What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Radiohead (1 Viewer)

AAABatteries said:
Mr. Pickles said:
Maybe my favorite band ever.
Give me your top 3-5 songs of theirs. I'm willing to give this another try.
It doesn't quite work like that with these guys. They don't put out singles per se. I assume most people at least enjoy The Bends and OK Computer. The bigger hill to climb is probably Kid A and anything that follows. For me, there was barely a transition. I've enjoyed pretty much all of it.

Try this: watch their "From the Basement" videos which feature the albums King of Limbs and In Rainbows. If those don't grab you, it's safe to say they aren't for you.
This. Particularly the from the basement videos (YouTube)

I don't smoke or take hallucinogens, and they are among my favorites if not my favorite as well. Brilliant stuff compositionally. If you're looking for catchy hooks, they're probably not your thing. That's okay.

I

The Jools Holland performances are mostly strong.

I much prefer the In Rainbows From the Basement, but this is from the King of Limbs and is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard.

Codex

I much prefer the In Rainbows From the Basement, but this is from the King of Limbs and is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard.

Codex
Yep.. Codex is as brilliant/haunting as any tune I've ever heard.

Certain styles appeal to certain folks. I personally think Rush is comically bad, and Geddy Lee's voice is nails on a chalkboard despite multiple attempts at indoctrination by serious fans. It's unsurprising that a big fan of theirs would feel the same way about Radiohead.

Just two different types of music.

Codex

Certain styles appeal to certain folks. I personally think Rush is comically bad, and Geddy Lee's voice is nails on a chalkboard despite multiple attempts at indoctrination by serious fans. It's unsurprising that a big fan of theirs would feel the same way about Radiohead.

But I really like some of Radiohead's stuff. Like I love those two albums. Just a huge departure for me post OK Computer.

In Rainbows kinda brought me back.....but I latched on to Muse and love them far more. They stayed the course with guitar driven progressive, rock with pop hooks. I thought Radiohead was on that path then Kid A happened. But despite all that, anytime they come to my neck of the woods I am there to see them live. They are an incredible live band and in fact some of the Kid A and beyond stuff really sounds better live and in that setting as opposed to the album.

I have a very diverse love for many types of progressive/alternative rock. Rush is my favorite of all time, but I have many bands I adore besides them. And I would never try to convince anyone that Rush is all mighty. You either get it or you don't.

Much like Radiohead's post Computer work. I really don't "feel it". Pretty simple. But live.....they are $$$$$

1. Subterranean Homesick Alien

2. Paranoid Android

3. Street Spirit (Fade Out)

4. Black Star

5. Planet Telex

too easy.

but thanks for checking in.
I think they are a band like Pink Floyd where you need to smoke some before listening and then it is mind blowing. For those of us who don't partake it just sounds like meandering nonsense.
Let's hear your top 3, hoss.
Top 3 bands? Beatles, Kinks, Simon and Garfunkel - maybe Stones, Van Morrison

I admit I just don't have an ear for it - I wish I did - I've tried. I mentioned earlier some newer stuff I like.

too easy.

but thanks for checking in.
I think they are a band like Pink Floyd where you need to smoke some before listening and then it is mind blowing. For those of us who don't partake it just sounds like meandering nonsense.
Let's hear your top 3, hoss.
Top 3 bands? Beatles, Kinks, Simon and Garfunkel - maybe Stones, Van Morrison

I admit I just don't have an ear for it - I wish I did - I've tried. I mentioned earlier some newer stuff I like.
All good bands. Pioneers, all of them. Stones' Exile is one of my favorites of all time.

Todem said:
[icon] said:
Apple Jack said:

Codex

But I really like some of Radiohead's stuff. Like I love those two albums. Just a huge departure for me post OK Computer.

In Rainbows kinda brought me back.....but I latched on to Muse and love them far more. They stayed the course with guitar driven progressive, rock with pop hooks. I thought Radiohead was on that path then Kid A happened. But despite all that, anytime they come to my neck of the woods I am there to see them live. They are an incredible live band and in fact some of the Kid A and beyond stuff really sounds better live and in that setting as opposed to the album.

I have a very diverse love for many types of progressive/alternative rock. Rush is my favorite of all time, but I have many bands I adore besides them. And I would never try to convince anyone that Rush is all mighty. You either get it or you don't.

Much like Radiohead's post Computer work. I really don't "feel it". Pretty simple. But live.....they are $$$$$
Yep, with music, you either feel it or you don't, and Radiohead's music, especially in the 21st century, is definitely "out there" enough to where it's not for everyone.

I also love Muse, probably about as much as Radiohead, although I think Radiohead's highs are a bit higher (and there are some Muse songs I love to death, too). I am a big fan of the majority of Muse's records, but none of their albums as a whole touch the awesomeness of In Rainbows or OK Computer, IMO (although Black Holes and Revelations is pretty ####### great). :thumbup: :thumbup:

Went back to In Rainbows over the last couple weeks. Such an incredible batch of songs, not a dud in there. Best band of the last twenty years by a large margin.

I listened to them casually until OK Computer came out and at that point I became a huge fan. I vaguely remember listening to Kid A for the first time and being totally blindsided, and then I gradually fell in love with it. Still my favorite album of theirs. And I think subsequent albums have all been excellent—yes, even King of Limbs.

dammit... wish I could remember the password and related info to my Self Important Snob alias.

but I still love me some radiohead- rocky or electronicy. 

Love In Rainbows. Odd that it's not on any of the streaming services like Spotify, but I own it and listen somewhat often.
Thom's stuff isn't streaming either.  Not sure why In Rainbows isn't when the others are.  Does he have more of a controlling % on that album or something?

In Rainbows is probably one of my 10 favorite albums ever. 

I liked The King of Limbs, but I didn't love it.

Hoping this new one is another major winner. 

Cannot wait for their new material. While KOL was the first work of theirs that made me  :unsure: , I have no doubt they'll come roaring back.

Users who are viewing this thread