR.  If I had another really strong option I’d consider it as they can disrupt wind get lots of pressure on Russ.  Not planning on a big week from him. 

Two of his 3 lowest scoring weeks last year were vs LAR.  If I had another really strong option I’d consider it as they can disrupt wind get lots of pressure on Russ.  Not planning on a big week from him. 
He’s playing against me and I’ve been snake bit and crushed by Thursday and Sunday night players all year.

So in the words of VikingFrog. Start your studs.

VikingFrog said:
He’s playing against me and I’ve been snake bit and crushed by Thursday and Sunday night players all year.

So in the words of VikingFrog. Start your studs.
I hear you about always starting your studs but between Wilson against the Rams and Cousins against the Lions, you have to admit, it's tempting.....

FOX's Jay Glazer "one million percent" expects Russell Wilson to seek a trade again in the offseason. 

Glazer's exact quote on FOX's Thursday night pre-game show was "a million percent I see Russell trying to do this again. Glazer has seemed extremely plugged into this situation all along, and again confirmed Thursday that things were "very dicey" between the sides last season, if a little better now. Ex-teammate Greg Olsen also openly speculated Wilson could try to force his way out again after 2021. It would seem Wilson is letting it be known he still isn't satisfied with a Seahawks offense that plays conservatively for three quarters before thrusting the game on his shoulders in the fourth. It would seem Wilson and coach Pete Carroll have simply been together too long at this point. Stay tuned. 

Oct 7, 2021, 8:22 PM ET

Russell Wilson completed 11-of-16 passes for 152 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the Seahawks' 26-17, Week 5 loss to the Rams before departing with a dislocated finger. 

The Seahawks' medical staff was moving mountains trying to get Wilson's right (throwing) middle finger back into place after he jammed it on Aaron Donald's forearm, but they couldn't it to a place where Wilson was comfortable. That is really saying something, as Wilson has missed only a handful of snaps his entire 10-year career. Wilson did never remove his helmet, indicating he at least thought there was a chance he might return. The only good news might be that he has 10 days to figure something out for Week 6 against the Steelers. Of course, there won't be anything to figure out if he requires surgery. That probably wouldn't be a season-ending injury, but it might be a season-ending event for Seattle in this murderous division if Wilson is forced to miss multiple starts. Stay tuned.

Speaking after Thursday's loss to the Rams, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll called Russell Wilson's finger injury a "bad sprain." 

"I wouldn't put any timeline on it right now," Carroll said rather ominously, before noting that Wilson is a "great healer." Carroll matter of factly said Wilson "couldn't throw." About the only good news is that Wilson's injury comes with 10 days to get healthy for Week 6 against the Steelers, but Carroll was already praising Geno Smith. It certainly seems like Wilson's coach is worried he will miss the first start of his 10-year career. We should get an update some time in the next 24 hours. 

SOURCE: Brady Henderson on Twitter 

Oct 8, 2021, 12:00 AM ET

Google "mallet finger" if you want to find out more about his injury. That's 100% what it is. My guess is he misses anywhere from 4-8 weeks. 

Google "mallet finger" if you want to find out more about his injury. That's 100% what it is. My guess is he misses anywhere from 4-8 weeks. 

Hate to speculate on potentially serious injury, but that sure looks/sounds exactly like what was happening with Wilson last night.

Hate to speculate on potentially serious injury, but that sure looks/sounds exactly like what was happening with Wilson last night.
Dr. Chao's near real-time commentary wasn't so negative but multiple ortho guys on twitter agree with a 6-8 week time-line.

https://twitter.com/DrJesseMorse/status/1446343182850134017?t=zze4hjKiq8Y2vnMhAVIcpQ&s=19

https://www.google.com/amp/s/doctordaliah.wordpress.com/2021/10/08/seahawks-russell-wilson-injures-finger-mallet-deformity-explained/amp/

https://twitter.com/GameInjuryDoc/status/1446309089097576453?t=ADSYAXC5SpaJFOxghtw9Eg&s=19

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Russell Wilson is undergoing an MRI on his injured finger. 

Surgery, per Rapoport, is a possibility -- a nightmare scenario for the Seahawks. Wilson exited Seattle's Week 5 loss to the Rams after spraining his finger on Aaron Donald's hand in the second half. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll described Wilson's injury as a "bad sprain" after the game, and Rapoport said the team believes Wilson could have "mallet finger," "essentially a sprained joint that makes it hard to flex a finger." All signs point to Wilson missing next week's game against the Steelers, putting Geno Smith under center for Seattle. Smith was impressive Thursday against LA, running the offense like a starter and delivering a handful of confident throws, including a fourth quarter touchdown to DK Metcalf. Tyler Lockett and Metcalf are still very much startable if Smith has to take over in Week 6. 

RELATED: 

Geno Smith

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 8, 2021, 10:39 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread